Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #225
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Well yee haw for the Husky Fans and fellow Dan. Welcome all.

Sounds like style abounds in Michigan. All manner of costumes and/or decor are always acceptable at any time. Who doesn't love a man in tights? Lots of people wear all kinds of crazy but many just wear their normal street clothes. It's all about whatever you feel like doing.

We will all show off our shiny silver homes but props are encouraged. If anyone has equipment/shade structures/construction ideas for a central lounge area, speak up.

Potlucks are for everyone so bring/make whatever you like in abundance. We always rope in a few unsuspecting passersby along with our camp mates.

Grills are fine. I use a propane campfire. We S'mored our hearts out last year.

Generators are fine with respectful usage. I bring 2 so I can minimally AC mid day while napping.

Yes, they will ask you at the Greeters Station if you are a virgin and shenanigans may ensue. But of course everything is optional although why not participate in everything? Despite the rampant rumors, most people are not naked. Thank goodness.

I come from the south through Reno but there are routes from the north. (northerners chime in here) You will get a snail mail newsletter soonish with particulars about everything including routes.

And again there is tons of info at burningman.com. Read on.

Jump in with thoughts and ideas anytime.
Cheers.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #226
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Plano , Texas
Any tips on preparing the AS for the playa? We just finally scored tickets via friends of friends of friends after losing out on the lottery and STEP. YAY! Anyway, talking to our friends with a 5th wheel, they said they tape their windows to try to keep some of the dust out. Any problem with tape on the aluminum? Any other AS specific tips? I hope we'll get a chance to look you all up. Sounds like such a fun group.

We just got back from our first regional burn (Flipside) and had a BLAST! I saw a number of AS there but only got to talk to one of them. Anyone from the forums that was there?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #227
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I use the blue painter's tape and its okay as long as you remove it fairly quickly after. And of course put some extra rugs/mats inside to absorb dust. But be forewarned that everything will be dusty no matter what you do. It doesn't damage anything as its soft like talc but it does get in everywhere during the dust storms.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Bamcamper, we can deal with the dust. We'll just open a few windows on the way home.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #229
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The dust never leaves entirely. You will find bits of it everywhere for the rest of your life. You will also feel that this is not a bad thing.

We cover the windows with reflectix, aluminized bubble wrap, basically. We've tried slipping it inside the glass and taping it on the outside, using the aforementioned blue painters tape. Doing it on the outside is more work but insulates better. We were able to sleep past noon with no air conditioner. We open up the trailer in the evening when the air cools and the dust storms are less likely and it cools off nicely.

We've taken the "northern" route out of the Black Rock Desert, cutting over at Eugene. Take a look at the map and see what your best route for going over the mountains is. The road down to Burning Man is a two lane road most of the way, which is fine for the amount of traffic it carries.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #230
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
So! Do we have a Theme Camp space allocated? How does one reach it ie directions ? Am I invited to park? I will have my portable Drive In Movie theatre arranged playing Trailer PArk Boys at night.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Webspinner, my son was in Irag for a year and the same powdery, talc like dust is exactly how he described what he encountered there. He said when it rained it would slowly build up on your boots until you felt like you were carrying around two hams. I'm glad there is a northern route. Going all the way to Reno would be a bummer.
RMB, maybe we can caravan...... I hope there is space allocated in the AS camp at 3:00 for us as well.
Bamcamper, Is this correct. Will we be able to camp with the Airstream crowd?

Can't Wait,
Dan

Dan
Old 06-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
PS, we will be bringing treats and two generators.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #233
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Yes there will be room for everyone who has signed up (sign up on the rally calendar) and usually there is room to squeeze in an extra or two at the last minute. We will be camping somewhere around 3:00 and a few streets back from the esplanade. We can be a little more specific as we get closer to the event.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #234
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Entering Burning Man

The time is fast approaching when we will all be converging on BRC. I have some questions about what to expect at the gate (other than bell ringing and spanking for the birgins). When does it open, is it advisable to get there early, how long is the wait? I will be coming in from the north via Seattle, Eugene, and Klamath Falls. My trip is 670 miles one way. As far as I can tell RMB and Danlehoskey will also be coming from the PNW. We might want to coordinate our travel. I plan to take two days and spend the night somewhere around Klamath Falls, depending on what time is best for arriving at gate.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #235
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
The gate opens at 12:00 am on the early Monday morning of opening day.
Do not come earlier. You will not be let in and there is no good place to wait.
Some people try to hit it right at opening time, some prefer to wait until daylight. It does vary, but there is always a pretty good wait any time on opening day and everyone has a theory about the best time. Monday afternoon is probably the longest wait but again it depends on lots of things including the unpredictable weather, traffic, etc.

The line to get in can be fun and a bit of a party as everyone is excited to be there. But do obey traffic laws as they will cite you.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Those who arrive before the gate is officially open are shunted off into "D" lot. They then wait there for a break in the traffic once the gate officially opens. This can mean a wait of 6 hours or more. Do not attempt to arrive early.

There are thousands of people trying to get in, most of them coming from I-80 along a two lane road. Year before last we arrived at Empire around 12:30 am. It took us 5 or six hours to get from Empire to the gate, a distance of about 15 miles. When we were stopped, we talked with other people in the line, or we dozed in our cars. In other years, we've arrived at the same time and only spent a couple of hours getting onto the playa. It can vary tremendously.

As the population of Black Rock City grows, the traffic issue gets more complex. Sign up for Jackrabbit Speaks on the burning man web page and pay attention to any updates. There may be traffic solutions and ideas that haven't been formulated yet.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #237
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Hey! Coordinat3ed plans are great! I to oam planning 2 days to get there. I wont get out of Vancouver until noon and will drive non stop for at least 6 hrs after that. Klamath Falls sounds good.

Lets stay in touch.

Michel
Old 06-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #238
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Plan on! We usually have a barbeque/campfire burner that someone left a few years ago and some wood. No one seems to find time to light it though, the paint is still on it after 3 years, there's too much to do.
Placement hasn't made any decisions on where the camps will be, they usually get the map together in early July. Stay tuned, as soon as we know we'll post our address here. It will be somewhere in the 3:00 area, that we know.
Just now I'm seeing some posts from the Reno Regional lists that the playa is not a hard surface so far this year, so there may be lots of dust. I may have to finally learn how to wear a dust mask and goggles, hate those things. If you do look into getting one, look for the kinds that work on the really, really fine stuff.
Be sure to fill up in Fernley on the way out, there is gas in Empire and Gerlach but those lines could be reall long.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote