Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #481
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
We made it back yesterday afternoon. We always have such a great time at the can opener and it did not dissappoint this year. The weather was great right up until time to start the open house. We still managed to see several way cool trailers. Potluck was fantastic as always. Sugarfoot, I would love to have the recipe for that pudding. MMMMMMMM
Looking forward to next year already!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #482
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Ahhhh, Fort Wilderness, time to relax and see Mickey.
Glad to see that you and Tina made it to the Fort safely. Hated it that you had to go back home nearly as soon as you arrived. But I understand. Sorry we didn't have a chance to spend some time together. Maybe at the Springstream or other rally. If not, there is always next January.

Have a great time at Disney. You deserve a break. Enjoy.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #483
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We got some pictures Friday before the rain.

Swampbillies and Stratman

Name:   swampbillies.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  71.8 KB
Howie's Kayak (HowieE)

Name:   howie kayak 1.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  60.8 KB
Annie, Kate and Don (KMTYME)

Name:   annie,kate,don.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  42.9 KB
Costalotta

Name:   costalotta.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  70.6 KB
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #484
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
And this one of some trailers in the park

Name:   park.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  68.4 KB
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #485
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Hit the ground running . . .

with a thud, especially when I watched Topsail's balmly 57 degrees Sunday drop to 24 in Chattanooga yesterday morning.

We had a great time meeting new folks and catching up with others we know. Here's a few pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1041.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	73798
Geven and Dennis relax in front of Sweet Pea

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	73799
"We're not afraid of any stinkin' rain!"

Name:	IMG_1101.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	73800
JP, we know one of those plates is for Julie, isn't it?.

Name:	IMG_1076.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	73801
And my favorite ~ Clancy Boy circling the park looking for a site free of pygmy rattlesnakes.

There's a few more photos here. Many of the potluck photos were either with mouths full or open so I left those out. Brad knows exactly what I'm talkin about. OK, one exception, Dale posed for that one.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #486
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Paybacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
. . . Oh yes, S'foot - I have a long memory, we shall meet again, and this time you will pay dearly......
. . . GERRRrrrrrrrrrrr
Pay Backs are

I feel that maybe I should be on the lookout for weapons of mass destruction next time around.

This is the second time I got him. I'll bet Clancy Boy has never told anyone about his raffle prize at the first Can Opener.

Mike, I'm glad you and Tina are getting a well-deserved break at Fort Wilderness. Be safe and y'all have fun.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #487
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Jack Daniels Bread Pudding As Promised

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampBillies View Post
. . . Sugarfoot, I would love to have the recipe for that pudding. . . .
Warning: There is nothing "heart healthy" about this recipe. And BTW, the meausrements are guidelines. I rarely measure anything when I cook.

Pudding
2 pounds bread, torn or cubed into pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
10 eggs
24 ounces evaporated milk (two cans)
1 1/2 cups water
1 stick butter, melted
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 ounces white chocolate, chunked or chips
2 cups raisins soaked in boiling water to plump then drained
2 cups pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
1 stick butter, cut in pieces

For Sauce
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 stick butter
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
The juice of one lemon
The zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ounces Jack Danels, Black Label ( or more )

To make pudding
  1. Butter a deep 9x13 baking pan or large disposable lasagna pan. Alternate three layers of the bread, chocolate, raisins, and nuts in the pan.
  2. Use a large bowl. Beat the eggs. Wisk in the sugar, spices and remaining wet ingredients except for the butter. Vigorously wisk while streaming in the melted butter last. It won't blend in, but will float to the top of the custard in bits.
  3. Pour the custard over the bread in the pan. With a large spoon carefully mix in the pan to distribute all ingredients well and moisten all the bread. You want a wet mixture rather than a dry one.
  4. Dot the pudding with a stick of butter cut in pieces. Bake at 325 degrees for 60 to 90 minutes, or until bread pudding has browned and risen about 1-inch. Serve warm with the sauce over bread pudding.
Jack Daniels Sauce
  1. Place water and sugar in saucepan. Mix until sugar dissolves. Set over medium heat and cook until mixture comes to boil. Immediately reduce to low simmer and cook until mixture is clear.
  2. At this point I add about 2 ounces of JD and reduce the sauce further. I'll also add some cornstarch in a bit of cool water to thicken the sauce. When I'm happy with it I turn off heat.
  3. Stir in butter until completely melted. Add cinnamon, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and more JD to taste the kick. Serve immediately or reheat when ready to serve.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #488
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Late Response

I suppose that I should have posted that Jennifer and I arrived home safely, but considering our journey was only 15 miles....everyone probably figured we were home already!

What a great rally.....I'm really getting too old for that much Jack (Roadtoaster and AFWPC). We had so much fun that I completely forgot to take any pictures, so I really appreciate those that are being posted.

Spent most of yesterday winterizing the rig.....it's supposed to be down in the 20's this week.......thank you to all the northerners for bringing that cold weather to the South.

Hope everyone has as much fun as we did......next Canopener is just 11.5 months away......see ya then!

Ron
Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #489
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
......next Canopener is just 11.5 months away......see ya then!

Ron
That means we need to pick a date so I can make my reservation! I'm that ready for the next one.

So when will it be Devoman?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #490
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sugarfoot is that Brianna under the rain gear? She sure has grown, who is the other sweetie?

The food looks great and so do the Airstreams. Thanks for posting pictures. Sure missed being there. Any Red Bar pictures???

photography
Old 01-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #491
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Sugarfoot is that Brianna under the rain gear? She sure has grown, who is the other sweetie?

The food looks great and so do the Airstreams. Thanks for posting pictures. Sure missed being there. Any Red Bar pictures???
Carol, we missed you! We hope to see you next year.

That's SafariSS, Rade and Liz's youngest girl. I hate to say but her name escapes me right now. They were just too cute together. Brianna is a young lady now, 5 years old. They grow so fast.

I'm not sure if anyone got Red Bar pics. There may have been a good reason for that.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #492
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I hope we can make it next year too, thanks. I'm having some elective surgery Friday though just as well, it's a good time of year to hibernate here in Michigan. They are pushing my stuffing back in. Maybe I should have had a HAHA, I wouldn't have given myself a hernia!

Pretty girls. It's nice to see the kids at the rallies. I bet there were alot of fur babies too.

I guess what happens at the Red Bar stays at the Red Bar.

photography
Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #493
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sorry to hear about the hernia...ouch. You really should use that bar thingy to lift your load equalizer bars into their brackets or were you out there trying to prove something?

Hope things go well and the recovery is quick and comfortable. Keep the laptop close by so you can update us when you get home. Just remember, walk on the same day as the surgery and you will recover faster. At least that is what they tell you at the hospital so they can usher you out the door in time to charge you for the second day's use of the room but still get someone else in there before it's too late to charge them for the same day, too!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #494
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
No it wasn't the bars, with the trick hiking up the truck I can do that without any pressure. It was carrying the hitch receiver out of the back of the burb and trying to put it out of the way under the Airstream, weighs a ton...to me anyway. Or maybe wrestling the full propane bottle out of the space between the seats and it was put in sideways by the refiller. I had to rioll it up onto my lap then scoot across the seat, make a slide to let the tank follow my legs down to the ground from up there, then put it back in place. No worries I asked them to build me better, I am going bionic! Maybe we CAN tow it, but it sure is nice to have a big strong he-man around. 1st on my list after recooperation...strength training!!!!!

photography
Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #495
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Just to add a little more feedback - we had a great time this past weekend. Skies were clear with temps about 70 on Thursday/Friday and cooler with light rain on Saturday afternoon. The common thread was seeing old friends and meeting new friends. The food at the Red Bar Friday night was outstanding (as usual). The food was also great at the Saturday night potluck - compliments to all the chefs. Late night fires and storytelling most evenings were entertaining (and for some a cause of headaches the next day but I can't give names because what happens at the CanOpener stays at the CanOpener). And finally, Topsail State Park is as nice a campground (I guess a resort is more accurate) as you could ask for. I didn't take many photos but here are a few of the beautiful beach. The sand is white as snow and the water is clear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2009 CanOpener 038.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	73877   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 CanOpener 041.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	73878  

Name:	2009 CanOpener 039.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	73879  
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #496
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
CanOpener? Doggone it, I seemed to have missed it!

If this message seems "complicated", please forgive me: I am still in recovery from Fatigue.

The Gregory E. Moore Campground at the Topsail Preserve State Park is really nice. Sue and I really enjoyed getting there Friday.

Unfortunately, I got a call from my invited friend late Saturday morning that he had broken down (car overheated, now it won't start). He was on I-10, and just got off at US 231 (just West of Marianna FL.).

We left before Noon Saturday and finally returned about 8:30 with him and his girlfriend (car was FUBAR - engine apparently seized - and we had a reservation at U-Haul for Sunday morning for an Auto Transport trailer). Towing would have cost him $3-5/mile! but the one-way rental was to be $138

Sunday, we all left at 8:00am (Central time): all four of us plus three dogs. At 9:00am, we picked up the Auto transport trailer in Panama City, drove to and then pushed his car on, then left for Winter Park (by Orlando).

Sue and I returned the Auto Transport to Panama City U-Haul about 3:00am. Only cost $61 for "local use".

Sue, the dogs and I got back to our trailer Sunday morning about 4:15am after putting on about 850 miles (750 towing). 20 hours on the road was just about killing me (although Sue drove about 30 minutes).

Sunday was recovery time, and shopping in the afternoon.

Doggone it, we missed almost everything in the Rally. I am glad I at least talked with some of the rally-goers.

We never even made it down to the beach.

The dogs traveled great! We owe them for their patience and perseverance and great temperment in spite of cramped and long travels!

Please post more pics when possible.

I was looking forward to the Potluck and the JT and Swampbillies music (although I was scared of having to listen to Kareoke and probably would have left). They were great to listen to last year (and I wouldn't have made the mistake of trying to add anything to his already complete backing tracks).

Well, left Topsail this morning about 7:45 (Eastern time) and got home about 7:00pm after a leisurely drive up all backroads (except for a short stint on I-185 from Columbus north to US 27 just south of I-85).

Thanks Steve for all your efforts and time to organize and accessorize the Rally. We look forward to next year!

Phil

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Old 01-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #497
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Phil, I wondered what happened to you. I saw you walk by with your dogs and Sulley was having a conniption fit to meet them so I had to try to pacify him and didn't get a chance to talk to you and Sue. I was going to talk to you that evening and didn't see you...by the way, you missed your raffle prize.

Hopefully, we'll get to see you at the Springstream in May. Rest up and take care.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #498
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Phil,

Sounds like you had an adventure within an adventure. We were wondering what cool place you had left Topsail for on Sunday.

Glad you all made it back safely.

Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Old 01-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #499
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We had a great time for our first Can Opener rally...even with the rain...
Beautiful park, a great bunch of people and good food too..
Devoman did a very nice job on the name tags and the rally...
Open house signs are great..
Have a great year ...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #500
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Thank You Everyone

Thanks Everyone for coming out to the rally.I have a date for the next one and it will be :
January 8th - 10th 2010
Here is the schedule so far.
Friday night load up for the Red Bar.
Saturday at 1:00 P.M. Meet at the fountain for the Open House.
Saturday early evening meet at Minnies Mates site for the Cocktail Hour and raffle.
Saturday Evening after the happy hour we have the potluck.Maybe some entertainment during the potluck or whatever else pops up.
If we end up using the club house again for the potluck we will need to bring extra plugs for the crockpots to keep the food warm.
Sunday morning is breakfast either at the potluck site or at someone's camp site.
Artstream will be designing the new 2010 t-shirts for us.
I will need help again for next year.
Thanks everyone for helping out this year.It was a big help.
Who plans to tackle these things again?
Open house signs
Raffle
Campground map
Sunday breakfast unless you all want to use the potluck site.
I know there is more but I will think of it later or someone will chime in.
Thanks everyone.

I have 1LG Can Opener T-Shirt here with me.Any takers.E-mail if you would like to have it.Thanks

Closed Thread