Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #141
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Bradenton , Florida
Hi y'all. Newbie Airstream owner here and really looking forward to first time at Burning Man. (Yep, have my tickets.) I'm reading your various hints and have a couple of questions - I have a 2014 16 Sport and a couple of Honda 2000i generators on order. I have just the one original battery on my trailer - would it be a good idea to add a 2nd? (Understand there's room for another.) Also, how much gas to bring - 5 gallon can? (Realize it depends on how much I'll be running the generator but just wondering what's worked for others.) Thanks!
Irene in Florida
Old 06-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #142
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidTraveler View Post
... a couple of Honda 2000i generators on order. I have just the one original battery on my trailer - would it be a good idea to add a 2nd? ..., how much gas to bring - 5 gallon can? ...
If you run both generators for 6 hours a day, your gas will last maybe 3 days. I don't think you'll run the generators that much unless you run the A/C a lot. I get by on one 2000i and about 3 gallons of gas for the week. Never hurts to bring a little extra. You might need 10 gallons if you plan on being at BM the whole week.

Don't add the battery. I tried it--the only reason* you'd consider it is to eliminate the need for a generator. Even with heavy use, your battery will last two days and you can easily find a socially acceptable couple of hours in that time to recharge. You can never bring enough battery to run a microwave or A/C, so you !always! (IMHO) need a generator.

Our best advice to you is to go camping (boondocking) for a couple of times for a couple of days. You will discover many details that conform to your typical pattern of usage. You can even do it in your driveway, but once you get in the Airstream, make yourself NEVER** go back in the house, or you won't learn anything.

*Some folks who have solar can benefit from an extra battery in order to get through a couple days of bad weather, but they generally eschew using a generator. A generator (2000i) and battery weigh about the same and the generator provides a lot more temporary capability.

** toilet trips excepted.

Zep
Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #143
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Welcome Rweening and Irene! We always have room for new Airstreamers!

In other news we don't have tickets or money but we are still planning to come and postcard should our status change. Looking for 3 tickets cheap!

If you would like to contribute to our camp, bring postcard stamps for US and please a few international postcard stamps. Many cards travel a long ways! Also there are the cards themselves, bring some along with old art calendars for a bit of collageing and customizing your postcard! Bring elmers, glue stick, paint, glitter and last year I even sewed some fringe onto a card. Extra snacks are always welcome in the postcard tent so bring a bit to share. Staffing the postcard tent is fun and it would be great if you want to spend some time in there and give other staff a break. There is no schedule to work, its a loose outfit this is, just help out when you can.

Irene I will check with partner and see how much fuel he brought last year. We ran the Gennie a bit. We also brought the wrong adapter to the generator and so our battery was not getting charged up as it ran. The Man provides cause a campmate had the adapter and loaned it to us and another campmate had a battery charger that he could plug into our gennie when it was on to keep their battery charged.

Sleep, please get plenty of sleep on the nights leading up. I did not and had a awful anxiety attack in the middle of the first night due to the fact I had been driving for 36 hours... so dumb.

Be aware of your garbage, bring a water bottle that you can refill. Don't ziplock everything, instead use your rubbermaid, tupperware that you do not have to throw away.

There is one of those cool water stores in Reno where you can get that great filtered water to go in your tank, have to go during the day (not a 24 hour joint). Totally worth it as the water at the Reno Walmart filtering station tasted like crap and took 7 minutes to fill 1 gallon.

We did the seal a meal thing with the majority of our food and packed it in dry ice. That worked so great. We had pizza, thai food, meatloaf and garlic mashed potatoes... We usually heat our water and stuff in the trailer but this year we are going to cook outside. Seems funner that way!

Hope to see everybody soon!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Greetings to All!!! Please count us in. This is our first Burn and like a kid before Christmas, ... well you guys know! We are looking forward to the 30th, shipping day There will be 2 of us in a 2010 25' FC.

Based on friends (Jeff and Cindy) recomendations we purchased a 2000i and Companion. I've been playing with them trying to figure how much gas they use, and how long we might need to use them.

The next big concern is having enough water.

I am sure as we get closer I will be 'over come' with a whole lot of "what about..." questions.

Thanks and am looking forward to meeting everyone!!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #145
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Bradenton , Florida
Great, thanks for the advice. Keep it coming! I'll try to get enough sleep… :>} It's a long drive from Florida, and will probably be the first time I get "Beatrix" out of the state so this will be quite an adventure all the way around. (I've camped one night in her so far, 2nd one coming up!) I'm bringing a friend who has a busy work schedule so probably won't leave until Friday unless we can swing it earlier. Are most people there for the entire week? My original plan was to get an Airstream this year and go to BM in 2015 but I got caught up in the excitement and accelerated the timetable!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidTraveler View Post
Great, thanks for the advice. Keep it coming! I'll try to get enough sleep… :>} It's a long drive from Florida, and will probably be the first time I get "Beatrix" out of the state so this will be quite an adventure all the way around. (I've camped one night in her so far, 2nd one coming up!) I'm bringing a friend who has a busy work schedule so probably won't leave until Friday unless we can swing it earlier. Are most people there for the entire week? My original plan was to get an Airstream this year and go to BM in 2015 but I got caught up in the excitement and accelerated the timetable!
Welcome Avid !
Most of us come for the week, there's a few that are foolish and look at a company email and have to leave early (two years in a row now, I gotta stop doing that!) Some don't get here till Tuesday or something. We'll be sure to hold your spot if you're coming. Plan on it taking a couple days longer to get to the Black Rock Desert than you plan. I'd say make your friend drive the last from Fernley north so you can catch up on sleep, but that drive is almost the best and worst part. Nevada is a whole day to Fernley.
Your orders are: Bring 5 questions out of the Burning Man survival guide for our wrangler. (Something to do while driving through Winnemmucca) Next, your job is to Go Out There and Discover, and come back and report what you find every day. Or we'll put you on MOOP patrol.
YeaYY it's only a couple of months till we get to come home!

NevadaGeo
Old 06-20-2014, 03:34 AM   #147
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Bradenton , Florida
Got it NevadaGeo. Think I'll try to leave a day earlier and will definitely avoid company e-mail…wasn't really expecting to have service there. Maybe I can nag you to ignore yours as well! Can't wait…though time will fly by as I try to get prepared.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #148
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Arlington , Massachusetts
Alright, truth time. My husband and I are going to Burning Man, we have tickets and Lydia, our 1972 Safari, is almost road worthy and ready for her tattoos. We are bringing our tandem bicycle and body painting supplies. Our son, a fire dancer from Seattle, and his friend may or may not join us at some point. We leave the Boston area early Aug. and hope to be in Winnemucca by Saturday the 23rd. Since this is our first time, and perhaps the only time, (It is a long ways from Boston) we plan to be there from opening to closing. BUT, we probably will not be in the Airstream camp. We are planning to be with friends at Mr. Peepers Closet. We will be painting there for three sessions, (listed in the guide?) including just before the Critical Tits parade, so come on by. That should give us plenty of time to visit the Airstream Camp. We can bring our body paints with us. You have been so helpful and welcoming I wouldn't miss meeting you all. I bought Lydia for the express purpose of traveling to Burning Man, only finding later that such a wonderful Airstream community exists. I love this forum and search is almost daily for information on repairs, travel tips, etc.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #149
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
You will get playa akalai dust in the condenser even if you don't run the a/c. Yes, many people run their a/c during dust storms, and some of the weaker, wussie, unworthy, iconoclastic, antisocial Burners run them all the time.

Zep
My dearest Zep,
Not everyone tolerates extreme heat well. As a coastal person not acclimated to heat, I need a mid day cool down to remain healthy and not pass out. I learned that the hard way my first year. It all depends on you and what you can tolerate and what you like to do. If you enjoy sitting in the shade in a camp chair you may not need it. There is nothing wussie or antisocial about using generators as long as there is consideration for one's neighbors. As with all things Burning Man, to each their own and it's all okay.
Cheers.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #150
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Sorry Pink. No leads on loose tickets. Sure hope you get some. Anyone??
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #151
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I've been told it's time to start listing (which ever way you lean).
Please copy this and add your name and info if you will be attending and camping with us this year. Really looking forward to seeing you all!

1. NevadaGeo, Perry
2. Zep
3. Bam, aka Laurel, 19 footer, there all week
4. Avid Traveler
5. Drew05
6. Tranquilo

Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Please copy this and add your name and info if you will be attending and camping with us this year. Really looking forward to seeing you all!

1. NevadaGeo, Perry
2. Zep, aka Dr Quark, 23 footer, there all week with a guest (Mike)
4. Avid Traveler
5. Drew05
6. Tranquilo
Old 06-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
did i see that right on burningman.com that tickets are $650 each??? for 2 people that is 1300.

i read they (BLM) increased capacity last year from 55K to 65K people.. so if you figure $650 x 65000= $42,250,000 thats 42billion dollars of income.. What do they provide for all that entry money.. provide beer, pot, topless hotties walking around. Heck i can get that in Vegas and a comp room.

did not know it cost so much to spend a week in the desert with no comforts and all the dust you ever care to eat..

Am i missing something.. and yes i have seen a bunch of the videos and it does look like a hoot of a good time but for $1300 plus fuel and food and water dollars i am not sure..
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
Old 06-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post

1. NevadaGeo, Perry
4. Avid Traveler
5. Drew05
6. Tranquilo
7. jdalrymple, Jeff and Cindy, 27'. Arrive Tuesday.

Looking forward to a great year.

JD

Old 06-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
did i see that right on burningman.com that tickets are $650 each??? for 2 people that is 1300.

i read they (BLM) increased capacity last year from 55K to 65K people.. so if you figure $650 x 65000= $42,250,000 thats 42billion dollars of income.. What do they provide for all that entry money.. provide beer, pot, topless hotties walking around. Heck i can get that in Vegas and a comp room.

did not know it cost so much to spend a week in the desert with no comforts and all the dust you ever care to eat..

Am i missing something.. and yes i have seen a bunch of the videos and it does look like a hoot of a good time but for $1300 plus fuel and food and water dollars i am not sure..

If you are looking for an explanation, you won't understand.

Regards,

JD

Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium

1. NevadaGeo, Perry

4. Avid Traveler

5. Drew05; Drew and Carol, 25'. Arrive on Tuesday with JD...

6. Tranquilo

7. jdalrymple, Jeff and Cindy, 27'. Arrive Tuesday.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
It's very helpful if you include arrival times. I need to know how much space to reserve to later arrivals, and to allow space for them to either get into the circle or fit into the perimeter. Thanks.

Zep
Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post

Nope. Tickets were not $650. There was an "early bird" offer at that price before Christmas. Next, if you look at the expenses sheet, BLM takes a large hunk of the ticket price. Then Pershing County sheriff takes another large chunk of the price. Then Wahoe County takes. Then BM grants Honorarium money to several art works in progress. Then BMorg does provide portapotties and has the roads wetted several times. And at the end, BMorg does take some profit.
The object of the event isn't what BMorg provides for you, it's what you provide for the event, what you do to participate, what you do to help create it. If you want an event that "provides", this isn't the event for you.

NevadaGeo
Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I guess looking at only the cost and having to boondoggle or dry camp, may cause one to ask where is the value in buying tix and attending. For us it’s simply the price of admission to a once in a life time and bucket list experience. If you’ve read previous posts and stories about BM, you can see why costs are high, (start with leave no trace on the playa and the after event clean up, and not to mention the trail of trash found off the playa). When a small number of people don’t follow existing rules, then the alternative is additional rules (and costs) or cancellation of activities.

We have been interested since we first heard about BM. And while Jeff and Cindy have been 'guiding' us, we fully recognize that this will be extreme for us and definitely outside our 'comfort' zone. Right now we know that there is a lot of things we don’t know, but that is part of the experience.

I’m not a math or financial whiz, but I believe your estimate is actually closer to $42 million, not billion.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
I guess looking at only the cost and having to boondoggle or dry camp, may cause one to ask where is the value in buying tix and attending. For us it’s simply the price of admission to a once in a life time and bucket list experience. If you’ve read previous posts and stories about BM, you can see why costs are high, (start with leave no trace on the playa and the after event clean up, and not to mention the trail of trash found off the playa). When a small number of people don’t follow existing rules, then the alternative is additional rules (and costs) or cancellation of activities.

We have been interested since we first heard about BM. And while Jeff and Cindy have been 'guiding' us, we fully recognize that this will be extreme for us and definitely outside our 'comfort' zone. Right now we know that there is a lot of things we don’t know, but that is part of the experience.

I’m not a math or financial whiz, but I believe your estimate is actually closer to $42 million, not billion.
right sorry 42 million.. so hearing about the cost of stuff,, ie BLM, sheriff, cleanup, etc.. I under stand it a one of a life time experience.. but you can go every year and a lot do so that might be a stretch.. I hope one day to make that trek and see the sights, smell the smells, taste the dust etc and I do understand it a spiritual event for sure.. guess i need to try and buy ticket real early when we want to go in several years god/universe willing.

too all the ones going... good travels and i look forward to the videos.. would be nice to see a drone view of all streams in playa.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
Closed Thread