Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #519
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Update To Potlucks 11/19/14

A reminder. Please supply a utensil with your contribution and a label if not self explanatory. Both will serve to move the line and insure those of us that are at the front of the line will not be held up when going for seconds.

1. Thursday, January 8 Chili and Dessert at Clubhouse (4:30pm):

Alumitater: Chili and garnishes (grated cheese, jalapeño peppers, etc)
Protagonist: Rice
Firedog: Cornbread
2ColliesCan: Maker's Mark Bourbon Chili
BassCan: Julie's Can Opener Chili
Al and Missy: Chicken/White Bean Chili
AirHeadsRUs: Chili (I know, not very descriptive but I save all my creativity for Bloody Saturday...)
GWTFLO:Rob and Patti: Cream cheese pound cake
Silver Peanut: Chili and crackers
Paddledipper: Basic Chili & Fritos
TVKetchum, Tom and Vicki: Too Hot to Handle Chili, and sweet cornbread
To Gulls: Chili and southern cornbread
Moonkitty: Rum cake
Rivetng: Cub Scouts..........(brownies with nuts)
Remax Gal: Dump Cake
knunut: Healthy Green Salad
Luckyducks: Strawberry Toffee Trifle
Captain Hank: Chili
Silverbee: Rice Krispy Treats and Cheese Tray with Crackers

2. Saturday, January 10 Dinner on Wild Oak Lane (5:30pm):

Alumitater: Conecuh County sausage and beans
Protagonist: Beef stew with red wine gravy
Firedog: Garden Salad
2ColliesCan: Thanksgiving Day Casserole
BassCan: fudge brownies
Al and Missy: Baked Beans
AirHeadsRUs: Something Fabulous (see note above....)
GWTFLO: Rob and Patti: Pasta salad
Silver Peanut: Brunswick stew
Paddledipper: Asian Chicken & Cabbage Salad
TVKetchum, Tom and Vicki: Enchilada Pie
To Gulls: Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Moonkitty: Something yummy
Rivetng: Jambalaya
Remax Gal: I think I'll wait until closer to time and see what's needed.
GloryBound: Penne Pasta /sun dried tomatoes
knunut: Bar-B-Q Meatballs
Luckyducks: Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
Captain Hank: Ham
Silverbee: Sweet Potato Casserole and Butterbeans

3. Sunday, January 11 Breakfast at Clubhouse (9am):

Alumitater: TBA
Firedog: Hash Brown Potatoes
2ColliesCan: Mini Bloody Mary Bar
BassCan: fruit tray
Silver Peanut: Grits and country ham
Paddledipper: Shrimp & Grits
TVKetchum, Tom and Vicki: Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
To Gulls: Nassau Grits
Moonkitty: Breakfast Casserole
Rivetng: Mimosas
Remax Gal: Breakfast Casserole
GWTFLO: something sweet. Muffins or cinnamon rolls
Al and Missy: Green Eggs and Ham aka Scrambled Eggs with Bacon and Green Onions
knunut: Oatmeal and Fruit Muesli
Luckyducks: One Gallon of Orange Juice and Cups
Silverbee: NC country ham and stone ground grits casserole

Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #520
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGUE88 View Post
First time user of this forum. We made a reservation at Top Sail for lot #74 several months ago. We will be in our Airstream 345 motorhome. This will be our first Canopener. Fact finding mission! This will also be our first airstream event. We are looking forward to meeting you all! The "we" stands for me (Billy) and my wife (Karen).
Billy: Looking forward to meeting you and Karen. There are a number of first-timers coming, so you will be right at home. You will find Topsail to be a hard venue to beat.

As a reminder, Florida 55 put together videos for the last two Canopeners which will give you a good feel for the event. Here is a link to last years (look for post #916):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...100346-66.html

Hopefully this thread will provide all the information you need, if not be sure and holler.

Tom and Robin

Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #521
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Pot lucks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I am just starting to catch up with this thread and looking forward to meeting all you AVATARS out there in real life! This may have been done but for those of us new, tell us about how many pot lucks to plan for, and what other things that require packing for, etc. I don't want to be a moocher but rather an contributor. I gather there are three pot licks it looks like (thanks Howie).
Hello Rodsterfl
So glad you've choosen to participate in the Can Opener. Regarding potlucks, all of them, as is every event, are totally voluntary. That being said, if y'all are there early, Thursday has turned into Chili Night potluck, of course there's the Saturday Night Throw Down potluck - that's a bring your favorite potluck dish - and the last potluck is the Sunday Morning breakfast.
A note to you and all 1st timers (and perhaps a reminder to others!) as to what to bring: please make enough food to feed a minimum of 10+ people; please bring all your own eating utensils and drinks (the exception to the drinks is Margaritaville Friday and Bloody Saturday!!); and Friday night is also a BYOC - bring your own chair, and table too for that matter! As Howie mentioned earlier, always provide a serving utensil for your potluck dish and label what your fabulous culinary entree is!!! Speaking of labels, it would be wise to put your name on all your serving pieces, that way when those of us that are tossing the dishes to the side, err I mean when those of us that are clearing and cleaning the tables, you'll be able to ID your stuff!
Hope that helps, or perhaps hinders, your participation! The bottom line for all of the Can Opener is to have FUN
Annette
Old 11-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #522
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Oops, I meant BYOC for Saturday night!
Annette
Old 11-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #523
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Hi all,
We've been full-time for the past year and everytime I spy a rally, either too far in the future to know where we'd be, wrong time, wrong place. Finally we'll make one (tho technically, I guess we'll be party crashers as Topsail is full—shock—and we will be staying down the road at Grayton Beach, #59 should any other late bloomers want to cluster for a Canopener East Annex). While we've seen the occasional neighboring streamer to chat with, it's lonely out there nestled between the montster Mo Hos... Looking forward to meeting a few of those "avatars" who have many times smoothed our leap into living on the road with sage advice and no small amount of encouragement.
Al & Robin.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2011 F250 XLT 6.2L FlexFuel SD, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #524
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Canopener 2012 Throwback

Thought some of the new folks might like to see the Canopener 12 video that I produced. This was the last year that Jenn and I hosted, and probably the last year that everyone fit into the Clubhouse. Canopener has grown to the point that it needs more volunteers each year to be successful. You can call them anything you wish (organizers, guru's, whatever), but without their efforts, it would a bit chaotic and not nearly as enjoyable. One of the reasons for Canopener's success has been the willingness of the "volunteers" to do whatever was necessary to make it happen. I made the mistake of trying to do too much on my own when we were hosting, and consequently became quite grumpy by the end of the rally. Russ was much smarter, and formed a committee to handle different tasks. I saw that Tom is asking for 2016 volunteers, and I encourage you to step forward and continue to support this great Airstream Rally. Even though we have sold our Airstream, some of our best memories are of the Canopener Rallies. We are looking forward to attending this year and visiting with old friends (staying in one of the aluminum-sided cabins).

Ron & Jenn

Canopener 2012 - YouTube

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #525
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I just looked at the sites and as of tonight at 11:54pm, there is only one RV site left at Topsail Canopener weekend- site #21!!! We pretty much filled the place.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #526
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Thought some of the new folks might like to see the Canopener 12 video that I produced. This was the last year that Jenn and I hosted, and probably the last year that everyone fit into the Clubhouse. Canopener has grown to the point that it needs more volunteers each year to be successful. You can call them anything you wish (organizers, guru's, whatever), but without their efforts, it would a bit chaotic and not nearly as enjoyable. One of the reasons for Canopener's success has been the willingness of the "volunteers" to do whatever was necessary to make it happen. I made the mistake of trying to do too much on my own when we were hosting, and consequently became quite grumpy by the end of the rally. Russ was much smarter, and formed a committee to handle different tasks. I saw that Tom is asking for 2016 volunteers, and I encourage you to step forward and continue to support this great Airstream Rally. Even though we have sold our Airstream, some of our best memories are of the Canopener Rallies. We are looking forward to attending this year and visiting with old friends (staying in one of the aluminum-sided cabins).

Ron & Jenn

Canopener 2012 - YouTube
Ron, thanks for the comments and for posting the video. We did have fun! Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #527
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post

Ron & Jenn

Canopener 2012 - YouTube
Thanks, Chief, for your participation and your experience in hosting Canopener. And thanks for reminding attendees we sure need volunteers each year to pull off a successful rally.

We still need a couple of folks to volunteer to "ride herd" on the Thursday night Chili and Dessert and the Sunday morning potlucks for this year's rally. These events pretty much run themselves, but do require someone go over to the clubhouse early to make sure tables and chairs are arranged for the event and then return the clubhouse to original condition afterwards. I promise you will not be by yourselves.....folks always pitch in to help. Holler at me if you could help out.

Look forward to more frequent posts as we enter our last month of preparations.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #528
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcate View Post
Hi all,
We've been full-time for the past year and everytime I spy a rally, either too far in the future to know where we'd be, wrong time, wrong place. Finally we'll make one (tho technically, I guess we'll be party crashers as Topsail is full—shock—and we will be staying down the road at Grayton Beach, #59 should any other late bloomers want to cluster for a Canopener East Annex). While we've seen the occasional neighboring streamer to chat with, it's lonely out there nestled between the montster Mo Hos... Looking forward to meeting a few of those "avatars" who have many times smoothed our leap into living on the road with sage advice and no small amount of encouragement.
Al & Robin.
What a great idea. Hopefully others that are wanting to attend but have not been able to get a spot at Topsail will join you.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #529
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Hoping so... thanks for the "endorsement"
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2011 F250 XLT 6.2L FlexFuel SD, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #530
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
We can pitch in. Hope to arrive on Thursday.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #531
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The closer we get to Canopener time more people will drop out. Keep a close eye on the Topsail reservations page for openings.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #532
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCan View Post
We can pitch in. Hope to arrive on Thursday.
Thanks, BassCan! I'll send you a PM to follow up.
Tom