Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Burning Man 2018! Planning thread...

Happy New Year once again Airstreameri!
Yep. 2018 is here and another Burn slowly approaches.
Hope everyone’s holiday season delivered everything wished for.
And yes it is time to get the 2018 Playa Planning going.
Hard to believe it started in 2007 when I accidentally camped next to Nevada Geo at Burnstream Court.
Off we go again!

*This year's event is: August 26 - September 3.
*Location: Beautiful Black Rock Desert, Nevada. (The middle of nowhere)
*Theme: I, Robot

Every year our group of Airstreameri (as we are called) meet on the Playa and create a theme camp around our Airstreams. We offer up a variety of things to the Burning Man Community.

Anyone is welcome to join us and participation in the camp is a must.
There are no "camp fees" but each individual is required to buy their own ticket and vehicle pass. Tickets are not yet on sale but visit burningman.org for all the latest info. Tickets do sell out quickly so read all the info and get ready to jump on line when they become available. It’s happening soon.

The Burning Man Event is not for everyone. It's wildly creative and crazy on a 24 hour clock. If you have not attended before, read everything on the Burning Man site about the event and especially the preparation information. It is a boondocking, Leave No Trace event and you must pack in and pack out everything you need. You may also want to sign up for the Burning Man newsletter, the Jackrabbit Speaks, (JRS) to get current updates and info.

The weather is often rough and always unpredictable. It can be blistering hot, freezing cold, rainy and muddy and usually windy. Your Airstream will be full of soft, talc like dust. It doesn't scratch or damage but it does creep in no matter what you do. And never completely leaves.

But then there are also those perfect days. And beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Just be prepared.

If you would like to join us, please do. Introduce yourself here and jump on this thread to help with the planning. We like to have a rough idea how many are attending and what they will be camping in so we can very loosely lay out our camp. All are welcome.

We offer a bar for our camp and the community at large (that anyone can host any time of the day with whatever they would like to share), a shade structure "post office" for making post cards (that we stamp and mail for people), the amazing (VVV) volcano art car will be back, there will be a potluck (or several), a variety of games, and of course whatever else you would like to contribute would be great. Last year’s Lemonade Stand was fantastic. New ideas/suggestions/offerings are always welcome. Let us know here what you'd like to do. The theme this year offers endless possibilities. Can't wait to see what shows up! The playa is a land of continual surprises.

Looking forward to another amazing year.
Let the planning begin!
Cheers,
Laurel (aka Bam)

Old 01-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Good Morning, Bam, and Happy New Year! Can't wait. Even more mods in work for my Burning Man Airstream (say goodbye to that stupid big back end window).

Quote:
Hard to believe it started in 2007 when I accidentally camped next to Nevada Geo at Burnstream Court.
That was my first year, too. Camped next to Artstream and Buttercup loaned me a battery to replace the one that didn't quite make it to Black Rock City.

Zep
Old 01-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
St Petersburg , Florida
Good morning! Glad to see the new forum is up.

I should be able to make it out this year and drag mine all the way from Florida. My truck has been in the shop for a complete check up and repairs. I will start going over the trailer. 2017 was a good refresher for me and I hope to see everyone in August.

Brother Bill
Old 01-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Subscribing for another year, , ,

Anyone building a transformer style 'stream for this years theme?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Good morning from newbies Todd & Laurel! Still hoping/planning to join this year for our first Burn.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Mount Dora , stevenwilliams
Hey Bam and all,
Rachel and I will not able to make it this year, staying on the east coast. She wanted to go and looked into being on the psych team..maybe next year. I went from dragging her there to an enthusiastic "I want to go again!". You're right--it's not for everyone. If fact there are few people I know who I think would enjoy it.
We will miss you all!
If someone's on the fence about coming, send me a note or call.
Regards,
Steve and Rachel Williams
sburrw@gmail.com
352/383-3282
Old 01-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I went in 2010, 2011 & 2012 and had a GREAT time each year. I was unable to get a ticket in 2013 (and, I was in Fernley, NV for three days trying!). I volunteered at the Airport each of the three years that I attended but, that didn't mean squat to BMORG. BMORG kept "improving" the ticketing process and, each year was worse than the year before. The prices have since skyrocketed and now, each vehicle needs an expensive vehicle pass. I'm glad I went when I had the opportunity.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
I live in Toronto and my airstream is in Florida. I might even interested in making my way across the lower US to arrive in time. Any photo from years past?
Old 01-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Mill Valley , California
I'm curious where this group gets placed on the map?
I have been with Nectar Village, at 8&E, for years but I am considering spreading my wings. I would love to be in the thread here as I contemplate my BM future.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
I look forward to staying in the loop and seeing/meeting all in the coming year! Happy New Year all.

Scott
Old 01-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Gawd - all this lovely planning starts again!!!

I will be moving to Tucson in a week but, with JuJu's assistance, we'll make the drive back to join ya'll in 2018.

For the interview of my new, AWESOME job, I had to give a presentation - no direction given for the format or topic. Split it into two sections, with the second being preparing for Burning Man. Got the job!! Shout out to CosmicRay and SpitFire for their insight to the astronomy/astro-physics community - starting with the camp techno talk last year!

Can't wait to see you all in BRC.
Cheers,
2006 F-150 Lariat QuadCrew
AIR 31804
WBCCI 10718
Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftingGirl View Post
I'm curious where this group gets placed on the map?
Usually between 2:30 and 3:30, about 2/3 of the way out. That's supposedly the "quiet sector" for old people and people who are willing to camp with old people who are a little nutty and like margaritas.

Zep
Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
How many airstreams were in attendance past years?
Old 01-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Just looking for thing for my bucket list.
I was considering Burning Man as one of my choices but the website says it costs about a grand for a single ticket?
WOW! I could get a on stage seat at most any concert for that cash layout!
Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
the website says it costs about a grand for a single ticket?
Not quite. Plan on $1000 for two people and a vehicle.

But the logistics of being self-supporting for a week, plus the gas to get there can easily exceed $1000 per person. For example, you can't put gray water on the playa. So you either need a system to evaporate it or you have to haul it out. These kinds of support systems aren't terribly expensive, but they aren't free, either.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #16
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Just looking for thing for my bucket list.
I was considering Burning Man as one of my choices but the website says it costs about a grand for a single ticket?
WOW! I could get a on stage seat at most any concert for that cash layout!
Keep in mind that it’s not a concert. There are endless events and a variety of amazing things happening 24 hours a day with camping for over a week. Roads are laid out, there is security, law enforcement, and medical facilities. Even the number of porta potties is mind boggling. Yeah, it’s a lot of money and it would be nice if it was less. It’s grown to a huge event (maybe too big?) but we are not here to debate it’s merits. This is a planning thread for those planning to brave it all and attend.

Cheers.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Can you hookup drive to a dump station? Then return?
Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #18
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotTyers View Post
Can you hookup drive to a dump station? Then return?
Not really. There is nothing nearby and getting in and out is a big hassle.

There are “pump trucks” that come out to the playa later in the week and will pump out your tanks for a fee. A hefty fee. But if you need it, it’s worth it. We usually flag them down on Thursday and anyone who wants to use their services can do so. I usually use them but there have been times that I haven’t and didn’t have a problem.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Not really. There is nothing nearby and getting in and out is a big hassle.

There are “pump trucks” that come out to the playa later in the week and will pump out your tanks for a fee. A hefty fee. But if you need it, it’s worth it. We usually flag them down on Thursday and anyone who wants to use their services can do so. I usually use them but there have been times that I haven’t and didn’t have a problem.
Thanks. What does hefty mean?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
hey all,
on my bucket list, not sure when I'll go, but would like to be on this thread to learn more. My kids are old enough to leave alone these days, one will be off at college in Sept even. So if my wife is into it, we may go for it. Travelling from the SF Bay Area, so kinda easy in the scheme of things.
my trailer is old, and was thick with dirt and dust from the prior 40yrs, so I'm not worried about that so much as having a nice new one
Sounds like an awesome adventure and something I'm determined to do one of these days.
I'm curious about generators, are these permitted in camp? I don't own one (yet) and not militant against them, but just can't stand these RV types who run them to watch TV etc !! drives me nuts ...
Closed Thread