Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #1581
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Chapparel,
Sorry you're down with a back, and that nobody wants to talk to you. Well, you know what I mean...
Hope you're feeling OK.

On a different subject - Any of you camping along the Malibu coast today? We were returning home from the LA basin and saw one A/S in malibu RV park, and one at the beach at the north (West?) end of Malibu.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #1582
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Jalama Beach is calling if one of the group areas is available. Wait a minute! I'm a newbie and haven't even attended one of these events, but I can make a good margarita.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #1583
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldfield
Jalama Beach is calling if one of the group areas is available. Wait a minute! I'm a newbie and haven't even attended one of these events, but I can make a good margarita.
There are no newbies. Just old friends we have not met yet.

The threads been dead since some of us just got back or are still in Quartzesite. A rally takes a lot out of you...If done right.

I returned the trailer to storage this A.M. and went to work. Where I was informed I was being sent to San Diego for two weeks. Hmmm. How to make this bad thing a good thing... So I offered to take the trailer to an R.V. park and save my boss a boatload of money since it would be cheaper than a Hotel.

So in the A.M. I'm off to an R.V. park that is on the bay. My happy boss called and paid the $660.00 and what I'm doin will be over by 2:00pm every day.

Toldfield can you get a group spot at Jalama in July or Aug? Maybe by then Chapparel can join in too?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #1584
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
I love that kind of talk. It looks like the reservation fee is $25. I will call them tomorrow and see what the restrictions are. Our favorite area is up at the top, Area B. Maybe I will have to go up Tuesday or Wednesday to make sure there is room for everyone by the weekend.

CA-7
Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #1585
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
I don't think we have anything scheduled in July or August. Although in there somewhere is the balloon festival in New Mexico. So see what you can get and lets throw us a Rally!

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 03-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #1586
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
We have FFT (Forced Family Togetherness) the last week of July/First week of August. I will have answers tomorrow night. I guess it can't be too intimidating to reserve a campground and throw it out to the wolves...

CA-7
Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #1587
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldfield
We have FFT (Forced Family Togetherness) the last week of July/First week of August. I will have answers tomorrow night. I guess it can't be too intimidating to reserve a campground and throw it out to the wolves...
If you can get a beach campground in the summer you have built it and they will come.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #1588
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
I seem to recall some restrictions in the summer, but I can't find them tonight. It might be the St Patrick's effect. There is another great campground just east of Lake Cachuma that we are using for a group in April. It is a bit pricey for a small group, but a great place. It can accomodate 1500 folks camping on 40 acres, but $1500 is for a weekend.

Santa Barbara County Parks - Event Reservations - Santa Barbara County, California

CA-7
Old 03-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #1589
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Foiled Again

Well, I guess those more knowledgable than I were pretty confident that getting a group spot at Jalama was a pipe dream in the summer. The group areas are all booked through August. But, not to be a quitter I will find out when reservations can be made for next year. The other thought would be that the reservations taper off after Labor Day. If we look into a date that is open and drive around a lot to encourage global warming we might chance into a good weekend later this year.

CA-7
Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #1590
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
You know last year at this time when we were again too late to book we resolved that this year we would book in time.

We really need someone half organized to remember to do this.

Since Time failed this year... How about Toldfield volunteering to remember next year? In case yiu forget. Don't worry we will have forgotten too.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #1591
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
I would take half organized as a complement. I will try to talk with someone at the camp and see what the lead time is on group reservations. Then with very little consultation, no committee meetings, and no legal consultations, I will send in the $25 deposit.

Unless I forget.

CA-7
Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #1592
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
You know last year at this time when we were again too late to book we resolved that this year we would book in time.

We really need someone half organized to remember to do this.

Since Time failed this year... How about Toldfield volunteering to remember next year? In case yiu forget. Don't worry we will have forgotten too.
Sure, go ahead and call San Clemente a bust.......NOT..oh that's right, you missed one of the best beach rallys of the year. So what it was in February.

Shall we all remember snow in 29 Palms and gale force winds in Gorman...now who set up those retreats????

Of course Goin, you came through in Quartszite, or at least you had the only dog with manners.

So Goin, with your organizational skills, maybe you can find us a great summer rally location for 2008, just try to make there is water.

time
Old 03-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #1593
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Sure, go ahead and call San Clemente a bust.......NOT..oh that's right, you missed one of the best beach rallys of the year. So what it was in February.

Shall we all remember snow in 29 Palms and gale force winds in Gorman...now who set up those retreats????

Of course Goin, you came through in Quartszite, or at least you had the only dog with manners.

So Goin, with your organizational skills, maybe you can find us a great summer rally location for 2008, just try to make there is water.

time
Time, Time, Time.
(He said, shaking his head sadly.)

Last summer when we failed to find a beach spot I said.

"Next Summer you should book us a spot at the beach."

Amazing how you remember everything else but that.

P.S. What winds in Gorman?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 03-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #1594
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
P.S. What winds in Gorman?
Gorman was quite balmy...
and cool
in the shade of the SOB.

And the pool was lovely.

Just sayin'...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pool.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	56545  

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #1595
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
The East Shore RV Park in San Dimas
(located at Puddingstone Lake...ya gotta love that)
that we stayed at on the way home from Quartzsite was pretty nice.
A possible future spon...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	San Dimas 1.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	56548   Click image for larger version

Name:	San Dimas 2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	56549  

Name:	San Dimas 3.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	56550   Click image for larger version

Name:	San Dimas 4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	56551  

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #1596
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Apparently I don't have the good sense to leave this alone. The Jalama group areas do not have an open weekend until December. However I did find out that they will start taking reservations for 2009 on September 2, at 9am. Now being organized is not real high up on my list of accomplishments but I will set up a reminder and try to give them a call on that date. The pleasant lady in the reservation office said all of the summer weekends will be gone by noon. Since I can't figure out what I am going to do tomorrow, let alone next year, I will ask for any weekend in July or August. If there is a loud outcry about interferring with some major event around the 4th of July I will not ask for those dates.

CA-7
Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #1597
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Hi Toldfield,
Thanks for getting the info and do the grunt work re: Jalama Beach. If you read back a few hundred posts (a challenge of its own and highly recommended for Mr. Goin before pointing fingers), you will find that Kevbo had already tried to look into that park for 2008 rally, in late 2007. As you already found out, very hard to get. He also found that the group area is too small for a reasonable rally, since only 4-5 trailers of smaller size with tow vehicle can fit in it and yet still can be challenging.
Do you have another coastal beach location in mind that you (we) can look into as well?
Look forward to meet you in future rally!
=^^= thelma
Old 03-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #1598
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Are you thinking what I am thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
The East Shore RV Park in San Dimas
(located at Puddingstone Lake...ya gotta love that)
that we stayed at on the way home from Quartzsite was pretty nice.
A possible future spon...
Ms. Bam,

Upon yours and the str8s extensive research, shall we try out that place for our summer rally this year? Easy to get to, and seems like a lots of space between campsite.

May be sometime early August? Since I know some of our usual suspects will be caravanning up the coast some time in July.

Any thoughts? Str8s?

=^^= Thelma
Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #1599
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Well, I'll just talk with them and see if we can lock up two group sites. Maybe one on the hill with the electricity and the other one down on the flatlands with the hedges and firepit. As I recall the spot on top of the hill will accomodate 13 and the one just down from it will hold 8. It will be an adventure to figure it out. I know a fellow who works for the county and he may be able to help us. Meanwhile I will cast about for another place with sun, sand, surf, and electricty for blenders. Idle hands are the devil's tools...

CA-7
Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #1600
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like a plan for summer 2009! Great research. I recall from kevbo's findings, that the accommodation for the group sites are including parking spots for TV. Does that mean, 13 spots equal to 6-7 trailers plus TVs? It will be nice to know ahead, so we know what our maximum participation will be.

Well, with the gas prices increase we are facing, many people resort to local beaches and state parks as vacation destinations, which makes it even harder for us to hold a rally at state beaches and parks. For this summer rally, how about private campgrounds along the beach? Pismo? Ocean Mesa?

=^^=