Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #113
Fun chiCK

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
JacobMerridy,

We purchased a new 2009 Flying Cloud in May 2010 and took it to Burning Man that same year. And we've taken it back each year since. The Airstream can take it don't worry!

Old 05-27-2014, 01:30 AM   #114

Reno , Nevada
Thank you for the kind words about Gary. I was doing some computer work and happened to stumble across this forum. I am his oldest daughter and a long time burner. It's was great to see him involved with Burning Man. We didn't see much of each other in recent years and I happened to run into him on the playa in 2010, which was funny as he used to give my little brother a lot of grief for going back in the late 90's. Of course I had to run off to center camp to pick up some cell service and text my brother with the news! If you're in the Reno area, his service will be on June 6th. I'm also planning on setting something up in the temple this year. I should have the specifics on times sometime this week.
Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #115
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
No longer receiving alerts?

I use to get a message alert in my air forum app on my IPad but it's vanished, anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? Don't want to miss that much needed message that 2 tickets have become available.Thanks a bunch.
Holly
Old 05-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #116
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Redwood City , California
Airstream virgins

We have attended burning man many times but always via tent camping. This is our first Airstream visit to burning man and anywhere that hot in a trailer. I don't want to deal with generators, how well does the trailer do without AC? How do people manage the thermal state of the trailer best?
Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We camped our first two trailer years without AC in our airstream and even now choose to leave it off most of the time even when we have power.

The trick is to insulate the windows. I tape reflectix (shiny bubble wrap) to the outside of each window using blue or green painters tape. I've also just put the cut pieces inside each window. This is faster and easier but putting it on the outside prevents the glass from getting warm and keeps the trailer a bit cooler. The trick about putting in on the outside is that you have a small time window to put it on. If you drive with it on the outside, you risk having it blow off. If you wait too long after arriving on the playa, the thin film of dust prevents the tape from sticking as well as it might.

There is usually very little wind at night, so we would leave the trailer door open and open a roof vent, then close it all up before we went to sleep. This dropped the internal temp enough to make in comfortable to sleep until about 10 am. Don't ever leave your door open if you're not there, though. Wind can kick up any time and an open door lets in a fair amount of dust.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #118
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I echo Barbie's comments.

I had great success in using gaffer's tape rather than masking or painter's tape which can leave a residue if left on too long in the sun.

I didn't seal or cover the windows - that simply it didnt cross my mind! However I did cover and seal off the fridge, furnace and water heater vents with the reflective plastic again using gaffers tape.

I was never "home" in the day so I had no need for the AC; the nights are nice and cool so again, no need. An open window was all that was needed.

I did bring a generator but for topping off the batteries now and then, it was not needed.

HAve fun!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfringe View Post
We have attended burning man many times but always via tent camping. This is our first Airstream visit to burning man and anywhere that hot in a trailer. I don't want to deal with generators, how well does the trailer do without AC? How do people manage the thermal state of the trailer best?
The aluminum does heat up probably more than your tent. As Barbi says, the reflective stuff on windows helps. I found that a roll of the water heater aluminum bubble wrap stuff on the interior walls every where you can put it helps a whole bunch. (also in the winter camping) If you're hardy, lots make do without air conditioning. Monte has good luck with a little swamp cooler that his solar panels keeps going, and years of engineering with his shade structure. Keep the sun off the sides as much as you can with the ZipDee awnings. Or you make friends with those with air for those few super hot hours.

NevadaGeo
Old 06-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhunter View Post
I use to get a message alert in my air forum app on my IPad but it's vanished, anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? Don't want to miss that much needed message that 2 tickets have become available.Thanks a bunch.
Holly
Holly, did posting again help with the message announce?

NevadaGeo
Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashoeZephyr View Post
Thank you for the kind words about Gary. I was doing some computer work and happened to stumble across this forum. I am his oldest daughter and a long time burner. It's was great to see him involved with Burning Man. We didn't see much of each other in recent years and I happened to run into him on the playa in 2010, which was funny as he used to give my little brother a lot of grief for going back in the late 90's. Of course I had to run off to center camp to pick up some cell service and text my brother with the news! If you're in the Reno area, his service will be on June 6th. I'm also planning on setting something up in the temple this year. I should have the specifics on times sometime this week.
Thanks again.
We will have something for him on the temple too this year. Keep in touch. Gary was NevadaAu in our past forums, but he kept saying he couldn't get on much. '010 was our first year as a theme camp and he was our featured speaker.

NevadaGeo
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #122
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Valrico , Florida
Question Pets at Burning Man

Husband got his dream..two tickets to Burning Man. This will be our first time and we will alter travel plans now to attend. We will be traveling Jul-Nov and our "road family" includes one cat. Know the Burning Man site says no dogs, anyone have any experience taking their feline? She normally travels very well in our 28' Safari, but I'm not sure about the dust factor.

If I need to kennel, anyone have any recommendations in that area that they have used?

Thanks so much
Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Cats are allowed. There was someone in the Airstreameri camp a few years ago who had one. They were in the same situation, going to Burning Man as part of a longer trip. The cat stayed in the trailer 24/7 and was pretty mellow about it.

Not that much dust gets into the trailer, especially if you tape the windows closed. You'll need to make sure that the inside temperature is always safe for a cat, which isn't hard if you cover the windows with something reflective. We have pieces of Reflectix that we've cut for the shape of each window and tape on the outside.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Arlington , Massachusetts
I have read a lot about taping and covering windows to keep heat and dust out. Do you open up the windows at all while a BM? Isn't it sort of dark in the trailer if all the windows are covered in reflective bubble wrap? My old '72 probably doesn't have 100% insulation so I'm wondering if it's better or worse to put bubble wrap over the windows. I was imagining opening everything up at night to get the cool air. PS, can you tell this is my first trip to BM?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedWagon View Post
.. My old '72 probably doesn't have 100% insulation ...
All my 70s models have pretty good insulation. I think yours is better than you think. That being said, the shell gets pretty hot in the noon sun. The foil does make it dark-ish inside, you just have to plan which windows to insulate, eg, the ones on the south side, so you have to wait until you're parked to make a final decision.

One technique is to tape the insulation to the glass so you can open the window. Not all the windows are taped shut. Pick two to open, tape the rest. I usually leave one of the side widows in the back and the window at the sink untaped, plus you have your vents and door.

A word about air conditioning: If you have a generator big enough, you still don't want to run the a/c all the time, just when you button up for the dust storms. Even without an big generator, you can survive a dust storm if you have a small DC powered fan. You MUST have at least a fan or you can't really button up--you need some ventilation because the wind can blow for 2-3 hours on a bad day and you can't stand being closed up that long. A small fan can make it possible to say closed up.

Do you have an awning? If so, start thinking about how you will tie it down--substantial tent pegs and cargo straps can make it possible to leave the awning down during dust storms. The awnings are quite strong and do fine if you control flapping and make sure your tie downs are going to remain in place.

Zep
Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
For "tent pegs" we use 24" rebar with a cross piece welded on 6" from the top. 18" pounded into the playa will hold well enough.

We actually spend very little time in our trailer unless we're sleeping in it. We do food prep on the 3 burner barbecue which we set up outside. There's no point in adding extra heat inside the trailer, so we almost never use the trailer stove.

Some sort of shade structure is very helpful. A shared shade structure helps camp members mingle. Conversations are one of the high points of Burning Man for me.

It's always been my luck to be out on the playa when the white outs strike, so I'm dependent on my bandana and goggles for shelter and my trailer's benefits are moot. IMHO, open playa is the best place to be in a white out. It makes for the best stories. And stories are what make Burning Man epic.

Closed Thread