Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #21

1961 16' Bambi
Hollywood , California
hi, would like to join the thread as a 1961 Bambi owner & first time Burner
cheetahgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Welcome Cheeta, come on in, sit a spell, make a postcard for home with us, join our sillyness. Be warned we are totally reserved and uptiteeeee with proper formal attire tea times and NOT.
I'm the chief grump, I usually do the formology and fill out the application forms and submit said application forms within the official cut off date to submit said application forms to the holey Placement Gods of Theme Camp Placement at That Thing in The Desert and we all pray the Placement Gods accept our application to be an official accepted Placed Theme Camp so we know we have a Reserved Placement Address to play before we leave home, otherwise in such case we have to get someone in early to squat enough playa big enough for the camp to camp in which the Placers do not like and they take down our caution tape once and then they come back and take away our chairs and barrels and barriers and then they come back and give us great voiciferous lashing for squatting said playa. In perfect British. So read through our old threads and applications and help me come up with enough nonsense and verbosity again to obfuscate and bamboozle us into being a Placed Theme Camp again this year! Yeayyy

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:10 AM   #23

1961 16' Bambi
Hollywood , California
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Cheetahgrrl
cheetahgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #24
The Hamilton Express

1971 27' Overlander
Chicago , Illinois
Hola fellow burners! I went to Burning Man back in 2001 when there were around 30K burners in Black Rock City. I am interested in going again this year. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Glad to be here!

Follow the remodel journey: https://hamexpress.blogspot.com/
adamfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfried View Post
Hola fellow burners! I went to Burning Man back in 2001 when there were around 30K burners in Black Rock City. I am interested in going again this year. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Glad to be here!
Unfortunately, be forwarned. After two years of 40% virgins each year the original Burning Man ethos you know has been very diluted. BM isn't your grandfather's Burning Man any more. But it is still the best event you can find on this earth.

NevadaGeo
Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
66,000 people partying with lots of drugs and booze, it becomes the third largest city in Nevada with only ticket sales to support the emergency services.
NevadaGeo, I read this as the emergency services get their funding solely from ticket sales, not that ticket sales fund only such services.

Because ticket sales are spread between art, portapotties, building the city and emergency services, the emergency services rely on volunteers to fill most of their positions. The money they get goes to consumables like IV bags and burn bandages.

I'd like to put a plug in for volunteering at Burning Man. If you like the feel of the place and you want to get more deeply involved, there's no better way than by volunteering. Everyone who goes is a participant, part of the party and the spectacle. But the volunteers get a deeper look.

Also, if you are dedicated (and sober) enough to volunteer a certain number of shifts, you can get yourself out of that abyss that is the annual ticket lottery. Working a few shifts can guarantee you a reduced price staff ticket - no lottery AND a price cut. Working more shifts can earn you a staff credential - free access and, of course, no ticket lottery. It changes the nature of the event to have to show up for shifts, but some of us wouldn't want to go to Burning Man any other way.

If this sounds intriguing, follow the links on the Burning Man website and fill out a volunteer survey. Most jobs that will earn you staff tickets require that you attend one or two years before volunteering, but it's never too early to learn about the opportunities. Then you can keep your eyes open and see what the jobs look like in real life.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahgrrl View Post
hi, would like to join the thread as a 1961 Bambi owner & first time Burner
Welcome, cheetahgrrl!

There is some stuff in this thread about cleaning up the playa after the burn.

If your question on the 2014 thread was about cleaning up your trailer, there are pointers for that as well:

Seal around all windows with painters tape. This keeps some of the dust out and protects those hard to clean areas.

Dilute vinegar and/or microfiber cloths do a good job on getting the dust off of smooth surfaces.

Adding vinegar to the rinse water, or doing a pre-wash vinegar rinse can help dislodge the alkali dust from clothing and washable trailer fabrics. Often just machine washing as usual will do the trick. Adding acidic vinegar to the soapy wash water, which is basic, just neutralizes both and reduces the effectiveness of each.

Keeping your feet covered helps prevent cracking from exposure to the alkali dust. If you do find foot cracks, soak feet in water with vinegar added. Then coat skin with bag balm (available in drugstores in a green box) and wear socks to bed. Result: happy, smooth feet!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
So who's interested in coming back this year?

NevadaGeo
Old 01-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #29
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Alkali eyes

NevadaGeo, any tips on dusty sensitive eyes, other than goggles of course?

Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I'd look at all the pictures in the ether, goggles seem to do for most. The dust isn't that serious I don't think.

NevadaGeo
Old 02-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #31
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
we dont need no stinking goggles
Old 02-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Rehoboth beach , Delaware
We are thinking of going to burning man this year. If we buy our tickets then we just show up with our airstream at your camp?
glennb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
There's a bit more involved in going to Burning Man than just showing up, and this thread is a great place to start.

One of the driving principles of Burning Man is that it is not a spectator event. Everyone is part of the show, part of everyone else's experience. That's what makes it so mind blowing and rich. That also takes preparation.

A "placed" theme camp at Burning Man has the privilege of having a guaranteed spot of territory. With this comes responsibilities of providing participation with the surrounding community, cleaning up afterward and working together as part of the camp community during the week.

All of this takes planning and preparation. The more involved all the campers are in that planning and prep, the better the week goes for everyone and the better the camp is positioned to get placement the following year.

So get your ticket, participate in the preparation planning for the Airstreameri, and then show up, park your rig and have a great time.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Our theme camp needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennb View Post
We are thinking of going to burning man this year. If we buy our tickets then we just show up with our airstream at your camp?
Wondeful! Welcome Glennb! So far, I believe RMB and Bob are bringing a Canadian art piece that will be blessed by the Arteriey and placed on playa, and blessed by the fire gods to be burned on playa, a very artful task to get through all that formology. (oops, lets say IT WILL). ChollaBill and Anne will be bringing The Best Playa Post Card booth (with help by Pink and everyone), the booth usually is in our community tent carport. Bam and Tranquilo usually spend hours MOOPing our area before we get there, and set up a most fun corner of placards and signs and Muffy and Buffy and neat surfBar. We usually have a Wednesday evening of scientific talks and potluck dinner at 6ish, if our scientists and Gynecologists and botanists are sober enough to talk. I sorta wasn't forceful with my talk last year, maybe another year I'll expound with more arm waving multisyllabic mindnubming desertation on dustydirt and GreatBasin geology.
What We don't have, and we need is a Mutant Vehicle. Some of our campmates have difficulty getting trashed at the trash fence cause we cant get there. A Mutant Vehicle would be nice. Just make one, get it approved by the DMV and licensed. Mutant Vehicles | Burning Man although I volunteer at the DMV much of the event, I don't have much pull on what's accepted. The word "Art Car" is discouraged because the vehicle must be mutated to not be recognizable as a particular vehicle https://www.fest300.com/magazine/pho...t-car-yearbook Pictures of the week: The Mutant Vehicles Of Burning Man, by Sidney Erthal and Scott London | Music | The Guardian We all would like a ride to get trashed, or a Thursday morning tribute at the Temple, or a group do to help with the after bike ride party on Friday. And Thanks!

It must be easy, even girls can do it: https://www.fest300.com/magazine/thi...st-won-an-emmy

NevadaGeo
Old 02-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #35

Bend , Oregon
Burning Man 2015

In the event we get Burning Man tickets tomorrow, we would like to join the "Airstreameri" group attending the festival August 31st. This will be our first "Burn" and we are so grateful that there is a group of Airstreamers attending the event. Thank you! Mark and Kim E. (from Oregon)
Kim Eberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Tomorrow registration opens. Ticket sales aren't until the 18th at noon, pacific time.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:44 AM   #37
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Welcome Mark and Kim! Bring stamps for the postcard table please!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:08 AM   #38
OJs Argosy

1975 Argosy 22
DeLand , Florida
This is amazing! So my questions are how do we go about joining the group? We can show up early for the cleaning, we will do whatever needs to be done to join this awesome looking event. Is this a lottery selection for tickets if purchased individually? We may not be done with the Argosy renovation but in that case fear not we have a 1965 13' Serro Scotty ready to go the distance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	232165  
OJs Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Here's a link for the Burning Man Preparation page. Lots of good information for first time burners.

There's also the eplaya forum. Every question about Burning Man has been asked and answered.

Preparing for the trip is half the fun!
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:37 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Don't forget to register to buy tix. Registration closes this weekend. General sale is next weds. Good luck to everyone getting tix
RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote