Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
Head Animal Wrangler
 
BamCamper's Avatar
 
2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,619
Images: 17
Burning Man 2016! Planning thread...

Happy New Year one and all!
Hard to believe 2016 is already upon us and another summer looms on the distant horizon.

It is time to get the 2016 Playa Planning going.

This year's event is: August 28 - September 5.
Location: Black Rock Desert, Nevada.

Every year our group of Airstreameri (as we are called) meet on the Playa and create a theme camp around our Airstreams. We offer up a variety of things to the community at large.

Anyone is welcome to join us and participation in the camp is a must.
There are no "camp fees" but each individual is required to buy their own ticket and vehicle pass. Tickets are not yet on sale but visit burningman.org for all the latest info. Ticket info is usually available around mid January.

The Burning Man Festival is not for everyone. It's crazy and noisy on a 24 hour clock. If you have not attended before, read everything on the Burning Man site about the event and especially the preparation information. It is a boondocking, Leave No Trace event and you must pack in and pack out everything you need. You may also want to sign up for the Burning Man newsletter, the Jackrabbit Speaks, (JRS) to get updates.

The weather is often rough and always unpredictable. It can be blistering hot, freezing cold, rainy and muddy and usually windy. Your Airstream will be full of soft, talc like dust. It doesn't scratch or damage but it does creep in no matter what you do. But then there are also those perfect days. And beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Just be prepared.

If you would like to join us, please do. Let us know *here* and jump on this thread to help with the planning.

We usually offer a small bar for the community (that anyone can host anytime of the day with whatever they would like to share), a shade structure "post office" for making post cards (that we stamp and mail for people), rumor has it that there will also be an amazing art car (photos later), and of course whatever else you would like to contribute would be great. New ideas/suggestions/offerings are always welcome. Let us know here what you'd like to do.

Looking forward to another fantastic year. It is an amazing experience.
Let the planning begin!
Cheers.
__________________

__________________
Rally on,
Bam
and no, those photos are not me.



BamCamper is offline  
Old 01-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
NevadaGeo's Avatar

 
1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Happy New Year one and all!
Hard to believe 2016 is already upon us and another summer looms on the distant horizon.

It is time to get the 2016 Playa Planning going.

This year's event is: August 28 - September 5.
Location: Black Rock Desert, Nevada.

Every year our group of Airstreameri (as we are called) meet on the Playa and create a theme camp around our Airstreams. We offer up a variety of things to the community at large.

Anyone is welcome to join us and participation in the camp is a must.
There are no "camp fees" but each individual is required to buy their own ticket and vehicle pass. Tickets are not yet on sale but visit burningman.org for all the latest info. Ticket info is usually available around mid January.

The Burning Man Festival is not for everyone. It's crazy and noisy on a 24 hour clock. If you have not attended before, read everything on the Burning Man site about the event and especially the preparation information. It is a boondocking, Leave No Trace event and you must pack in and pack out everything you need. You may also want to sign up for the Burning Man newsletter, the Jackrabbit Speaks, (JRS) to get updates.

The weather is often rough and always unpredictable. It can be blistering hot, freezing cold, rainy and muddy and usually windy. Your Airstream will be full of soft, talc like dust. It doesn't scratch or damage but it does creep in no matter what you do. But then there are also those perfect days. And beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Just be prepared.

If you would like to join us, please do. Let us know *here* and jump on this thread to help with the planning.

We usually offer a small bar for the community (that anyone can host anytime of the day with whatever they would like to share), a shade structure "post office" for making post cards (that we stamp and mail for people), rumor has it that there will also be an amazing art car (photos later), and of course whatever else you would like to contribute would be great. New ideas/suggestions/offerings are always welcome. Let us know here what you'd like to do.

Looking forward to another fantastic year. It is an amazing experience.
Let the planning begin!
Cheers.
Gollllly Bam, you just did most of the planning there all ready. Yes, you can see snow and 100 degrees in the same day, calm and white out the same hour, and amazing flaming serpents and propane cannon wars and 40 foot ladies and Temples and other mundane things. Many many thanks to everyone last year with our Leave No Trace perfect green on the map.

But plan on! The placement gods turn on the application usually in February, some years we even need to know how many are coming before the application form comes up. Oh Yeayy!
__________________

__________________
I admit to being powerless over housecleaning and social niceities
Airforums 22655 and now, WBCCI 22655

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline  
Old 01-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Zeppelinium's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,886
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Can't wait. This year I am bringing my anti-X-Ray googles, the ones that make it appear that people are dressed rather than the other way around.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline  
Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
RamblinManGa's Avatar

 
2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 822
Images: 2
Hi from AZ. . .sign me up ! ! ! Hope to make this work this year, & thanks, Craig
__________________
WBCCI 2851,4CU
RamblinManGa is offline  
Old 01-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
RMB
3 Rivet Member
 
RMB's Avatar
 
2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 191
Images: 1
Bob and I will be there providing the creek don't rise, some disaster strike us or we cant get tickets!...We will be there with our cauldron car looking to light up the Playa :-)

As soon as the body is stripped off and a framework welded around the truck we will put a call out for lighting ideas, painting and general "dressing up". We may also need a friendly US mail address to send our US sourced materials, and a willing porter or two to bring US sourced materials to the site for us.

Excited already :-)
__________________
"All that is mine, I carry with me." Cicero
RMB is offline  
Old 01-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
SuperSamuli's Avatar
 
2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2009 34' Panamerica
Sarvvik , FINLAND
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 21
I'm bringing my customized Eddie Bauer and our geodesic Sauna Dome experience - however, we are staying at Silicon Village Burners. All Airstream owners are welcome to visit - also outside of the "official sauna hours / events".
__________________
SuperSamuli is offline  
Old 01-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

 
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 184
I attended Burning Man 2010, 2011 & 2012. Getting a ticket became harder every year and, in 2013, I was unable to get a ticket at all. Really pissed me off as I had volunteered with Unicom at the airport each of the three years I attended. I didn't even try for a ticket in 2014 / 2015. For those who do get a ticket, it's an amazing experience. CAREFULLY read and follow the comprehensive "Survival Guide" put out by the BMO (Burning Man Organization). Burning Man may be the ultimate boondock camping experience.
__________________
NY24 is offline  
Old 01-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
1976 25' Tradewind
1970 27' Overlander
1978 25' Tradewind
Sanibel , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Hi Everyone,
Hopefully we will get tickets this year and be able to join you. I will help with postage and some of my crafty cocktails. My partner is a amazing henna tattoo artist so he will set up a few times during the week to share his creativity. (He's also a swiss trained chef so maybe I will get him to whip up some fun munchies too. He is an electrical engineer that used to wire casinos so if anything electrical breaks he's really handy to have around.)
My Best, Mg
__________________
Florida239 is offline  
Old 01-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
SuperSamuli's Avatar
 
2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2009 34' Panamerica
Sarvvik , FINLAND
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 21
Tickets are hard to get. Last year we bought those twice as expensive "early-tickets" - no problem getting those. Normal priced tickets were a headache - I'm glad we did not try to buy those - lot of people were left out without tickets.
__________________
SuperSamuli is offline  
Old 01-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
NevadaGeo's Avatar

 
1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,252
Sauna Dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSamuli View Post
Tickets are hard to get. Last year we bought those twice as expensive "early-tickets" - no problem getting those. Normal priced tickets were a headache - I'm glad we did not try to buy those - lot of people were left out without tickets.
Wow, that's an incredible looking sauna dome. Keep us posted on where your village will be, we gotta see that! and you're going to Alumapaloza? Wow! That's a fer commute from Finsland!
__________________
I admit to being powerless over housecleaning and social niceities
Airforums 22655 and now, WBCCI 22655

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline  
Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
NevadaGeo's Avatar

 
1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida239 View Post
Hi Everyone,
Hopefully we will get tickets this year and be able to join you. I will help with postage and some of my crafty cocktails. My partner is a amazing henna tattoo artist so he will set up a few times during the week to share his creativity. (He's also a swiss trained chef so maybe I will get him to whip up some fun munchies too. He is an electrical engineer that used to wire casinos so if anything electrical breaks he's really handy to have around.)
My Best, Mg
Welcome Mg! We'll be putting you guys to work for sure!
__________________
I admit to being powerless over housecleaning and social niceities
Airforums 22655 and now, WBCCI 22655

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #12
New Member
 
2016 19' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3
I'm considering attending this year, but I wonder if someone can tell me what the clean up is like in the airstream. I attended burning man about 10 years ago for 3 years in a row in a vintage ford econoline van. From what I remember that dust gets in everything, everywhere and it's impossible to get out. I just bought a new 19' airstream and am a little hesitant about going in such a new rig. How does it hold up in the elements? Besides the obvious of washing inside and out when you leave, have you had any other issues...like never fully getting the dust out of the ac ducts or something? New to both my airstream and this forum. Thanks in advance. I hope to join this year!
__________________
captainJames is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
RMB
3 Rivet Member
 
RMB's Avatar
 
2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 191
Images: 1
ahhh its not so bad :-)

I took my brand new AS 23 International in 2012...I put insulated reflective sheeting on the fridge vents, furnace and water heater. I only opened windows at night when the wind was down; took off playa clothes outside. I had to take valium to deal with the shock of seeing other Airstreamers who "let the dust in" - and I got some dust.
Last year, I left the vents uncovered, door open, windows open, forgot about the valium and did what other Airtreamers did and what the hay, I got some dust.
In both cases, an exterior wash following a vinegar spray, then a wax job did the outside. Inside, lots of vacuuming and a bit of wiping again with a dash of vinegar - and its like it never happened.
Now and then I find a little cowering collection of dust in a remote corner and I have to smile at the memories it brings back.
In a nutshell: Go, enjoy and forgetabout it!
__________________
"All that is mine, I carry with me." Cicero
RMB is offline  
Old 01-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member
 
2011 16' International
Santa Cruz , California
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
Hey Playa Friends,Kelli and I will be back this year, with our little Bambi and two members of the next generation, our 21 yo daughter Madeline and 22 yo son Conlin. First timers, both of them. We are happy to join in on lecture night again, reviving the Gynecology portion of educational series. Sister Jill is a maybe.
Can't wait!
__________________

__________________
gnewel is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burning Man 2014! Planning thread... BamCamper Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 319 01-10-2015 05:46 AM
Burning Man 2013! Planning thread... BamCamper Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 291 07-13-2014 12:08 AM
Burning Man 2012! Planning Thread BamCamper Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 548 03-04-2014 06:02 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.