Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Burning Man 2014! Planning thread...

Well Happy New Year Burners and Birgins!

Yes, at the request of our fearless Playa Paper Pusher Perry, it's that time again to start a planning thread for this year's Burn.

Dates are August 24 - September 1, 2014.

This is a loosely organized group of Airstreamers who gather in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada every year to participate in the Burning Man Festival. We are not debating the merits of Burning Man here. This thread is for those who are planning to attend this year and would like to participate in planning our theme camp.

Burning Man is not for everyone. If you have not attended before, please go to burningman.com and read everything you can about it, especially the First Timer's Guide and all the preparation info. It's a wild and crazy event in often rough weather conditions and is boondocking only.

There is no fee to be part of our camp but it is a community and participation is a must. Everyone is required to purchase their own tickets to the event (they are not on sale yet but ticket sale info will be announced soon).

You can sign up for the Jack Rabbit Speaks (JRS) Newsletter on the Burning Man site which will keep you updated on all the ticket/event/playa info.

Let the planning begin!
Looking forward to seeing all of your dusty faces.

Cheers.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #2

1979 31' Excella 500
garberville , California
cool I have been to Burningman many times in my truck..tent...and what not...now finally I have a functional 1979 31" Airstream hope to have it ship shape to pull to Burningman this year...if I can get a ticket.. look forward hearing about the camp
Old 01-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrews View Post
cool I have been to Burningman many times in my truck..tent...and what not...now finally I have a functional 1979 31" Airstream hope to have it ship shape to pull to Burningman this year...if I can get a ticket.. look forward hearing about the camp
Yeay a new victi....er Welcome! Welcome!, come on down, the lack of water is fine! The rumors of our daily flag ritual and morning revielle and mandatory beret's are highly overrated; unless you bring it.
No no no no yes, this event is not for everyone, attendance is not recommended unless you wanta have the most fun this side of the DiscWorld and have a burning need to contribute to the plan. Warning!! There will be dust, and there will be dust, and there will be dust. And if you didn't know, there will be dust. There will be a test later on what the dust constitutes of, after my mandatory annual arm waving geotype talk on Dust during our Wednesday Evening Dusty talks.
Or you can skip the whole thing and take the dust test now, 10 question quiz, 80% required to pass, 1 hour C.E.U from the BRC Dust University. Extra points for submitting questions for the Dust exam.

Tickets: I've seen a bit of long armed reference to possible another designated tickets to theme camp core people deal similar to 2013 and 2012.
Sooo, carry on
As you were

NevadaGeo
Old 01-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Ooh, Nevada Geo, just the geologist I wanted to ask...

Could a person make blackboard chalk out of playa? Usually the home made chalk is just plaster of paris with food coloring. But we want a board that won't moop colored powder. Would a 50/50 mix of playa and plaster of paris hold together?

We'll be down the road from you again, camping with Ranger Outpost Berlin. I hope you end up in the 3:00 neighborhood again. Looking forward to another great burn!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Hmmm, hard playa mud... I suspect it would need some plaster to hold it together. Sounds like a good research project. Particles should be small enough not to leave much of a scratch. We'll have to make some for our artists to use on the street decorations. Can't wait to see what they come up with this year!! (was this a plant question) (no, plants won't grow in playa dust. Tried that.)

NevadaGeo
Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Good new year's greetings to all you Burners and wannabee Burners. Congratulations to all for passing the MOOP inspection last year (and years past). Here's to another great burn in 2014 and high hopes for 3:00 placement!

Dr. Quark
Airstreameri Parking Nazi
Old 01-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I've got a group of three or four RVs (not all Airstreams) who want to go this year with our own theme camp. How hard is it to get tickets nowadays? I haven't been for a decade.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomlasec View Post
I've got a group of three or four RVs (not all Airstreams) who want to go this year with our own theme camp. How hard is it to get tickets nowadays? I haven't been for a decade.
The population limit last year was increased by BLM from about 55K to 65K. I think you still have to get your bid in early, regardless. If you want to be a recognized theme camp with a reserved spot, there are many hurdles to get over and as a new camp you may not get preferred/guaranteed/early tickets the first year. I've only been attending for 8 years, but even in that time a lot of things have changed. The one thing that seems the same is that once you're through the gate, the community is as wonderful as ever and the art is more eye-popping each year.

Dr. Quark
Old 01-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
It is not necessary to be part of a "Theme Camp" to go to Burning Man. There are plenty of open camping areas for people who just want to camp by themselves or with a few friends.

Theme Camps are just that. A group of like minded people who have an idea/service/info/entertainment or theme that they want to share with the community. Theme Camps must "apply" with reams of paperwork to get "placed" by the powers that be. And then have something unique to offer the community at large.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Burning Man as a whole seems to be eager to encourage participation, since that is what makes Burning Man the wonderful place that it is. They set aside an unspecified number of tickets to be offered for sale to people who participate, or at a reduced or free price for those who volunteer with some of the departments. The rest of the general participants register for and then participate in a lottery. Those who miss out in the lottery have the option to buy tickets that won't be used by those who did win the lottery.

A theme camp, well thought out, well planned and well executed would be a lot of work. The best theme camps put in a lot of work to look great and draw in a lot of people. But it could also gain you priceless experiences, the gratitude of your Burning Man neighbors, and access to ticket purchases ahead of the general crowds.

In addition to giving you a chance to buy tickets early (or separate from the general ticket lottery), a theme camp can provide you with a few early access passes. Given that Burning Man is actively trying to thin the backup on the highway as tens of thousands of people try to come in all at once, I'm betting that early access passes will be more plentiful. Getting in before the Gate is officially open? Priceless.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Last year we were "Airstreameri Geologists, Gynecologists, and Randomologists". Yes, we did have real, live, card carrying, professional geo's and gyno's in our camp who gave a rousing lecture and fun filled Q & A session after our open potluck on Wednesday night. And we had a surprise guest speaker as we seem to do. Hopefully they are on board again this year. We also had a corner bar and well decorated lounge area with a cast of mannequin greeters, a hospital facade, and a large shade structure with all manner of art supplies for making playa postcards to send home. The post cards were a huge hit and we stamped and mailed hundreds of them for creative Burners. There was some talk about an even larger post card area for 2014.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Nine of diamonds? no it was a four of clubs. Not sure what cards Gail and Kelli had. Our botanist had some type of spade, we tried to tell her there wasn't much for digging out there on the playa. We'll have to play a round of road poker some year. You got any two's?

NevadaGeo
Old 01-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Um, yeah Perry, sure.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
OOOOH, Perry, I think you're on to something. Flag ceremony? Berets? Sounds like the beginning of a great idea for a Twisted Wally party to me.
See you all in BRC! (234 days...) Archie
Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
News from JackRabbit Speaks

Yes Archie, I've always been threatening have a WBBBBcCCi rally out there, gotta have a Propane cannon flag salute, and forced reveille breakfast call (not!) Anyway, minutes old from JackRabbit Speaks:
Theme and text by Larry Harvey and Stuart Mangrum with acknowledgments to David Normal
"The Silk Road was the world's first information superhighway."
—Jeff Greenwald
For countless centuries, travelers along the Silk Route crossed paths in caravansaries, a network of oases and sanctuaries that dotted the 4,000-mile road from Europe to East Asia. These bustling caravan stops offered more than just shelter from the desert wilderness; they were vital centers of cultural exchange, bringing together traders, pilgrims, monks, nomads, traveling entertainers, and wild-eyed adventurers from all points of the compass to share their stories around a common fire. Though fueled by mercantilism, their legacy to us is a grand commerce of ideas — a swirling exchange of languages, legends, technologies, philosophies and art that helped shape nearly every aspect of our modern world.

This year we will create a caravansary that occupies the crossroads of a dreamland: a bazaar of the bizarre wherein treasures of every sort, from every land and age, flow in and out to be flaunted, lost, exploited and discovered. This is not a tourist destination, but a home for travelers who come here bearing gifts. Amid the twisting and the turnings of its souk, participants will come upon an inexhaustible array of teeming goods and unexpected services. Anyone may pose as 'merchant' here, and anyone may play a 'customer', but nothing in this strange emporium shall have a purchase price — no quid, no pro, no quo — no trade at all will be allowed in this ambiguous arcade. According to a rule of desert hospitality, the only thing of value in this 'marketplace' will be one's interaction with a fellow human being.

"Have the nature of a dervish: then wear a stylish cap."
—Proverb of the Caravan of Dreams
Our desert inn will also be a scene of luxury and cultivated ease. An apron of fine carpets will spread out beneath the shade of portals that surround a courtyard. Here travel-wearied pilgrims may relax, inventing pastimes as they watch the whirling world go by. Workers of great wonders will be welcome here; fakirs, dancers, sadhus, seers and potentates will throng through this performance space, like figures that adorn the fabric of a silk brocade. Finger cymbals, chimes, and music of acoustic instruments will fill the air. By night, bathed in the lambent glow of lanterns gently swaying overhead, fire spinners will perform around the Burning Man. This year's Man will rise directly from the desert floor and tower many stories high. Its massive torso will evoke a tiered pagoda; its ornate head will be a lamp that welcomes people home.

"Our history will be spread abroad by caravans."
—The Thousand and One Nights
Like the ancient Silk Route, Burning Man's communities are also spread worldwide. They form a network stretching all the way from Italy to South Korea, from Lithuania to Brazil. In 2014, we will invite these groups to help create a real-life caravansary that represents their varied cultures. As always, any work of art by anyone, regardless of our theme, is also welcome at the Burning Man event. If you are planning to do fire art or wish to install a work of art on the open playa, please see our Art Guidelines for more information. To apply for a grant to fund the creation of artwork for Burning Man 2014, please see our art grant guidelines.

"If you have no troubles, then why not buy a goat?"
—Proverb of the Caravan of Dreams

Now there's a theme looks like it was written by Wally!
Plan On!

NevadaGeo
Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Burning Man 2014 Ticket Info.

And a $40 vehicle fee, sheesh::::::::::::::
Burning Man 2014 Ticketing Information

We know you've been patiently awaiting the ticket information for the year, so here it is! Below you’ll find the information on all of our sales along with some important general ticketing information.

General Ticket Information:

Just like last year, you must be pre-registered through the Burner Profile system to participate in any of our ticket sales. (Hint: if you haven’t already, set up your Burner Profile now.) Ticket prices are the same as they were in 2013. (Yes, you read that correctly.) We’ll once again offer a Low Income Ticket Program, and an online Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP) to facilitate the safe, hassle-free exchange of tickets between people in the aftermarket.

There are a few important changes for 2014: First, we are pleased to announce that we are now working with San Francisco-based Ticketfly as our ticketing technology partner. We are excited about the robustness of their system, their commitment to superior customer service, and how well-suited they are to support us in our continuing evolution.

Second is the introduction of the Vehicle Pass. Traffic in and out of Black Rock City is the singular limiting factor to the event’s future, and the BLM and Nevada Department of Transportation are pressuring us to reduce the number of vehicles on the road and pay for road repairs. As part of a larger program to encourage ridesharing, all vehicles driving into Black Rock City will now be required to have a Vehicle Pass. For 2014 there will be 35,000 Vehicle Passes available. They'll cost $40 each, and will be available for purchase in all of our ticket sales.

We have also expanded ticket delivery options. In addition to our past methods, we have added UPS delivery for the US and Canada (2nd Day Air for the US and Expedited for Canada).

As has been the case for a few years, the only payment types accepted are Mastercard or Visa credit cards, or debit cards with either the Visa or Mastercard symbols. If you don't already have one of these cards, you will need to obtain a one-time use card.

Burning Man Tickets Pre-Sale: 3,000 tickets

As in past pre-sales, these tickets are priced dramatically higher than our regular tickets.

3,000 tickets will be offered at $650 each for the Pre-Sale.
In order to participate in this sale, you must pre-register for access via the Burner Profiles.
Registration will open on Thursday, January 16 at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time and close Monday January 20 at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time.
Those pre-registered will be able to participate in the first-come first-served sale on Wednesday, January 22, starting at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time.
There is a maximum of 4 tickets and 4 Vehicle Passes per person.
These tickets are not eligible for STEP, but are transferable (you are welcome to resell them on your own, if you wish).
Directed Group Sale: 15,000 tickets

The intention of this sale is to help ensure critical theme camp, art installation, and mutant vehicle crews have access to tickets. It is only open to targeted groups.

15,000 tickets will be offered at $380 each in the Directed Group Sale.
Pre-registration is required - if you are a member of a qualifying group you will be given the details directly.
Those pre-registered will be able to participate in the first-come first-served sale on Wednesday, February 12, starting at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time.
There is a maximum of 2 tickets and 2 Vehicle Passes per person.
These tickets are eligible for STEP, and are fully transferrable.
Individual Sale: 38,000 tickets

38,000 tickets will be offered at $380 each in the Individual Sale.
Registration will open on Thursday, February 20 at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time and close Sunday, February 23 at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time.
Those pre-registered will be able to participate in the first-come first-served sale on Wednesday, February 26, starting at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time.
These tickets are eligible for STEP, and are fully transferrable.
OMG Last Chance Sale: 1,000 tickets

1,000 tickets will be offered at $380 each in the OMG Last Chance Sale.
Registration will open on Thursday, July 31 at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time and close Monday, August 4 at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time.
Those pre-registered will be able to participate in the first-come first-served sale on Wednesday, August 6, starting at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time.
These tickets are not eligible for STEP.
These tickets are held at Will Call.
Low Income Ticket Program: 4,000 tickets, by application

4,000 tickets will be made available at $190 to qualifying applicants.
These tickets are non-transferrable.
These tickets are held at Will Call.
Application dates to be announced.
Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP): dates TBA

STEP has proven an invaluable resource for our community seeking legitimate tickets at face value outside of our regular sales. Again in 2014 we'll offer STEP to facilitate the secure, safe, hassle-free exchange of tickets. Tickets bought through STEP are transferable, but they are ONLY available for pickup at Will Call. STEP opening and closing dates, as well as full information on how to participate will be announced on tickets.burningman.com as well as via the JRS.

Ticket Delivery: starting mid-June

Folks ask why we send out our tickets in June. Shipping tickets in the summer allows for a longer window to buy and sell tickets through our Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP), helps put a damper on the scalper market, limits the amount of time scammers have to counterfeit tickets and sell them to unsuspecting Burners, and allows us to include a printed Survival Guide with each ticket. Tickets purchased in the Pre-Sale, the Directed Group Sale and the Individual Sale will start shipping in mid-June. We cannot give you an exact delivery date since that depends on where they are being sent, the method of delivery you select, and other factors outside of our control. But rest assured: you will receive an email when your tickets have shipped. If you choose Will Call when you are buying

As always, you can find all official, current ticket information on our ticket page, and answers to your questions in our revamped online ticket support desk. You can also follow @BMantickets on Twitter for real-time ticketing announcements.

So we gotta get our BurnerProfile done, then watch for the next info.

NevadaGeo
Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Oakton , Virginia
Thanks for the timely post!

Papa Dean
WBCCI 2916
Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
And a $40 vehicle fee, sheesh::::::::::::::
Burning Man 2014 Ticketing Information
Second is the introduction of the Vehicle Pass. ... all vehicles driving into Black Rock City will now be required to have a Vehicle Pass. For 2014 there will be 35,000 Vehicle Passes available. They'll cost $40 each, ....
At first I thought this might be draconian, but on second thought most people come with others, so 35,000 passes will likely accommodate the whole ~63,000 attendees. Let's just hope they don't start counting the number of axles....

Dr Quark
Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Proof Positive

Here is the proof of all that said! Happy Airstreamers/Burners!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Proof Positive!

Here's the proof that you should go! Look at these happy AG&G's and friends hard at work 2013!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AGG5.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	203243  
Closed Thread