Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
When Walter came through the DMV processing his first year, we had a discussion about it looking too much like a VW camper. Rules is rules. But we found another rule to get around that one. Only a couple more months till we start doing DMV processing again this year. Is anyone working on a Mutant Vehicle this year?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Roboshaw and Zombie Bait plan to return.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Bravo! Has Bart gotten the suspension upgrade done on RoboShaw yet? I always like to see those MV's.

NevadaGeo
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Nothing's been done on Roboshaw yet. Tin Pickle renovations have been taking up all our time.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #85
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Roboshaw may end up about the same as last year... we're going to be up in the San Juans for July and half of August, so MV prep time is limited. Right now it's all Airstream, all the time; I then have boat prep to do 'cause the boat is coming to WA as well.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #86
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Boat+Sounds=BLAST
Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Airstreameri and Geologists and Gynecologists application is *ON*

Smile, when you least expect it, someone will sneak up and say

Welcome home! our theme camp application is started, saved and *ON*!! We will be listed in the whowhatwhy with:

Dysfunctionally disorganized Airstreamers, geologists and gynocologists. You have answers we have your dusty questions. Dusty rocks and guynoco talks Wednesday evening. And the best Playa Post Cards in Black Rock City.

Get your planning gear on, we got a month to plan imaginate this thing!

NevadaGeo
Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
San Francisco , California
Greetings!

I'm new to Airstreams, but not new to the burn. I'm Ranger Creech and will be working with the rangers out at the event, camping at Ranger Outpost Tokyo at the 9:00 plaza. I'm looking forward to pre-playa advice on prepping the airstream (a '74 Overlander). I'll also be attending 4th of Juplaya, which should make for a good pre-playa test.

See ya out there!

-Creech
Creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Welcome Ranger Creech! Ranger Full Gear and clan have camped with us with their Tin Pickle, not sure if they'll be out to Juplaya but I sure intend to. Other's will give you all the scoop about blue tape windows and dust. If you have a ZipDee-awning, we've found it imperative to bolt it down with rebar or ratchett straps to your running gear or stabilzers or something. And you'll find aluminum gets freezinghot in the playa sun.

NevadaGeo
Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Creech! Great to see you here! I'm Barbie, friend of Heidi's, met you at Fire Mountain last spring. Bart and I are the crazies who have driven our Airstream down that precipitous driveway of hers for the past three years.

Great to see you on the Forum. This place is full of good ideas and knowledgeable people.

We won't be making it to Juplaya this year, but the Tin Pickle will once again be camped at Ranger Outpost Berlin. If years past are any indication, the cluster of Airstreameri from this thread will be parked somewhere not too far from the 3:00 plaza.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Try another area this year than 3:00?

[ . If years past are any indication, the cluster of Airstreameri from this thread will be parked somewhere not too far from the 3:00 plaza.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I need to bring that up. I had a request from NevadaAu (Gary) to think about moving out to the less dusty country. Most of us have noticed that 3:00 seems to have inordanately deeper potholes and dust than much of the rest of the city. Any thoughts out there? I like the 3:00 country other than the deeper dust.
Right now Gary says he thinks he'll be in country, he just got back from one of his self guided tours of hell-ondouras.

NevadaGeo
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Potholes are a function of traffic, so for fewer potholes, get a location that isn't a main radial artery. I didn't get around BRC all that much last year, but in riding to Gate shifts there were streets much worse than 3:00 closer in to Center Camp. Even getting a spot off 3:30 instead of 3:00 would help.

I did notice that we watched a lot of dust blowing towards Center Camp without hitting us. The side arms seem to avoid whiteouts that afflict the areas closer to 6:00. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I agree with Barbie. I've watched lots of dust storms roar through center camp heading out to 12:00, when things were relatively nice mid-way out 3:00. I don't know what it's like over on the 9:00 side, having never parked there, so I don't know it this is an east side phenomenon or what.

My surmise is that the wind mostly blows from 6:00 to 12:00. The coming-in road is right along that axis and is probably the most beat up and dusty stretch in the whole city. So the center of the city takes the biggest dust hit, less so the 3 and 9 arms.

Zep
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Application wordify

Ok fellow dustyites, help me imaginate this thing. Application period is **ON*** and maybe this year I'll let somebody insert a word or two besides my annoyance.
Our name is:
Airstreameri and Geologists and Gynecologists
We'll be listed in the WhoWhatWhywhatfor as:
Dysfunctionally disorganized Airstreamers, geologists and gynecologists. You have answers we have your dusty questions. Dusty rocks and guynoco talks Wednesday evening. And the best Playa Post Cards in Black Rock City
Next Question, someting called acculturation. I'm gonna be very grumpy on this one for newbies in our camp, we had newbies last year that dumped their grey water on my Nevada Playa, and I'm verrry annnnoyed about that.
Acculturation *This question is required.
As the Burning Man event and culture grows, we are all challenged by demonstrating our values to the newest members of our community. How will your camp meet this challenge?

Words used:0out of 200.
Words please?

NevadaGeo
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Next Question:
Name and Email addy of our LNT contact:

LNT Pledge Links:As a camp we will: (All checkboxes are required) *This question is required.
· Create a detailed strategy or plan for Leaving NO Trace
· Practice the 5 R's: Rethink, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Restore and Respect.
· Reduce trash when packing.
· Keep smelling garbage away from recyclables in BRC.
· Clean As We Go and Keep It From Hitting the Ground.
· Adopt the seven principles and practices of Leave No Trace at Burning Man.
· Educate all camp members about minimizing our impact on the playa, so that my LNT crew can relax during the event knowing that all of our camp members are doing their part.
· Conserve energy, use renewable energy sources and minimize waste.
· Collect, reduce and properly dispose of grey water.
· Use or creatively use discarded materials for all the components of our camp structure and decorations, so that our camp is sustainable year after year.
· Bring tools to rake, magnetic rake, sweep and pick up every last nail and wood shard that dropped on the playa surface so that I leave my space and my surrounding spaces better than I found them
· Follow the rule of thumb for line sweeps – performing required multiple sweeps of our camp before leaving BRC. (One sweep is not enough. Do as many passes as necessary: the strength of the line sweep is in the number of people and passes.)
· Organize neighborhood MOOP sweeps. (Joining with neighboring camps and sweeping an entire block together is the best insurance against MOOP hot spots, bringing your own MOOP scores down.)
· Secure all vehicles' loads to prevent windblown trash on the highway and in neighboring communities.
Right now they have my name on the line.

NevadaGeo
Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Next Question, are we going to do art or Mutant Vehicles:

About Art Installations
For the Placement Team to better understand what you are creating, you will need to answer all the questions in this section regarding any art installation. Esplanade and Large Scale Sound zone camps may use up to 100 feet of space for an installation in front of their camp.

Fire utilized with an art installation or within camps must register for safety purposes.

Art Installation *This question is required.
Will your Camp include an art installation?
· Yes
· No
Burning *This question is required.
Do you plan to burn your project?
· Yes
· No
Combustibles - Fuel and Hazardous Material Storage *This question is required.
Will you be STORING HAZARDOUS FLAMMABLES or any potentially dangerous combustibles, such as gasoline, kerosene, propane, oxygen, consumer fireworks, etc., at your art installation? (This information is for fire prevention only and is confidential.)
· Yes
· No
Burning Questions - Flame Classifications
We are providing fire safety information to all camps, even those who indicated they are not having art, fire, or flame effects in their camp at the time of filing the placement questionnaire. Too much information about fire safety is better than too little, and maybe your plans will change? If so, please contact placement@burningman.com and we will put you in touch with our fire safety team.
Please read the following Flame Classification Definitions carefully and choose the category that best describes the type of fire used in your installation, before answering the questions that follow.
Answering yes to any of the following questions requires that you read and agree to the associated guidelines found in the Fire Safety Agreement section of this questionnaire.
FLAME EFFECTS DEFINITION
Any artwork that incorporates flames that are automated, switched, pressurized or having any other action than simply being lit on fire. This includes projects that use propane or liquid fuels.

OPEN FIRE DEFINITION
DIFFERENT LEVELS OF OPEN FIRE will require different safety procedures.

LEVEL ONE - Art installation when fully engulfed in flames, produces a tremendous amount of heat, and requires a Burn Shield Platform. This burn may or may not require a safety perimeter. Ranger support may or may not be needed. A burn laminate WILL be required for this level.

LEVEL TWO (Small Enclosed Fire) Candles, torches, lanterns, fire barrels, raised container - precautions must be taken to make sure that anything that should not be set on fire is kept away from flame. For example: fabric, sets, etc. that should not be burned. As long as all fire is kept within an enclosed vessel there is no need for a burn shield platform or a laminate.

LEVEL THREE - Art installation created in one location and is moved to an approved burn shield platform for burning. The artwork could be burned on the Man platform after the Man has fallen OR at one of the public burn gardens along the Esplanade, located at 3:99, 6:00 and 9:00. A burn laminate will not be needed for this level.

PYROTECHNICS (FIREWORKS) DEFINITION
Burning Man's definition of pyrotechnics includes any explosives, projectiles or fireworks.

ALL PYROTECHNIC SPECIAL EFFECTS MATERIAL USED IN ANY ART INSTALLATION OR PERFORMANCE MUST CONSIST OF CONSUMER [1.4G CLASS C, UN0336] FIREWORKS OR LESS.
Absolutely NO DISPLAY [1.3G CLASS B, UN0335] FIREWORKS (Professional Fireworks) Or Higher Will Be Permitted At Any Art Installation Or Performance.
Please indicate all of the types of flame classifications, according to the definitions above, that your project will incorporate:
Primary Flame Type *This question is required.
Please indicate the primary flame type (i.e. to be used for the most time during the event) that your artwork will incorporate, according to the flame classification definitions above:
· Flame Effects
· Open Fire
· Pyrotechnic Materials
· None
Secondary Flame Type *This question is required.
Please indicate the secondary flame type (i.e. to be used for the second most often during the event) that your artwork will incorporate, according to the flame classification definitions above:
· Flame Effects
· Open Fire
· Pyrotechnic Materials
· None
Tertiary Flame Type *This question is required.
Please indicate the tertiary flame type (i.e. to be used for the third-most frequent time during the event) that your artwork will incorporate, according to the flame classification definitions above:
· Flame Effects
· Open Fire
· Pyrotechnic Materials
· None
About Those Mutant Vehicles
Mutant Vehicles *This question is required.
Are you planning to have any Mutant Vehicles in your Camp? Note: All Mutant Vehicles need to be preregistered. If you are planning on bringing any Mutant Vehicles you must fill out a DMV questionnaire by their deadline.
· Yes
· No

NevadaGeo
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Next question, whacha goin do?

Project Features
Which, if any of the following features will your project include? Please check all that apply.
· Amplified music (more below)
· Amplified sound (more below)
· Drum circle
· Structures over 15ft. feet high
· Holes dug in the playa
· Massage
· Performance stage
· Piercing
· Pool
· Public kitchens
· Pyrotechnics
· Scaffolding
· Showers
· Tattoo
· Activities for mature audiences (more later)
Project Interactivity *This question is required.
What interactive aspects does your project include? Please check all that apply.
· 24 Hour Interactive Elements
· Acculturation for First time Burners
· Action for Reward
· Bands
· Bar
· Barter
· Body Painting
· Chill Space
· Circus Art
· Collecting Data
· Costuming
· Crafts
· Create an Environment
· Creating Music
· Dancing
· Drawing
· Drumming
· Education Based
· Entertaining
· Experiments
· Fire / Flame Art
· Food Given
· Formalized Dance
· Found Art
· Games
· Gifts Given
· Entertaining Guests
· Environmentally conscious
· Heckling
· Improvisation
· Kinetic Art
· Library
· Lectures
· Marching Bands
· Meditation
· Misting System
· Movies
· Music
· Other
· Painting
· Parades
· Performance
· Photography
· Poetry
· Performance Art
· Recycling Into Art
· Ritual
· Ritual Performance
· Scheduled Events
· Sculpture
· Services Rendered
· Shared Experience
· Silk Screening
· Singing
· Spoken Word
· Structures to Climb or Play On/With
· Theme-related activities
· Theme-related visual effect
· Water Art
· Workshops
· Yoga
· Primarily Day Time
· Primarily Night Time
I usually check "Spoken Word, Lectures, Heckling, evening

NevadaGeo
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Interactivity

This is where I commit each of you to specific duties to be in our camp, or is that a couple questions later?

· Interactivity...
· Interactivity Description *This question is required.
· Please describe your Camp's concepts and goals, philosophy and plans for personal interaction with the community for this year’s event. (This is the most important information we are collecting from you).
·
· Words used:0out of 1000.
Wordify please, some of you have seen what I write there......

NevadaGeo
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #99
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Remember when you showed me that in City? Its leaving...

THE RAYGUN GOTHIC ROCKETSHIP ENDS 2.5 YEAR TENURE IN SAN FRANCISCO

Following its debut at Burning Man in 2009, the Raygun Gothic Rocketship (www.raygungothicrocket.com) graced San Francisco's Embarcadero, blowing the minds of locals and tourists alike for two and a half years. As all good things must come to an end, the 5 Ton Crane crew dismantled the Rocketship this last weekend, putting it in storage, awaiting its next adventure.

In other news, anybody want a rocketship?

Like ... seriously. Contact them at info@raygungothicrocket.com.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Camp size and layout

Zep needs this to construct the plan we have to submit in the application. The application won't even "save" until we have the "plan view" submitted.

Number of Campmates *This question is required.
How many people will be camping with you? We have limited areas available for very large camps/villages, therefore we are encouraging more, smaller camps.
  • 3 to 5 (we cannot map less than three people)
  • 6 to 10
  • 11 to 15
  • 16 to 20
  • 21 to 30
  • 31 to 40
  • 41 to 50
  • 51 to 60
  • 61 to 70
  • 71 to 80
  • 81 to 90
  • 91 to 100
  • 101 to 125
  • 126 to 150
  • 151 to 200
  • 201 to 300
  • 301 to 400
  • 401 and up

Number and Type of Vehicles *This question is required.
Burning Man would like to support environmentally conscious transportation options. Please consider this as you plan your transportation to the playa. Please specify the number of cars and large vehicles (RVs, buses) that will be in your Camp so we can determine space needs.
Words used: 0 out of 80.

Physical Description *This question is required.
We need a description of the layout of your Camp. Please describe the physical aspects with as much detail as possible. Include a description of features like structures, buildings, vehicles, tents, platforms, and the locations of your power sources. Maximum of 5000 characters.
Words used: 0 out of 400.

NevadaGeo