Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Last year I showed up at at the BRC postoffice and asked to deliver some mail with playa addresses that where near by, and they gave me a stack.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #42
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Here we go as promised!

She-who-has-yet-to-be-named lies stripped and bare for all to see at the local mechanic's back yard, who cannot understand why we are ripping her apart." That was a perfectly good truck!" Well it depends ion how we define perfectly good...is "perfect" a rusty 1987 Mazda B2000 with 140,000 KM? Hmmmm!

But she runs great, purrs right along and starts every time!

The cab is about to come off which will only leave the doors and the hood. Then I will drive it stripped naked, uninsured, unlicensed and unlit ( no police on our island!) over to Pub Bob's yard where we will start her reconstruction.

We still need a name!

Cheers to all :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160225_151038.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	257877   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160225_151101.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	257878  

Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #43
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Howdy ! I'm an east coast burner with a 77 Excella 500, fondly known as 'Area 77'.
This Year after the wind storms last year , I've decided to tow the silver beast out to the burn. I've ogled the Airstream camp from afar and would love to get some tips on Stream camping on the playa. My camp is 'Lightsweeper'. We got placement already but are not sure where yet.
So I'm stalking this thread and hope to get to know some of you as we get psyched for this year's burn.

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

Old 02-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I am confused. I didn't think anyone had placement, yet, unless maybe you're also an art installation that is receiving a grant.

I will grant you that Directed Group Sales is a hint that Placement is coming, but they are not the same.

I assume that you are a many times Burner, but this will be your first time in your Airstream. If I'm correct, there isn't a lot of additional guidance, except maybe the following:
  1. A small generator or solar panel is required to get you through 7 days.
  2. Many of us tape the windows and other vents to control dust.
  3. Your parking orientation is important. If you don't have another RV that you can parallel park with, you should consider parking so that your door is facing North or Northeast. I've gotten through many dust storms with the door open when I've been able to park this way. Yes, it's dusty, but you don't wind up with sand dunes inside.
  4. You must have a small 12V fan if you intend to be inside (closed up) during dust storms, or be able to run your AC (3KW generator). It's perfectly possible to get through the week without running your AC.
  5. If you have an awning, you need to tie it down using strong 4-point restraints (rebar or some such and cargo straps).
  6. Careful control of flush water will enable your black tank to last the whole week (how many are you and are the others trained?).
  7. Have a plan for capturing or evaporating your gray water. Even though you do have a gray tank, it most likely won't make it for the week.

Have fun and let us know your placement location.

Zep
Old 03-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #45
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Great tips Zep!
Yes we have our direct sales tickets and have gotten placement for a few years. So we are assuming placement it not far behind. Last year was my first burn actually and thus the first with this camp. How about those dust storms ?!
Hoping this year to be nowhere near Districkt and between 3 sound camps and away from those infamous 9&I potties. They were at our back door!
I'm experienced in boondocking in the AS but not in the desert. Thanks again for the list of tips ...lots of ideas to get the projects underway. We'll be doing at least 2 festivals for shakedown cruises before the burn.

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by squrlgurl View Post
Great tips Zep!
Yes we have our direct sales tickets and have gotten placement for a few years. So we are assuming placement it not far behind. Last year was my first burn actually and thus the first with this camp. How about those dust storms ?!
Hoping this year to be nowhere near Districkt and between 3 sound camps and away from those infamous 9&I potties. They were at our back door!
I'm experienced in boondocking in the AS but not in the desert. Thanks again for the list of tips ...lots of ideas to get the projects underway. We'll be doing at least 2 festivals for shakedown cruises before the burn.
Hi spurlgurl. I'm suspecting what you have is the DGS invite, and the DGS sale starts at Noon tomorrow for necessary core camp people. BM Tickets just sent out a reminder.
We never know where Placement will put us until sometimes the middle of August. Then sometimes the Placer moves a camp while we're coming in.
In the theme camp application your formologist could ask of Placement Gods to be placed near us if you all want. I've never had a camp to put down that I wanted to be close to, just a not them and not those and definitely not those over there. We'll be sure not to put you next to the line of portapotties. and Plan On!

NevadaGeo
Old 03-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #47
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
The __________(fill in the blank) has landed!

Our Mutant Vehicle has been mutated and now is poised to be reborn in PubBob's yard! Check out the photos below :-)

We need a name for it ...The application form to DMV demands it... any suggestions?

I will have a painting up soon that shows what we are trying to build.

Cheers All !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3429.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	258715   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3424.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	258716  

Name:	DSCF3416.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	521.9 KB
ID:	258717  
Old 03-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Lavalicious?

Urban Dictionary definition of lavalicious - A girl of surpassing hotness, uncanny appeal, and supreme desireability. All three conditions must be met to be a true Lavalicious.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
RMB,

My suggestion, BARE

That comes from, the plate on the back the bear, the condition of the vehicle in its stripped condition and how you all like go leave the playa, empty.

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
volcano + lava + tornado = Valcanado
Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #51
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainJames View Post
I'm considering attending this year, but I wonder if someone can tell me what the clean up is like in the airstream. I attended burning man about 10 years ago for 3 years in a row in a vintage ford econoline van. From what I remember that dust gets in everything, everywhere and it's impossible to get out. I just bought a new 19' airstream and am a little hesitant about going in such a new rig. How does it hold up in the elements? Besides the obvious of washing inside and out when you leave, have you had any other issues...like never fully getting the dust out of the ac ducts or something? New to both my airstream and this forum. Thanks in advance. I hope to join this year!
We are thinking about creating a hexayurt-style entryway for our AS... a dustroom instead of a mudroom! After last year's dust storms I think it would be nice to have an external area to strip off and leave dusty clothes and boots before entering the camper. I'd like to minimize the dust blowing directly in too. If we figure out something that works we'll share it with y'all.

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by squrlgurl View Post
We are thinking about creating a hexayurt-style entryway for our AS... a dustroom instead of a mudroom! After last year's dust storms I think it would be nice to have an external area to strip off and leave dusty clothes and boots before entering the camper. I'd like to minimize the dust blowing directly in too. If we figure out something that works we'll share it with y'all.
I was thinking about something like this... but with an airshower (akin to entering the crew module of the space shuttle - or other contaminant sensitive cleanroom areas) to blow the dust off --- would be cool!

Laura
Old 03-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Greenbrae , California
I'm going to try to come this year if I can get tickets. Will look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Julie
Old 03-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
We got tickets... I think.

Two of us pre-registered last week for the main sale today. And we were lucky enough to get through to the main sale and purchase (2) tickets each - using our unique access codes and both received confirmation numbers - but I think we made an error and used the same ticketfly account. When I click on my confirmation number, it shows invalid order code - and when I go to my ticketfly account, there are no orders.

I've emailed ticketsales to see if they can advise. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . after pre-registering, 1/2 hour in line, "NO TIX AVAIABLE", so they sold all available tix in like 30 minutes. . . ??? Makes you wonder, eh ? ? ? oh well, Craig
Old 03-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
No luck . Didn't get a ticket.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
The application is ON

Don't loose hope about tickets yet, they seem to come available a week or so before the event. I don't believe 30k real BM goers got all those tickets in 30 minutes, seems more like some manipulation with boiler room buyers.

But, the application is ON, time is running down, here's a few questions needing verbosity in the application. I've copied the questions, we'll see if they paste.:::

Project Interactivity *This question is required.
What interactive aspects does your project include? Please check all that apply.
Primarily Day Time
Primarily Night Time
24 Hour Interactive Elements
Scheduled Events
Acculturation for First Time Burners
Action for Reward
Bands
Bar x
Barter
Body Painting x
Chill Space
Circus Art
Collecting Data
Costuming
Crafts x
Create an Environment
Creating Music
Dancing
Drawing x
Drumming
Education Based
Entertaining
Experiments x
Fire Performance
Flame Effects
Food Given (nope, not without a Nevada Food Police Permit)
Formalized Dance
Found Art
Games
Gifts Given
Entertaining Guests
Environmentally Conscious
Heckling xxx
Improvisation
Kinetic Art
Library
Lectures x
Marching Bands
Meditation
Misting System x
Movies x we have before
Music
Painting
Parades
Performance
Photography
Poetry
Performance Art
Recycling Into Art
Ritual
Ritual Performance
Sculpture
Services Rendered
Shared Experience
Silk Screening
Singing
Spoken Word
Structures to Climb or Play On/With
Theme-Related Activities
Theme-Related Visual Effects
Water Art
Workshops
Yoga

Number of Campmates *This question is required.
How many people will be camping with you? This information helps determine how much space your camp might need. It is easier to find a space for smaller camps.

Interactivity is considered in relation to camp size. As you camp grows, your interactivty needs to increase, too.
3 to 6 campers
7 to 12 campers
13 to 18 campers
19 to 25 campers
26 to 37 campers
38 to 50 campers x
51 to 75 campers
76 to 100 campers
101 to 125 campers
126 to 150 campers
151 to 175 campers
176 to 200 campers
201 to 300 campers
301 to 350 campers
351 to 400 campers
401 to 500 campers (We advise limiting camp/village to 500 people or less If you are considering a very large camp/village, please contact placement@burningman.org for support).

Acculturation *This question is required.
Familiarizing newer Burning Man event participants to our culture and community is a vital role of Placed Camps.
How does your camp encourage Participation, teach about the 10 Principles and set expectations about what it means to be a Burner?

Please describe how your camp acculturates its members and the greater community.

Ok, your turn for some verbosity. Thanks RMB for the words for the "Interactivity" question.

NevadaGeo
Old 03-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
BeadZ' vebosity [for what it is worth]¿ Primary day time, acculturation for first time burners, education based (it has been), found art , recycling into art (last two are my specialties). Acculturate with bestowing playa names on Virgins. ( another one of my specialties ).
Old 03-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #59
Usually lost

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
Same story as Ramblin Man for me. Really frustrating!
Old 03-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Mutant car name & Camp app

Rex ('Crash', although I guess that would be a good name for me as well) and I are here in North Carolina with Tanya ('Bee Keeper') and Billie ('Punky'). Came up with a few more names for mutant vehicle. Hope a few of you enjoy, we sure did...

-Vag-en-nah (sp?) (name inspired by Michel story

-Volcanic Vag-en-nah

-Vintage Vag-en-nah (50+ yr old) (inspired by Gigi, Bee Keeper and Punky)

Also for camp application, Bee Keeper is a yoga teacher and would love to do as many dusty classes as we want for our camp. So you can put an [X] by that if you wish...

And please [X] GAMES as we are bringing 2 new ones. One is a new take on an old dog (potato sack races, wait for it and 10 Principle Trivia for Burgins in exchange for FireBall shots as they seem to generally enjoy that... if they answer wrong, they gift us a song, dance, or joke.

As for more acCULTturation, I remember lots of great verbiage from Chief Grump. Like we take in stray burners/burgins. We educate and peer pressure them to follow principles in order not to tarnish our stellar reputation with the playa police.

<3 Gigi
Closed Thread