Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
I have a question for past burners: I know about the heat, cold, dust, wind, rain, noise, on the playa; how about flying insects such as flies, mosquitoes, gnats? In other words, do I need to fix the screens on my 'Stream?
There was a bug out there on 4thJuPlaya last year, but the playa hadn't dried out completely yet for the year.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Three Best Tips

I only attended Burning Man once (last year), but I can share the three best tips that I picked up:

- Cloth handkerchiefs/ bandannas. Soaked in water and wrapped around your neck, these evaporate quickly, providing a cooling effect around your neck and head. Think of them as a delightful personal air conditioner. Also, if dust kicks up, tuck them up over your nose, and you have instant breathing mask. A MUST HAVE!

- Playa Feet Remedy. The dust is highly alkaline. The best solution is to wear shoes and socks at all times, but if you want to go barefoot or sandaled, bring a spray bottle with a light vinegar/water solution to neutralize. Thoroughly spray your feet at night, then generously apply moisturizer, slipping on a pair of socks. Voila, no feet cracking!

- Dust in electronics. Carry cameras, phones, iPods, whatever, in zip lock baggies. The fine playa dust can be the death of electronics. This would actually be my chief concern at bringing my Airstream to Burning Man, fowling up electronics such as my solar charger (the interior electronics, not the panels). I didn't think of this at the time, if there is a basic air cleaner available, either 12V or 110V, set it up inside your trailer. This should also cut down on the dust accumulation on the surfaces inside.

One last bonus item - STAY FOR THE TEMPLE BURN. We made the mistake of leaving after the Man burned, but I heard the Temple Burn was much more moving/ inspirational. That and Exodus is far easier later on.

Cheers, and I'm already starting to feel sad about missing the Burn this year,

Jim
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Friend of mine was denied her tickets. I am hearing of many people being denied. A themecamp has only 4 people of their regular members who DID get tickets, which means that themecamp is likely to fold.

I am betting that the remaining 10,000 will go quickly and the people who bought extras, "just in case" will be selling them on eBay for a sweet profit rather then putting them back on the BM Ticket market thing. I think the lottery screwed a lot of burners.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Copper Falls , Michigan
we got two (!) rejections. even though we only applied once. didn't understand you got to apply numerous times to get in. D^mn. we were really looking forward to it.
huskyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
It's not over yet. There are still other ways of getting tickets.

Only about a third of the Burning Man regulars I know got tickets, judging by a totally unscientific guesstimate based on facebook comments. So either 2/3 of this year's attendees will be newbies buying from scalpers (PLEASE, no one buy from scalpers. Make them sell at face value or come to Burning Man), or there will be more tickets available in the near future.

If things continue as they currently stand, Burning Man will be a bunch of frat boys looking for a party and the art cars, theme camps, fire dancers, and artists with their art, will all be stuck at home without tickets. Hmmmm, one year of that might kill that excessive demand that's been growing.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Hi all. I got confirmation on my Burning Man tickets for this year. It will be my first time.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Copper Falls , Michigan
I was on fire (so to speak) with ideas!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
I was on fire (so to speak) with ideas!
Well don't cool off yet, we're not even to the Burnal Equinox yet. Somehow I have a feeling there's hope for the ticket mess. Ideas are good, we don't flame folks here (much)

NevadaGeo
Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I got a message from Placement, just a minute ago:
Hello Campers -

The current ticket shortage has hit us very hard. We are writing to encourage you to register your camp, even if you are short of tickets. Thanks to those of you who have been sending feedback, suggestions, and hard figures and data around the current ticket shortage. What's encouraging is the community is, after the initial "@$##!!", pulling together, and some ticket needs are slowly decreasing as camps gage their own ticket inventories and work toward redistribution. Please 'hedge your bets' and register.

If you haven't yet, please read the blog post from February 3rd here:
http://blog.burningman.com/2012/02/news/burning-man-addresses-2012-ticket-situation/

In a nutshell:

"Burning Man’s most important priority is to make sure the community stays intact in the face of the current challenges."

The ticket shortage is impacting theme camps, mutant vehicle projects, and also Burning Man's core volunteer infrastructure. The majority of our volunteer staff of our departments have always purchased their own tickets.

With that commitment in mind, we want to encourage you to register your camp, though it appears currently that you do not have enough tickets for even your core people. We do not want you to miss the opportunity to register your camp, should solutions to your ticket shortage appear after the April 26th Placement registration deadline. The Placement questionnaire goes live in nine days: on Wednesday February 15th at noon Pacific Time.

Finally, look for information on this list soon for how to RSVP and attend our upcoming our upcoming Placement Resource Forums
Limited seats in person, via phone and the web will all be options. For now, save one of these two dates:

Wednesday, February 15th, 6-9pm Pacific Time
Saturday, March 24th, 11am-2pm Pacific Time

Hang in there.

Thank you,

- Placement

NevadaGeo
Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Copper Falls , Michigan
guess we have to wait and see what happens. if we do get tickets we are more than willing to help out with the camp in anyway we can.

I've had lots of ideas for themes - Metallica, 'streams in the desert, Heavy Metal, aluminum foiled, Canned Heat, etc etc

seeing how this years theme is Fertility. our friends call our 'stream "the tube"
- as in "why do you travel around in that tube instead of living in your house?"

Test Tubes! like test tube babies? labs coats and test tubes for drinks, perhaps a layout of the "periodic" table? (we can bring the bloody marys - I make a good one) the camp could be laid out in giant U shapes (like test tubes).

sorry. I leave you alone now. at least until I have another idea!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
I've been wondering if the rising popularity of the main event in BRC and now the ticket controversy might not lead to a greater interest in regional burns?

For instance, I haven't found a Kidsville theme camp at the mid-Atlantic regional burns, either Transformus or the regional burn in Delaware. If a lot of Burners with kids get shut out of BRC, why not converge on one of the larger burns in a region and form a kids camp? Is there a good Kidsville camp at any of the east coast regionals?

While I can't attend BRC this year, to me, the BASH rally in PA seems to have many of the shared elements of inclusiveness, sharing, and child friendliness and adventuresome spirit that I experience profoundly in BRC last year.

Thoughts?

Jim
Arlington, Virginia
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #32
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Hmmm. I guess we (or you Perry ) should jump in for placement.
Hopefully the tickets will shift back into the hands of those who need them.

Our carnival last year was big fun...Tin Can Carnival?
Will we have cotton candy again? That was awesome.
Something to do with Test Tubes or Mad Scientists?
Love the lab coats.
Endless possibilities with a carnival theme...

Barbie? You out there? Will Zombie Bait be making an appearance?

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We're still one ticket short, but we may be camping at Berlin with the Rangers in any case.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
... we may be camping at Berlin with the Rangers in any case.
Noooooooooo, say it isn't so.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Hmmm. I guess we (or you Perry ) should jump in for placement.
Hopefully the tickets will shift back into the hands of those who need them.

Our carnival last year was big fun...Tin Can Carnival?
Will we have cotton candy again? That was awesome.
Something to do with Test Tubes or Mad Scientists?
Love the lab coats.
Endless possibilities with a carnival theme...

Barbie? You out there? Will Zombie Bait be making an appearance?
Well it says Submit by April..questionnaire comes on on Feb 15....so Its party on to plan time, before already!

NevadaGeo
Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Suburnanization made the gnus - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/ar...lars.html?_r=1

Vote early and often...

B.
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #37
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Any and all are welcome to help me form a Jackson Hole satellite Burn. We will be camping on a FS hilltop and obviously operating on a reduced scale. The Man might be just 5 feet tall this year, depending on what sort of fire danger we are experiencing, but I would promise an artsy experience all the same! Bonus: no playa dust.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Latest from the BRC guys, an hour or two old. Being an established theme camp with a clean de-MOOPED certification (thanks to our chief MOOP enforcer Charley), there may be some tickets to be assigned to the Airstreameri and Geologist(s) camp. The them camp application form is live this afternoon; I haven't seen it yet but PLAN ON. More exciting news in the works. Stay tuned, often and frequently for a while. Burning Blog » Blog Archive » Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 2012

NevadaGeo
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #39
Charlyf

2008 20' Safari SE
Carmel Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Charlyf
I will be with you in spirit but my middle son is getting married on Aug 27. Tough decision but I will be back at the Playa in 2013. I will work on the preparation as best I can.
Charlyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Congratulations to your middle son! You will be missed. Love to all.