Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 02:16 AM   #121
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Fullerton , California
Only 2 weeks away... I will be bringing a 25' airstream, a photobooth, a bar table arcade, espresso, and 3 guest. I hope to arrive Sunday early morning. Cant wait to see everyone again!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #122
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvoigt View Post
Hey everyone,

Looks like a lot of people come early to help setup and stuff. What is the deal with that. We actually did that in 2012 to help setup our camp back then but I forget the process. I'm a bit nervous coming too early cause I'm not sure how Jayden (2yrs) will handle the whole week but I'd love to come earlier and help setup. What help is needed earlier if we did come?

Can't believe we're so close!!

Astro
It’s not necessary for everyone to come early. I probably wouldn’t try it with a two year old. 😎
Old 08-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Scientific Arm Waving multi Syllabic talk?

Hi fellow dustyites, I've been remiss in haranguing anyone to do our annual scientific dusty talk, after our potluck and non business meeting. (After many hours of study and accounting, our yearly fee to join our camp has stayed the same.)o(
Perhaps Gigi has taken care of asking for a speaker.
Seems that we have enough talented, skilled, folks in our camp to have a talk every nite if we got ambitious. Does anyone have a "burning" need to give us some interesting secret almost declassified research, or maybe a talk about the proper care and eating of mushrooms, or darker dark matter?
I'm sure you don't want me to talk about the size fractions of the dust again.
(It's small.) an hour talk in two words...

NevadaGeo
Old 08-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #124
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Rumor has it that our esteemed Airstreameri Michel has some things to say post potluck.

He’s always interesting. And dusty. 🤓
Old 08-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #125

San Francisco , California
Look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday or Monday. This is my first time bringing an airstream to burning man - what are everyone’s tips and sage advice about how to protect the trailer from dust? I am living in it full time and have nightmares about what’s going to become of my home! I have a few days to get it protected and ready - where to start? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Pittsboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjk View Post
Look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday or Monday. This is my first time bringing an airstream to burning man - what are everyone’s tips and sage advice about how to protect the trailer from dust? I am living in it full time and have nightmares about what’s going to become of my home! I have a few days to get it protected and ready - where to start? Thanks!
My thoughts. Sort of like flying into the back country. Before you go unload and store every thing you won't need for this mission. Minimum load is best. That way you wont be cleaning playa off of things you did not need or use. Some folks use blue tape to seal their windows and gaps from the dust. I have used my fridge and a/c with no problems and never taped up anything. But I am kind of a slack ass. Main thing I remember, why take anything you wont be needing.

Best,

AHman
Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #127
2 Rivet Member

etobicoke , California
Hi Gigi (Or anyone else),

Couple quick questions:
-Can you explain the potluck a bit more? How big a dish should we bring, to feed how many? Any examples of things that have worked well in the past? Is a big pot of spaghetti and sauce something that will be appreciated?
-If we bring 50 stamps is that a good amount?

Notes:
-We are going to bring a 20x20 shade structure. We'll also bring a bunch of chairs that can be used there or somewhere else. Still organizing the interior components but will make sure we do it up well.
-We're bringing a bunch of bar stuff, it can be used at the main bar OR we can organize some group things between all of us for certain nights. I'm easy. We're bringing stuff for Mojitos, Moscow Mules and we have a couple of cases of wine. (Will probably organize wine a cheese night and bring a bunch of both!)
-We have a couple of butterfly nets to catch moop or imaginary butterflies.

Setup
-Who do we talk to about helping setup things? Who is in charge of what structures and what components so I know who to reach out too.

Looking forward to helping out, meeting new people, exploring the art and just about anything else that comes with all of that!

Jon aka Astro
Old 08-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #128
2 Rivet Member

etobicoke , California
Oh Oh, also, any update on the address of the camp yet??
Old 08-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #129
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
The camp is at 2:45 and Frisbo, or thereabouts. Perry (NevadaGeo) heads up the erection of the common shade structure that he brings. Anyone else with a large shade structure to be used communally (like you, Astro, for example) would be in charge of setting that up. Looks like Gigi and Jethro will be in charge of the bar and peace sign. We all confer with and usually defer to the head wrangler Dr. Quark (aka Roger, or Zep) as to where to put things and park things. Michel (Maple Syrup) has an art car that requires considerable assembly, and he appreciates any help in putting the VVV (Vintage Volcanic Vagina) together.

I would say that if you are hanging around and see someone lifting, assembling, or erecting something, just walk on over and offer to help. I can assure you that no one will be posting any work schedules or anything like that.

As for the potluck, my philosophy on quantities to bring is that if 50 people come, and everyone brings enough food for 50, then you have enough food for 2,500. I'd say an ordinary serving bowl or tray full of whatever should suffice. I am bringing about a quart of my famous (at least in my own mind famous) Cuban pork and plantain stew. I know that this is probably too much - but it is so good that all the non-vegetarians will want at least a couple of spoonfuls.

Obi Wan
Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #130
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I have been trying to talk Jilly Bean into offering up a lecture, you may not know that she is an MD,PhD and full professor. She is a sought after speaker in her field of Psychiatry because of her depth of knowledge and energetic speaking style (not that anyone in our camp is in need of her help). She has a number of lectures that she has given innumerable times, like "Psychiatry and the Skin", "Mood Disorders across the Female Life Span" and more recently "Food and Mood". If you have ever got her talking about the microbiome you will know that she has a passionate interest in that subject, and could talk off the cuff about how bacteria in your gut affect the workings of your brain. She is also gonzo about mushrooms and could talk your ear off about that subject. She routinely teaches medical students and psychology interns on all basic psychiatry topics. She said: "Maybe I could say something about Self-Care" - I don't really know what she meant by that, but I assume it means taking care of your own mental health on the playa and at home. She could do a killer Q & A on any psychiatric or psychological topic. She doesn't know that I am posting this - work on her when you get to BRC and maybe she will do something after the potluck.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #131
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
1. I am probably in need of her help.

2. Please lecture us! I will help motivate her.

Zep
Old 08-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #132
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Any amount of postcard postage works! 50 sounds great, thanks Astro. Thinking spaghetti would go over well. The spread is typically creative, varied and much appreciated by all. It's always my favorite playa meal. Obi's advice on the serving size is good.

I would love to hear anything and everything from Jilly Bean.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #133
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Brc! Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 2.48.28 PM.png
Views:	69
Size:	627.2 KB
ID:	319797
Old 08-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #134
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
1. I am probably in need of her help.

2. Please lecture us! I will help motivate her.

Zep
I agree. Unrehearsed, live talks work great, and we are such a difficult audience..
And don't forget there's a mushroom expert in the tent I believe?

NevadaGeo
Old 08-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Hi Gigi (Or anyone else),

Couple quick questions:
-Can you explain the potluck a bit more? How big a dish should we bring, to feed how many? Any examples of things that have worked well in the past? Is a big pot of spaghetti and sauce something that will be appreciated?
-If we bring 50 stamps is that a good amount?

Notes:
-We are going to bring a 20x20 shade structure. We'll also bring a bunch of chairs that can be used there or somewhere else. Still organizing the interior components but will make sure we do it up well.
-We're bringing a bunch of bar stuff, it can be used at the main bar OR we can organize some group things between all of us for certain nights. I'm easy. We're bringing stuff for Mojitos, Moscow Mules and we have a couple of cases of wine. (Will probably organize wine a cheese night and bring a bunch of both!)
-We have a couple of butterfly nets to catch moop or imaginary butterflies.

Setup
-Who do we talk to about helping setup things? Who is in charge of what structures and what components so I know who to reach out too.

Looking forward to helping out, meeting new people, exploring the art and just about anything else that comes with all of that!

Jon aka Astro
My plan is to get there by Saturday morning light, if possible. Somehow I always find the wrong hour to hit the gate, shift change, what not and don't get to camp by then.
Our shade structure is a used 10X20 Costco Carport that I bought from a puppy rescue lady in Reno, props for her. When our ladies elect where the structure goes, I put the yellow plastic "vapor barrier" mat down, drive on it and erect the structure from the truck, no ladder required. Nothing goes on the top of the structure until each pole is attached to the ground. Then the "Desert Shade Cloth, model BM... " goes on top and one side.
The ladies might want to have your structure near it and Gigi's shade.
WAIT Folks, this might be our Windnesday evening dinner Wind shade!
It all works out, no worries.
Gigi beat me to posting the photo of the city going up. You can see there's smoke in the air.
Yup, there was a fire near Pyramid Lake that they called with my name, but I wan't in that county and it's out now. Hope the air clears up in a couple of weeks.

NevadaGeo
Old 08-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #136
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I always cover my upholstery with old sheets and put floor mats on the floor to absorb some of the dust. It does help...somewhat.

So sorry I’m going to miss you all this year.
Have a great Burn!!

Cheers!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #137
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
My first Bam-less Burn . Thanks for still helping us all online. You will be missed and toasted properly.

Last year, BK and Punky put down art banner paper (could use something else) on our floor with painter's tape and it made the floor clean up MUCH easier. Planning on doing that again. Otherwise we are pretty slack, also cover the upholstery like Bam mentioned.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #138
2 Rivet Member

etobicoke , California
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'll do my famous spaghetti sauce (famous with my wife). :P

Also, I'm totally fine being responsible for completely setting up my shade structure. I do lots of events and setup this stuff, if anyone is around to help cool, otherwise I'll have it up before you even notice I'm there!

I can help with the art car as well!! Love building things, lol.

Hey everyone, if you're on Facebook, jump on this map as well and join this camp, then we can connect on Facebook as well! REALLY cool way to find your friends in other camps too.

https://burnermap.com

Astro
Old 08-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'll do my famous spaghetti sauce (famous with my wife). :P

Also, I'm totally fine being responsible for completely setting up my shade structure. I do lots of events and setup this stuff, if anyone is around to help cool, otherwise I'll have it up before you even notice I'm there!

I can help with the art car as well!! Love building things, lol.

Hey everyone, if you're on Facebook, jump on this map as well and join this camp, then we can connect on Facebook as well! REALLY cool way to find your friends in other camps too.

https://burnermap.com

Astro
Hey Astro (do we have two astrophysists now?). Plan on bolting your structure down for 70 plus mph winds. I use #4 and #5 rebar x about 18 to 24" with washers welded on the sides of the ends for ratcheting tie down ends. You'll see other's recommending fancy lag screws, spendy but they say they work.

Some of our folks are already on the road to come home!
It's time to start freezing those jugs of water and freezing food, I do some frozen protein cycles of some meat I've wrecked on the barbeque. Works for me but a chef I are not.
Have lights for your bicycles, we don't want to run over any "darkWads".

Newbie assignments: Catch all the MOOP you see for your MOOP bucket. (Unless it's a tent flying by bigger than you with Sparkle Ponies in it, then maybe just duck and photograph it) .
Go out there and take photos of all the art you can find and come back and report what you've found.
And Welcome Home!

NevadaGeo
Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #140
2 Rivet Member

etobicoke , California
NevadaGeo, At the burn I can be anything, lol.

OH, definitely bolting down the structure. I usually bend the ends of the rebar but washers are even better! I have a drill where I preset the holes which makes hammering in easier but the rebar is still super strong.

We left Toronto July 4th and have been on the road since. Agreed, lights lights lights!

Astro
Closed Thread