Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #71
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
We got no tickets! Hands tied till we get tax refund. Looking for 2 if anybody got extra...
Pink

Old 03-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2007 22' International CCD
fLUSHING , New York
Hello friends, I am definitely going this year 2013. I will driving from NYC. Any tips in preparing my 2007 22-Ft airstream and my f 150 pickup for the first time long haul across the states trip. Also anything I should prepare for once I'm at the playa. I have read so many issues concerning the dust dust and more dust. I hope my AS baby will be ok. Please any helpful tip would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Before you leave the paved road, tape around the outside of all the windows with painter's tape. You'll see many, many RV's with blue or green rimmed windows. It won't keep all the dust out, but it will help.

Bring some vinegar. The dust is alkaline and water that is slightly acidic (with a dash of vinegar) neutralizes it and makes it wash off much more easily. We also bring an extra dishpan and do vinegar water foot baths about halfway through. Aaaaah! A spray bottle of vinegar water is great for quick cleanups. I do a vinegar water wipedown of the inside of the trailer as we are starting to pack up. It needs it again when we get home, but it starts the transformation process.

Pharmacies carry something called bag balm. It's in a green metal box. Buy some. It will seal your skin against the cracking effects of the alkali dust. When my feet start to crack, I clean them with vinegar water, rub bag balm into them, put socks on and go to bed. I wake up with happy feet.

Beyond that, let the dust happen. Between vinegar water, the pressure washer (for the outside and the throw rugs) and the vacuum, I can get the Airstream looking like it's hardly been to Burning Man at all. If you stress about the dust while you're there, you'll miss a lot of the wonderfulness that Burning Man has to offer.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #74
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
oooooo! Not painters tape! With respect, it may in 5 days of desert sun and will in 8 or 9 start to decompose leaving glue residue on your AS skin. It is very difficult to get off.

Get a hold of what is called "Gaffer's Tape". This is a tape used by sound electricians and others to temporarily hold things down etc. It is re usable and when it is pulled it leaves no resdue - as designed to do. You can get it in diff widths.

I used metallic bubble wrap held on with Gaffer's tape to cover my fridge , furnace and water heater vents vents and seams and no dust got into the AS "inner workings".

I also used the same tape to cover up my AC vents to keep the dust out of that piece of machinery. BRC is cool at night and usually very nice in the shade in the daytime so you dont need an AC~!

See you there!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
oooooo! Not painters tape! ...

I also used the same tape to cover up my AC vents to keep the dust out of that piece of machinery. BRC is cool at night and usually very nice in the shade in the daytime so you dont need an AC~!
Most of my painter's tape is still on after two years...

Not so fast, dissing the A/C. Yes, it doesn't get that hot, but for those 2-3 hours of dust storm, when you are bottled up inside, the inside of an Airstream can feel like an oven. Even then, howerver, you can survive without A/C if (big IF) you have a DC powered fan.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I second RMB's suggestion of gaffer's tape. Great stuff and you can get it on Amazon. I suggest you stop at the Transfer Station Road outside of Gerlach and tape up. As Barbie said, the worst dust condition are on the entrance road between the highway and BRC. Like whiteout blizzard conditions. Once camped dust conditions less severe. You may want to tape everything including frig. Turn it off and use a big cooler with block ice; it will last most of the week and ice is sold at BM.

Get a good dust mask, not the paper ones held on by a rubber band. And if you have any lung issues you might want to reconsider BM. But at least get a good tight mask.

Get in shape. BRC is miles and miles across. Riding bike on some of the radial roads is very difficult. Once on the open playa it is much easier. Get some comfortable, funky boots; you'll be doing a lot of walking.

Bring tznachki to pass out to fellow Amerstreameri and G---ologists.

Bring BACON, the national food of BM.

It will be an event that you will never forget!

BTW, saw on Extreme Rvs last night a piece on Mutant Vehicles at last year's BM. Remember "Walter" the giant VW bus?

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #77
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Yep. No matter what you do, you'll find dust in your trailer for years to come. I've used painters tape for years with no ill effects but you have to remove it as soon as the week is over. It helps some to do the windows of your tow vehicle as well. Extra floor mats inside and out will help absorb some of the foot dust.

And I use my AC. Every day. As a coastal person I need a mid day cool down or I pass out. Keeping the windows shut during a dust storm and I'm cooked. Hey if you've got it...

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #78
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Love Walter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	180270  

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
According to the Extreme RVs show, Walter is built on a former airport fire fighting vehicle, is capable of 60 mph on highway, but only gets 1 mpg. There was also a giant VW bug at their camp.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We've used blue painters tape for each of the three years we've brought the Airstream. It works just fine. We tape them up just before we pull out at home and pull them off when we stop for fuel on our way out. No problems yet.

Good goggles are a must. I've gotten by with a bandana for a dust mask. I just wear it around my neck at all times and pull it up when the dust gets thick.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
When Walter came through the DMV processing his first year, we had a discussion about it looking too much like a VW camper. Rules is rules. But we found another rule to get around that one. Only a couple more months till we start doing DMV processing again this year. Is anyone working on a Mutant Vehicle this year?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Roboshaw and Zombie Bait plan to return.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Bravo! Has Bart gotten the suspension upgrade done on RoboShaw yet? I always like to see those MV's.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Nothing's been done on Roboshaw yet. Tin Pickle renovations have been taking up all our time.