Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #241
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Redwood City , California
Ray here. Astronomer. Couple questions 1) did you still want an astronomy lecture, and if so when? I am happy to do so. Fairness in advertising I am a Fellow of the evil giant aerospace company Lockheed Martin. Its my job to design and build telescopes for varied applications... not everyone likes to encourage defense industry folk. I would propose a talk on the WFIRST mission see WFIRST 2) I was thinking of running my fantastic fans to keep cool and thought a furnace filter (or two or three)on the fan made sense? do the fans simply suck playa dust in all week, any thoughts? Maybe the furnace filters will clog up in a flash? The more I think of it the dust is like the Borg, resistance is likely futile. My family camps over near 9 O'clock so I'll be on the opposite side of town but happy to bike over for a visit.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfringe View Post
Ray here. Astronomer. Couple questions 1) did you still want an astronomy lecture, and if so when? I am happy to do so. Fairness in advertising I am a Fellow of the evil giant aerospace company Lockheed Martin. Its my job to design and build telescopes for varied applications... not everyone likes to encourage defense industry folk. I would propose a talk on the WFIRST mission see WFIRST 2) I was thinking of running my fantastic fans to keep cool and thought a furnace filter (or two or three)on the fan made sense? do the fans simply suck playa dust in all week, any thoughts? Maybe the furnace filters will clog up in a flash? The more I think of it the dust is like the Borg, resistance is likely futile. My family camps over near 9 O'clock so I'll be on the opposite side of town but happy to bike over for a visit.
Yes Please, we need Astronomy! If you can, Wednesday evening, we try to have scientific talks but my few minutes of the dusty talk, is frankly, dusty. We have our annual camp potluck Wednesday about 6ish, I'm sure we'll get you full before talks about 7. Whatever you wish to talk about!
(yeay yeay yeay, Zep sentmetoaskyoubutIdidn't get it done yet cause I'm not with it so yeay yeay yeay!) and Thank You!
Fantastic fans: maybe try to mist the furnace filters for sorta water bath. the dust is mighty fine and goes through filters, but you'll reduce the amount of dust some anyway. I tried making a swamp cooler with the fan and filters and managed to bring in hotter air, air from between the skins.

NevadaGeo
Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #243
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Hey happy campers. Apparently Perry has one extra regular priced ticket if anyone still needs one. He's out of range at the moment but PM him ASAP if you need a ticket.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Extra Designated Ticket available

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Hey happy campers. Apparently Perry has one extra regular priced ticket if anyone still needs one. He's out of range at the moment but PM him ASAP if you need a ticket.
No cell service where I'm working but one spot and that was less than iffy today and a half hour to drive to it.
MY 20 hour volunteer at the DMV "Staff Ticket" finally came through yesterday so I bought it, $190 off of full price. And got another vehicle pass. Seems we have to wait to sign up for 20 hours this year to get the ticket we earned last year.
So I have one of the Airstreameri and What Not "Designated core people" tickets to sell to an Airstreameri camper, or I'll sell you the DMV Staff ticket for your 20 hours of volunteer time at the DMV on playa this year and what it cost, $190. You get to see a lot of neat Mutant Vehicles up close and personal!

NevadaGeo
Old 08-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #245
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
It's placed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
The ticket has been placed, to some worthy Airstreamer Burners too!

NevadaGeo
Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The Burner Map can be a good way to locate facebook friends who will also be at Burning Man. Help your friends find you.

https://burnermap.com/map/?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #247
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I can feel the excitement on these posts. I'll have to check out burning man next year.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #248
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
More tickets

Burnstream Court folks are in need of 4 more tickets, so if you hear of any please let me know.

Thanks, Monte
Ps; I'm packing... now where did I put that Airstream?
Old 08-10-2014, 02:07 AM   #249
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
What I've indentured you to

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
The application is in, and we're waiting till July or sometime to hear if what we wrote takes again this year. You might note a lot is totally plagiarized from entries on this forum :::::::::::

Burner Profile Username
NevadaGeo

First Name
Perry

Last Name
Elbow Foot
Verify your Main Contact Email Address
lazy
Playa Name
NevadaGeo

Address 1
PO Box
Address 2

City
Genoa

Country
United States

State/Province
NV

Postal Code

Phone Number
What years have you attended Burning Man?

Burning Man Projects and Affiliations
Other

Describe Your Burning Man Projects and Affiliations
Chief grump and formologist, Airstreameri and Geologists theme camp. I may change the name a little this year to Airstreameri and What Not. It was Airstreameri and Geologists and Gynecologists last year with a Botanist show up.

DMV hottie since 2008.

Camp Category
Theme Camp

Who directed you to this category?

Camp/Village Name?
Airstreameri and What Not

For Camps within a registering Village: name of village?

Interactivity Description
We plan on being most annoying with a dusty boring scientific talk with prerequizite multisyllabic language and arm waving and absurd theories about the origin of the Playa Itself, or maybe just ask questions for audience answers. Hopefully we'll have another Click and Clack performance by our resident Gynocologists, and sometimes we'll have a surprised scientist campmate with a few words. We do plan on having the Best Playa Post Card table again, the big City hit to keep the world misinformed on where we are. We definitely will be doing High Class Heckling of street passerby at our Street Art Installation. Stay tuned for more Wordification by a recent Verbosity University Graduate: The day time is busy with the Post Card Construction station , the welcoming bar, foot massages and general bonhomie. We organize the camp so that the corner of the street we have occupied in the past is an open courtyard where people are welcome to drop in. All our camp members meet in this courtyard - rather than in hidden shady nooks - so there is always activity going on which induces others to join us.

We try to exude "Welcomeness" and always invite passing Burners to stay a while. Its has proven to be a successful approach. The informality, absence of structured positioning and edifices, indeed, the seeming "amateurishness" & spontaneity of it all, combine to make Burners feel quite welcome.

Project Interactivity
Scheduled Events,Acculturation for First time Burners,Body Painting,Heckling,Other,Painting,Lectures,Misting System,Ritual

Number of Campmates
41 to 50

Acculturation
We require 5 questions from every camper out of the Survival Bulletin from all camp members before being placed in camp. We query passerby with same questions from the Survival Bulletin. And more Verbosity: We welcome and respect the stranger. All strays are included in our gatherings and potluck meals. Participation is valued and members interact and collaborate with neighbor camps. Generous gifting includes the postcard activity and gifts (generous adult beverage giveaways to support dance camp bars; traypass breakfast to neighborhood, etc). We demonstrate decommodification and radical self-reliance with the individualization and playa adaptivity of the branded product that brings us together. We are self contained and in a position to help others and be a resource for individuals with less hardy shelters. Communal Effort and Civic Responsibility 
are supported by our well-attended playa talks. And our self contained trailers mean less impact to the portapotty system, and members are continually harangued to moop and are physically flogged by camp leadership if they Leave A Trace.

Physical Description
The Airstreameri is a self-contained camp of 22 Airstream camping trailers, from the 1950s up to this year’s models. The trailers and tow vehicles are arranged in two semicircles with a welcoming portal on the main street. Our portal is flanked by our highly popular (and public) Burners’ post card art activity and manikin-manned shade structure relaxation bar. Our only “structure” is an open-sided 14x24 tent canopy where the community gathers for meals and the annual “Playa Vicinity Geology and Ecology” lecture. Most of the Airstreams have roll-out awnings and they are parked in a way that allows for mutual shade and wind barrier support between pairs of trailers. This is a great aid for our 4 tent campers, since we provide pre-planned spots for them to nestle in among the Airstreams. The tow vehicles are parked between pairs of Airstreams on the non-awning side, which makes for a very compact camp. Each pair of Airstreams provides its own power from solar or small, quiet generators that are run only during the day. Other features of the camp are two gray water evaporation ponds, a required Moop container at each Airstream, a fire pit/burn barrel, and a physical arrangement that provides easy entry for large service vehicles (fire, water, sewage service). We start with a plan but remain flexible enough to accommodate being placed at a corner (preferred) or in the middle of a block. This flexibility has allowed the Airstreameri to welcome first time Airstream Burners (and other RV Burners as space permits) who obviously need some Acculturation. We are happy to provide! In addition to welcoming these strays into our camp, we encourage other Burners, through our open portal, to see how we use our Airstreams as self-contained boondocking environments throughout the year. The Airstream community is the original American Caravansary—famous for caravans around the world. The most famous is the Cairo to Cape Town journey in 1959, but the Silk Road Caravan, the ultimate trailer trip, followed a path mapped by Marco Polo in the late 13th century. This 403-day trek covered 31,000 miles and wound its way through Singapore, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Portugal, Syria, Thailand, and Russia. Burners are encouraged to stop by and get a taste of our caravan lifestyle.

Project Features

Sound Amplification
No

Sound Amplification Details

Stage
No

Big-Name Performers
No

Big-Name Performer List

Large Crowds
No

Do You Want Your Camp Listed Publicly?
Listed

Text for website listing
Airstreameri and What Not; come join us Wed evening for dusty scientific talks from a Geologist or Botanist or even a guyno talk by our resident Gynecologist. We have the Best Playa Post Card Table to misinform the folks back home where you are.

Camp Hometown
GENOA

Camp state/province
NV

Camp country
United States

Public URL for Camp

Public Email

1st additional contact
aka Zeppelinium

1st Additional contact role - Important to indicate, as this person may have more authority than the questionnaire filer.
Chief Wrangler

1st Additional contact email
dr.Q

1st Additional contact phone number

2nd Additional contact name
aka BamCamper

2nd Additional contact role - Important to indicate, as this person may have more authority than the questionnaire filer.
Chief Designer, Artist, Mentor

2nd Additional contact email

2nd Additional contact phone number

3rd Additional contact name

3rd Additional contact role - Important to indicate, as this person may have more authority than the questionnaire filer.
Camp Gynecologist and story teller

3rd Additional contact email

3rd Additional contact phone number

4th Additional contact name

4th Additional contact role - Important to indicate, as this person may have more authority than the questionnaire filer.

4th Additional contact email

4th Additional contact phone number

Additional Emails

Purchased a ticket?
Yes

Previous Camp Lead
Me, Perry Elbow aka NevadaGeo

Camp Producer
No

Camp Producer Name

Camp Producer Email

Producer Phone Number

Requested Sector, 1st choice
3:00 Avenue

Requested Frontage Option

Requested Sector, 2nd choice
3:00 Streets

Requested Frontage Option, 2nd choice

Requested Sector, 3rd choice
4:30 Avenue

Requested Frontage Option, 3rd choice

Requested Approximate square footage need by population

You would prefer not to camp near ...
Oh, certainly not them. And we don't wanta be next to those. Actually, not too close to the very loud camps please.

Requested Sector: Other Camps

Other Camp Location: Comments

Requested Approximate square footage need by population: Other Camps

LNT Contact Name
yep, someone
LNT Contact Email
lazy

Leave No Trace is a cornerstone of the Burning Man ethos and one of our Ten Principles.
Practice the 5 R's: Rethink, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Restore and Respect.,Reduce trash when packing.,Create a detailed strategy or plan for Leaving NO Trace

During Burning Man, our camp will:
Keep smelly garbage away from recyclables in BRC.,Clean As We Go and Keep It From Hitting the Ground.,Adopt the seven principles and practices of Leave No Trace at Burning Man.,Educate all camp members about minimizing our impact on the playa, so that my LNT crew can relax during the event knowing that all of our camp members are doing their part.,Conserve energy, use renewable energy sources and minimize waste.,Collect, reduce and properly dispose of grey water.,Use or creatively use discarded materials for all the components of our camp structure and decorations, so that our camp is sustainable year after year.

As we depart the playa, our camp will:
Bring tools to rake, magnetic rake, sweep and pick up every last nail and wood shard that dropped on the playa surface so that I leave my space and my surrounding spaces better than I found them,Follow the 'rule of thumb for line sweeps'- (hyperlink http://www.burningman.com/environmen...opmap10fin.jpg) – performing required multiple sweeps of our camp before leaving BRC. (One sweep is not enough. Do as many passes as necessary: the strength of the line sweep is in the number of people and passes.),Organize neighborhood MOOP sweeps. (Joining with neighboring camps and sweeping an entire block together is the best insurance against MOOP hot spots, bringing your own MOOP scores down.),Secure all vehicles' loads to prevent windblown trash on the highway and in neighboring communities.

Art Installation Name

Heavy Equipment Use
No

Heavy Equipment Details

Share Heavy Equipment

Outside Services Deliveries?
No

Outside Services Details

Outside Services Provider

Number and Type of Vehicles
We are expecting about 22 Airstream trailers with tow vehicles, and about 5 separate vehicles with tents.

RV / Portable Housing Rental
No

Number of RVs / Portable Housing Units

RV / Portable Housing Provider Name

RV/ Portable Housing Unit Provider Email

RV / Portable Housing Unit Provider Phone

Have you purchased a year-round storage container from Burning Man?
No

What is the PC # of the container that you purchased?

Shipping Container From Somewhere Else
No

Year-round Storage Facilities
No

Water for Civic Benefit
No

Mutant Vehicles
No

Mutant Vehicle Contacts

Generator Powered?
No

Number of Generators
4+

Kind of Fuel
gasoline

Fuel Storage
1-20

Alternative Power
Approx 10 of our campers will have some type of solar panels to charge batteries. Most of our campers will have their own generators to charge their batteries.

Comments
We wish to thank the placement gods for all the tireless work you go through just to get us dusty folk a piece of dust to dust off on. Thank You.

and I still have the bottle gift I brought for you last year, I never caught up with you all week. Be sure to come by and get it this year!

Flame Effects
No

Burn Barrels and Open Fire
No

Describe Burn Barrel or Open Fire

Camp Layout Plan Must be uploaded to complete questionnaire
53-accac16c27edd5bbd7c704d07d265608_Airstreameri and What Not 2014.jpg

Sorry to double up the space, but perhaps some one hasn't read the fine print through. There'll be a test, you need to find 5 Questions out of the Survival Guide you got with your ticket before you'll get placed by our wranger; placed out in the out back, hopefully up wind of the portapottie row that is frequently across the street from our home. And you need a MOOP pail, says so right here on line 421b.(3)a. Color coordinated MOOP racquets aren't mandatory, yet. Good items to catch low flying MOOP though. You'll need to practice Heckling,Other,Painting,Lectures,Ritual. (darn, our Body Painters got away to another camp)
Bring real US postage stamps for gifting to the Best Playa Post Card table.
Virgins are required, every day, to GO OUT THERE and find, and come back and report all the neat art you found.
has anybody seen the camp lay out yet?

NevadaGeo
Old 08-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #250
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Camp Lay out

This is what was submitted to the Placement Gods:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstreameri and What Not 2014.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	218774  

NevadaGeo
Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #251
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I'm sure we won't end up anything like that but it always seems to work out just fine anyway.

Looking forward to seeing you all...soon!

Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #252
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
This is what was submitted to the Placement Gods:
That's a couple years old. We seem to do better with a modified wheel.

Dr Q
Old 08-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #253
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
What to do, what to do

We probably could use some type of pipe wrench that will grab rebar and twist to pull rebar out of the ground at the end of the day.
Bring MOOP bags to gift, something you can carry on your bike and pick up the trail of cigarette butts the newbies seem to try to cover the playa with.
Also gifting, my Playa Step daughter at Camp Conduit https://www.facebook.com/camp.conduit/about will be at 2:45 and D this year again gifting HATS at their theme camp, maybe look out for some hats you can gift to Marti to gift back to the city. I just found some neat bags and hats at a thrift store in Jackson.
There's a bike ride for breast cancer survivors Friday afternoon, they usually have a spiritual drumming circle afterwards to make a safe place for the women on the bike ride. They usually need volunteers putting up the poles and directing traffic into the drumming circle, and at the end of the day they usually need help taking down the parking poles and pulling the rebar. (remember the rebar pulling tool? And a hammer to drive the rebar.) that would be info2014@criticaltits.com http://www.criticaltits.com/volunteers.html . The page you find on Facebook isn't at BurningMan, that one is in Afrika.
Sometime Thursday probably we'll do a trek to the Temple with our mementos for our fallen Airstreami over the past years, don't know when, somebody needs to round that up. I have a afternoon shift at the DMV Thursday, but after might be a good time.

NevadaGeo
Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #254
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Not having any luck getting tickets. Have a great burn.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #255
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Sorry Pink.

I still hope for a last minute find for you.

Pipe wrench in the toolbox.

I hope we can pass the test.

Regards,

JD

Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #256
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Sorry Pink.
We'll see ya next year!

Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
3:00 at Interfarout, you asked where? we are

Maybe the I is Isafan or something this year. Go to 3:00 from the outer ring from the gate, we'll be the stand of shiny aluminum with Muffy and Buffy and their surfboard and lots of fun signs greeting you out front on 3:00 near I. Unless Bam has changed the corner decor. You'll probably pass a dozen airstreams camped on the outer ring before you get to our camp.
Find 5 questions in the Survival Guide for our wrangler before you get there, could be something to do while driving through Winnemmucca.
So what's the plan? Is anyone bringing some participation for the community besides Bam and Tranquilo's corner and ChollaBill and Anne's Best Playa Post Card table and perhaps an Astronomy talk gifted to us from a stranger and probably Archie will be doing Media Mecca?
What I think will happen is Wed 6ish Airstreameri Pot Luck, 7 or so some type of scientific talks. Other stuff may be:
Sunday night border party on the back lot until daylite, then bacon.
Maybe a meet and greet SundayMonTues till 2, playa time.
Wed 6ish Airsteameri Pot Luck, at 7 or so some type of scientific talks if the moon is in the right quadrant.
Thursday a trek to the Temple for our fallen friends.
Friday some of us may help with the after bike ride drumming circle bike parking set up and tear down.
Sat maybe a Prom thing to the ManBurn, you set it up.
Sun is 8:00 Temple.
Monday is don't go anywhere
And last is MOOP patrol before you go.

Get your ears tuned up on BMIR - Burning Man Radio - 94.5 FM on the playa
Oh I almost forgot, bring lots of earplugs, those cretins is LOUD!!!

NevadaGeo
Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #258
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We are feeling between under whelmed and over whelmed, and as a good friend used to say "we don't know what we don't know"...

We are making final preps and figuring out any stops along the way...
Old 08-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #259
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
And don't forget, we will have a small corner bar/lounge area where you are welcome to step up and offer whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like it: cha cha lessons, rousing discussions about intriguing subjects, vodka shots, juggling demos, cheese pairings, fruit platters, lemon drop martinis, thumb wrestling challenges, operatic arias...whatever.

And if you have an extra camp chair to put in the lounge area for our guests, please do.

Looking forward to seeing you all in a week! Time is flying now!

Travel safe everyone.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #260
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
We are feeling between under whelmed and over whelmed, and as a good friend used to say "we don't know what we don't know"...

We are making final preps and figuring out any stops along the way...

No worries, you're among friends.
And if you're an experienced camper, you'll be fine.
It's probably not as complicated as you think.
The constant surprises are the best part.

Closed Thread