Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Airstream Mutant Vehicle?

I'm amazed at the level of interest here! Doubt I personally can go again in 2013, but in future, after I win the lottery - Airstream themed mutant vehicle for the camp! Let the imagination go wild here, how about a 747 "jumbo jet" Airstream, two old gutted trailers (or better yet, an old trailer on a functioning AS motorhome) stacked on each other, with a circular staircase inside leading to the upper deck, which has extra large "Vistaview" openings cut out for full visibility as it cruises the Playa at night? Lit up with LEDs, full bar, music, chairs and sofas, the works.

Dare to dream. Lord only knows how I'd get it there. Playa DMV is one thing, the Nevada cops might have a problem.

P.S. Saw this beauty below in Kidsville in 2011, not mine. But it inspired me to get into Airstreaming!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamplighters.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	174451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temple.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	174452  

Name:	Thunderdome.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	174453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	174454  

Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Airstream Art Car

On the playa for several years... gutted w/red velour throughout plus interior red LED's. Note drive wheels at tongue ... electric w/driver sitting inside where sofa/bed was! Came to Burnstream Court for a party!
Monte
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream artcar.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	174456  
Monte B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #23
Julie F

1959 18' "Footer"
1976 27' Overlander
Sandy , Oregon
Very nice. Will have to check that out. Thx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
For a good camping spot near Black Rock City, camp at the Squaw Valley Reservoir. The campsite on the north side has grass and fire rings. The "private" gate says "you can camp here, just follow the rules." It's only 29 miles to the Burning Man site.

Attachment 174429

Attachment 174430

Attachment 174431

Zep
winebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #24
Julie F

1959 18' "Footer"
1976 27' Overlander
Sandy , Oregon
That is so funny, the airstream with the blue tanks is my friends airstream. They are Lisa and George from Portland who brought their 2 daughters and will be there this year too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Dad View Post
I'm amazed at the level of interest here! Doubt I personally can go again in 2013, but in future, after I win the lottery - Airstream themed mutant vehicle for the camp! Let the imagination go wild here, how about a 747 "jumbo jet" Airstream, two old gutted trailers (or better yet, an old trailer on a functioning AS motorhome) stacked on each other, with a circular staircase inside leading to the upper deck, which has extra large "Vistaview" openings cut out for full visibility as it cruises the Playa at night? Lit up with LEDs, full bar, music, chairs and sofas, the works.

Dare to dream. Lord only knows how I'd get it there. Playa DMV is one thing, the Nevada cops might have a problem.

P.S. Saw this beauty below in Kidsville in 2011, not mine. But it inspired me to get into Airstreaming!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Plano , Texas
Is it time to go home yet? I'm so ready to get back. This was our first day out in the boonies but we ended up with an awesome neighborhood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1529r.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	174521  
ShineyHiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by winebuff View Post
That is so funny, the airstream with the blue tanks is my friends airstream. They are Lisa and George from Portland who brought their 2 daughters and will be there this year too
Note their hard tie down of their ZipDee awning, most important for the little afternoon playa zephyrs. Thanks to Mark and Straitstream's lead, I haven't had the ZipDee wrap around the roof yet. As the Admiral of Spanky's Wine Bar says, Ratchet Tie Down every post of any canopy. I didn't nail down the feet of our canopy thinking the tie down on each post was enough; I was watching the feet dance in the wind the second day, digging a 6' hole in the playa. Had to ratchet down the tie downs again.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Archie here. Won't see you until 2014 but I'll lurk on the thread to live vicariously. Winebuff, you'll love the Airstreameri!
RG Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
I am in.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #29
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Yay Pink!

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman View Post
Archie here. Won't see you until 2014 ...

Randy
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman View Post
Archie here. Won't see you until 2014 but I'll lurk on the thread to live vicariously. Winebuff, you'll love the Airstreameri!
I agreee with Zep, . Or is it something she's writing about us in the RV magazine?
We do seem to have a group that are on the 48 month plan. Sorta gives them unfair advantage of another year to prepare.

NevadaGeo
Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
Julie F

1959 18' "Footer"
1976 27' Overlander
Sandy , Oregon
Shoot, my friends are going to BM now with me and are bringin their white box rv. Looks like I will have to find a different camp since theirs is not a airstream. Dang! Can I at least come and hang out with you?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #33
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
^^ Get your friends busy with aluminum foil to "fix" their white SOB

Creativity counts @ BM, ya know , ,
Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Preliminary Ticket Information from the Rabbit Speaks

Most everyone on here is probably getting "the Rabbit Speaks", but here's some info on tickets:

BURNING MAN 2013 TICKETS: THE HOLIDAY SALE

Here's the deal: we don't know yet what Black Rock City's allowable peak population for 2013 will be. Some of the details of agreements that impact that number have not yet been finalized, which means we don't have enough data to determine precisely how many tickets will be sold and at what price. We are working hard to get our permits and agreements in place, and will be announcing the full ticket plan on Friday January 4, 2013. That said ...

We know you're super curious about some big questions, and we'd like to put your mind at ease about a few things right now: tickets will be sold first-come first-served -- that's right, no lottery. Secondly, purchasing tickets will require pre-registration so that we can weed out known scalpers beforehand. We'll offer a robust Low Income Ticket Program, as we have in the past, and we're bringing back the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP) to facilitate the safe, hassle-free exchange of tickets between people in the aftermarket.

So there are the big ones for you. We'll have the rest -- all the details -- on January 4th. And with that, here's information about the Holiday Sale ...

Burning Man Tickets Holiday Sale:

Early-birds can participate in our Holiday Sale, which allows folks to buy tickets in time for holiday gifting. PLEASE NOTE: Holiday Sale tickets are priced dramatically higher than our regular tickets will be and Black Rock City, LLC will donate 3% of the price of each ticket sold during this early Holiday Sale to the Burning Man Project, a new nonprofit dedicated to spreading Burning Man culture around the world. (In addition, Black Rock City, LLC makes other substantial contributions throughout the year to support the Burning Man Project, including contributing the proceeds from fundraising events and many other forms of support.)

So ... here are the details:

- 3000 tickets will be offered at $650 each for the Holiday Sale.
- In order to participate in this sale, you must pre-register at:
http://tickets.burningman.com/registration-holiday2013.html
- Registration is open NOW and will close at noon PST on Wednesday December 19th.
- Those pre-registered will be able to participate in the first-come first-served sale on Thursday December 20th, starting at noon PST.
- You may purchase a maximum of 4 tickets per person.
- These tickets are not eligible for STEP, but are transferable (you are welcome to resell them on your own, if you wish).
- The only payment types accepted are Mastercard or Visa credit cards, or debit cards with either the Visa or Mastercard symbols. If you don't have one of these cards, you will need to obtain a one-time use card.
- Physical tickets will be shipped between June 1 and July 15, unless you opt for pick-up at Will Call in Black Rock City.

(We will not be implementing identity-based ticketing (e.g. name-on-ticket) ... for more information, see this blog post from Larry Harvey: http://blog.burningman.com/?p=23887.)

NevadaGeo
Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #35
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
More holiday sticker shock?

Pershing county holding BM up for more, (get the hell out of here "fees")???
Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #36
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Here's an idea....

Why dont we build a very large carboard box in such a way that the inside is totally black and leave assorted gifts inside for the visitors to stumble over... Not big gifts ... a bottle of beer, some chocolates etc that kind of thing.

??
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Copper Falls , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
Although I am still cleaning playa dust out of my Airstream, truck, and lungs I am getting excited about 2013. Originally I had planned to do BM just once as a "bucket list" item, but 2012 was such an amazing experience I might do it again next year.
the same. came as a bucket lister, left as a convert. convert, friends, convert, not convict!!!
huskyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
2012 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
Def on our bucket list for this coming year...nice that you have a good thread going for the new and semi-clueless.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #39
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Welllll OK ...The big cardboard box idea lights no fires...

Then how about a dumpster? Filled wth 2 cu ft boxes ( empty) but for two or three boxes containing a treat??

Dumpster Diving/ Cargo Cult? Yes No??!

I'm trying here! lol
Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Interesting, thoughtful commentary on the Burning Blog about the Cargo Cult theme:
Burning Blog » Blog Archive » Cargo Cult is a daring

It's long, but well worth reading and pondering. What are the parallels? If we go with the theme, do we want to be literal or ironic? If we go with ironic, do we mock other cargo cults, or the cargo cultishness of Burning Man?

(Just in case you needed something to do when escaping from the hectic hazards of the holidays.)