Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffman404 View Post
I have my tickets and am planning to come with brother Bill. 25' Safari with truck.
The Doctor is in the house? Yeayyy! I'm seeing a shade structure going up somewhere near your kitchen.....

and did I hear someone say Bacon?

Bacon, Playa talk for staples of life. That and Tequila maybe.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #262
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Did you get my igloo cooler 12vdc swamp cooler?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
ideas ...

Rock on with the Silver Streamers. Rocks of the Playa. Have a geologist tell you what's really in the dust. <day> <time> <location>

Playa Dust. need we say more? Geologists talk about what it is. <day> <time> <location>

Dust got you down? Let us help. Rock Doc's talk Playa dust. <day> <time>
<location>

Geology of the Playa. Airstreams in the desert. <day> <time>
<location>

is this the kind of stuff you are looking for NevGeo? more words? less words? other events?

(as always, feel free to use, not use, change or tell me to go stuff myself)
I like it, might be more than we need. Some talks will be after potluck Wed, other question periods maybe Thursday or maybe Saturday or Sunday afternoon pre burns. (We ask the questions, passerbys have the answers. We intend on being dysfunctional..) Somebody score some scoring number sets so we can score and heckle passerbys.

NevadaGeo
Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Did you get my igloo cooler 12vdc swamp cooler?
Thanks, not sure it would do the job. Has anybody used one of these Igloo swamp coolers? Dang that link won't work. I'm looking for a small DC swamp cooler like Monty uses. My AC one looses efficiency with the 20% loss (heating) converting 12V DC to 110 AC.

NevadaGeo
Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #265
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Swamp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Thanks, not sure it would do the job. Has anybody used one of these Igloo swamp coolers? Dang that link won't work. I'm looking for a small DC swamp cooler like Monty uses. My AC one looses efficiency with the 20% loss (heating) converting 12V DC to 110 AC.
I use a AC powered cooler converted from DC, powered by 2 golf cart batteries, powered by a 75 watt solar panel. The cooler pulls .41 Amps (50 watts) AC. I don't use a generator (noise, fumes, cost) and have ample power to pump h2o for trailer & shade misting, LED xmas lights, grind coffee, etc.
Monte
Monte B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #266
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Tickets???

I have ticks for me and Annie but Dan & Kelly from CO need a couple tickets, so if you hear of any please let me know!
Thanks, Monte
Monte B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #267
1 Rivet Member

2011 16' International
Santa Cruz , California
Hey all,
Don't forget our gynecology talk!
Kelli and Gail, the Click and Clack of Gynecology can and will host a Q&A and/or talk at the day and time of your choosing. "What Every Geologist Wanted to Know About Gynecology But Was Afraid to Ask"? or "Burning Man Vaginitis and Other Maladies of the Playa"? or "Tips for Men from Lesbian Gynecologists"? We do a pretty good little light-hearted talk...
Anyway, we will be there again with our 2011 16' Bambi, all week. Can't wait to get home.
XOXOXO
Gail
gnewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #268
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
[QUOTE=gnewel;1164166]Hey all,
Don't forget our gynecology talk!
Kelli and Gail, the Click and Clack of Gynecology can and will host a Q&A and/or talk at the day and time of your choosing. "What Every Geologist Wanted to Know About Gynecology But Was Afraid to Ask"? or "Burning Man Vaginitis and Other Maladies of the Playa"?

Ok, if no one else is going to pick up on this: shouldn't it be "Burning Woman Vaginitis and Other Maladies of the Playa"?

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #269
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Geologists and Gynecologists are always an entertaining mix.
You really can't go wrong no matter how you say it.
Add in Kelli and Gail's vodka shots and it's really a party.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #270
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
We are planning to come in our'56 Caravanner. Working on tickets now!
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #271
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Latest from Placement, non news

Hear's the latest from placement, but I didn't see any thing there. Hopefully in a week or so we'll know our Black Rock City street address.:

PLACEMENT: WHEN + REFLECTIONS ON A KERFUFFLE

As we wrote in newsletter #1, back on May 3rd, our target date to announce which camps will be placed, and where is: early July.

Our second full weekend of placement city-planning just concluded, with inspiration from the mutant vehicles (floats), music, and fabulous costumes parading outside our office windows in San Francisco's Pride celebration. They left a trace, and San Francisco's DPW spent the next several hours restoring Market Street.

As one Placer wrote:

"When we encountered the ticketing kerfuffle we were all very concerned that the theme camps might feel it would be too difficult to bring their interactivity this year and that our theme camp participation might be quite diminished. We cannot yet say whether the implementation of the TC interactivity will be scaled back but I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had a very good set of strong [Theme Camp Questionnaires/TCQs] come in . . . In fact, the TCQs were so good that the bar was raised for placement in prime locations, resulting in a lot of healthy change in the camps who are slated to be placed in these positions . . . so many new or younger camps (less tenure, not younger members) stepped up with really creative ideas about what to offer the community . . .

Why did the challenges of this year result in a strong set of TCQs? My guesses are:
1. The theme camps had to be better prepared at an earlier date than ever to respond to the ticket challenges . . .
2. The publicity around the ticket sell out focused the communities attention on the coming year much sooner and more frequently than many camps would otherwise have done, resulting in a longer and stronger planning period . . .
3. There was much more interaction between Placement and theme camp leads, as we all tried to figure out what the Hell was going on and how we were going to make BRC great this year despite the challenges. The theme camps deserve a lot of credit -- they really stepped up and worked cooperatively to try and resolve challenges and help us as a community figure out how we could preserve and even improve our event in the face of this new challenge. I feel like this process moved us a long way towards developing a closer relationship with theme camps, more to a trusting partnership than previously."

The only thing left to add to that is: thank you!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

GUIDING TURN-KEY CAMPING & DELIVERY ARRAIGNMENTS

A huge topic this year! Whether you call it 'Plug 'n' Play' or Turn-Key Camping, a group of people producing a camp in preparation of the arrival of others . . . really have their work cut out for them to do it right, respecting the ethos of our culture. In collaboration with the generous Theme Camps and Outside Service providers, who saw a communication gap, stepped up to honorably own their missteps, and then worked in concert with us to set proper limits and find solutions, we have created a guiding document.

Turnkey Camping Guidelines: http://bit.ly/My3BQ6

Even if your style of production is more 'Pound 'n' Play', it's probably time to start arraigning to get your stuff delivered to Black Rock, eh?
see: http://tinyurl.com/4yvuyw2

Fuel delivery, storage and safety guidelines for camps and Art Cars: http://bit.ly/JWf8bp

BOULEVARD G

Last year we made G street 40-feet wide, taking the first step in creating a mid-city boulevard. You'll soon know which camps the Placers have chosen to be the vanguard of this new inter-active zone, adjacent to double-deep blocks and art plazas at 4:30 and 7:30. As San Francisco has the bay-front Embarcadero, and a mid-city Market Street, will this become our "interior Esplanade" in the years to come? Well, we do not plan on changing the sound policy* within the city, or asking the DPW and Lamplighters to quadruple their spire-setting and lantern-hanging duties, so: yes, but no.

* http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/sound.html

EARLY ARRIVAL PASSES

Its too early to announce the fulfillment schedule for early arrival passes. We have collected your EA count requests from your questionnaires and noted your EA changes sent to placement@burningman.com. Stay tuned. Distribution is via email, and therefore can be adjusted and reallocated on your end as needed.

IN THE TRENCHES

As our city has grown to incorporate power and fuel distribution, trenching the delivery lines of these resources is common place. Great. Except when the trenching is made across roads. Our temporary roads never seem to recover very well during the event, when trenching across them is followed by a week's worth of foot, bicycle, and mutant vehicle traffic.

Trenching/Digging Conditions (instructions to outside service providers)

Provider shall strive to minimize its impact on the playa and shall restore the playa to its original condition at the conclusion of its operations. Provider shall use good judgment to minimize playa disturbance by limiting digging and trenching to main power distribution lines running from the power source to key power distribution points, and situations where a safety hazard will be created by leaving wires exposed.

• The primary intention for trenching is the burial of electrical cables. No trenching for other purposes may be completed without prior approval from the DPW Heavy Equipment Manager.
• Maximum depth for trenches is not to exceed six inches without prior approval from the DPW Heavy Equipment Manager.
• No trenching may be done across city streets without prior approval from the DPW Heavy Equipment Manager.
• Power lines must be placed immediately upon completion of trenching operations, and trenches must be appropriately backfilled and compacted. No trench may remain open overnight or for an extended duration regardless of circumstance.
• Special care should be taken to avoid the introduction of foreign matter into open trenches during both installation and removal of cables.
• Once cables have been removed, Provider shall follow all Leave No Trace practices which include the restoration of disturbed surfaces to their original state. Provider shall fill and compact all trenches to a surface level with the surrounding area.

NEW [MONKEY!] SEARCH FEATURE

from the BM tech department:

We added a little theme camp search on the blog and the burningman.com page. So....

There is now a little local search to help you find camps at http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/themecamps.html

e.g., there are seven camps if you search for 'monkey'

- The 2012 Placement Team:

Abdullah, Big Cheese, BlackJack, Bravo, DayZee, HepKitten, The Machine, Pixel, Retro, Rev. Bloodshot, Scar, Sweetthang, Termeh, and WD

NevadaGeo
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #272
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Rocks and Docs

Okay, here's what I submitted for the online part of "who what when where why whatfor". The form seemed to indicate we can change later. A lot less verbosity was allowed for the paper form:

Find out what that playa dust stuff really is, questions by our resident geologists, and maybe even a bit of armwaving science talk. Wednesday evening. If you're a scientist with a yearning desire to claim you were among the first to present a talk at Black Rock City, or practice your talk with some willing hecklers, this is the place, you're up next or Saturday evening. (er, the third person didn't show..) Also, date to be determined because I haven't gotten that organized yet, Q&A by our resident Gynocologists. Probably Thursday or Tuesday. Be sure to bring some postage to mail one of ChollaBill and Anne's Playa Post Cards. Or stop by and read our dusty white board for our eventoftheday. Welcome home yall!

NevadaGeo
Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #273
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Ticket available

My friend bogued on Burning Man this year. Who does that? Anyway, I have one extra ticket. Let me know if anyone wants it and I'll hook you up with Pat, the ticket holder. She paid top tier, sorry!
RG Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #274
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman
My friend bogued on Burning Man this year. Who does that? Anyway, I have one extra ticket. Let me know if anyone wants it and I'll hook you up with Pat, the ticket holder. She paid top tier, sorry!
We would gladly purchase your ticket. Would love to give it to my husband tonight as an anniversary gift as he has wanted to go for years.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #275
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Tickets

I know it is still June for another day but I haven't received my ticket or notification that it is in the mail. My credit card was charged last January and I received an order confirmation then. How many of you Burners have received your 2012 hard-copy Burning Man tickets or notice that they are in the mail?

(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 06-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
No ticket or notification. My credic card was billed as well.

Dan
Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #277
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I have since received Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter and they said the tickets are going out slowly because it is such a large volume. I guess I will just be patient.

(Bud Light commercial)

Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
I know it is still June for another day but I haven't received my ticket or notification that it is in the mail. My credit card was charged last January and I received an order confirmation then. How many of you Burners have received your 2012 hard-copy Burning Man tickets or notice that they are in the mail?
I have notification that they will be here next week.
Zep
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #279
Rivet Master

It's about time! I want that Atomic Fireball!!!

Tuna Guys are creating an art installation this year in memory of our Cap'n, Jim Peterson, who went down with his fishing boat in December. We did a kickstarter campaign and raised $10,000 towards making it happen. I didn't want to try to solicit donations here during our campaign but now that ours is done I thought I would just introduce you all to Kickstarter.com. There are a lot of burner projects that need help and you might want to start one of your own to help fund your camps interactivities.
See you at home!
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #280
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
In keeping with the "Trailer Trash" theme for this year, I've uploaded 3 book covers that we could make buttons or maybe t-shirts from. These were written by my step father in the fifties. I'll try to get more if everyone approves. We are super excited, we have one ticket still need another. We have lots of ideas as to how we might contribute.https://picasaweb.google.com/1174899...ks?locked=true#