View Poll Results: What's your favorite Silver Girls' Rally Weekend? Let's get this party started!
March 6 - 8, 2009 3 75.00%
March 13 - 15, 2009 1 25.00%
March 20 - 22, 2009 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Sorry to say Lukira won't be joining us after all. Happy trails with your family, Lisa!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #170
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Are we there yet?

I took the "rest up" advice to heart and have been napping up a storm past two days. Anxiously awaiting the call that says "Lucy" is ready to pick up from fridge repairs.
Newly sewn pillows, clothes, and well basically the kitchen sink is sitting in my entry way ready to be loaded.
Pooches have been snoozzing too, the look in their eyes is saying "aw come on, let's go already!" Took them to the dog park yesterday but after less then half hour we came home, just not the same as the adventures of the road.
Still have my fingers crossed that I will get my trailer back tomorrow. Be on the road to Santa Barbara on Saturday morning. Knowing me I will kick it into gear and by gone by Friday mid day!

I can hear the ocean already....in the desert. Swear I saw a seagul yesterday, must have been hallucinating!

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #171
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
What is more fun - Disneyland or a Silver Sister's Rally?

Tomorrow morn, we are shoving off for a few days at the Happiest Place on Earth. We are celebrating the kids' birthdays (shhhh, don't tell them that the Silver Sister rallies are the REAL happiest place on earth ....)

We'll be home on Saturday with the trailer in tow, fresh from the repair shop. She got a new axle, a new window, an underbelly spare tire holder, disc brakes, and a new AC/heater.

Julianne, hopefully we can hook up next week for some SB fun. Wishing you and your pooches a fun and safe trip here. When you check in at Ocean Mesa ask for Judy, and tell her I sent you. She'll make sure you're set up just right .

Just a few more days, ladies!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Julianne, you're an inspiration!
Safe travels! You're going to love Santa Barbara. Be sure to check out El Paseo and State St.--Some great yarn stores in the area, including the Knit & Pearl Boutique on Figueroa.
Meredith, have a wonderful time with your birthday kids--in the second happiest place...
See you soon!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #173
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
getting closer . . .

I've been spending late afternoons after work out in the trailer taking care of all those pesky little annoyances that crop up on every trip. So far I have managed to:

Relaminate the kitchen cabinet door. These 40 year old doors are made out of multiple layers of wood. The glue separated over the years and made closing the door and keeping it closed difficult. A quick and easy fix was to ooze wood glue between the layers and squeeze them closed with a couple of clamps. A day later - the door closes much better and has ceased to annoy me.

Reset the screen spline. I replaced all the screen material a couple of years ago, but putting silver insulation in and out of the window spaces in between trips had stretched the mesh and popped the spline out. I rolled some of the spline in place and completely rescreened 2 windows. I also reglued some fuzzy stuff back into the window lifter guides. Take that you nasty insects!

I put graphite in the key hole. You never know.

Added a couple of snaps to the curtains I made last year so they will stop gapping open at the sides.

I replaced the kitchen faucet. Its been leaking around the base of spout and getting worse with every trip - I took the darned thing apart, but there was no fixing the area that was leaking. A quick trip to Home Depot yielded a very cheap "laundry" facuet, same size, for only $21.00. No leaks - very happy.

I took apart the kitchen drain. It's been slowly leaking ever since we got it 8 years ago. We just kept a dish pan under there and avoided thinking about it. Since I had everything cleared out change the faucet, it was time to deal with the drain. The black ABS pipes did NOT WANT TO unscrew. It seemed like it was installed out of alignment. I tried some liquid wrench (knowing its really for metal) and a lot of elbow grease. I searched the internet for advice. It was suspiciously shiny around the joint - like it was glued together. I tried more elbow grease. It started leaking more . . . good sign. Finally, after three visits out there . . . success! I took the P-trap out, cleaned all the threads and glopped on some pipe dope, put it back together. No leaks - even more happy!

A few more things left to do. Clean the under-bed bins out and patch some holes and cracks in them. This means another trip to Home Depot for a fiberglass patch kit. Also need to fix the hinges on the doors that hide the bins. The plastic piano hinges have worn out and broken over the years. Duct tape works temporarily, but is not a good long term solution. McMaster-Carr has plastic hinges, but they are the wrong color and I'm not sure I would get them in time for this trip anyway. Still mulling this one over . . .

Virginia
Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
I'm picturing Vince sipping a martini and thinking up more projects for you. Nice goin' Vince. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #175
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Virginia~ Now that is inspiration doing all that work yourself. You need to come to the restoration rally of the 4Cu and teach us a few things! Look forward to meeting you.

I Finally got my traila back this evening as the rv repair "spa" was closing. Long story but pitched a fit when they knew I needed her back today and no one called me. Luckily the Tech and I had spoken directly and he stayed late for me....I made the office staff stay late so I could pick up or.....apparently new sales of $200,000 are more important that a regular customer, I will not take Lucy back there again!

Sooooo, as planned on the road in the morning. Took me half hour to pack since everything was in piles ready to load.
Hit the highway in the morning, depending on traffic and stress level may be in SB tomorrow if not then Sunday fairly early. Can't wait to wake up hear the ocean, see the gulls, take the "kidz" for a stroll then....who knows. May just sit and knit on Monday, enjoying the California life!
Meredith~ Do you have Tuesday free to do the Farmer's Market with me? Hope you had a great time celebrating at Disney!
I need Decompression and can't think of a better way to do it.
Let's Rally!

2003 International CCD
Old 02-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #176
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
I'm Back!

Helloooooo Silver Girls!

Disneyland was fun (yes, there actually is a lot of happy there ), but my mind was looking forward to next weekend most of the time. And, just to prove it, I'm including a picture of an Airstream I spotted at California Adventure when I activated my Airstream homing device - who woulda thunk?!

And the best part is, my silver beauty is home from the shop, and she's better than ever. Inland RV did a fabulous job with all of our repairs and upgrades. Big, big thumbs up to Inland's Greg and Terry for their expert care and advice!

Julianne, my friend, I hope your journey gets off to a great start tomorrow! Yes, let's do the farmer's market on Tuesday. It starts at 3:00 pm downtown. I'll PM you so we can make arrangements .

Impatiently waiting,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland Feb 2009.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	798.2 KB
ID:	76234  
Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #177
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Congrats, Kristiana!

Holy Cow! I just received my March/April '09 edition of BARK Magazine and discovered that Kristiana has published an article in there, featuring her dog and...her beautiful Airstream trailer! Nice photos too! Last month my dog, Quinn, was featured in the smiling dogs section, but this is away bigger deal. Congratulations Kristiana! I'm bringing my magazine for an autograph!

Karin

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
I just called PCV to see if we have our sites assignments yet, and they said they don't issue specific sites until arrival...But we are all together with full hook-ups, including wifi and cable.
Now let's think clear skies!
And Kristiana, great article! Karin, could you also bring the issue with Quinn's smiling face?
I'm really looking forward to all the trailer show and tell. So many pampered silver beauties!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #179
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
When is everyone arriving?

You all have probably discussed arrival times...but to bring me up to speed, is anyone arriving on Thursday? I'm going down to Santa Barbara/Goleta first to visit my son who goes to UCSB and then I'll come back up to Pismo. Depending on that visit -you know how those things go-I may have to make an early escape back up to Pismo.

Counting the days...Karin

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #180
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Arriving

Me and the girls are planning on arriving mid-afternoon Friday. At least that's the plan. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly . . . .

Just bought some fiberglass cloth and resin to repair those bins. It's gonna be a sticky afternoon.

Another question for the group: Any food allergies we all should be aware of in potluck planning?

Virginia
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #181
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Arrivals

Hey Ho Silver Sisters!
I arrived at Ocean Mesa in Santa Barbara today. A slice of Heaven, I am all set up, ready to totally decompress! What a wonderful spot. Will go adventuring around tomorrow.

I am going to be arriving Pismo on Thursday! Will call them in that morning to see if I can check in before the 4 p.m. usual check in.

Meredith~Tuesday sounds perfect. Would love to meet your kids. Your trailer looks amazing! I might have to check into Inland RV while I am here. I got totally screwed by the place that was suppose to fix my fridge. It wasn't working on propane, they installed a new thermometer, guess what now it won't work on electric either. Twice I have taken it to them. Going to speak with the General Manager tomorrow, raise holy hell and get them to pay to have someone come here and fix it so I am not put out again. (insert explitive!)

Karin~ If you want to stop by or meet up while you are here in SB, holla. We can have pre rally fiesta.

2003 International CCD
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #182
kristiana

1967 24' Tradewind
1960 Caravel
1962 16' Bambi
Gold Country & Palm Springs , California
Wow, what an amazing group of women! I'm so glad to be your sister!

Julianne, you go girl. You're a super road trip mamma, I love it.
I'm glad you're already in Santa Barbara enjoying yourself.

Virginia, wowza, you don't mess around with getting things done!
I admire your tenacity.

Meredith, I can't wait to hear all about your (second) happiest place
on earth, what a great photo that is. I'd love to see more.
Yikes, I didn't get to order my shirt, do you have any you can bring?!

Karin, (and Janet) thanks for the congrats. I noticed that cutie
Quinn was a smiling doggie in the last issue.
What a small doggie world, huh?

Janet, you are such a sweetie, I can't wait to see that smile
You too Debra, Lisa and Lee!

Laurel, Sandra, Michelle, Kat and we will raise our glasses to you and hope you will join us next year (or in the summer or fall...).

'Nuf of my smooches...I sound like I'm signing our high school yearbook!

Anyway, I'm going to see if I can arrive late on Thursday. This
time I hope to arrive before they lock the gates & I have to pull a
McGyver like last year.

Big Love & see you soon...

kristiana is offline   Reply With Quote