Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Crossed in the ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfringe View Post
Talks? I have never camped with you folks, and this first year with our airstream my wife still wants to camp at the edge of town so she has her view of the mountains. However I am an Astronomer and make a living at it, if you want a science talk I can talk about the latest results from the Kepler mission on solar systems and exoplanets, or dark energy/matter, or my day in day out job..building telescopes. Or some shmozzing of them all. Give me a heads up if a talk is desired. I am KK6BSO and will be listening to the local amateur repeater while lazing in camp. Ray
Wow! We're usually halfway up the mountains anyway... Normally on 3:00 out somewhere, we had Interceptors looking for us last year.
Oops, you mentioned building telescopes...There goes the next day.
Ya, we need ya!

NevadaGeo
Old 07-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfringe View Post
... I can talk about the latest results from the Kepler mission on solar systems and exoplanets, or dark energy/matter, or my day in day out job..building telescopes. ... Ray
Wow, this is first class. Ray, I want one of these talks each and every day. Let's make Burning Man a two-week science event!

What do you think of the Black Rock Observatory Project?

Zep

Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 AM   #185
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
I'd like to see some of the historic photos done up like Zep suggests, is anybody working on them? Months ago PeeWee pm'd me with which ones? and that we'd have to do a search on Throw Back Thursday's to find some, he didn't have time to do it for us. ....
Archie (RGColeman) and I have talked about this and she sent me some stills from copyrighted postcards and videos from 1963 Narrated by Vincent Price on four of the Around The World caravans (Singapore, India, Afghanistan, Athens to Portugal).

Sadly, building a house is kicking my butt and I haven't had five minutes to prepare anything.

Zep
Old 07-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
And now, another boring announcement from the Placement Gods

Congratulations!!!

It is our pleasure to inform you that Airstreameri and What Not has been officially placed for Burning Man 2014: Caravansary!

Your camp has frontage on 3:00 and your nearest nearest cross street is Isfahan. Your camp will measure approximately 150 by 250. If your dimensions contain a + or - sign, it means you are an odd shape.

It is impossible to give out exact addresses because there are still a number of variables that may occur right up until the day your camp arrives on the Playa. We try to accommodate camps as much as possible, and sometimes that means making changes up until the very end. Don’t worry, because we really do have everyone’s best interests at heart!
When your advance team arrives, they must contact "HepKitten” or “Whatsit" of the Placement Team. f they arrive before Thursday noon, they must ask the Gate staff to radio “HepKitten" or “Whatsit”. If they arrive after noon on Thursday then they must ask a Greeter staff to radio them. We will then show you to your very own spot on the Playa!

Each camper must have both their ticket and a unique Early Arrival Bar code in hand to enter Black Rock City before our event opens to the general public.

If you have any more questions, you can reach us at placement@burningman.com. If you do e-mail us, put your camp name in the subject line so we know who is talking to us.

Good luck with bringing your plans to life, we’re excited to see you out there.

Sincerely,
HepKitten & Whatsit

NevadaGeo
Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
More Placement Announce, #5

In this issue:

Placement is Announced!
1 City Plan is Live
2 EA PASSES
3 Playa Health and Safety
4 REMEMBRANCE PLAQUE
5 Solar Camps

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Hello Fine People,

Early July has arrived and we announced Placement today. Hang tight ART support camps, we are still finalizing your placement, you’ll be hearing from us soon.

I want to give some extra love to the 80+ camps that did not get placement this year.
Not placing camps is a tough decision and we are mindful that the news can be upsetting. There are many reasons why camps do not receive Placement and it typically has to do with how you have described your interactivity within the questionnaire. Please keep this in mind for next year and be sure to tell us in detail all of the events you have planned within your camp and about all of the ways you are planning to interact. If you are a returning camp who did not receive placement this year, maybe your camp size grew and your interactivity did not change. We want to make sure that as your camp size increases, so do your interactivity.

If you received Placement and are not able to come to Burning Man this year, let us know and we’ll offer your spot to someone else.

We try to leave a lot of un-placed camping within Black Rock City to foster the spontaneity that is vital to our temporary city.

Allow me to tip my hat to each one of you for your efforts and contributions. Each of you are why Black Rock City and Burning Man are as inspiring and incredible as they can be.

Cheers to 2014!

- Answergirl

1 The Black Rock City Plan is live:

Burning Man: Preparation : 2013 BRC Plan

2 Early Arrival Passes for 2014 - make changes by August 1.

Early Arrival Passes are ONLY be issued until Saturday pre-event.

The Gate is opening at 10 AM on Sunday in 2014, so we will do our best to hold your reserved spot until Sunday at 10 AM. We expect and want you to arrive by Saturday August 23 to secure your spot and start building your theme camp.

You MUST have an Early Arrival pass to enter Black Rock City before the gates open at 10 AM. If you arrive on Sunday before 10 AM (when the gates open) you need your Early Arrival pass to get in.

The deadline for requesting additional EA passes is AUGUST 1, 2014. No last minute requests will be accepted this year.

When requesting additional EA passes - write to placement@burningman.com with your camp name in the subject line.

The Placement Team does not supple EA passes for Mutant Vehicle Camps, ART support camps or Work Support Camps.

3 PLAYA HEALTH AND SAFETY

Food Permits

Kitchens serving 120+ need a health permit. Remember, Burning Man does not tolerate the sale of anything at the event, including food. We have cultivated a gift economy.
In issue #4 back on June 28th, we gave you the details and deadlines for food permits. The time is NOW to apply for a food permit if you need one - don't delay any longer!
The web link for the Nevada State Division of Health for information and permits is:

Nevada State Health Division

Scroll down on that page to the special flame icon link just for us!

Here is some additional general information on health and safety:

Water

Large quantities of water (250 gallons+) being used for projects that entail full body contact or consumption by people must be "potable" and come from state health department approved water sources.

Water being used for misting systems and ways that do not involve consumption do not need health department clearance. It is wise to make sure that you have "potable" water and the source is reputable!

All public pools, bathing, showers, (or 'Slip-n-Slides') – that would risk full-body contact with contaminated grey water – are prohibited.
Art pieces involving water are allowed, unless they are being used for showering or bathing, in which case they risk being shut down.

Bars and Drinks

If you are providing alcoholic beverages – without fresh juice, and with ice from a health dept -approved sources like our ice sales – no health permit is needed.

Fresh juice is food. If you are giving away freshly-squeezed fruit drinks to 120+you must get a permit.

Ice

Ice is considered food by the health department. Although there should be no permits needed for bars, your ice source must be approved by state health. The easiest way to comply is to purchase your ice from commercial sources in the surrounding towns as you enter our city, or from us at the event. (Monies from our ice sales go directly back to the town of Gerlach as a gift.)

More info.

Check out our page on health related issues. There are all kinds of interesting topics covered, from pregnancy to rebar safety, first-aid kits, fuel storage, etc.

Burning Man: Preparation - HEALTH AND SAFETY

4 REMEMBRANCE PLAQUE OF NAMES: submit by July 20th

Remembrance Plaque for Burners Lost 2013-2014

Since 1996, an anonymous Burner has created a plaque to commemorate members of our community who have passed away the previous year. This tradition continues to honor those people who have affected our Burning experiences and who participated in creating Burning Man. This is a call out to you, our community, to please let us know of any Burners lost in the last year whose names you feel should be added to this year's Remembrance Plaque.

Please send only their name, exactly as you would like to see it appear, to this address:

remembrance@burningman.com

(**please DO NOT HIT REPLY to this newsletter to submit a name.**)

Submissions must be received by July 20th to be included on this year's plaque. Submissions after the 20th will be added to next year's plaque.

Look for the completed plaque at the base of the Man. (Important note: the plaque is displayed at the Manbase, not the Temple, where more elaborate and personal memorials are created by participants).

May their spirits move on to the eternal playa!

5 SOLAR CAMPS: BLACK ROCK SOLAR WANTS YOU!

Black Rock Solar is looking for theme camps that are using solar power or any other renewable energy!
On Tuesday, August 26 at 3pm, Black Rock Solar will be hosting its fourth annual VIP tour of solar and alternative energy installations on the playa. We want to hear about your awesome solar-powered camp or other creative installation using alternative energy. If you can help us out, please email solartour@blackrocksolar.org for more information. Thank you, and we can't wait to see you!

- The 2014 Placement Team:

Abdullah, Answergirl, BlackJack (and the Flaggers!), Bravo, GetRich, Happy, HepKitten, Level, Machine, Muppet, Panty Free, Papa Bear, Retro, Rev. Bloodshot, SparkleBalls, Swampy, Sweetthang, The Governess, and WhatsIt.

NevadaGeo
Old 07-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #188
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
San Francisco , California
Juplaya pic

On a roadtrip that included Juplaya.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #189
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Nice. Always great sunrises and sunsets on the playa.

Got my ticket in the mail today. Woo and hoo!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Still no tickets. What gives?
Z
Old 07-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #191
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Zep, I wrote to them earlier in the week and was told they are working on shipping them, and that I would receive an email when they do ship.

The good news is my email works, and my info was all correct...

The not so happy news is if they are going in alphabetical order, I have some time to wait, I think they are around the letter 'D'...
Old 07-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #192
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Valrico , Florida
Zep…we are still waiting also, and we're a "B"..getting nervous as we depart this coming Saturday for our summer journey and if we don't get them we will have to get in the Will Call Line..not what we wanted, so hoping they will show up this week. Will let you know if we get them.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #193
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Redwood City , California
I am a B as well and still no tickets. My daughter paid for early delivery and they arrived a few weeks ago.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
if we don't get them we will have to get in the Will Call Line..
If they were mailed to you, you will probably not be able to pick them up from Will Call, at least not without prior arrangements.

If you didn't specify "will call" when you ordered the tickets, it might be easiest to have whoever is picking up your mail forward the tickets to wherever you are at the time.

With 68,000 tickets to handle, I don't know that Burning Man will have a mechanism for converting a "send me tickets" order to "pick up at will call." Disclaimer: I've never worked Will Call and I've never had someone come through my lane at Gate without a ticket. I have scanned a few voided tickets in my time. Those people get sent over to Will Call. I don't know what happens there.

It would go most smoothly for you if you get a confirmation of a change to Will Call status before you arrive at the Will Call window.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Barbie, Annie3 sent me a PM that said that Ticket Fly has a mechanism to change delivery to will call. I had PM'd her essentially the same thing as you posted. As much as I disliked dealing with Ticket Fly, this feature could save the day for people whose summer travel plans have changed.

Dr Quark, just one lepton shy of a meson
Old 07-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
^ Good to know. I posted here in the hopes that someone had more information than I. I haven't had a paper ticket in a couple of years, since I have to show up in person at Will Call for my staff credential wristband. It's convenient not having to risk the lottery, but it puts me a bit out of touch regarding ticketing procedures.

Closed Thread