Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #141
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Greetings, I am Pink and I want to go to Burning Man. I have a 22 footer and a red pickup truck and very little cash...lol

I haven't read most of the posts but I will catch up after finals end the 21st.

Smiles

Old 03-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #142
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Yeay Pink! Lets hope the majic ticket gnome makes its rounds about with a ticket for ya'll. Tell us more about finals after final final. I think some of us are working on getting BRCUniveristy credits transferable... There are some art installations usually using fired playa dust. Makes an annoying looking crackled glass. If I give you some playa dust, would you fire it? We all have some, but....ROAD Trip! 4thJuplaya to pick up more dust for Pink, everybody's in.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #143
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
How much silica is there in playa dust anyway, Mr. Geologist?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #144
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
BM 2012 or bust!

Just got back from the Philippines and trying to catch up on this thread. Hope to be able to get a second ticket to join all of you this year with my new bride.
Mark Parker
aka Konaboy

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #145
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California

Okay happy campers. Per a special request, I have added Burning Man 2012
to the rally calendar for our "official" sign up list.

If you are planning to be part of our loosely organized theme camp,
please sign up there so we can get a tentative head count.

It's starting to feel dusty around here!

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #146
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Congrats on the new bride, Mark!
Looking forward to meeting her on the playa.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Official Lisssting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Okay happy campers. Per a special request, I have added Burning Man 2012
to the rally calendar for our "official" sign up list.

If you are planning to be part of our loosely organized theme camp,
please sign up there so we can get a tentative head count.

It's starting to feel dusty around here!
I hate to say it, but this is the official Lissting. If someone isn't on here, with their participation specialties, they shouldn't be considered as coming and participating:

More Lissting
NevadaGeo, 1 w/ discounted "staff" tick in prog, 31' with long truck; Chief grump, gives dusty talk and LNT MOOPer.
Zep, 1 plus 1 probable, 2 tickets, Soverign with truck, Rodeo Master
NevadaAU (Gary) 1 ticketget, tenting with truck. Gives EXCELLENT dust talk.
BamCamper, 1 ticketget, Bambi with Cherokee, best Hostess
50KIP, 1, ticketed?, BRC Deccommodification Agent lead
huskyfan, 1, ticketed?, Chief Id Eas &AntiDisorganizer
Coffman404, 1, ticketed,
StreamRaider, 1, ticketed, 27' with truck. Have stethescope will
RG Coleman,2, 1 ticketed, 1 ticketget, Bambi w truck. Chief Media Officer
jDalyrmple, 2 ticketed, 27 with truck, Mutant Vehicle in Progress!
ChollaBill and Anne +4, 6ticketget Bambi with car. Greatest Playa Post Cards
Gnewel Gail and Kelli, 2 ticketget. Bambi with car. Best guy-no talk on playa
Lron, 1 ticketget. 34' air rv.
forgranite1, geotype.

NevadaGeo
Old 03-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #148
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Well there it is in black and white. The official Official List.
Looks like a perfectly lovely bunch.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #149
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
hi, guys, new 2011 Bambi owner here, going to be a burning man not sure where yet. Already have my ticket though.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Worked on our Mutant all day yesterday. Kinda gettin' the itch I must say.

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Moop Assignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Sorry, I'm missing about 7 names.

Attachment 151920
Chief Grump and enabler here: If a Provost party bus such as this shows up in camp, each camper will be responsibleand expected for cleaning up Moop after them. Mark, Me, webspinner and several others had to clean up after this uninvited ClassAAA between Mark and moymew in 010'. If anyone invites somone into camp, they'll be extra responsible for Mooping after their guest. The current owners of the SquareStream from oo7' were invited into camp in 011', never showed to participate, and left with oil soaked into the playa. We really lucked out with the big 5th wheels and rv's that moved into our back area in 011', they did a great job. There's no room in our submitted application for such a Provost for this year.

Here's the LNT program from the Placement application I promised that we would post, I believe our proven good work with leaving a clean playa is a big part of why we've been placed again this year:
31. As a camp we will: (All checkboxes are required)
Create a detailed strategy or plan for Leaving NO Trace,Practice the 5 R's: Rethink, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Restore and Respect.,Reduce trash when packing.,Keep smelling garbage away from recyclables in BRC.,Clean As We Go and Keep It From Hitting the Ground.,Adopt the seven principles and practices of Leave No Trace at Burning Man.,Educate all camp members about minimizing our impact on the playa, so that my LNT crew can relax during the event knowing that all of our camp members are doing their part.,Conserve energy, use renewable energy sources and minimize waste.,Collect, reduce and properly dispose of grey water.,Use or creatively use discarded materials for all the components of our camp structure and decorations, so that our camp is sustainable year after year.,Bring tools to rake, magnetic rake, sweep and pick up every last nail and wood shard that dropped on the playa surface so that I leave my space and my surrounding spaces better than I found them,Follow the 'rule of thumb for line sweeps'- (hyperlink http://www.burningman.com/environment/images/moopmap10fin.jpg) performing required multiple sweeps of our camp before leaving BRC. (One sweep is not enough. Do as many passes as necessary: the strength of the line sweep is in the number of people and passes.),Organize neighborhood MOOP sweeps. (Joining with neighboring camps and sweeping an entire block together is the best insurance against MOOP hot spots, bringing your own MOOP scores down.),Secure all vehicles' loads to prevent windblown trash on the highway and in neighboring communities.

grump out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Provost.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	153130  

NevadaGeo
Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Participation is going to be key this year, with theme camps taking a hit from the ticket shortage. From the echos I'm hearing from people who are going through the theme camp application process it's doubly important for camps to pull out all the stops. If tickets are distributed through theme camps, they are going to the ones that actively participate and interact with the community. What can we do that will be memorable and eye catching?

I'm looking forward to hearing more voices working towards a cooperative, interactive, participatory camp. In addition to scoring points with placement and other Burning Man Powers That Be, the act of particpating increases the intensity of the experience for those who get involved.

There are some amazingly creative and talented Airstreamers. The geology talks are great. The postcards are wonderful (thank you Bill and Annie!). And the unscheduled late arrivals who showed up with an Airstream last year and brought their painted signs and cotton candy machine...they were golden.

I could see putting some group energy into creating an Airstream-silvered group area, surrounding a seating area on three sides with trailers and playing with the mineral ambiance of the aluminum, to give a comfortable, welcoming place to draw the wandering public for the lectures.

I envision a silver picket fence, maybe some aluminet shade, and everybody loaning chairs to make a shaded, wind blocked, comfortable place for the public at lecture time and the Airstreameri the rest of the time.

Our Tin Pickle will be parked over with the rangers this year, partly because I didn't want to take up camp space when Bart and I are both planning to be heavily involved in volunteer shift work. It wouldn't be fair for me not to be able to give the camp the energy that it deserves. Even though I'm not camping with the Airstreameri this year, I'll still pitch in. I think it could be a great theme camp, full of great people. Plus, I'd like the camp to be there in future years for us to come back to, if you'll have us. ;-)

So what about some ideas and suggestions and volunteers to give the place some real curb appeal?

And, yeah, about the cleanup, I'm with NevadaGeo:
Cleaning oil out of the playa is a pain. Having to clean it up from the vehicle of someone who occupied camp space but didn't add to the theme camp community interactivity, well, that's just not cricket.

DPW and the placers are also going to be looking for who leaves a clean spot behind them. The DPW folk who come in to tidy up don't look kindly on those who make their lives harder.Having camped and bicycled on the playa when it wasn't Burning Man time, I know that they leave the playa clean. But we need to be committed to leaving our part of it free of human debris. It won't matter how fabulous we look during the week if we don't take every last drop, speck and scrap with us when it's over.

Who's in?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
I could see putting some group energy into creating an Airstream-silvered group area, surrounding a seating area on three sides with trailers and playing with the mineral ambiance of the aluminum, to give a comfortable, welcoming place to draw the wandering public for the lectures.

I envision a silver picket fence, maybe some aluminet shade, and everybody loaning chairs to make a shaded, wind blocked, comfortable place for the public at lecture time and the Airstreameri the rest of the time. ...
Barts and Wedspinner, we will miss you in the camp!

We can easily surround the central courtyard with silver. All we have to do is:
  • decide if it's deep or wide (5 or 6 Airstreams make the box)
  • who will be arriving early and leaving late, so they can be boxed in at the head of the box.
  • who wants their door to open into the box and who doesn't
  • point the opening either west or north (if we're at or near 3:00), which will be best for blocking the wind, so we definitely want to be on the east side of our ring road. In 2011 we had the full span between ring roads, so we could determine this ourselves. Don't know if we'll be as lucky this year.
The drawing below is purely notional, but you get the idea.
Zep

Click image for larger version

Name:	silver debate.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	153145
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #154
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Last year's semi impromptu layout worked well. We were lined up on three sides with an interactive space in the center for games and activities.

Yes the cotton candy and carnival were amazing and a wonderful surprise. This year we will need to create something equally interesting and fun. I agree Barbie. Some more effort needs to be put in to make a real theme camp.

We will have our potluck and info sharing talk but we need more. A Carnival of some sort is always fun. Games are participatory and bring out the kid in all of us. Food and beverage sharing is always good.

I'm all about signage and decor. I'm happy to make some signage once we decide what we are doing. Announcing something for every day is a plus. "Tutu Tuesday Tequila and Chips" as an example with appropriately costumed hosts.

The Trailor Trash decor makes people smile and is easy enough. The more over the top decorations the better. Most people have decor already and if not, garage sales and thrift stores have plenty of recycled items available.

We also took great care to comb our area for moop before leaving last year as did most of our camp. Yeah, there are always a few who are in a hurry to leave or just don't get it but they are really in the minority.

So...step right up and announce what you'd like to do/offer/share/participate in.