Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I agree with Charly, HuskyFan has the idea.
I got to talk with NevadaAU (Gary) a few minutes last Friday at the GSN meeting, he was just in from a month sailing (by thumb no less) in the West Indies,and Curacao, not sure where all else he's been. He couldn't give a talk with us last year because he was somewhere between London and Moscow those days. He wants to come if he gets less ticket-less.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Today's Placement announce

Here's the latest dust coming down from those playa place keepers, just a few hours old:
Hello Campers -

-- Questionnaires in before March 8th for remaining $390 ticket purchase access.

-- We heard you: reMaking STEP ticket process for partners and families.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

IT TAKES 3-5 days

Nearly 200 Theme Camps have filed a questionnaire early, to discover if they are among those pre-selected for access to purchase the remaining $390 tickets for their core infrastructure. Many camps have already heard back from their placers that YES, needed tickets are available for them, and YES, they will be placed . . . just not where.

It's a great thing that the vast majority of remaining tickets are being made available to many theme camps who have met the criteria of: documented history with placement, demonstrated community benefit, adherence to leave no trace, and fully embracing to 10 Burning Man principles.

Yes, it's a great thing, but it's also a daunting task for the small placement team to be allocation access to purchase several thousand tickets. Our busy season is usually in June! Although we originally hoped tom get back to you in about 48 hrs, this is proving impossible, we are volunteers who work default world day jobs. Please be patient, the process will take anywhere from 3-5 days, and we will probably be hit harder as we approach March 8th, but be sure to file your questionnaire by March 8th to hear back about tickets. (The questionnaire will remain open until April 26th. The March 8th deadline is only for checking on potential ticket access).

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

STEP for significant others

Last week we announced (in “Rebuilding Black Rock City 2012”) changes to the sales process for Burning Man 2012 tickets, including adjustments to the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP). At that time we announced a policy of allowing people to purchase only one (1) non-transferable ticket per person through STEP. However, after further consideration and much feedback from you, we’ve decided that this policy is unfair to people who originally registered for two tickets in the Main Sale, one for themselves and one for their significant other, family member, friend, or campmate. We hear you, and we’re listening. That’s why we’re adjusting this policy to allow people who originally registered for two tickets in the Main Sale to request a maximum of two tickets per person through STEP.

read the entire blog here: http://tinyurl.com/87nw3g3

NevadaGeo
Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Here's our public description that could/will show up in Theme Camp registries: Airstreameri and Geologists:

Disfunctionally Disorganized Airstreamers and Geologists. If you have geological answers, we have your geologically challenged multisyllabic questions. If you can demonstrate polishing aluminum, we have your audience. Something terra-fic playa bound on Thursday evening. Stop by our dusty board to see what we put on last night.

Next, Good job on the acculturalization wordifying! oh carp, I have to edit it, form shows 286 words in a 200 word space......got that. Next, 200 words on camp interactivity:....

NevadaGeo
Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Copper Falls , Michigan
Interactivity Description
Please describe your Camp's concepts and goals, philosophy and plans for personal interaction with the community for this year’s event. (This is the most important information we are collecting from you).

Our camp's interactivity will revolve around our Airstreams and their aluminum/mineral/geology connection. We hope to bring knowledge of our Airstreams and their lifestyle of relaxed, mobile living and mix that in with the minerals that gave birth to our 'streams. Events planned for our camp include a talk on the playa dust - what it is, how it came to be and where it is going. One of our resident Geologists will be giving this talk. We will serve simple refreshments and take questions. Our next event will be "Airstreams the User's Manuel". various 'streamers in our camp will give tours, explain how our self contained little "tin cans" work, sustainability, electrical systems, water supply, heat, air conditioning, storage, hook ups, upgrading of old 'streams, purchasing of new 'streams, Airstream disasters, all the various hope and heartbreak that are part of our Airstream lifestyle. This event will no doubt run all day as fellow participants stop in look around, ask questions and move on. We all have different stories and experiences and will share those and give tours of the various airstreams involved. As always, we 'streamers look forward to meeting you!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Copper Falls , Michigan
a very quick take on that second question (haven't downed that first cup of coffee yet). feel free to use any all some or to just tell me to take a hike.

IMHO. I'm the newbie and I hate to step on any toes or offend anyone. but ...

personally I don't like the name "Disfunctionally Disorganized Airstreamers and Geologists." I would not like to give the Burning Man organization the thought that we are somehow disorganized or disfunctional. I also would not want to offend any who truly are dysfunctional. I would prefer to project an image of strong, self reliant, experienced old hands who can help out the newbies. just my personal thoughts. I myself AM a newbie so I really can't speak knowingly to this.

so, to just ramble on (and please forgive me if I'm being pushy - I'm really much more mellow in person) - I like the use of "Airstreameri and Geologists" - its historical, quirky, describes the group accurately. but I think our camp for this year should riff off of the Fertility theme. birth, babies, test tube babies, seeds, planting, growing, something along those lines. I still like "birth of the earth" as it fits in with geology and fertility.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Copper Falls , Michigan
next thought. (oh yeah, the coffee is kicking in)

what will our camp look like physically? rows, lines, circles? didn't you do a spiral shape one year?

a circle could be the 'circle of life'. the spiral would be amazing. I have no idea whatsoever how that is done logistically - does someone put out stakes and string? do we just throw down where we feel like it? are there camp police who tell us where to park?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Pittsboro , North Carolina
Just a thought on the ticket situation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burning man dress.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	151783  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Selling Airstream

I like the idea of showing off our Airstreams at BRC as part of a theme. Just like all of us I proudly show off my 'Stream in grocery store parking lots to the casual curious. But if we are going to be "hawking" product at a major event we should at least get some support from the "company" and its dealers. (Or is that thought counter to Burning Man philosophy)?

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
10 Principles

I needed to go back and review the 10 principles that we are striving accomplish and be a part of. I'm not sure why I'm seeing reference to 9 principles in places. Here it is, copied from the front page of Burningman.com :

Ten Principles
Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.

Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.

Radical Self-reliance
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

Radical Self-expression
Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.

Communal Effort
Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.

Civic Responsibility
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

Leaving No Trace
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.

Participation
Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.

Immediacy
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience

(it might be noted that I'm known for being aggressive in DMV Mutant Vehicle processing to vote to reject MOOPy MV's with Don't MOOP POOP my Nevada! and our Airstreameri camps have so far been found super clean by the MOOP survey squads.)

NevadaGeo
Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The "9 Principles" idea could be coming from the Burning Man Blog: "Radical Inclusion, Meet the Other Nine" when Radical Inclusion had to give way to many of the other principles and tickets needed to go to those with a record of participation, volunteering, cleanup, etc.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
But if we are going to be "hawking" product at a major event we should at least get some support from the "company" and its dealers. (Or is that thought counter to Burning Man philosophy)?
"Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience."

This isn't about Airstream per se. It's about our own relationships with our trailers, with aluminum, with "Ooh, shiny!" and with how we want to share that with the community.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
QUOTE:
"Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience." UNQUOTE

I'm not going to Burning Man with the intent of promoting, or "selling" Airstream in any way. In fact I would be a poor salesman as I have at times spoken disparagingly of the brand. However, there is a fine line here. Since there will be a bivouac of a dozen or so Airstreams at BRC is in fact a statement of commodification. If this were played to the letter of the "law" the BRC DEA (Decommodification Enforcement Agency) would have all Hertz, Ryder, and Penske rental trucks cover up their logos before entering the Playa. All shiny silver RVs would have to tape over the "AIRSTREAM" fore and aft topside on their units and all NIKE-shod soles (souls) would have to cover their SWOOSHES. Maybe we should all go around barefoot and naked; however, that is unhealthy, for the feet anyway. Marketing and branding is in the American cultural DNA and it is everywhere and can't be avoided, only discouraged.

'Nuff said. I'll step down from the pulpit and shut up...

(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
If this were played to the letter of the "law" the BRC DEA (Decommodification Enforcement Agency) would have all Hertz, Ryder, and Penske rental trucks cover up their logos before entering the Playa.
While this is neither required nor enforced, it is encouraged. I always get a kick out of the creative ways that people use colored tape to modify rental truck branding into messages the original company would NEVER condone.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
While this is neither required nor enforced, it is encouraged. I always get a kick out of the creative ways that people use colored tape to modify rental truck branding into messages the original company would NEVER condone.
May we could comply also by adding letters: Hairstream, Stairstream, Flairstream, etc. Any others?

(Bud Light commercial)