Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Burning Man 2014! Planning thread...

Well Happy New Year Burners and Birgins!

Yes, at the request of our fearless Playa Paper Pusher Perry, it's that time again to start a planning thread for this year's Burn.

Dates are August 24 - September 1, 2014.

This is a loosely organized group of Airstreamers who gather in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada every year to participate in the Burning Man Festival. We are not debating the merits of Burning Man here. This thread is for those who are planning to attend this year and would like to participate in planning our theme camp.

Burning Man is not for everyone. If you have not attended before, please go to burningman.com and read everything you can about it, especially the First Timer's Guide and all the preparation info. It's a wild and crazy event in often rough weather conditions and is boondocking only.

There is no fee to be part of our camp but it is a community and participation is a must. Everyone is required to purchase their own tickets to the event (they are not on sale yet but ticket sale info will be announced soon).

You can sign up for the Jack Rabbit Speaks (JRS) Newsletter on the Burning Man site which will keep you updated on all the ticket/event/playa info.

Let the planning begin!
Looking forward to seeing all of your dusty faces.

Cheers.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #2

1979 31' Excella 500
garberville , California
cool I have been to Burningman many times in my truck..tent...and what not...now finally I have a functional 1979 31" Airstream hope to have it ship shape to pull to Burningman this year...if I can get a ticket.. look forward hearing about the camp

Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrews View Post
cool I have been to Burningman many times in my truck..tent...and what not...now finally I have a functional 1979 31" Airstream hope to have it ship shape to pull to Burningman this year...if I can get a ticket.. look forward hearing about the camp
Yeay a new victi....er Welcome! Welcome!, come on down, the lack of water is fine! The rumors of our daily flag ritual and morning revielle and mandatory beret's are highly overrated; unless you bring it.
No no no no yes, this event is not for everyone, attendance is not recommended unless you wanta have the most fun this side of the DiscWorld and have a burning need to contribute to the plan. Warning!! There will be dust, and there will be dust, and there will be dust. And if you didn't know, there will be dust. There will be a test later on what the dust constitutes of, after my mandatory annual arm waving geotype talk on Dust during our Wednesday Evening Dusty talks.
Or you can skip the whole thing and take the dust test now, 10 question quiz, 80% required to pass, 1 hour C.E.U from the BRC Dust University. Extra points for submitting questions for the Dust exam.

Tickets: I've seen a bit of long armed reference to possible another designated tickets to theme camp core people deal similar to 2013 and 2012.
Sooo, carry on
As you were

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Ooh, Nevada Geo, just the geologist I wanted to ask...

Could a person make blackboard chalk out of playa? Usually the home made chalk is just plaster of paris with food coloring. But we want a board that won't moop colored powder. Would a 50/50 mix of playa and plaster of paris hold together?

We'll be down the road from you again, camping with Ranger Outpost Berlin. I hope you end up in the 3:00 neighborhood again. Looking forward to another great burn!

NorCal Spring Rally, Casini Ranch, April 18-20
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Hmmm, hard playa mud... I suspect it would need some plaster to hold it together. Sounds like a good research project. Particles should be small enough not to leave much of a scratch. We'll have to make some for our artists to use on the street decorations. Can't wait to see what they come up with this year!! (was this a plant question) (no, plants won't grow in playa dust. Tried that.)

NevadaGeo
Old 01-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Good new year's greetings to all you Burners and wannabee Burners. Congratulations to all for passing the MOOP inspection last year (and years past). Here's to another great burn in 2014 and high hopes for 3:00 placement!

Dr. Quark
Airstreameri Parking Nazi
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
I've got a group of three or four RVs (not all Airstreams) who want to go this year with our own theme camp. How hard is it to get tickets nowadays? I haven't been for a decade.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomlasec View Post
I've got a group of three or four RVs (not all Airstreams) who want to go this year with our own theme camp. How hard is it to get tickets nowadays? I haven't been for a decade.
The population limit last year was increased by BLM from about 55K to 65K. I think you still have to get your bid in early, regardless. If you want to be a recognized theme camp with a reserved spot, there are many hurdles to get over and as a new camp you may not get preferred/guaranteed/early tickets the first year. I've only been attending for 8 years, but even in that time a lot of things have changed. The one thing that seems the same is that once you're through the gate, the community is as wonderful as ever and the art is more eye-popping each year.

Dr. Quark
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
It is not necessary to be part of a "Theme Camp" to go to Burning Man. There are plenty of open camping areas for people who just want to camp by themselves or with a few friends.

Theme Camps are just that. A group of like minded people who have an idea/service/info/entertainment or theme that they want to share with the community. Theme Camps must "apply" with reams of paperwork to get "placed" by the powers that be. And then have something unique to offer the community at large.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Burning Man as a whole seems to be eager to encourage participation, since that is what makes Burning Man the wonderful place that it is. They set aside an unspecified number of tickets to be offered for sale to people who participate, or at a reduced or free price for those who volunteer with some of the departments. The rest of the general participants register for and then participate in a lottery. Those who miss out in the lottery have the option to buy tickets that won't be used by those who did win the lottery.

A theme camp, well thought out, well planned and well executed would be a lot of work. The best theme camps put in a lot of work to look great and draw in a lot of people. But it could also gain you priceless experiences, the gratitude of your Burning Man neighbors, and access to ticket purchases ahead of the general crowds.

In addition to giving you a chance to buy tickets early (or separate from the general ticket lottery), a theme camp can provide you with a few early access passes. Given that Burning Man is actively trying to thin the backup on the highway as tens of thousands of people try to come in all at once, I'm betting that early access passes will be more plentiful. Getting in before the Gate is officially open? Priceless.

NorCal Spring Rally, Casini Ranch, April 18-20
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Last year we were "Airstreameri Geologists, Gynecologists, and Randomologists". Yes, we did have real, live, card carrying, professional geo's and gyno's in our camp who gave a rousing lecture and fun filled Q & A session after our open potluck on Wednesday night. And we had a surprise guest speaker as we seem to do. Hopefully they are on board again this year. We also had a corner bar and well decorated lounge area with a cast of mannequin greeters, a hospital facade, and a large shade structure with all manner of art supplies for making playa postcards to send home. The post cards were a huge hit and we stamped and mailed hundreds of them for creative Burners. There was some talk about an even larger post card area for 2014.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Nine of diamonds? no it was a four of clubs. Not sure what cards Gail and Kelli had. Our botanist had some type of spade, we tried to tell her there wasn't much for digging out there on the playa. We'll have to play a round of road poker some year. You got any two's?

NevadaGeo
Old 01-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Um, yeah Perry, sure.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
OOOOH, Perry, I think you're on to something. Flag ceremony? Berets? Sounds like the beginning of a great idea for a Twisted Wally party to me.
See you all in BRC! (234 days...) Archie