Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #21
RVATOR

2018 28' International
Dallas , Texas
My wife would Kill me if we took AS....

I would love to have the AS there but my wife would bring down the pain upon me. So, we converted a 16’ enclosed for the The BM and Hexa-Yurts (now ShiftPods). Shower, Generator, External Grey and Black Tanks, 150Gal water bladder, Fridge. A/C unit in Yurts. See you all there! No need to have this on a bucket list any longer. We drive straight through from Dallas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7F9B828D-0BA5-4BB5-9FC1-57A149400614.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	331843

Trailer

Name:	13620E7F-5333-47CC-9449-52591F178F33.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	331844

Name:	0BCB8E17-8748-46F0-A4D4-F1A59BD2B6B1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	331845

Camp
2023 AS Classic 33’ FBQ
RV-7 (N23KT) VANSAIRFORCE.NET
Toornburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Going to Burning Man is one of two things left on my bucket list! But I am concerned about my dog, Earl the Girl and my Airstream Interstate. Anyone been thru the Burn with an AI and a skittish rescue? Advice? Earl loves the van but she needs her excersise and the AI is irritatingly finicky. Thanx—-REALLY want to join in!
Good news/good news. You don't have to worry about the pup, they are not allowed. Good news, you can enjoy yourself while knowing that pup is in good hands with a "babysitter."
Going our our 2nd big burn this year, almost have the dust out of the trailer from last year! We camped with Poly Paradise @ 7:15 and Elektro last year and will do so again this year. Where are you guys camping? I would like to come by and see some AS's, no pun intended. Hope you all get tickts and that we get to see some of you there Drop by our camp and ask for CanyonMan or Starfish. The drinks will be on us.
RichH
Playa Name CanyonMan
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
- , My heart is in Colorado
Count Conroy and I in!

Looking forward to helping with poscards, chill tent, photo booth...Once we all have tickets it will be fun to plan! I smile broadly thinking about camping with the Airstreameri again this year. Such a cool cast of characters...

-Paige
Papatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I've attended 14 consecutive Burns. Camped with several different theme camps...latest a bike repair camp and will be doing so again this year. I take a different trailer. Love the Air Stream group!

If anyone is looking for advice on how to survive in Black Rock City for a week, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Dragon
Rollinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Burning Man has been on my travel bucket list ever since I got stranded in Reno in 1996!!! Could not go then cause my RV (non-Airstream) had a blow out on Donners Pass and it was first time I had heard about the place. People were traveling through on the way there which is what got my attention.

I am planning to go with my Airstream but need to get the solar system upgraded and add some other items to help deal with the dust. Figure I will hold off on carpet replacement till after the adventure
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #26
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Going to Burning Man is one of two things left on my bucket list! But I am concerned about my dog, Earl the Girl and my Airstream Interstate. Anyone been thru the Burn with an AI and a skittish rescue? Advice? Earl loves the van but she needs her excersise and the AI is irritatingly finicky. Thanx—-REALLY want to join in!
Welcome!
Yep...sorry no pets and they are serious about that.

Obi Wan and Jilly Bean camp with their AI. I’ve always camped in a trailer but I am considering an AI this time.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:27 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Welcome carpenc!

Yes, Jilly Bean and I have taken our 2013 Interstate 3 years in a row. You can get most of the dust out, but I like to leave a little in the door jambs and on the dash, just to help remember Black Rock City better. I am also pretty hard on my Interstate compared to some owners . . . I have put a lot of miles on her over the past 3 years and average about 2 months or more out of the year living in her.

If your van is finicky, maybe I can be of some assistance or can offer some advice. I have figured a couple of things out that help to get it through the week. I have tent camped at the Burn, and have camped in a class C RV, but I love having the Interstate there - in fact, I wouldn't even own an RV if it wasn't for Burning Man.

Obi Wan
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Thank you so much, Obi Wan —glad to hear an AI can make it. My concern would be sand getting into the things like the maserator , window motors ( talk about finicky!) and generator. I camp in mine about 4 months a year and the window motors and maserator have had the most issues. Do you take any special precautions? Do you use the generator while there?
Sad to leave my Earl behind and not sure I can since her sitters live in Florida but will now look for a way to make this work. Certainly makes sense to leave the pups at home.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Thank you.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Thanks Canyon Man! Gotta figure the Earl thing out and you are right I would rest/ sweat easier knowing she’s doesn’t have to worry about every hoot, holler & and idd looking human.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Impressive !
Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Half the folks there are in some kind of RV or other. Generators do fine...either built in or portable. That said, post-Burn maintenance is essential! The playa is a harsh mistress...the dust is like talcum powder...gets everywhere, EVERYWHERE! We have learned to become one with the dust.
Rollinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #33
MCJ
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Good news/good news. You don't have to worry about the pup, they are not allowed. Good news, you can enjoy yourself while knowing that pup is in good hands with a "babysitter."
Going our our 2nd big burn this year, almost have the dust out of the trailer from last year! We camped with Poly Paradise @ 7:15 and Elektro last year and will do so again this year. Where are you guys camping? I would like to come by and see some AS's, no pun intended. Hope you all get tickts and that we get to see some of you there Drop by our camp and ask for CanyonMan or Starfish. The drinks will be on us.
RichH
Playa Name CanyonMan
Check out Rover.com and you can find a sitter in the Reno area. That's where my rescue will be. I've used the service 6-8 times in SF and it's been great.
MCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks Canyon Man! Gotta figure the Earl thing out and you are right I would rest/ sweat easier knowing she’s doesn’t have to worry about every hoot, holler & and idd looking human.
You're most welcome. I do find your comment about "odd looking people" concerning. Most people at BM are the most normal, sane and reserved individuals on the planet. Oh wait, just kidding. Hope you get to come and enjoy the Burn. We did 4 burns last year and are planning the same, or more this year.
CanyonMan
Old 01-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Thank you so much, Obi Wan —glad to hear an AI can make it. My concern would be sand getting into the things like the maserator , window motors ( talk about finicky!) and generator. I camp in mine about 4 months a year and the window motors and maserator have had the most issues. Do you take any special precautions? Do you use the generator while there?
Sad to leave my Earl behind and not sure I can since her sitters live in Florida but will now look for a way to make this work. Certainly makes sense to leave the pups at home.
Yes, I use the generator, but try to do it sparingly. It was so loud the first year that my camp had to give me a "talking to" about it. I rarely use the air conditioning during the day - I'm from the south & pretty heat tolerant so I just get some shade and drink plenty of water and I am usually just fine. I have added a resonator (muffler) to its exhaust pipe since then and that has made a lot of difference. I change all the filters right after getting out of black rock city (cabin filter and engine air filter). The generator has a little washable filter that I clean. You could change the generator oil post-burn if you are finicky, but I haven't made it a rule to do that.

My 2013 only has driver and passenger window motors, nothing back in the living space. I have had no problem with those up front window motors or with the macerator pump. I usually only use the macerator pump about once during the burn, and I have picked non-dusty days to do so.

The precautions that I do take are to add reflective material to the windows to cut down on heat gain, and I use gaffer's tape to put air conditioning filter material over the windows on the inside of the van to allow for ventilation with less dust coming in. Gaffer's tape is the greatest - bring lots! I have extra reflective material that I could share for the outside of the van.

The other thing that I do is to bring lots of extra water, over and above what will fit in the fresh water holding tank. I am often bringing in extra water for friends though. You can't have too much water.

Obi
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Sounds like that generator is of the open frame type that contractors use. My Champion inverter, 2800W continuous, is really quiet and runs my AC and charges the batteries with no problem. I had no complaints at the burn last year. Check them out, you will be surprised.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Baltimore , Maryland
Hi everyone, we are Burgins and we would love to join the Airstream Camp (providing we get tickets) this year
beachrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
RichH
Playa Name CanyonMan
Have a solution! Flying my dog sitter out to Reno so she and Earl can spend quality time in Tahoe. Clearly I’ve become a crazy dog lady .. but after the Burn, I’m headed further west & south to Oceanside. No way I can leave Earl in FL.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Burning Man 2019! Planning thread begins again...

Last serious vacation DW and I went in was to Disneyworld for a week.

Dogsitting bill where we parked then cost more by far than our actual vacation...and we though it was well worth it.

They are as ‘furkids’ and part of our family...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Exactly! �� Thanks @rmkrum for making me feel less than comoletely insane!