Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #21

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Thanks for your response! That's what I needed to hear. It sounds a lot like raising my first and then second child. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
ahhh its not so bad :-)

I took my brand new AS 23 International in 2012...I put insulated reflective sheeting on the fridge vents, furnace and water heater. I only opened windows at night when the wind was down; took off playa clothes outside. I had to take valium to deal with the shock of seeing other Airstreamers who "let the dust in" - and I got some dust.
Last year, I left the vents uncovered, door open, windows open, forgot about the valium and did what other Airtreamers did and what the hay, I got some dust.
In both cases, an exterior wash following a vinegar spray, then a wax job did the outside. Inside, lots of vacuuming and a bit of wiping again with a dash of vinegar - and its like it never happened.
Now and then I find a little cowering collection of dust in a remote corner and I have to smile at the memories it brings back.
In a nutshell: Go, enjoy and forgetabout it!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Hi Everyone,

Check out this Newslette4er from my local unit...complete with an article about US!
Wow Dang RMB, I didn't know we did all that.

NevadaGeo
Old 02-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #23
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
No dogs allowed... :-(
Our dogs are seasoned desert campers and hikers. I understand the issues, and it is probably a good thing that they are banned, but this results in no options for us. Sorry...
Old 02-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida239 View Post
I have a couple of curious questions.
How much water does everyone usually haul in for the week? How much propane do you need to use your refrigerator for the week? Solar or generators for fans/ac?
We have lots of great teas- one of my closest friends blends them so we will bring lots of teas and make bunches of iced teas some of them are pretty good spiked
You'll probably want access to air conditioning. We have lots of beautiful Nevada Air, conditioned very well from calm forever visibility and distant mirages to dust occluded less than 20', temperatures from 110's to 30's, and that's Tuesday morning. Wednesday you're on your own. Watch out for lightening, parching dry, rain with double and triple rainbows and that's your Thursday. Friday at 16:00 precisely there will be a white out, guaranteed for many years now (that's the start of the bicycle ride at the Man, better know as Critical.... We usually assist with the after bike ride party (at a previously secret location only known by the driver of Soul Train, members of the Playa Choir, Mary's Gynecologist and us if we're lucky) by setting up the bike locating poles and holding the Sacred Circle for the thousands of ladies and their Drumming Circle and that's your Friday. Oh, if RMB brings Placed Playa Art and has the permission from FAST (Fire Arts Safety Team), we help him burn his perfectly good art on Thursday.
So welcome to the fun. And fill your water tanks. We can flag down vacuum trucks roaming the city for pump out ($65 or something) Maybe bring a few more water jugs as other's chime in. Haven't heard of anyone running out of propane for refrigerator that I can remember.
Stay tuned, more info coming down the tubes soon.

NevadaGeo
Old 02-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida239 View Post
I have a couple of curious questions.
How much water does everyone usually haul in for the week? How much propane do you need to use your refrigerator for the week? Solar or generators for fans/ac?
Two bottles of propane will last up to three weeks with cooking, hot water, and fridge all included. I always bring 15-20 gal of extra water in 5 gal jerry cans. As a solo camper I've never had to use more than one can above my Safari's standard fresh tank.

You'll run out of eggs first. Make yourself a "desert cooler" by wrapping a standard styrofoam cooler with silver mylar bubble wrap insulation (make a jacket using clear tape, with a lid that slides down over the lower jacket). You can keep things cool for 4-6 days, plus you can buy ice on the playa. In the "old" days before ice sales, a double insulated cooler was essential in getting through the week. If there is more than one of you in the Airstream, you'll find the fridge isn't quite big enough (speaking for vintage owners, here. The new fridges are a big improvement unless you're in a Bambi).

My advice is camp in your trailer for a week and you will answer most of your questions. If you haven't ever done that, Burning Man is not the place to do it for the first time. Do it even if you have to camp in your driveway and go to work every day--you'll learn a lot.

As for air conditioning--it is desirable, but you can do OK inside a closed Airstream for maybe 2 hours if you have a 12V fan. With no fan and no A/C you can last about 5 minutes. The dust storms don't last forever. Median length is about 2 hours...

Zep
Old 02-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Cut to Archie <crawls out of hole, blinks, rubs eyes with fists> Oh yeah, tickets...right! Next month! Are we Main Sale underlings or Directed Group? (http://tickets.burningman.org) Can't wait to see ya'll. Need to go home.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Read the ticket sale info at the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman View Post
Cut to Archie <crawls out of hole, blinks, rubs eyes with fists> Oh yeah, tickets...right! Next month! Are we Main Sale underlings or Directed Group? (http://tickets.burningman.org) Can't wait to see ya'll. Need to go home.
Welcome home Archie! We have a tiny little bit of info from Placement, nothing but a general Wake Up and get your Burner Profile Up to date.
Anyone that buys a ticket needs a Burner Profile that works with the Email addy you put on the Burner Profile. Best to go check that your Profile is working.
And Dang, $80 for a vehicle pass?, on top of the 9% graft to the Nevada unlegislators, and the ticket delivery to your mailbox fee, and the last fee TicketFly tacks on that nobody knows about, was it $20 or something

And so, who out there wants to come home? Grumpy Formologist may want to know soon. Hey, somebody build me a BurningMan Airstreameri emoticom or I'll use wally

NevadaGeo
Old 02-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
RMB, we love your article especially all the discreet dusty details.

Gigi and Rex are returning home with the little one (Tanya). She's applied to volunteer for mental health so we can use her skills in camp as well. Planning on bringing back the Peace sign and hopefully a new scrap art piece too. 'Peace of metal' is currently in the back yard by the chicken coop complete with Christmas lights. We think we'll bring the lights too this year for added visual appeal and safety.

Our poor trailer is in the shop getting a whole new floor. It was so rotten that we could have broken in one of the soft spots during the lock out instead of launching Tanya thru the cut screen. It's a wonder it didn't collapse during the big dust party...must have been playa magic.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #29
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Wow Gigi. Good luck with your trailer!
Can't wait to see the new art.

Yay Archie. Yay Gail and Kelli.

Well done on the post cards BeadZ.

I guess we are all famous in Canada now.
How's the art car coming along?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
As someone I know says in a gorgeous little girl voice; "Wake Up! Wake Up! Gidup! I want to Play!

NevadaGeo
Old 02-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Emoji test

Mr. Gigi made this for us:
Attached Images

NevadaGeo
Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #32
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Nice!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #33
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Hi everyone!

Pub Bob and I are beavering away on the Airstreameri Art Car - here is some news.

The back of the pickup is off,with our help Derm the local island mechanic, will have the cab and fenders off within a few days. Ill take some photos and send them when we are at that stage.

After a lot of thought, budget balancing and work assessment, we decided to modify our plan a little. Instead of a cauldron it will be a volcano built of lights and not 2x4s. We expect the caldera to be about 10' high spewing smoke and bubbles and the slopes of the cone will be numerous light strings so at night, it will appear to be a volcano.

With a 3,000w generator mounted onboard we should be able to incorporate many, many lights and power the smoke and bubble machines without any problems.
We still want to have a brew bubbling on the hood for thirsty Playa folk and we will still have seating all around the vehicle for everyone's use as we drive around the Playa as originally planned.

Help:

Over the next few months, if any of you run into any lost, abandoned or forgotten cushions, please grab on to them for our seating!

Does anyone want to drive a shift? About 4 hours, all around the Playa...

We need a US address of one of you to send the smoke and bubble fluids to. It will save us quite a bit of money that way rather than have it all shipped to Canada.

I m sure we will need more help as we build, but those two items stand out at the moment.

Cheers!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
RMB, all sounds incredible. So exciting. What will her name be?

If Billie and Frank come thru PDX and rent a U-Haul truck, our crew could haul some or all of the bubble and smoke fluid. Also perhaps some of us who are coming near Portland could stop by and grab some as well (Ron and Robin? etc.) What size load are you anticipating?

Billie, Frank, Tanya (requesting co-pilot/spotter), and Rex are up for driving shifts. I have 8 dark brown tie-on seat cushions to bring and will look for more.

Rex just got approved as a DMV Hottie (Perry said they'll take any warm body so maybe I should apply too ).

All this news is cheering up my dreary Portland day.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #35
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Jugs

The fluids are water based and come in plastic jugs ... about 2 gallon size. I figure we will go though at least 2 jugs per night ( one for the fogger, one for the bubbler) ergo...10 - 20 jugs total.

As soon as the ticket issue is settled, anyone who has their tickets , who is willing and are coning can contact me and I will have the stuff shipped direct to them.

Pub Bob and I are going to be on the hunt for some lights we saw this Christmas ( and didn't buy and are now off the racks!) ...a fixture consisting of three coloured laser spotlights that sort of rotate ... We think it would be great shining upwards though the fog and bubbles. If anyone catches sight of something like this, please let me know .

Other than that - stand by by for photo of our stripped Mazda.. Oh and the name of this thing ..... Well, I toss that out to all our Airstreameries! PubBob and I are open to the groups most popular suggestion.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Sign me up for a "Four hour tour" as pilot of the "Valcanado"! Maybe a few more than one! Sure hope I get a ticket.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I'll drive as well, if I get a ticket, thanks...... Craig
Old 02-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
2001 19' Bambi
1978 25' Tradewind
Sanibel , Florida
Assuming Jerry and I are lucky and get tickets. Sign Jerry and I up for a four hr shift We might have one of those halloween led light fixtures that projects a couple of colors( it might be witches) on to a building and moves around. We also have the green and red laser projector but that has a warning about sending it in an upward direction more that 20 degrees due to interference with airplanes. I will dig thru our holiday boxes and see if we have any other options for you for the lights.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2011 16' International
Santa Cruz , California
We're all getting super excited!
Kelli will want to drive a 4 hour shift, for sure, probably as many as she can get.
Our kids are definitely coming, too. Conlin is 22 and Madeline will be 21. Not sure how much they'll want to hang with their old moms, but they will at least make guest appearances. Jill, maybe Bruno, hope to come, too.
BeadZ, how do I volunteer to work postal? I can't find that option on the volunteer form.
Archie! Yay! Looking forward to meeting up with you again at the home place.
And all of you.
Gail and Kelli
Old 02-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Redwood City , California
Did someone mention an art car
Closed Thread