Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What months for a Cedar Point Rally would be best for your family?
May (Schools in session) (Waterpark closed till last week) 2 7.41%
June (School in session first half) 4 14.81%
July (Exended hours) 10 37.04%
August (Extend hours first 3 weekends) 13 48.15%
September (Waterpark closed) (Halloweekends starts midway) 4 14.81%
October (Halloweekends) 4 14.81%
November (Final Weekend is the first weekend) 1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Cedar Point Amusement Park - 2008 Rally

As I sit here listening to the less-than-favorable weather reports, my mind is wondering about better places & better times. Two of my favorite summertime activities keep coming up; Airstreaming & Cedar Point.

My family has season passes. We really enjoy going up to Sandusky to ride, eat, or sometime just walk on one of the finest beaches on the Great Lakes.

We have never stayed "on point". So, next year, we are going to give it a try.

With that said, anyone want to come along? I anticipate a weekend trip. Probably in summer, but I wouldn't rule out Holloweekends. Cedar Point truly is at it's best during the fall.

If I get some positive interest, I'll see what it would take to hold a block of sites at camper village.

Did I mention the roller coasters!

-DanB
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Dan,

Cool idea... this is the type of trip we hope to be doing with our trailer (when I finish it ). I can't say yet if I'll be to that point by the time you schedule the rally but I'll be watching this thread and if the timing is right... we'll plan on attending.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Cedar Point

Hi Dan!
We have been to Cedar Point many times but have never been to camp there. More information would be welcomed.....are they booked long in advance? what is available? cost? etc.
Lou and Larry....downtown, in dreary LaGrange!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
we'd be interested, keep the info coming.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
From the Cedar Point Website:

Enjoy The Great Outdoors
For RV owners, Camper Village is a dream come true. Camper Village accommodates a wide variety of campers and RVs, from deluxe sites with electricity, water, sewer and cable, to 112 electric only sites. All sites have a charcoal grill and picnic table. There are modern restrooms and shower facilities,a laundromat,swimming pool,and a camping supply store making Camper Village the complete RV campground. Camper Village guests also have easy access to the Cedar Point Beach, Soak City, Challenge Park and Cedar Point. There are facilities to fill potable water holding tanks on either side of both bathhouses and there is one dump station for use by all guests of Camper Village and Lighthouse Point. (Ground fires and/or tent camping, either alone or in conjunction with your RV, are PROHIBITED.)

And a older review (2005)

Cedar Point is the undisputed roller coaster capitol of the world and this theme park also has a great RV park right next door.

Sandusky is located in Northern Ohio, just off Ohio Route 2 on the shores of Lake Erie. Cedar Point is a sliver of land that juts out into Lake Erie and the theme park and campground are located here. The concept is a lot like Disney... a destination vacation with everything located on the property.
The first thing you'll notice is that the campground is right next to the theme park. In fact, campers have their own entrance to the theme park. That's cool!

The campground has 283 sites, but only 59 full hook-ups. All full hookup sites are paved and include electricity (30/50amp), water, sewer, and cable. Water is only available on the full hookup sites. All sites have a charcoal grill and picnic table. Ground fires and tent camping, either alone or in conjunction with your RV, are PROHIBITED. Campers can purchase discounted tickets to the theme park at the camp store where you will also find a limited selection of groceries and camping supplies.
Individual sites are a little on the small side, but it's understandable when you consider that they pack a lot into this small penninsula of land on Lake Erie. All the sites though, are level, very clean and well maintained. A few have a bit of shade but most (RV sites) are open. Cedar Point Camper Village is not where you would want to go for a little privacy, it's simply ment to be another accommodation option when visiting the theme park. In that respect, it's a great place to camp. Get up in the morning to a freshly made plate of ham, eggs toast and coffee. Casually prepare for a day at the park while you hear the faint clank of the coaster tracks. Then, just a few steps away you enter the campground's private gate to the park and you're there! No lines, no waiting! Spend a few hours at the park and then head back to your RV for some lunch and relaxation then head back to the park when you feel like it. For theme park lovers, it doesn't get any better than this!

Rates start at $53/night....

www.campnova.com

Old 01-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Maybe we'll see you there

If the Globetrotter is roadworthy by then, I would be very interested, schedule permitting. Keep us posted with plans for this one. Last trip to Cedar Point about 3 years ago, stayed in a hotel; spent Friday afternoon at the attached water park and all day Saturday in the amusement park. Actually did camp there 30 or so years ago but don't remember much about that.
Only $53 per night? Makes me wonder if they have put up the big billboard yet on the causeway indicating at which point you're supposed to grab your ankles upon arrival. Sure, the place is a blast, but I think the only opportunity they have missed to help themselves to the guests' wallets is not installing coin-operated drinking fountains.
Still, it would be fun, so count me as a definite maybe.
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Sounds fun!

Cedar Point is a great park, haven't been since the new owners took over. Let me know when you get dates, we are only 4-5 hours away, would be a great weekend trip.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Dan,

We are on board as long as the dates agree.
I am open to doing the Halloweekend deal too. I have been to CP several times but not in the past ten years or so.
Never camped there but I have seen the campground many times from the top of the Gemini!
Keep us in the loop!

Lou
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Sounds like a great Idea, however, I HATE ROLLERCOASTERS!!!!! I hope anyone who goes has a great time!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
A great place to camp

We have been doing CP for a number of years, it is my number 1 place to go. My oldest has worked there for the past 2 seasons, I get to go drop her off and pick her up, we have season passes. I have camped in the old circle as well as the 5 star new area, both are very cool. If you like lots to do, noise, kids, coasters, more coasters and more coasters this is the place to go. Me I'll be there at least 2 times next summer getting the kid(s) to work and spending a week picking them up when they are done.

I can't say enough about the place, its like the 4th of July and Christmas all in one!

You need to do this
Ed
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I doubt I could get Lorrie to go to CP, but I towed the Airstream down there is past year and my brother met me there with my neice and nephew. $65/nite for a pull thru "electric only" in "the circle". 3 point hookups would have been $20 more, except they were sold out before I tried to book a site. It would have been $5 less for a "back in" site, if one is available (I ended up backing in anyway).

It was the most expensive camp site I have ever had, and one of the best. Yeah, there's some noise being as you are right below one of the roller coasters, but at least you hear people having fun. Great to be staying so close to the park "back entrance". Great to be able to get in the park an hour before the crowds each morning. Great to be able to head back to the trailer for lunch rather than buy expensive junk food in the park. Great to be able to use the trailer to change into swim suits before heading to the beach or water park. I suspect that my brother, neice, nephew, and I will duplicate this event again in 2008, based upon their schedule.

I'm not sure I can make it for an organized event (not good to leave Lorrie home during camping season, other than that one trip with my brother and family), but I highly recommend it as a destination to anyone else.

If you want to reserve some sites, do it early. I don't know that you can reserve individual sites (I think they are assigned as you arrive), nor if someone can reserve a group of sites, so you may have to make individual reservations and you may be spread all over the camping area if a group goes.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
Our family has become great roller coaster fans, and Cedar Point is on our list of places to visit in the next 18 months....So a rally would be just the excuse we need to drive a little north. Keep us informed,as we are interested!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Poll Added

I've added a poll to help determine when the best time for a rally would be. Please take the time to voice an opinion! Note that multiple choices are available.

Thanks!

www.campnova.com

Old 01-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
Dogs rule!

1972 23' Safari
Big Cove , Alabama
We're interested!

My teenage boys and I were just talking about a maiden voyage (restorations to be done by April or May - yoo-hoo!) and Cedar Point came up as an option. Maybe a sign? Keep us posted -

Becky
Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Camp Site Image

Here is the area that I'm going to negotiate to use. I'll see if they will allow me to block the 13 "in the round" spaces.

Note the location to: the pool, hot tub, Lake Erie, Mean Streak.....
Attached Images
File Type: bmp cp2.bmp (282.4 KB, 95 views)

www.campnova.com

Old 01-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
The children and I have been talking about a camping trip to cedar point. They loved the Michigan rally with the AS's. I guess when a date is nailed down we will see if we are able to reserve a spot. Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Monday I will be contacting Cedar Point about this idea. If you are interested, please voice your opinion on the poll. I'll see what they say and report back.

Right now, it looks like August is the most popular.

Lets grow this Rally!

www.campnova.com

Old 02-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Went to Cedar point about 15 years ago on a trip to Toledo. At that time they had the worlds tallest coaster, and one of the fastest.

It may be a long shot to make this since we would rather go without Collin to enjoy Cedar Point. I will keep up on info you post.

Steve
Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Rally Update...

Pending coordination with other local rallys, it looks like we are shooting for August 1st and 2nd.

As Camper Village sells out almost every night, Cedar Point has no need to negotiate prices. I'm looking to block 13 spots "back-in" full hook up spots in a semi-circle. These are $84 per night. Electric only spots are $64. Spots will be held until 60 days prior.

If enough participants think we should only get electric and save $20, I'll change the block. Otherwise, I'll leave it where it is. PLEASE let me know if you consider the price a "deal-breaker"!

Good news is we will get discount tickets! Prices will be announced when available.

As soon as I have some more things finalized, I'll post an "official" announcement.

www.campnova.com

Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
Still interested. I'll have a chat with the spousal unit.

Anyone know if they is much for a five year old to do?

Personally $20 for the water and dump seems a little over the top. Are those sites that much nicer?
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote