Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #261
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewives View Post
I have pictures and I will figure out how to post them.
Click the "Go Advanced" button below the reply window. Then click on the paperclip above the window. That will bring up a pop up window that will let you upload photos. Then you can use that same paperclip to insert photos into your post.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #262
DrSuze

1979 28' Ambassador
San Diego, Ocean Beach , California
Greetings from drsuze, aquaman, and pogo! Thank you all for being such wonderful camp mates! We had an amazing burn & loved being around all of you wonderful airstreamers! Couldn't have survived without so many of you charging our battery over and over and over again!

We will definitely be back with all of you next year & have many supplies to contribute to the postcard table! You guys all were fantastic-again what a cool camp!!
suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #263
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Woo what a ride! ( Including the crash on the way home! no one injured but Fitzimon's trailer took a beating!) That's what 8 hrs in the exit lines and no sleep does !

So many sincere "Thanks" are due, especially to NevadaGeo, Pink, Pat, Bam, Ron and many more. Without you Burners - your contributions, help, encouragement, company and active participation, ( and the list goes on) no one would have had half as much fun. Our camp was simply the Bestest!

Its the people that make BurningMan, and "Airstreamers, Geologists and Gynocologists " campers are all #1 !

Thank you again.

Veustior Humo

(Latin: Old as Dirt)
Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #264
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Ahh. Another fun and interesting Burn for the record books.

The Girls and I arrived home safely after a very smooth Exodus on Tuesday. Drove straight out, no waiting, and the roads were unusually good. I wanted to post a photo of the mannequins packed into my dinette for the ride home but alas, I've exceeded my attachment limit.

The parade of post card creators was fun this year. Thanks to Annie and Bill for getting it going and to Pink for jumping in with all the supplies and enthusiasm. The Bullhorn marketing was a winner! Great photos Pink. You too Zep.

Thanks again to Perry for providing the shade structure and for wrangling all the paperwork. We all loved the black false fronted Airstream too and Michel's art and subsequent Burn. Can't wait to see the next one.

Really good group this year. Hope everyone comes back in 2014 along with all those who didn't make it this time. Next year was way better.
Next year we will bring double the postcards, 200 wasn't nearly enough. Since they were such a hit I think we should use the same "Trailer Tramp". what do you think?
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #265
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhunter View Post

Next year we will bring double the postcards, 200 wasn't nearly enough. Since they were such a hit I think we should use the same "Trailer Tramp". what do you think?
Why not? They were great. I even sent one home although it hasn't arrived yet. That BRCPO is quite slooooow.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #266
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
New York , New York
Home

After a 6,000 mile haul (out and back) we're home in NYC. My daughters and I had a great burn, met new and old friends, and enjoyed the camp completely.
The post cards really were a hit and I agree with the above post that they might get us closer next year.
A thought for next year: Our little (12 slots) battery charge station did a brisk business between 11 AM - 3 PM. We could advertise charging from 8 AM - 10 PM if the "front line" folks with generators ran shifts (we didn't have enough gas).
Finally, an exit question (which two posts have already answered): On what day, and at what time did you leave the camp ... and how long did it take until all your wheels were on the tarmac?
We left at 9:00 AM on Sunday, when Burning Man Radio said there was no line, and hit the tarmac just after 10:00. There was a tolerable line and everyone in it behaved perfectly (it was all cones, no human traffic directors, until we hit the road, and then there were only 4 people in yellow jackets. Amazing. Go Burners!).
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #267
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
After a 6,000 mile haul (out and back) we're home in NYC. My daughters and I had a great burn, met new and old friends, and enjoyed the camp completely.
The post cards really were a hit and I agree with the above post that they might get us closer next year.
A thought for next year: Our little (12 slots) battery charge station did a brisk business between 11 AM - 3 PM. We could advertise charging from 8 AM - 10 PM if the "front line" folks with generators ran shifts (we didn't have enough gas).
Finally, an exit question (which two posts have already answered): On what day, and at what time did you leave the camp ... and how long did it take until all your wheels were on the tarmac?
We left at 9:00 AM on Sunday, when Burning Man Radio said there was no line, and hit the tarmac just after 10:00. There was a tolerable line and everyone in it behaved perfectly (it was all cones, no human traffic directors, until we hit the road, and then there were only 4 people in yellow jackets. Amazing. Go Burners!).
Left Tuesday around noon and drove right out of the water truck exit (which opens when BM is officially over). Hit pavement within a mile or two.
We're not fond of the smell and noise from generators and prefer solar so sorry can't vote for that.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #268
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I think a charging station is a nice gift to the community. Lots of people could really use some help keeping their cell phone/cameras charged. And although solar is great, not everyone has that available. I don't mind reasonable generator use. Noise? Really? There's nothing but noise on the playa. Generators are kind of a necessary evil for most folks and with a little common courtesy for your neighbors it shouldn't be a big issue.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #269
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We drove out on Gate Road (the same way we came in) at around 10:30 Tuesday morning and had no slowdowns. Going the speed limit (saves the road from potholes for those who follow) it took us about 45 minutes to hit pavement.

I worked the 3-9 pm exodus shift on Sunday afternoon. Drive time from city to highway started at about 2 hours, and was up to about 4 or 5 by the end of my shift, judging from the people I asked who were waiting to pulse.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #270
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I managed to hit the max. Left camp after the temple burn at 10PM, hit the line before I got off 3:00. All the lines seemed to pulse together every hour for a hundred yards or so. Got to the asphalt at 6AM, then 10mph to Empire. Would have stayed till Tuesday but needed to catch plane on Wed and with the constant radio announcement of pending doom and city shut down for rain on Monday afternoon I felt the need to go Sunday nite. At least I did the slow in the cool of nite. A lot of dead cars in all the lanes, and some were just folks fell asleep. A real pulsing exodus system would have helped.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #271
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The Gate staff for exodus had only 5 people on the shift from 9 pm Sunday to 3 am Monday. They were running with fewer that half the volunteer slots filled. My son worked that shift and said it was pretty chaotic. They had to run it with half hour pulses and fewer pulsing stations. The city grew much faster this year than ever before and volunteer supply did not increase accordingly.

There was no one on shift from 3 am to 9 am for exodus because this is usually a very quiet time to exit the city. If you plan to leave after Temple burn, it's usually much better to sleep for about 4 hours, then leave between 2 & 4 am. The few numbers of people who actually manage to pull this off means that traffic is generally smooth and light. You'd probably hit the asphalt only a short while behind those who left the city at 10 pm.

Also, by waiting a while, you let the more frantic, hurried and altered people get well out of your way. We had friends who watched a couch fall off a truck just a short way ahead of them when they left after Temple burn. It's safer to wait.

The exodus scheduling staff had no idea that there would be predictions of dire storms that made people push to leave early. They put their limited volunteers where they would be most needed.

Anyone who wants a smoother exodus could volunteer with Gate and help everyone get out the gate faster. It's not a glamorous job, but it helps the city run better. It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #272
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I've never gone. The other day I expressed interest in going to a group and was firmly told the dust would ruin my car and trailer. Not so much destroy, but forever infest both. What's up with the dust, is it a real problem, and can it be cleaned, or is it permanent and destructive?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #273
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Not destructive and not permanent. It's dust. Soft like talc. It can be cleaned but it does find it's way into cracks and crevices. My current trailer has been to four Burns and you can't tell it's ever been.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #274
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We get the trailer virtually dust free by our next rally. The truck always seems to have a faint whiff of playa whenever we turn on the air conditioning. We all get a bit nostalgic for Burning Man when it does that, so we've never tried to get rid of it entirely.

Costco sells packs of microfiber towels that do a great job of picking up the dust from surfaces. One wipe and the dust is gone from my varnished wood walls in the trailer. The floor (painted) might need a pass with dilute vinegar water (to counteract the alkali dust). The shop vac already cleaned the curtains.

I originally thought the dust would drive me nuts, but it's not gritty.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #275
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Yep. For the record I do take precautions to minimize dust cleanup (only while on the playa).

I cover my upholstery with sheets, use cheap seat covers for my car, lots of floor mats, tape some of the windows and try to keep the doors and windows closed during the windiest times. It really helps.

But be forewarned some dust will get in no matter what you do.

Airstreams are tough and in my opinion meant to be used. I'd rather be a bit dusty or have a few leaves in my grill than miss something I want to see.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #276
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I've never gone. The other day I expressed interest in going to a group and was firmly told the dust would ruin my car and trailer. Not so much destroy, but forever infest both. What's up with the dust, is it a real problem, and can it be cleaned, or is it permanent and destructive?
It would be sad to miss one of the greatest celebrations of human spirit and creativity on this planet. I wonder if any of the group that told you not to come have ever been themselves? We have a 1956 Airstream that we adore so much we named her "Sylvia", we would never do anything to create permanent harm. This year we put up a $200. Costco outdoor shelter which not only reduced the dust to a minimum, but kept the inside temps much more comfortable. Hope you come!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #277
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Naw, we're full, place is closed, nobody goes there any more, it's old hat, you don't wanta go,
If a little dust worries your trailer, the constant 27/24 fun just would be too much for it.
Don't believe a word anyone tells you about Burning Man until you've been there.

Or El Pupo will shoot fire at you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	417sm.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	547.9 KB
ID:	195544  

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
El Pulpo shoots fire like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1180.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	195561
Old 09-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #279
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post

Naw, we're full, place is closed, nobody goes there any more, it's old hat, you don't wanta go,
If a little dust worries your trailer, the constant 27/24 fun just would be too much for it.
Don't believe a word anyone tells you about Burning Man until you've been there.

Or El Pupo will shoot fire at you
Perry you are sooooo funny! So that's why we went from a community of under 59,000 in 2012 and up to 68,000 in 2013!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #280
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
16 Awe-Inspiring Art Installations From Burning Man 2013
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote