Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Air4USA

2011 25' FB International
Idyllwild , California
Caravan experience

We have had our 25ft Airstream for one year and have taken a number of interesting and fun trips.We are considering the 30 day Great River Road Experience Caravan. Any comments or suggestions on the following:
l. What do you think about caravaning in general?
2. What are your thoughts about this trip??
Air4USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
No experience caravanning, but I spent time camping last week with quite a few who have. It sounds like a great way to travel - if you have the time. The costs seem very reasonable.

I live not too far from the Great River Road in Illinois and parts of it have spectacular views, especially between Alton and Grafton.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Caravan experience

Greetings Air4USA!

I have been a member of WBCCI since 1995 and have participated in a number of caravans, and each one has been a wonderful experience that has included the opportunity to learn something new about the area visited as well as the time to meet many new and interesting people. Often, these caravans provide an opportunity to see and do things that may not be readily available to the individual traveler who is just passing through the area. The background preparation done by the caravan leaders is considerable and can involve months, if not years, of research and preparation.

I, too, live near The Great River Road, and agree that it offers a wonderful scenic and learning experience. A caveat for this season is that flooding has been an issue in the region South of St. Louis so there may be sections that are in rough condition, and/or there may be sections where traffic is detoured due to flood damage. I wouldn't consider the flood detours a great detriment, but it may impact some of the points of interest along the route.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am on a caravan now. I like caravaning. Pick one that looks good to you and go.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote