Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #99
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Santa Monica , California
?

What camp is this and where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman View Post
“How we support the 10 principles” might weigh a lot. Following are my thoughts; i.e., total BS:
We welcome and respect the stranger. All strays are included in our gatherings and potluck meals. Participation is valued and members interact and collaborate with neighbor camps. Generous gifting includes the postcard activity and gifts (generous adult beverage giveaways to support dance camp bars; traypass breakfast to neighborhood, etc). We demonstrate decommodification and radical self-reliance with the individualization and playa adaptivity of the branded product that brings us together. We are self contained and in a position to help others and be a resource for individuals with less hardy shelters. Communal Effort and Civic Responsibility 
are supported by our well-attended playa talks. What the hell is “immediacy” anyway? And our self contained trailers mean less impact to the portapotty system, and members are continually harangued to moop and are physically flogged by camp leadership if they Leave A Trace.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Many of my friends attend Burning Man. And we just bought a nice 28' 2003!Airstream. I'm worried about it being damaged.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We've taken our Airstream to Burning Man ever since we bought it 4 years ago. Right after we get back, the inside looks like a sno-globe where dust and clothes and this and that have been tossed at random.

The rest of the year, it looks like a nice camping trailer. (Yes, you could probably find dust in the crannies, but if you enjoyed Burning Man, you won't mind the reminders.) We wipe the walls with microfiber cloth from Costco. We power wash the removable rugs and vacuum the curtains. Our other upholstery is covered (made into beds) while we're there and stays pretty clean. Dilute vinegar water cuts the alkali dust so that it wipes right off.

The dust isn't like sand, more the consistency of talcum powder. The dust storms aren't abrasive to the trailer surface. It's a good idea to use painters tape to seal the outsides of the windows. This helps a lot in keeping the dust out of the trailer.

Some people manage to keep their trailers clean while they are there - a haven of tidy in a dusty world. We choose to spend our time out in that world and not to worry about tracking dust into the trailer. It cleans up fine once we get home.

The only real damage that one might be at risk from is the occasional airborne tent or other insufficiently secured structure or item when the wind really picks up. The miles of road leading to Black Rock City from the paved highway get hellishly potholed but the end of the event. Another good reason to obey the 5 mph speed limit. Other than that, I'm not sure what damage you would be worried about.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #102
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
This will be my 20th consecutive burn, the AS in tow since '98... so far so good!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMerridy View Post
Many of my friends attend Burning Man. And we just bought a nice 28' 2003!Airstream. I'm worried about it being damaged.
Not sure what kind of damage you are imagining, other than it having too much fun. We'll promise not to use your trailer sides for a writing board during my boring scientific talks, or stencil proofing, or hanging posters, or basketball backboard. I'm picking up some nice inch and half diameter tent stake material from work to hold down awnings from blowing over your top. Can't guarantee what the dust devils and whiteouts might send through the air though but I don't know of anyone that's had their trailer damaged by flying tents although tent flying is a major activity. That's part of MOOP pick up patrol too.
As Barbi said, the dust if mitey fine. I did a hydrometer test on some playa dust, after 6 days of settling in water there was still 24% of the dust suspended in water.......oh I've gotta find a new line, everyone's heard that at least 5 years now. Vinegar or a other weak acid really helps to neutralize the alkaline dust. I've had good luck with seltzer water for my feet, haven't tried it on windshield or trailer yet.

NevadaGeo
Old 05-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte B View Post
This will be my 20th consecutive burn, the AS in tow since '98... so far so good!
Hey Happy New Year, Monte!

NevadaGeo
Old 05-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399830735.685901.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	641.8 KB
ID:	211660 my baby and the just purchased Airstream
Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Attachment 211660 my baby and the just purchased Airstream
Cool,, looks like a nice one for sure.. take care of it and it will take care of you'll
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
Old 05-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #107
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Quote:
Attachment 211660 my baby and the just purchased Airstream
The baby looks fine... the AS could use a little playa patina!

Monte
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Monte - we gotta get 2 tickets to go.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Sad news from Reno about Gary

Very sad news from Reno; our main Geologist for the name Airstreameri and Geologists has passed. Just a couple weeks ago he asked me if there were tickets available. We'll be hard pressed to find a knowledgeable and talented speaker like Gary. He was one of those that slapped down their business card at that Geological Society of Nevada dinner meeting years ago when I was casting about for hints on how to do the participation requirement to be a placed theme camp at Burning Man, from that I had the inspiration for the name, Airstreameri (Airstreams, plural) and Geologists ( to do the participatory part, scientific talks, to be a theme camp, we know the airstreamers wouldn't) :::from the GSN:

A good friend of ours and the GSN’s died yesterday afternoon. Gary Fechko passed away Wednesday, May 21st, after a brief fight against brain cancer. He will be sorely missed by all as Gary was loved by a great son and two daughters and his special loving partner Michele. His membership in the GSN began in the late 1960’s and continued until his death.

Gary began his studies in the College of San Mateo from 1959 through 1961. He then transferred to the University of Nevada – Reno, where he continued studying geology at the Mackay School of Mines. He later transferred over to the Ag Department where he received a BSc in Soils Science in the mid 1960’s.

The highlights of his professional career include: managing the Rocky Mountain Geochemical Laboratory during the 1970’s; helping found and run, along with Henry Scales, the very successful Hunter Mining Laboratory in the 1980’s. Gary remained active in the geochemical industry by designing and managing the fire assay portion of Geochemical Services Incorporated (GSI) in the late 1980’s. From there, he designed and constructed the Barringer Laboratory facilities in Reno. In the mid 1990’s, Gary decided to change direction and became a very successful real estate agent. He continued in this profession until his death.

What we all remember about Gary was his happy and upbeat demeanor. His attitude was always positive and he continually looked on the ‘bright side’. No half empty tank ever entered Gary’s mind. These are the memories of Gary that will always be with us.

Memorial services are being planned.

NevadaGeo
Old 05-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Gary's passing

So sorry to hear about Gary's passing. He was my neighbor at 2012 Burning Man and we would spend many an hour under Perry's awning discussing science and medicine--he at that time was being treated for prostate cancer. He was always upbeat and chipper in spite of his ailment. I was surprised to find out from reading Perry's bio of Gary that he was almost my age (74). He sure didn't look it. My best wishes go out to his family and other Burners.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 05-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Sorry to hear also. Keep his spirit alive.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We are sad to hear of Gary's passing.

We have been absent for the last several weeks dealing with my mom's death. She went from a normal, productive life to death from cancer in only 5 weeks.

But, we are looking forward to August and see folks on the playa.

Regards,

JD

Closed Thread