Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #161
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
1. NevadaGeo, Perry

2. Zep, aka Dr Quark, 23 footer, there all week with a guest (Mike)

3. Bam, aka Laurel, 19 footer, there all week

4. Avid Traveler

5. Drew05; Drew and Carol, 25'. Arrive on Tuesday with JD...

6. Tranquilo

7. jdalrymple, Jeff and Cindy, 27'. Arrive Tuesday.

Who else? Bill and Annie? Mark? Rhonda? Kip? Any luck with tickets Pink? Holly?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Zep, Bam, et al: I'll be towing in from Reno and arriving at BRC as early as feasibly possible on Monday (8/25). So, the exact ETA is a big IF. As per usual, I'll have my teeny tiny DWR (16ft)- Archie
Old 06-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #163
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
1. NevadaGeo, Perry

2. Zep, aka Dr Quark, 23 footer, there all week with a guest (Mike)

3. Bam, aka Laurel, 19 footer, there all week

4. Avid Traveler

5. Drew05; Drew and Carol, 25'. Arrive on Tuesday with JD...

6. Tranquilo

7. jdalrymple, Jeff and Cindy, 27'. Arrive Tuesday.

8. RG Coleman, Archie, 16', arriving sometime Monday.

9. Bill and Annie

Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Some nightly propane cannon wars
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	170test.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	214871   Click image for larger version

Name:	155test.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	214872  

NevadaGeo
Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Carl,

It was a jump of faith for us. Being a newbie, the who process was new to me, and at time not very clear. It seems as if the 'new and improved' version was not without faults. I had the good fortune of being able to use 2 different computers to get in.

I'm not sure if this will be an annual event for us or a one and done. While cost is a concern, time is a bigger one - especially with us both working. There are still a number of trips on our bucket list...

Now if money and time were not an issue...
Old 06-27-2014, 04:30 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Holding Tank Pumping

The Placement Newsletter has announced the following:
You can buy pre-paid holding tank service from United Site Services:
1. The last day to place a service voucher order will be July 25, 2014. All service needs past this date will need to be met by flagging down a driver on site.
2. Any camp of 15 RV’s or more will be set up on a VIP program with a set driver and set block of time for service each day.
3. Each camp set up on a VIP program will receive a Voucher Box that all service vouchers will need to be placed in for each RV requiring service. The number of service vouchers in the box upon service technician arrival will be the number of RV’s serviced that day.
4. Any camp of 5 RV’s or less per day will not be pre-scheduled. Pre-paid Service Vouchers can still be purchased, but a service technician will need to be flagged down on site for service to be completed.
5. All payments on-site are required to be in cash.
I don't see any benefit in purchasing a voucher. Past experience tells me that on day 4 or 5 we'll flag down a vacuum truck and about half of us will want the service. There's no way we'll ever have a requirement to service 5 Airstreams per day, so even with a voucher you won't be able to schedule service.

If you have only one or two persons per Airstream, it's possible to make it through the week without service if you're VERY CAREFUL about using minimal water to flush. If you miscalculate, you can always use the Porta-Potties until you can flag down a truck, so I think the voucher idea is a complication you don't need (unless you plan on arriving without any cash).

Dr Quark
Old 06-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #167
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
^ I agree. Flagging down the pump trucks if you need them hasn't been a problem in the past. I usually try to catch them but some years I haven't and it's been fine.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #168
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
In 2014, through coordination with the BLM, we will be opening the Black
Rock City Gate to participants earlier and closing it later in order to
maximize use of daylight hours, minimize traffic impacts on local roads,
smooth out traffic flow, and create a safer travel situation for
everybody. This is a one-year experiment, and if it goes well, it could
mean we continue it in the future.

*INGRESS*
This year we have approval from BLM to open the Black Rock City Gate for
Burning Man participants at 10am on Sunday, August 24. NO early arrivals
are allowed before that time without an Early Arrival Pass!

*THE EVENT*
The event itself officially starts at 6pm Sunday, August 24, and it's
expected that participants use the earlier arrival time as opportunity
to set up their camp infrastructure during the day. The event officially
ends at 6pm on Monday, September 1, 2014, after which people are
expected to start breaking down their camps, conduct Leave No Trace
efforts, and prepare to depart the city.

*EXODUS*
This year we have authorization from BLM to allow Exodus to extend
through Tuesday, September 2 at noon, allowing for a safe and smooth
egress period. So if the line of cars in Exodus is too long, and your
schedule allows, you may want to wait in your camp. Use the extra time
to rest for the drive, secure your vehicle loads, MOOP your campsite, or
your block. Plan accordingly so that you're out of the city by Tuesday
at noon.

Remember, this is one-year experiment by the BLM and Burning Man to help
ease the traffic backups on entry and Exodus. If everyone works together
and is off the playa by noon Tuesday, we will look at continuing the
extended opening and departure in future years. Help us smooth out the
traffic flow!

https://lists.burningman.com/mailman.../gate-announce

Your guide to Burning Man's Online Policies for use of lists and social media: Burning Man : Internal : Policies
Old 06-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #169
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Thanks Monte.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
*INGRESS*
This year we have approval from BLM to open the Black Rock City Gate for
Burning Man participants at 10am on Sunday, August 24. NO early arrivals
are allowed before that time without an Early Arrival Pass!
This means that Sunday is shot as a camp layout and prep day. It will force camp managers to show up a day earlier, which some may not have planned on. I don't know what problem this solves, but I certainly see a problem it creates.

Zep
Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Hi all! I believe today is the scheduled shipping day of out tix. I know it's still early out west, but I will be checking my email in a few hours!!!

Feels like Christmas in July, and today is Christmas Eve
Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
I don't know what problem this solves, but I certainly see a problem it creates.

Zep
I sympathize with the camp problems this creates for you, Zep, but I can think of several ways it will get people into the city faster. This will benefit those not coming in on early arrival.

1) Starting to process the cars as they arrive during daylight will help diminish the backup onto the highway.

2) It's faster to search cars and untangle Will Call traffic by daylight, so the line will move off the highway sooner.

3) It's easier to get volunteers for earlier shifts. Last year, the second shift after the gates opened was understaffed by 50%, and nearly all of them were newbies who were doing their first shift. By making the second shift a daylight shift, more volunteers will sign up and more cars will get off the highway sooner.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Also, if anyone is A) bummed about how long it takes to get through the gate or B) worried that they won't get a ticket in next years lottery or C) wants a cheaper ticket or D) has seen a lot of the shiny surface of Black Rock City but is ready to see behind the scenes and help make it happen, volunteering at Gate is a great way to help with all of those conditions.

To volunteer, go to the Burning Man web page and fill out a Burner Profile and indicate that you'd be interested in volunteering for Gate (or any of the other areas, but Gate could really, really use some extra, dedicated, reliable people).

Perks include being there when things are happening, helping the city run more smoothly, getting to wear black clothing with cool logos, feeling at home in the Black Hole bar and getting to know a great group of people.

Other perks, if you're willing to work enough shifts and at the right times, include a staff ticket (guaranteed ticket at a reduced price) or a free ticket, . The free ticket means you're willing to turn your "Burning Man" experience into "Working Man" doing 5 6-hour shifts with a few free days to go sightseeing in Black Rock City. It's only worth it if you like the work. But if you're ready to delve deeper into the Burning Man experience, there isn't a downside.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:49 AM   #174
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Bradenton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Sorry Pink. No leads on loose tickets. Sure hope you get some. Anyone??
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Pink, I have one ticket available if that helps. A friend was planning to come with me but just heard that she won't be able to make it.
Irene
Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #175
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Valrico , Florida
Hey, would love to join you guys, we'll be arriving on Tuesday, 28 foot Safari. Looking forward to our first Burning Man. Two adults and one cat who has received permission from the Playa Animal Welfare Lead if I can't find boarding in Reno.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Hey, would love to join you guys, we'll be arriving on Tuesday, 28 foot Safari. Looking forward to our first Burning Man. Two adults and one cat who has received permission from the Playa Animal Welfare Lead if I can't find boarding in Reno.
Most welcome Annie! We'll have lots of mandatory work for you...not! Birgins are required to go out there and discover and come back and report what you have found.

NevadaGeo
Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #177
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Redwood City , California
There are a few places to board animals in Truckee depending on which way your driving. They will all want vaccination docs
Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #178
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I know sometimes you "gotta do what ya gotta do" but the playa is really not the place for animals. Not only is it blistering hot and sometimes freezing cold, extremely dusty and windy, it is also very loud 24/7 and full of unusual things that might scare the critters.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Gitcherplanningcapon

Ok fellow dustyites, lets gitcherplanningcap on, cause Burning Man :: Countdown!

We be listening to BMIR - Burning Man Radio - 94.5 FM on the playa

Lisssting: We need a full on armwaving dusty scientific talk type for our required thing to be participatory with the city. Our regulars have bit the dust. (ew, gross. sorry) You've heard my 5 minutes of dust talk too many times, Gary went all dust on us, our resident guyno's won't be in residence, haven't heard from our botanist....

Our Back up to the dusty talks: we have Best Playa Post Cards, to be mailed from U.S. Post Office Black Rock City, NV 89412 (unless that's changed too) ChollaBill and Anne and Pink and everybody provides rubber stamps and photos and neat things for burners to make post cards, blank post cards to, and we try to gift real live postcard postage for them too as much as we feel like gifting. Bug your postmaster for a few sheets of post card postages. Try not to gift too much tiny moop making card materials like glitter cause that will put our MOOP patrol in a very bad mood and I'll be cut off of Patron rations and you'll get double MOOP patrol duty. We'll try to have a full floor mat in the Community Tent this year, that will help corrale the tiny bits.

NevadaGeo
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #180
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Any one working on the historic photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
We need a description of the layout of your Camp. Please describe the physical aspects with as much detail as possible. Include a description of features like structures, buildings, vehicles, tents, platforms, and the locations of your power sources. Maximum of 400 words.

378 words follow:

The Airstreameri is a self-contained camp of 22 Airstream camping trailers, from the 1950s up to this year’s models. The trailers and tow vehicles are arranged in two semicircles with a welcoming portal on the main street. Our portal is flanked by our highly popular (and public) Burners’ post card art activity and manikin-manned shade structure relaxation bar. Our only “structure” is an open-sided 14x24 tent canopy where the community gathers for meals and the annual “Playa Vicinity Geology and Ecology” lecture. Most of the Airstreams have roll-out awnings and they are parked in a way that allows for mutual shade and wind barrier support between pairs of trailers. This is a great aid for our 4 tent campers, since we provide pre-planned spots for them to nestle in among the Airstreams. The tow vehicles are parked between pairs of Airstreams on the non-awning side, which makes for a very compact camp. Each pair of Airstreams provides its own power from solar or small, quiet generators that are run only during the day. Other features of the camp are two gray water evaporation ponds, a required Moop container at each Airstream, a fire pit/burn barrel, and a physical arrangement that provides easy entry for large service vehicles (fire, water, sewage service). We start with a plan but remain flexible enough to accommodate being placed at a corner (preferred) or in the middle of a block. This flexibility has allowed the Airstreameri to welcome first time Airstream Burners (and other RV Burners as space permits) who obviously need some Acculturation. We are happy to provide! In addition to welcoming these strays into our camp, we encourage other Burners, through our open portal, to see how we use our Airstreams as self-contained boondocking environments throughout the year. The Airstream community is the original American Caravansary—famous for caravans around the world. The most famous is the Cairo to Cape Town journey in 1959, but the Silk Road Caravan, the ultimate trailer trip, followed a path mapped by Marco Polo in the late 13th century. This 403-day trek covered 31,000 miles and wound its way through Singapore, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Portugal, Syria, Thailand, and Russia. Burners are encouraged to stop by and get a taste of our caravan lifestyle.

Dr. Quark, aka Zep
I'd like to see some of the historic photos done up like Zep suggests, is anybody working on them? Months ago PeeWee pm'd me with which ones? and that we'd have to do a search on Throw Back Thursday's to find some, he didn't have time to do it for us. Here's one: Leaving Facebook...

NevadaGeo
Closed Thread