Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #127
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Fullerton , California
Looking good. I cant wait to see it in person!!

QUOTE=RMB;1821449]Attention all Va-ge-nah afficcionados!

New... Progress to report... All the skeletal frame work is welded but for two curving pieces that will attach on the sides to make the VVV actually round rather than rectangular. More natural... organic actually! The concept remains but the reality of construction has required some changes none of which will affect the final result I hope. In fact, it may be better,.

Adding a curve will cut the number of seats down to about 8 not counting the driver and pilot.

Those will get welded on Monday.

We need at least 16 cushions so please scrounge for us or for your derriere as you cruise the playa.

A big thank you to the camp members who have generously contributed time and resources so far.If you want to have a piece of the VVV, more lights - spots, floods, or outdoor light cord are all welcome. . If anyone wants to bring a gallonl on or so of bubble or fogger fluid,please let me know.

Ideas for the engine deck use are also welcome.

The tower you see is only at half height (13').It telescopes up another 5 ft if needed! We had to make it that way to get onto the ferries up here and under the overpasses..

The steel will be primed and covered with polywood for the seats and a deck over the engine compartment ( about 5 x 6') suitable for....?

More to come soon[/QUOTE]

Old 07-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #128
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Fullerton , California
I know it gets pretty cold at night. Can we put my propane fire pit on the deck or seating area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrid3r View Post
Looking good. I cant wait to see it in person!!

QUOTE=RMB;1821449]Attention all Va-ge-nah afficcionados!

New... Progress to report... All the skeletal frame work is welded but for two curving pieces that will attach on the sides to make the VVV actually round rather than rectangular. More natural... organic actually! The concept remains but the reality of construction has required some changes none of which will affect the final result I hope. In fact, it may be better,.

Adding a curve will cut the number of seats down to about 8 not counting the driver and pilot.

Those will get welded on Monday.

We need at least 16 cushions so please scrounge for us or for your derriere as you cruise the playa.

A big thank you to the camp members who have generously contributed time and resources so far.If you want to have a piece of the VVV, more lights - spots, floods, or outdoor light cord are all welcome. . If anyone wants to bring a gallonl on or so of bubble or fogger fluid,please let me know.

Ideas for the engine deck use are also welcome.

The tower you see is only at half height (13').It telescopes up another 5 ft if needed! We had to make it that way to get onto the ferries up here and under the overpasses..

The steel will be primed and covered with polywood for the seats and a deck over the engine compartment ( about 5 x 6') suitable for....?

More to come soon
[/QUOTE]

Old 07-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #129
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Y'a gotta bring this thing by Elliot's Bicycle Service in the 4:30 Plaza. Elliot is a big time Kinetic Sculpture Racer machine fabricator. Oh yeah...bring yer broken bikes, too. Open daily noon to 6 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #130
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
About the "camp" fire on the engine deck - Great idea!

The Burning Man ideal hides a huge bureaucracy... we had a 15 page +/- form to fill in in applying for a DMV permit. Even at that, we only received conditional acceptance - Inspections are forthcoming!

In our application, we left the "Fire effects" sections blank not contemplating any... So, when we arrive and get inspected by the Hotties at DMV I will ask if we can have a fire on the engine deck - It will be their decision.

See you there!
Old 07-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #131
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Fullerton , California
Wow 15 pages!! Did i tell yall how greatful i'm to find such an awesome camp?? Thank you so much taking me in. Cant wait to see everyone in the playa. So excited!! Also i'm planning to have a game area... ring toss, beer pong, giant jenga, chess, checker, pie face...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
About the "camp" fire on the engine deck - Great idea!

The Burning Man ideal hides a huge bureaucracy... we had a 15 page +/- form to fill in in applying for a DMV permit. Even at that, we only received conditional acceptance - Inspections are forthcoming!

In our application, we left the "Fire effects" sections blank not contemplating any... So, when we arrive and get inspected by the Hotties at DMV I will ask if we can have a fire on the engine deck - It will be their decision.

See you there!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrid3r View Post
Wow 15 pages!! Did i tell yall how greatful i'm to find such an awesome camp?? Thank you so much taking me in. Cant wait to see everyone in the playa. So excited!! Also i'm planning to have a game area... ring toss, beer pong, giant jenga, chess, checker, pie face...
Remind me who you are when you get there. I will set aside some open space for your games next to your Airstream. You'll probably wind up being one of the units that makes a border around our bar/art car/post cards/games area.

Dr Quark
Old 07-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #133
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Dr. Quark// 1 // 23' //* Zep
Archie // 2 // 20' //* RGColeman
Bam // 1 // 19' // (aka *Laurel) Adjacent to bar area
Tranquilo//1//20'// Adjacent to bar area
NevadaGeo // 2 // 28' (*Perry)
Gnewel // 4 // 25'
RMB // 2 // 23' // (*Michel and Bob) Adjacent to art car
RMB// 2 more with car (* Jody and Jean)
Gigi // 3 // 27' // Gigi, Crash & BeeKeeper (*Jina, Rex & Tanya) - Adjacent to 2 tent campers w/ rental truck Punky & Shep (*Billie & Frank)
Mtrid3r // 1 // 19' // Adjacent to bar area
JMRCohen // ? // 19'
Funkill // ? // 27'
Cosmic//2//25'
Obi Wan//3//25'//Obi Wan, Jilly Bean, Shroom Yoda (in a small yurt adjacent to our van)

I will be working on the Black Rock Disc Golf Club course build at around 2:15 & G, so will have an early entry pass. My Black Rock Ranger handle is Disc Daddy.

Obi Wan
Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 PM   #134
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Redwood City , California
Cosmic/2/25. Our default world names are Ray and Carrie. Or cosmic and spitfire. We will be arriving early either Friday night or Saturday morning for Ranger mentoring session.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:44 AM   #135
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Fullerton , California
Ok

QUOTE=Zeppelinium;1823069]Remind me who you are when you get there. I will set aside some open space for your games next to your Airstream. You'll probably wind up being one of the units that makes a border around our bar/art car/post cards/games area.

Dr Quark[/QUOTE]
Old 07-23-2016, 12:57 AM   #136
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Some Earth Harp

Time for some Earth Harp. Hope this comes back to the playa again:

NevadaGeo
Old 07-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
Shade structure fit cheek is complete. I can't get the final 3 legs in by myself but I'm feeling pretty good about it. Only concern is that the tarps aren't taunt. I can probably wrap the ball-bungies a time or two to pull it tighter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	267579  
Old 07-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #138
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Redwood City , California
I have something similar. On one side I substitute a long piece of rope for the bungee. Long enough to go loop all the way to the other side under the tarp and I do a truckers knot to sinch it up tight. This helps by keep the tarp tighter and providing a series of supports for the tarp to sit on. I use the cheap colorful stuff from Home Depot.

This year I may replace the heavy steel conduit with some salvaged aluminum. Just to lighten the load.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #139
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Watch out for those aluminum poles with 60+ gusts!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #140
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
The tarp should be very taught or it will billow and flap, maybe rip loose and/or drive you crazy!