Old 08-18-2016, 12:34 AM   #169
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
2016 Black Rock City

Here's the 2016 layout in case we can't find it when we want. There'll be one in the Whowhatwhywherefor book we get at the gate too but we loose that before we get to camp usually. Looks like we'll be about the type of street corner layout as last year, with Bam's art work and Ron's bar in the corner, canopy next to it. Unless we aren't, the Placement Gods don't even know until it happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRC2016.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	269353  

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #170
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Zep,
We do plan to use our generator during the day from time to time for AC and to keep our house batteries from dying off. Its exhaust pipe is on the driver's side of the motorhome.
ObiWan (Jim)

Old 08-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #171
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer View Post
I just wanted to say 'hello' to everyone that's going, and 'thanks' for the tips that folks have given in this thread.

I'm a 1st-time burner with an old mostly-original Argosy, who's been tempted into going by an old friend that's been there once-before. We're joining (and helping out) at one of the existing theme camps way up in the presumably-noisy 6:30 & Arno region, so I expect that I'm not going to get much sleep during the event.

I'm hurriedly trying to finish off some deferred-maintenance on the Argosy, and trying to get all prepared, and was wondering if anyone had any other tips that might help.

In particular ... with the huge front window on the Argosy, should I be trying to tape-up some reflective-film on the windows?

Howdy, and thanks!

Elmer,
I will be bringing a big roll of reflective film. I used it last year - taped it on the outside using blue painter's masking tape - and it worked great. Will have some to share if you need it. Look for the black Interstate.
ObiWan (Jim)
Old 08-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeurin View Post
Zep,
We do plan to use our generator during the day from time to time for AC and to keep our house batteries from dying off. Its exhaust pipe is on the driver's side of the motorhome.
ObiWan (Jim)
No problem. We will park you accordingly.
Dr Quark
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Attention, Burners:

I just saw a GPS map of BRC and it appears that 12:00 is oriented approximately bearing 060 ((that's about 2:00 for you civilians). That means that our normal parking orientation, eg, pointed basically at the ring road, will be bad for the dust storms.

So all you early arrival people, don't be putting down permanent stakes until I get there, probably around 10 AM on Friday. We are going to have to do some serious adjustments to make the camp a happy place when the wind comes up.

Dr Quark
Old 08-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #174
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
the VVV is Finished!

Final testing took place today; we discovered that it needed a 6000w generator to power the fogger, thank goodness one was found and it fit; the cone tarp fits pretty well; all that remains are the lights, of which we have about 3000 which we will do on site with a lot of help!

We arrive on the 26 late, or maybe the 27 early - depends on how fast we can go dragging this thing down the highways.

Looking forward to meeting old friends and making new ones :-)

Bob & Michel

PS attached is a pic of the of the fog test :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	269414  
Old 08-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #175
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Zep,
ObiWan (Jim)
No worries. Most of us use our generators at some point during the day and with all the other playa noise it's really not a big deal.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #176
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Attention, Burners:

I just saw a GPS map of BRC and it appears that 12:00 is oriented approximately bearing 060 ((that's about 2:00 for you civilians). That means that our normal parking orientation, eg, pointed basically at the ring road, will be bad for the dust storms.

So all you early arrival people, don't be putting down permanent stakes until I get there, probably around 10 AM on Friday. We are going to have to do some serious adjustments to make the camp a happy place when the wind comes up.

Dr Quark
Some of us will arrive Thursday so let us know your thoughts about the layout. We will need to get going on the set up. Orient toward the numbered or lettered streets? And we will need to use the corner for the bar area regardless.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #177
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
Ventura , California
Quote:
Elmer,
I will be bringing a big roll of reflective film. I used it last year - taped it on the outside using blue painter's masking tape - and it worked great. Will have some to share if you need it. Look for the black Interstate.
ObiWan (Jim)
Thank you!

I'm trying to keep up the whole self-reliant ethos, and have just ordered some Reflectix to attempt to create the screens myself ... but I may be knocking on your door in a week or so with a sheepish look on my face if I mess things up.

I have nobody local to help, so I'm trying to figure things out from online resources.

I've just been trying to replace a broken fluorescent fixture, and made the silly mistake of leaving the AC power connected ... which blew a fuse, and seems to have made my 40-year-old power converter unstable (i.e. 1/2 the time that I plug it in, there's a 60Hz flicker on my new LED bulbs).

Replacing the old Power Converter is something that's been on my to-do list for a few years, but now it's jumped to my "top priority".

I guess that the sheer "unknowns" are seeming a bit overwhelming in the last week of run up to pulling out of the driveway.

I'm sure that you've all been through this before, and can share a good laugh at the potential over-preparation!
Old 08-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #178
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
... Orient toward the numbered or lettered streets? And we will need to use the corner for the bar area regardless.
Wind is generally out of the SSW (bearing about 210 degrees). If BRC is rotated as much as I think it is this year, then parking parallel to the lettered streets would be slightly better than parallel to the numbered streets.

In any event, the corner should be set up like it always is, eg, keeping it open for at least 60' along both the numbered and lettered street that forms the corner. Bam, you usually park parallel to the numbered street and immediately adjacent to the open space, which is fine.

Here are the general guidelines:
1. Keep the corner open for a radius of about 60'
2. Allow for spaces at the edge of the open area for Bam, ChollaBill, the post card tent, and the art car.
3. Arrange all other parking so that (a) everyone can be pumped, (b) late arrivals can easily access remaining spaces, (c) early departures can get out without having to move someone, (d) maintain a smaller open space in the interior as the "community center," and (e) park reasonably close together for wind protection and to allow us to give up space to random guests if we don't fill it.

Things should work out if we mass along the two streets that form the corner. Just don't randomly park along the back street or the interior edge.

Name:	BM 2016 layout 2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	269431
Old 08-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #179
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Yep. Same as always. Thursday posse will set up the corner and interior space and you can wrangle all the aluminum.

Gina...when are you arriving and how much space do you need for your art? Is the peace sign coming this year? Anything else large?

Old 08-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #180
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer View Post
Thank you!

I guess that the sheer "unknowns" are seeming a bit overwhelming in the last week of run up to pulling out of the driveway.

I'm sure that you've all been through this before, and can share a good laugh at the potential over-preparation!
You'll be just fine. One of the wonderful things about Burning Man is that it is a community of great people. If you forgot something or need something, there will be someone there to help.

One thing to know for sure is that you will get dusty. No matter what you do and how much you prepare. The weather is unpredictable but you can count on dust storms. It gets in everything. Doesn't damage anything. But it's there. And removable. Mostly. 😎
Old 08-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #181

2007 28' International CCD
Mt Plesant , South Carolina
Looks like our name dropped from the list although we are looking forward to joining!

Britton9d // 2 //28' // (*Britton and Jocelyn)
Old 08-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Expert talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxotxx View Post
Hey all, it looks like we and our little Bambi are going to be camping with a friend of mine at opulent Temple, but I would love to stop by and see you guys and introduce myself to all that I don't know. Where will you guys be camping exactly?

P.s. for the last post it seemed you might be looking for people who have the ability to give interesting talks. I don't know if this at all would be of any interest, but my significant other is it atourney and is considered the the US expert on human trafficking and slavery, not the most upbeat subject, but one of great importance and quite interesting.
Hi xxotic, That woud be a most informative talk. Come by at least by Wed and see where we can have them participate. Last night at the International Footprinters meeting in Gardnerville we had a riveting talk by another expert " We have an outstanding
speaker lined up for August and September.
John Vanek will be conducting a two part
presentation this month and in September.
He will discuss human trafficking and modern slavery. John
is a retired Lieutenant from the San Jose, California Police
Department and is a recognized authority on the subject of
human trafficking. He recently published a book on the topic
entitled “The Essential Abolitionist."

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote