Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #241
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnegie1935 View Post
I picked up 100 pin on plastic sleeve badges today compatable to avery label 2308 I will check and see if I have the template available If not we can write on blanks with a sharpie. These would be reuseable for future rallies just by doing new inserts. I wasnt able to copy the squirell logo
the badge blank is 3.5 x 2.25 8 per page I like these better than stickons

Kay
After putting in the avery number, I could not locate the label. I looked up Avery labels by the measurements you listed and found these labels that look like they will work.

I used the online designer for the Avery 5390 labels (The ones in the link above), and here is something I put together. I do not have a printer or I wouldn't have an issue printing these up. I can send the master file to someone who can print though, but they need the labels.

Steve
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #242
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
gypsy will be in today either 221 or 223, also you guys decide on the labels I have the printer.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #243
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
We just grabbed 225.

I need to get with the wife to decide on what we're brining in the evenings.

The map and listing made it easy, thanks for that. Not much help from the office on site details...

Paul...
PaulAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #244
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Paul,

Nice to have you and yours. Looks like Top got some company after all.

By the way...anyone know the forum name for Elizabeth Shelby in 414?

Steve
Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #245
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey guys, prim and I are in for tubing...

What's the new rules? I heard some rule changes about floating coolers not allowed or something like that?

Shall we bring our own tubes? We usually have used ones with a net bottom to help keep our big butts from dragging the riverbed in shallow water or lower water levels....
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #246
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post

What's the new rules? I heard some rule changes about floating coolers not allowed or something like that?

Shall we bring our own tubes? We usually have used ones with a net bottom to help keep our big butts from dragging the riverbed in shallow water or lower water levels....

Hey Cap,

I am not entirely sure about that. Sean will chime in I am sure. We were out on the river last weekend and saw coolers. Bringing your own tubes are permitted, and we have considered getting some at Academy since tube rentals would be $21, and only be a little more for purchasing. I happen to like the net bottom tubes, and there is a double tube with cooler in the middle!!!!!!

Still haven't ruled out bringing the canoe since the water was pretty slow last week even after all that rain we had. Nobody wants to miss dinner from slow toobin!

Steve
Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #247
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I have decided to not bring food for two reasons:

1. I won't have a sure place to store it safely and I don't want to poison anyone...

2. I volunteer to clean up, wash dishes etc. I'll also be happy to walk the rally site and make sure there's no trash laying around, etc. Not that it would be OUR trash, but it reflects on us.

Instead, I'll bring some beers

I am also thinking we should do this again, maybe towards the end of the season in October/November, which in this part of Texas usually means sunny days in the high 70s/low 80s still
Old 05-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #248
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Kevin, this is not likely 'canon' for the stretch of the river we will be floating, but give you a good idea of the rules:

Guadalupe River Rules, Comal River Rules, New Braunfels River Regulations, Ordinances, Restrictions, Canyon Lake, Texas

Unless you are into bringing jello shots or kegs and you stay away from glass containers and styrofoam coolers, you should be golden.

Steve, what is the estimate float time for this stretch of the river and how far is the take out? I wish I could say I have trained my dogs to ride along with me in a toob or canoe, but I can't. But maybe they can tow the keg toob for me.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #249
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Steve add that we will bring a salad for Friday night, seems like that's not on the list
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #250
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Kevin, this is not likely 'canon' for the stretch of the river we will be floating, but give you a good idea of the rules:

Guadalupe River Rules, Comal River Rules, New Braunfels River Regulations, Ordinances, Restrictions, Canyon Lake, Texas

Unless you are into bringing jello shots or kegs and you stay away from glass containers and styrofoam coolers, you should be golden.

Steve, what is the estimate float time for this stretch of the river and how far is the take out? I wish I could say I have trained my dogs to ride along with me in a toob or canoe, but I can't. But maybe they can tow the keg toob for me.
Chris,

Dave Park and I went out on the canoe last weekend and the trip was 3 hours. That included a fair amount of paddling, and we only stopped once for maybe 10 minutes to let Collin get out and play in the water. There were a few pretty good looking rope swings on the river early on....to the point where I was wishing I had stopped.

We put in with the canoe up river from Pecan Park at the Blind Salamander RV Park (Google Maps). If you look at that link, just south of the park on the map is the bridge crossing. We then floated past Pecan park, and took out at Sculls Crossing.

The attached map shows the route with both put ins, and the take out.

The Southwestern Paddler is a great resource for not just the San Marcos, but many rivers in the area. The info on San Marcos is pretty good.

Last weekend, we put in well after a set of tubes that entered at the park. We passed them and Sean went back later to retrieve them. We can go either way, but i would like to give Collin a chance to get out of the toob and swim at some point, we'll be bugging me to the entire trip.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	float.png
Views:	117
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	130185  
Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #251
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Up date

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Sean, I do not know any of those names that you listed. Where did they get placed? Any word on if Gypsy got in?

Updated List:

201 scorpiontimo (Sean & Rondi rally Host)
204 Lenord park resident
205 Les Camper Clinc ll
NOTE THESE 3 SITES ARE MONTHLY AND AWAY FROM THE RALLY ARE
120--------open site------------------------
221 Argosy Gypsy
222 Carl Johnson
223--------open site------------------------
224--------open site------------------------
225 Paul Air
226 TOP
318 Rich Hog
319 Sphereguy
320 Bwoodtx (Bruce)
321 Whitsend (Jim)
322 Soldiermedic (Steve, Amy, and Collin)
323 not part of the rally
324 Sams
325 J&C (John & Charles)
326 Silverspurs (Mark & Audrey)
327 JDH350 (John & Connie)
328 Lynn Richard from AR a long way away in on Sat
329 not part of the rally
330 51 Cruisette (Erica)
331 Bambi Bandit (Keven & Prim)
413 Mikenlora (Mike & Lora)
414 Elizabeth Shelby
415 87MH (Dennis & Mary)
416 Debgordon98 (Deb)
417 Carnegre1935 This lovely young lady in a 30ft MH way cool
418 Westfalia (Chris)
OK ONLY 5 MORE SITES OPEN IF WE NEED MORE I WILL TRY AND GET A MONTHLY SITE FOR OUR USE OR OVERFLOW WHICH WE HAVE 9 OF ONLY HAS WATER & ELC BUT A GOOD HIKE FROM THE ACTION

Friday evening:
Scorpiontimo-Peach Cobbler and Popcorn
Soldiermedic-Chips with homemade dip and salsa
J&C-Nuts
Whitsend - Some kinda snack, TBD
jdh350-Some kind of snack, TBD
Bambi Bandit-Sausages
Sphere Guy - Swedish Meatballs
Bwoodtx-Chicken fajitas & fixins
debgordon98-Brisket
MikenLora-Pasta Salad
Top-Potato Salad
Carnegie1935-Breadpudding/Peach Cobbler

Saturday evening:
Scorpiontimo-Ribs and Chicken
Soldiermedic-Armadillo Eggs or Mixed Green Salad (Depends if smoker is working)
bwoodtx-Baked Beans
J&C-Potato Salad
Whitsend - Cole Slaw
jdh350- Slow cooker brisket
Bambi Bandit-Dessert
Sphere Guy - Oriental Salad and Bread
debgordon98-Jalapeno Corn Casserole
MikenLora-Crawfish fettuccini
Top-Lil Smokies
RichHog-Deviled Eggs
Sams-Cheesy garlic grits
Carnegie1935-Breadpudding/Peach Cobbler

Sunday Morning
Scorpiontimo -Coffee
Whitsend - Shipley's Donuts

Sunday Evening
Everyone who is staying, bring your leftovers and put them to good use!
update on all sites as of today at 1300
Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #252
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post

No worry bring your own tube's or rent them from the park at $7 ea, and you can take a cooler we discourage glass everything else is good. the float is 1.5 hour from the drop off point to the park this is the only float I recommend as the longer float use to be 3 hours is now 4.5 to 5hr due to water level and currant, from low water and a bit of walking the 1.5 hour is a nice float and with park tube's we have them for 24 hours so can use them on Sun if you want I told the park shuttle trips are free for the rally people so only pay out is the rental fee , if you dnt have your own tube's real good deal. Sean
Old 05-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #253
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
If anyone is even considering this event, there are very few remaining sites. Right now other than the basic sites with no shade, the only available sites are 223,224, and 120. The park is not going to hold spots as they are giving the spaces away first come, first served. The 120 is a premium site which includes a non usable Chimnea due to the burn ban, and a propane grill. Sounds like the Bonfire is out, but I will bring my propane "Fire Dancer" for all to gather round...we'll do that nightly for interested folks, right behind 322 (Where it shows fire pics on the map).

CALL AND RESERVE NOW...you can always cancel if you cannot make it.

Steve
Old 05-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #254
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
Connie and I will float on Sat, just not sure if we will bring tubes or kayaks. Anyone know if it is deep enough for kayaks?
Silvertherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #255
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh350 View Post
Connie and I will float on Sat, just not sure if we will bring tubes or kayaks. Anyone know if it is deep enough for kayaks?
Saw several canoes and kayaks out last weekend. All depends on how far you want to float. There are a few shallow areas near the rapids, but they are much further down steam towards the Sculls crossing.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #256
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Steve, you are illustrating the big difference with toobs versus a kayak or canoe. The stretch of the Guadalupe behind my house has some very slow spots where if you have a head wind, you will actually be blow back UPSTREAM. I have to image that with the low flows we have now, it's probably a 6 hours float for 2 1/2 - 3 miles. This equates to about 2 1/2 to three hours of paddle in an inflatable kayak, probably a little slower in a big heavy canoe. There are zero pull outs for that entire stretch, so you are committed once you begin.

Anyway, just trying to equate it to how well my girls will handle a long float. Maybe a canoe towing a toob is the way to go.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #257
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
It is a huge difference Chris. I like the canoe, and 3 hours isn't all that bad in my opinion, but toobs are much slower and will die at some points along the route. I think Seans decision for now stands as good reasoning. Take the toobs from the bridge to the park. It is only an hour, but if we stop at those rope swings it may entertain us. I dunno how many folks I could tow with my canoe. It depends on the overall length, the rating of my keel, and if I have 10" or 12" paddles to break with

Steve

On Edit...I think I'll scout out the river before we go on Saturday to get an idea for the flow.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #258
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Trust me guys

At any given time from Fri, sat , sun there is over 300 tube's on the water from the low bridge to a place called Don's fish camp which is about 30 minutes less than getting out at Skulls bridge. that run I just talked about is 5 hours it has 2 places that are low water and low flow which is why it takes that long. Now for my drop off at the low bridge it is one hour and a half with any where from a foot to 6 foot of water in places,of which I put close to 60 a day on weekends in the water. For kayak and canoe it will be 2 hour and a half to 3 hour paddling from the low bridge to skulls there are other spots for paddling the river and I have been to most with this drought The San Marcos for now is flowing good for both tube's and paddles, and it has been consistent light rain all day may be give just a little very little better flow? The business across the street from me is putting an average of 100 plus each week end on the water all canoe's and many kayaks
Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #259
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I dunno how many folks I could tow with my canoe. It depends on the overall length, the rating of my keel, and if I have 10" or 12" paddles to break with
You mischievous mariner, you!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #260
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
And you need to have properly balanced paddling gear too!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally, san marcos, texas