Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Find Yourself?

Today's challenge, can you find your self in this picture? Just a few blocks from home:

NevadaGeo
Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Arlington , Massachusetts
Trailer storage near BM

We live in Massachusetts and Groucho (150 Ford pick up) will be towing "Lydia"(1972 Safari) to Burning Man this year. I figure that even if we really pushed it, and I don't want to do that, it would take a week or more to get out and another to get back. I am now thinking that maybe storing the trailer and truck somewhere near Black Rock City over the winter might not be a bad idea. Living in NE we are unlikely to use it over the winter anyway and storing would give us the option of flying out in the spring and bringing it back or possibly just keeping it stored or use it on the West Coast until BM 2015. I have heard mentioned that there is a small industry servicing RV storage for Burning Man in Reno was wondering if anyone on the list had experience with this. Alternatively, if anyone could recommend a storage option within 200 miles, ideally near a major airport that they would recommend.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Greenbrae , California
I hope I can make it this year
Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedWagon View Post
Alternatively, if anyone could recommend a storage option within 200 miles, ideally near a major airport that they would recommend.
On the Gate/Perimeter/Exodus volunteer list, the traffic and exodus manager says he has a gated lot behind his house and rents spaces for $25/month. He says this is in line with other storage around Gerlach.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2007 22' International CCD
fLUSHING , New York
I kind of like this idea of storing my truck and airstream in Reno or around black rock city. Please if anyone knows of any space for rent let me know. $ 3000 in gas and 100 a month of rental space in ny is getting costly. Thanks
Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
We live in Massachusetts and Groucho (150 Ford pick up) will be towing "Lydia"(1972 Safari) to Burning Man this year. I figure that even if we really pushed it, and I don't want to do that, it would take a week or more to get out and another to get back. I am now thinking that maybe storing the trailer and truck somewhere near Black Rock City over the winter might not be a bad idea. Living in NE we are unlikely to use it over the winter anyway and storing would give us the option of flying out in the spring and bringing it back or possibly just keeping it stored or use it on the West Coast until BM 2015. I have heard mentioned that there is a small industry servicing RV storage for Burning Man in Reno was wondering if anyone on the list had experience with this. Alternatively, if anyone could recommend a storage option within 200 miles, ideally near a major airport that they would recommend.
How long is your rig? I know it would be longer than DaCosta's. (Hey Welcome Home DaCosta!) I might look around in the phone book near the airport, maybe we could find some phone numbers. Gerlach could be a long taxi ride, but they sure need business up there until the Empire Gypsum opens up again. There's storage down here by the Minden-Tahoe airport too, I need to stop by and harass the Minden airport managers just because, anyway.
But anyway, welcome Painted! I want to hear more about your painting, we'll need your input shortly with our application planning hoohaw. With your painting and ChollaBill and Anne's and Pink's Best Playa post cards, we could earn our way up a few streets.

NevadaGeo
Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCosta View Post
I kind of like this idea of storing my truck and airstream in Reno or around black rock city. Please if anyone knows of any space for rent let me know. $ 3000 in gas and 100 a month of rental space in ny is getting costly. Thanks
From the Gate volunteers email list:

"If you are thinking that you want a trailer/rv for just the Black Rock Desert, read on, for a storage option: I have a gated lot behind my house in Gerlach on which I would be happy to keep your trailer/RV. Easy access, right there in Gerlach. Price for storage is $25/month, which is right in line with other storage options near the BRD.

Just want you to know about local storage options. And this goes for the rest of everyone also. Contact me if you want a local storage option, that is easily accessible,and CLOSE.

- Seth"

I don't want to post an email on a public forum, so pm me if you want to contact Seth about this.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
!$@%#%@($((&$^#%$@#$%!!!!. You know what I'm talking about. Z
Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post

I feel your pain.

JD

Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Wait! What?????????
Old 02-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Chief Grump here: Ok dustyites, Feb 20th noon pacific is pre registration for the mass ticket free forall on Feb 26. which you'll have to pre register for on Feb 20. Some where there'll be an almost hidden note that BM is using a "third party ticketing agency" that you'll be redirected to and need an account and pass word and email verification. It might be good idea to have that step done before hand. Sign In | Ticketfly I'm not promoting this game at all, and part of what Zep is ......mildly upset about...... is at the end Ticket Fly tacks on a $21 fee which I never saw announced before. The Man is getting way too commodified.

NevadaGeo
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
It was $28 %$@#*&^@ dollars in my case. Yes, I did cave in, mostly because I was responsible for Archie's ticket. You have to take care of the kids, you know.

Dr Quark
Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
We live in Massachusetts and Groucho (150 Ford pick up) will be towing "Lydia"(1972 Safari) to Burning Man this year. I figure that even if we really pushed it, and I don't want to do that, it would take a week or more to get out and another to get back. I am now thinking that maybe storing the trailer and truck somewhere near Black Rock City over the winter might not be a bad idea. ...
I was thinking about this and realized I LOVE the drive across Nevada on US 50, the "loneliest road in America." I'd recommend storing your rig in Salt Lake. It's a bit more than a day's drive to Black Rock City (you can easily make the drive in one day, but it takes ALL day), but there are some great places to boondock on the way. If you're x-military, you can stop at Fallon to load up. The only down side of coming from the east is you have to go all the way into Reno or Sparks to find a Costco, so your only chance to load up is in Salt Lake.

One other benefit of Salt Lake--585 miles--is it's centrally located to so many great Airstream places (Yellowstone, Zion, the San Rafael Swell, Goblin Valley, Lake Powell, Canyon Lands, Moab, Grand Staircase-Escalante, etc.).

Or keep it at Las Vegas--470 miles (has Costco, as does St George), where there are often cheap air fares. Not a bad drive (but not as interesting, geology-wise), and near Death Valley, the Mojave Preserve, Lake Meade, Zion, Grand Canyon, Mt Whitney, Mono Lake, Bode Ghost Town, and Joshua Tree.

Or Sacramento-230 miles (has Costco), which would include a moderate struggle up over the Donner Pass, ick (highway is in poor shape, but they were working on it last year). You could tour Napa, the coast, Yosemite, Mono Lake, and northern California.

However, one of the best things about starting from Reno is it's only 100 miles and, if you take the back route up to Pyramid Lake, you go right by (you guessed it) Costco. Plus Mono Lake, Tahoe, Yosemite, Mt Whitney, Lassen Volcanic Park, and more are all within reach.

[BTW, for those of you coming from the north who might be heading first into (or out of) Reno, I always stop by the general store in Adin--very impressive. Highway 139 south to Susanville is a nice ride, too.]

Dr Quark
(does not have stock in Costco; rats)
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Or you could make the long route and leave it by the Costco in Green Bay, WI that I did the inspection on all last summer. (That was fun, round tripping from Green Bay to pick up the SilverDragon at home for the burn, then back.) Naw, Reno better bet. That storage in Empire and Gerlach that Barbi knows about sounds like fun but there's that trip out to Gerlach could be annoying carrying a load of stores. Loading up in tiny Gerlach not a good bet. Store the tow vehicle by the airport? Ahhhh, there is that. BM offers camps to rent storage containers that are kept at Gerlach I think and have them delivered on playa with a bunch of coordination....plus kaching kaching kaching. We can also arrange to have water delivered at 2 times kaching at 250 gallon increments.
Holly and Dan already are doing similar storing, I'm not sure if its in Truckee or Sacramento. ( I did get word from them, they plan on coming!) Anybody hear from Pink yet, are they coming?

NevadaGeo
Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Bradenton , Florida
Anyone at Alumaflamingo?

Hi - are any of you Burners at or planning to be at Alumaflamingo this weekend? I'm going to swing by there on Saturday and would love to say hi.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Well, I successfully Pre-Registered. About 25 minutes and countless 'refresh' and retry's. Is this a precursor to when ticket sales open? Is there a limited number of Pre-Registrations, or do they 'over book' so to say? Do they sell out during Individual Sales, or is it just a PIA to get tickets?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
W... Is there a limited number of Pre-Registrations, or do they 'over book' so to say? Do they sell out during Individual Sales, or is it just a PIA to get tickets?...
No, pre-registrations are not limited.

Yes, last year they sold out during individual sales. But this year there are more tickets available. It's possible they will sell out, but the registration process greatly reduces the opportunity for ticket scammers to buy.

It's been a PIA for a couple of years, now. Previously, it just took an hour or so sitting and waiting for your turn.

Zep
Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Are there more tickets available this year? I thought they bumped the cap by a whole lot last year (to get revenue to pay for extra use fees imposed by the counties) with the understanding that it would stay stable for a few years.

If they bump the population again before the volunteer staff has a chance to grow into it, there will be serious shortages at the Gate. Last year was quite the scramble and many Gate crews were half staffed. Other departments are also feeling the pinch.

Long story short - don't complain about delays and lines unless you have volunteered to work a shift or three..or four...or five. The good news is that five shifts on Gate gets you a free ticket for the next year. Burning Man is awesome viewed from the "inside."
Old 02-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
Well, I successfully Pre-Registered. About 25 minutes and countless 'refresh' and retry's. Is this a precursor to when ticket sales open? Is there a limited number of Pre-Registrations, or do they 'over book' so to say? Do they sell out during Individual Sales, or is it just a PIA to get tickets?

Thanks
I was worried it would take me a long time to pre-register after reading your post. It took me a minute, but then again I waited until 8:30 ET to register. I don't know that I'll be so lucky if wait on the 26th, but I may be stuck in meetings where ticket purchase might be difficult. At this point I'm kinda hoping that there are more than enough tickets to go around, or I might be taking multiple "breaks" from my meetings
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Are there more tickets available this year? I thought they bumped the cap by a whole lot last year ...
I thought the cap was bumped after the lottery ticket sale when it was obvious (1) they needed more and (2) BLM approved a higher population. So, yes, the population was higher last year. But I have crap for a memory--I just make stuff up when I need to.

Dr Quark