Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #201
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
List Update

1. NevadaGeo, Perry

2. Zep, aka Dr Quark, 23 footer, there all week with a guest (Mike)

3. Bam, aka Laurel, 19 footer, there all week

4. Avid Traveler

5. Drew05; Drew and Carol, 25'. Arrive on Tuesday with JD...

6. Tranquilo

7. jdalrymple, Jeff and Cindy, 27'. Arrive Tuesday.

8. RG Coleman, Archie, 16', arriving sometime Monday.

9. Bill and Annie

10. Gigi and 2 friends, arriving Sunday, 27'

Please add on or update info.

Hey Pink...any luck with tix? Holly & Dan? Anyone else??

Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #202
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Welcome Gigi. We definitely have room so come on down/up/over! Hang around this thread for updates...
Thanks, will do!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #203
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Bradenton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
1. NevadaGeo, Perry

2. Zep, aka Dr Quark, 23 footer, there all week with a guest (Mike)

3. Bam, aka Laurel, 19 footer, there all week

4. Avid Traveler, aka Irene, 16', arrive Mon or Tues

5. Drew05; Drew and Carol, 25'. Arrive on Tuesday with JD...

6. Tranquilo

7. jdalrymple, Jeff and Cindy, 27'. Arrive Tuesday.

8. RG Coleman, Archie, 16', arriving sometime Monday.

9. Bill and Annie

10. Gigi and 2 friends, arriving Sunday, 27'

Please add on or update info.

Hey Pink...any luck with tix? Holly & Dan? Anyone else??

Updated. I'm in Shanghai.....hoping my tickets are waiting when I get home Saturday morning!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #204
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi View Post
Hi, this will be my first year at BM. Also brand new to AS, took delivery of trailer a few days ago. ... Gigi
If you are coming down 447, there is great little lake 16 miles north of Gerlach. Two camping areas, one on the northeast side, the other on the south. We like the one on NE--it's easier to find a spot to level your Airstream. This would be a great spot to stop on Saturday night if you wanted to be close and get in early.

One caution--we're only camped there unrelated to Burning Man. It might be packed and unavailable due to other BM campers on Saturday.

Zep
Old 07-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #205
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Thank you Zep, will keep that in mind. Appreciate the information!

Gigi
Old 07-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #206
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
BRC from the north

We approach BRC from the north and always spend the night in Cedarville then make an early morning dash south to set up camp in the cool of the morning. Rabbit Traxx has free RV (dry) parking behind the store and other parking or camping places are also available. This town is very burner friendly.
See this: Burning Man: Preparation - Cedarville
This is a favorite both heading N or S: Surprise! Cafe - Home

Burnin to burn,
Monte
Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #207
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
My continued lurking on this thread has only kept my interest up on going. No chance this year as I have yet to find the right trailer - and I certainly have not rehabbed what I don't own yet. Then there are work issues. I remain focused on finding a 20 to maybe 24 foot unit (perhaps vintage kin) that speaks to me. My goal is to have something in livable shape in time for Bonnaroo in June and then ready for a cross country trek for burning man next year.

Looking forward to hearing about this groups experience this year and hoping to join next year.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #208
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Hi all! Am attending the Burn, but staying with an inlaw in her Rialto in Mobility Camp. But would love to stop by and visit my fellow Airstreamers! Any planned happy hours or camp fires or polishing lessons or other events I could possibly drop in on?

peace,

Airstream Dad

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Our Dear Leader usually posts our intended activities shortly before the Burn, but this year he is distracted by his Work and a bum water heater. If we don't get a formal Schedule published here, come by early in the week to see what Dear Leader has settled on (potluck, geology lecture, astronomy lecture, open house, ...). We usually do the one-time events on Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
Z
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #210
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Our Dear Leader has made note that the Sunday opening will require an additional day of Vigilance to maintain our perimeter, not that we're like some border states you may be familiar with, mind you. But space is at a premium and we have lots of it, so (for you Burgins) we often wake up to find Interlopers have moved in under cover of darkness. Even, brazenly, in the middle of the day!

So don't be surprised to find Yourself with Airstreameri picket duty thru Tuesday.

On the other hand, Dear Leader often accommodates other Burners if we know we have the space, so do your best to estimate your arrival time in our attendee post. The Wrangler notes that 3 of our 10 listed Airstreameri posit a Tuesday arrival, which is no problem.

Dr Quark
Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #211
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Bradenton , Florida
Can someone elaborate a little on the oft-mentioned potluck? I'm new to trailer camping and haven't figured out yet what to bring for supplies for the week. Not sure what I should bring for the potluck.
Thanks!
Irene
Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #212
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
No different than a potluck in the baseline world. Except you have to worry about storage/fridge in a warm-ish climate. Take a look at bubble-wrapped styrofoam coolers for ideas on how to keep food and ice for up to a week. One of the two things that are sold on the playa is ice, so you don't have to be really freaky about keeping things cool these days.

My tactic is hit Costco for prepackaged goodies (chicken, shrimp salad, lunch meats, cheese, potato salad, chips, ...). No matter which way you approach BM, there is one conveniently located (Bend, Reno, Salt Lake, Vegas). And for you military types, don't forget about the Navy commissary at Fallon.

BTW, don't forget the "gifting" culture. Good food can be shared among friends any time. Did I mention booze? I think I forgot to mention booze.

Or you can just exist on Patron and Two-and-a-half buck Chuck... (thank you, Bam).

Dr Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidTraveler
Can someone elaborate a little on the oft-mentioned potluck?... Not sure what I should bring for the potluck.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #213
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I posted potluck pictures on the Burning Man threads for the years we camped with Airstreameri (2010, 2011). Here's our blog entry from 2011, complete with Zep in the potluck picture.

General Airstreameri photos from 2011 here
More 2011 pictures here, after some kind soul found my lost backpack with my point and shoot camera in it and mailed it back to me.

These give an idea of the potluck, although that varies every year, of course.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Our Dear Leader usually posts our intended activities shortly before the Burn, but this year he is distracted by his Work and a bum water heater. If we don't get a formal Schedule published here, come by early in the week to see what Dear Leader has settled on (potluck, geology lecture, astronomy lecture, open house, ...). We usually do the one-time events on Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
Z
Settled on? We'd be happy with a session of rating passerby costumes. I'm hoping for the astronomy lecture, there's not much moon gonna be during the burn this year and could be a good night for studying the moons of ur. Studying the geology of Humboldt county is putting me to sleep faster than nodoz.
Sortal schedual: Wednesday 6ish potluck, hopefully followed by our armwaving scientific talk till dark. Most of us are in by Wednesday and most of us haven't left yet.
And daily Best Playa Postcard table.
How about a Sunday nite boundary party? There may be more than the usual Sunday night pressure on our assigned boundarys.

NevadaGeo
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #215
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Our Dear Leader has made note that the Sunday opening will require an additional day of Vigilance to maintain our perimeter, not that we're like some border states you may be familiar with, mind you. But space is at a premium and we have lots of it, so (for you Burgins) we often wake up to find Interlopers have moved in under cover of darkness. Even, brazenly, in the middle of the day!

So don't be surprised to find Yourself with Airstreameri picket duty thru Tuesday.

On the other hand, Dear Leader often accommodates other Burners if we know we have the space, so do your best to estimate your arrival time in our attendee post. The Wrangler notes that 3 of our 10 listed Airstreameri posit a Tuesday arrival, which is no problem.

Dr Quark
This is why it really helps if you let Zep know to save a spot on the B level for you. This is how it works: 4 AM Sunday nite someone manages to open an eye and look out back, and finds 3 strange SOB camps and tents setting up on our outback. One has already sent away their tow vehicle. The playa map shows that section of our area is open camping. Then, if we're lucky, Zep is available and does his amazing mediation and helps our new friends realize that "over there" is actually way much better than in our out back. Except that they can't move their camp with out the tow vehicle. This happens again at 5 AM. Then, About 11AM Zep looks around camp and we have 6 airstreams in our camp and about 5 acres of outback, we decides to let the back half go to the public. Except we're on the hook for final MOOP clean up and the after burn MOOP map. Then the camp fills up with our crowd that was stuck in the whiteout at the gate all day. Later that nite Zep wanders to that back street and finds two airstreams meet head to head by accident, and waves them into our camp.

NevadaGeo
Old 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
WatchUgonnaBring?

WatchUGonnaBring? U might want some of these things.
Bike Butt. Bike lube. I use a spray silicone lube, Barbi says WD40 works as well. Lube your chain every time you’re back in camp. Lemonade can lids washers on your spikes holding down your tribe blanket at your door. Lemonade. Aluminum insulate roll, cover the inside of your toaster. Nomex Welding shirt to help with a Thursday nite burn.(if you got one, you’ll be conscripted to help with a burn somewhere, up close and hot). CO monitor. Rivet Gun. Playa Ash Tray. Gasoline with less than 10% alcohol for Honda generators. Graduated beaker to test your alcohol in your gasoline. Crazy Glue. Ratcheting Hold downs for every Pole. Rope ties for the Austrian. Thumb ties for the Englishman. Rebar with welded washers for the rope. Rebar extraction. Spare Rubber tire, tube. Wind damper for your refrig and water heater vents. Postage stamps to gift to the post card table. Funnel. Fennel. Paring cables. Your State Flag. Olympic Scoring Cards for passerby. Bike locks, unfortunately even I am locking my bike now. Mister from Lowes. Don’t bring music, it will be provided by 2:00. Dr. Anti Dark Wad Defense. Foot Acid. Litmus paper to read pH 9.5 to 10 playa dust. Bike Butt.

oops. BACON! BACON! BACON!

U probably wont need all that. WhatchUgonnaBring then?

NevadaGeo
Old 07-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #217
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Burning to get there?

Burnstream Court has lost one rig in route to BRC and several other close calls plus tire problems so I'm posting this for some of you less experienced Airstreamers!

Monte
Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #218
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
BURNING TO GET THERE? w/attachment

Last post missing attachment!
Monte
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Burning To Get There?.pdf (68.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 07-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #219
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte B View Post
Last post missing attachment!
Monte
If you have the tank capacity, I'd recommend fueling up in Fernley. There's a Pilot at the intersection of I-80 and the turnoff up to 447. It's usually full of burners, but is less congested than Gerlach. Also, if the Gerlach station is backed up to the highway you'll have to pass it by and you won't be able to fuel up at all.

There is usually a place to get water somewhere in Sparks, check Jackrabbit Speaks or the Burning Blog for details closer to the event.

At this point, subject to change, the Gate shifts with the most empty spots are Monday 6am-noon and Monday 6pm-midnight. Sunday and Tuesday are looking pretty well staffed, which should lead to faster processing. Plan accordingly.

Do *not* arrive before 10am on Sunday unless you have a printout for your early access pass. Doing so will greatly delay your entry into Black Rock City.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #220
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
The Wednesday potluck is a very casual, bring whatever you like (no lists), open to the public and random passers by, event. There is always plenty of food. We also have a small bar and lounging area where people can offer up whatever beverages they feel like sharing, whenever they feel like it. Many evenings people gather there and meet and greet the neighbors. Again, it's pretty loose but always seems to work out nicely. There is also a large shade structure where Playa Postcards are created and we mail them home for anyone who wants us to. If you want to bring post card making materials (please no glitter) and/or postcard stamps that would be great.

Closed Thread