Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #621
Never Enough Rivets

2000 19' Bambi
2006 23' Safari SE
Pensacola , Florida
Till Next Time

It was sad to have to say goodbye, but once again, Canopener did not dissappoint. We had a great time, made even more friends than on previous get togethers, and look forward to next year. Thanks for the great video Levon, it really captured the spirit of the weekend, and thanks again to Russ, Greg, Stan, and all the others that had a hand in making things work right for everyone.
We wish safe travel to you all!

Jeff & Cindy
aka, Rivetng, aka, Bambi & the Beast, aka, Texaco Man, aka (insert your own comment) except you Greg, I don't need anymore of your comments
Rivetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #622
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
Thanks to Russ and Linda and others for their hard work to make this a great Canopener. It was our first and we hope to be there next year.

If any of our Canopener friends come to Charleston, SC give us a shout, we have parking with hook ups.

I am posting a few departure pictures.

Thanks for everything,

Henry and Melinda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060020.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	176220   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060022.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	176221  

Name:	P1060024.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	176222  
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #623
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Tom, Patti, and Raina the furr baby thank one and all concerned for a wonderful time.Hope to see you again next year.
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #624
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Muchas gracias to the Lucky Ducks and the Kanopener Krew!! You guys put on a great party with good food and wonderful company. Topsail is a beautiful place.... need to come back and see what it's like with sunshine!!

We really enjoyed the Suthern Hosp'tality!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #625
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Thank You

Wow! What a fun rally! And thank you so much for the compliments – Linda and I are very humbled. But remember, the rally was a team effort. From the badges, to the map, to the chili/wine social, to the Breakfast with the Ranger, to the bloody mary/mimosa party, to the cornhole tournament, to the potluck supper block party setup and breakdown, to the door prizes, to the entertainment, to the potluck breakfast, to the rearranging and cleanup of the clubhouse, to the doorprize drawers, there were a lot of people helping to make those efforts successful. Thanks again to all of you.

And a big thanks to Foley RV/Airstream of Mississippi and Airstream, Inc. for the fantastic door prizes. It was also great having the new Airstream trailer for viewing from Airstream of Mississippi.

I don’t have to tell you that the food was great. Thank you to all the cooks out there. We gained some weight, that’s for sure.

I think one of the best things to come out of this Canopener Rally, and ones in the past, are friendships. Linda and I really look forward to seeing current friends and making new friends. Attending Airstream rallies provides a social interaction that is rarely seen with other trailer brands.

In summary, we all had a good time (except for Kate and Rob and the deer that ran into their trailer – that prevented them from attending the rally) and I heard many comments about people already looking forward to next year. I was tricked, I mean talked, into continuing my organizer role for the next rally. I’ll continue trying to make the rally better and even more fun. The dates for Canopener 2014 will be Friday, January 10 - Sunday, January 12, 2014. I’ll start a new thread for Canopener 2014 soon and also post a reminder when reservations can be made in Reserve America (on February 10 but earlier if you come in sooner – the Reserve America rule is no reservations earlier than 11 months in advance). It was really nice having almost all the sites in loop 103 being occupied by Airstreams as it really facilitated having the cornhole tournament and block party without bothering others. So reserve early – again!

Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2013,

Russ and Linda
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #626
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I know this is bad form so don't hate me. But the only picture I was able to take this time was peeking into Russ and Linda's trailer. Hope you don't mind me sharing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	saturday.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	176232  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #627
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
I know this is bad form so don't hate me. But the only picture I was able to take this time was peeking into Russ and Linda's trailer. Hope you don't mind me sharing!
Brad,

Darn, I thought we had all the blinds shut! I guess we'll leave the disco ball at home next year. But we do like the way it reflects the lights off the shiny Airstream ceiling and walls.

I guess you've never heard the saying - what happens in the trailer stays in the trailer!

Did you want to borrow my disco ball next year?

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #628
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Say it ain't so!

I'm afraid we won't be able to make it next year. The second weekend in January puts the kids (and the wife) back in school and that's too long a haul for a Saturday - even if it is for a killer Bloody Mary.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #629
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Who is this

This guy showed up two mornings in a row for breakfast, never did get his name. Saw him at the Bloody's gathering also. Seemed like a friendly sort. Said he would be back next year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	176249  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #630
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Zeigler , Illinois
Our first Canopener, in fact our first rally. Christy and I had a great time the entire stay! Our heartfelt thanks to all who made this the success it was. We are hooked and already thinking about what location to pair with Canopener 2014.

We are overnighting in Port Richey, FL, only a bit more than an hour from Fort Desoto Park. Spaces are available (at least they were earlier today) and we get week of warm weather before heading back to Balmy Southern Illinois.

To good times, great new friends and unforgettable memories - OPAH!

Safe Travels to All,
Marion and Christy
retronotold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #631
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Hey Rockie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
This guy showed up two mornings in a row for breakfast, never did get his name. Saw him at the Bloody's gathering also. Seemed like a friendly sort. Said he would be back next year.
Pat, isn't this your almond eating, tortilla chip munching buddy?!?!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #632

2011 22' Sport
Birmingham , Alabama
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who had anything to do with putting this event together - we had a great time. We love Topsail!
Charles and Donna Gaston
Birmingham, Alabama
Polarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #633
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Made it home from my first and what I hope is not my last Canopener. A huge thank you to all the organizers, park staff and volunteers that made it possible. It was great to finally put faces to all the anonymous screen names on Airforums and seeing old friends from Stone Mountain. When I got home I jumped on the scale and could not believe that I actually did not gain any weight. It was a real treat seeing all the beautiful Airstreams from all over the country and meeting their proud owners.
A special thanks to Rick and his Sales Manager Ron from Foley Airstream in Gulfport, Mississippi for bringing the new Airstream for viewing and the all the Airstream products they donated for the raffle. I am currently drinking my morning coffee from the massive Orange Airstream Mug that I won. The weather was a bit nippy and wet but the warmth of all attending made up for it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #634
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
Canopener 2013

After reading all the glowing comments and seeing the pictures from this years Canopener, it makes us doubly sorry that we had to cancel out. Obviously everyone had a wonderful time and are looking forward to making it next year. Right after Christmas I got a flu shot - and sure enough - I got the flu or something close to me. In fact both of us have been "puny" so it was best that we not be around people to spread the misery. We're just happy that there are so many good reports on this rally and we hope to be there next year.

Barbara & Walter

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL TIDE
Maybe Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #635
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Thanks a million!

Thanks Russ, et al for a fantastic rally and good time. Vickie and I truly appreaciate all the hard work by the organizers and volunteers and the outcome. We have the date saved and are looking forward to next year!

It was great to meet so many new folks and find new friends!
All the best in 2013,

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #636
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Well by staying till Tuesday it makes it a few days less till the next Can Opener.

Thanks to Russ & Linda and hop to see all of you and many new gases next year

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #637
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
It is hard to beat the Canopener for 3 days of fun, food, entertainment, and mingling with a bunch of people who have the same interest of having a good time. As many said in previous replies to this thread, it does not just happen without someone doing a lot of work. Reba and I want to thank Russ for taking up the banner for next year's canopener. I thought for sure we had burned out Russ on this one. He sure did arrange a lot of activities that kept all of us busy and entertained. I guess he has a year to think how to top this Canopener 2013. I really liked the block party arrangement and having some games to play. Of course, you can not beat the beverage stations that seem to attrack a lot people telling big tales.
Reba and I thank all of you who made this Canopener a success. I always run a risk of leaving out someone when thanking individuals. So! thanks to everyone.
Frank and Reba
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #638
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
A great week of fun was had....Russ and Linda did a wonderful job with this rally. The great spirit of this group made this a fun experience...it was nice to have the street closed off for the dinner, all the prizes that were donated, events, new Airstream was brought in for us all to oogle over....and so much more made this a truly special event. Now that also might have somethng to do with the bourbon, margaritas, mamosas, bloody mary's, oozo, wine and ..... that were consumed. There was lots of great food too. Hope to see this special Airstream group again next year.
PS. We have purchased another Airstream so the 28' will be available.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #639
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
I think Regina and I are the only ones left here. A few SOBs are arriving but not a lot. The volunteers have been around cleaning and blowing pine needles and making the place ready for other people to arrive.
The rangers did a control burn on Monday so we had to go to the public beach to reach the gulf. While there we saw a school of dolphins playing in the water. I think we watched them for 10 to 15 minutes.
Yesterday we went exploring. We headed to Seaside and found 6 Air Streams being used as food venders. In a way they looked out of place. But they really looked right in place for a beach vender. Regina ate at “The Meltdown on 30A” but the other sign that they had hanging read GOTTA HAVE GRILLED CHEESE. I went for the “Barefoot BBQ”. The food at both of the ones we ate at was really great. We didn’t eat at “Wild Bill’s” “Beach Dogs”. I don’t remember what the others were called.
SO next year everyone will have to go to Seaside and take a look and eat at one of them. To get to Seaside you will turn right onto 30A from the park. It will be around 10 miles to get there. OR just go till you see them. You will not miss them. There are 6 Air Stream trailers on the left side of the road.
I almost forgot that Howie took me out caching. We found 3 caches. I have to go find more when we get round to it. Thanks Howie.
WE leave for Tennessee on Saturday. It will be nice to get back home. I am glad that everybody else made it home or to their next adventure. SEE YA’LL NEXT YEAR.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #640
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
THANKS Russ!

Suggestion for next year...possibly scheduling a tour of the missile test site adjacent to the Park, and having something for the "Hangovers" on Sunday. Again, thanks, we had a great time.
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote