Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
...but count on really hot and windy.
Only for a few hours. The flip side is, you better bring a light coat and thick blanket, or you'll be cold at night. Temps can easily be in the 50s.

Zep
Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #22
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Very true Zep...some nights are down right COLD!

Excellent hot toddy time.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Zep's being kind; this is Nevada and I'm sure there's been snow in the air with the hail, gorgeous triple rainbows in the moonlight and in the 40's. So average 110 and 40, nice and balmy 75.
There was a most beautiful double, even triple rainbow this year during the Monday evening moisture conditioning sprinkle that shut down most of the event for a few hours. Seems the colors are reversed on the inside rainbow.
Isn't there a double rainbow during the event just about every year?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I was amazed to find how unabrasive the dust felt when I finally made it to Burning Man. I had imagined stinging sand storms. But the dust is much finer than that - fine enough to work its way into nearly every gap. Many people use painters tape to seal around the outside of their windows so that dust doesn't come in that way.

By opening the trailer up and/or turning on the fan when there is no dust and the outside is cool, one can get by just fine in an airstream without an air conditioner. We did take the precaution of insulating all the windows with reflectex and that helped a lot.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Oh yeas, one of my science experiments for this year: Try to do a filtered positive air pressure in the trailer. My go at turning the center vent into a swamp cooler was a failure this last year, but the filtered positive pressure still seems doable.
I should get ambitious and redo my hydrometer analysis of the playa dust, after 6 days of settling in water there was still 24? some percent of the material in suspension.
Monte has a pretty neat set up of solar powered swamp cooler that does pretty good for him, mine worked sorta, fair but I was loosing power in the DC to 110 inverter and poor position of the solar panels.

Okay kids, get your science thinking on, put together some science and geology experiments to show in our interactivity requirements to be a theme camp. Be among the first to present a talk at the Black Rock City symposium. (Hmm, wonder if I can use that for CEU's to renew my certs?)

NevadaGeo
Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
...Okay kids, get your science thinking on, put together some science and geology experiments to show in our interactivity requirements to be a theme camp. Be among the first to present a talk at the Black Rock City symposium. (Hmm, wonder if I can use that for CEU's to renew my certs?)
Is geodesy and cartography science, engineering, or art? Sign me up to discuss mapping software, types of maps, datums, and projections. It would be a continuation of the overview of map types here. As a lure, I'll offer 25GB of free maps on DVD to those who aren't totally glassy-eyed at the end of the hour. I'll even have five laptops for the use of the class. Anyone for a members' map?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo
...Isn't there a double rainbow during the event just about every year?
Probably. I've got photos of one at each of the events I've attended, but that's an admittedly small sample size.

Zep
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #27
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
eckert , Colorado and Mexico
I'm going to try to make it as it won't be too hard too leave the 105 temperature days here in Mulege.

on edit 7 more posts and I can make the members map! What a great idea Zep!
Portfolio https://myflash.biz

richard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #28
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Isn't there a double rainbow during the event just about every year?
That, and unicorns, too ! And of course, the usual complement of sparkle ponies...

If folks are interested, I'd be happy to talk (and demonstrate) how to build a propane poofer (fire effect) like the ones on RoboShaw....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #29
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
eckert , Colorado and Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
If folks are interested, I'd be happy to talk (and demonstrate) how to build a propane poofer (fire effect) like the ones on RoboShaw....

- Bart
How about posting it online? I have a "cannon" that needs some FIRE.
Portfolio https://myflash.biz

richard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #30
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard77 View Post
How about posting it online? I have a "cannon" that needs some FIRE.
I'll need to write it up.... a cannon is possible, but the ignition source/pilot will take some experimentation.

- Bart
Old 01-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Castle Rock , Colorado
So - it there a specific place the Airstreams park? Do I need to reserve something or just show up? (after buying my tickets of course!)
Miss Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #32
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicki View Post
So - it there a specific place the Airstreams park? Do I need to reserve something or just show up? (after buying my tickets of course!)
What happens is that we apply as a theme camp, this gets us an assigned spot, which is something like 3rd and Bacon.... this is relatively imprecise; the first person there (someone who's done this before) gets hold of the placer person and finds out exactly where to camp.

Someone will post a rally announcement at some point; we'll all sign up there so that we can give a good estimate to the Burning Man theme camp folks....

The 2010 forum thread is worth reading.

Of course, if you've not been to Burning Man before you will spend time on the Burning Man web site reading ... you don't want to be a sparkle pony !

- Bart
Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicki View Post
Good question Miss V, which we'll be revisiting frequently this year. Burningman is not your typical WBCCI rally (not yet ). Nor is it soley an airstream rally. Typically a "burner" will arrive on playa with their tent and ticket, stop somewhere in the outback and camp where it looks good in the free for all, and not too close or too far from one of the porta potty rows. Soon they'll find that the streets close in to the main funs seem to be off limits, reserved for "theme camps" that put on all sorts of neat events, shows, exhibits and sudden shreiks of 50 foot flame in the air.
A "theme camp" is a group of people that have submitted an application to the placement committee of overworked volunteers representing the powers of BM LLC, filling out all sorts of lines of informations describing what kind of flame effects they'll have, how much fuel they will be storing, what kind of interactive events they will present, a map of the proposed positions of every unit in their camp, 8X10 glossies of Alice (remember Alice, this isn't a song about Alice or her restaurant), warnings about serving food without the proper prior permit from the Nevada Department of bla bla bla, what type of interactivities they will present for the community, safety plan, and a environmental impact statement stating that each unit will have their own MOOP pail positioned strategically to deposit any material out of place blowing by in the white outs.
If the Placement Committee feels the form has been filled out with sufficient obfuscation and thusely waves favorably on the proposed "theme camp", said "theme camp" will receive notice of thereunder placement and will be therefore placed as the aforementioned Placement Committee deems appropriate for the "theme camp"
And so it will come to pass, said "theme camp" receives information before the event where said camp will be afforded to camp, not here nor there but within said blue flags as the placement committee sets out for said camp.

Or you takes your chances parking somewhere in the outback in the freeforall, not too close nor too far from a row of porta pottys.

Chief Grump,
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo
Old 01-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Now, as if by magic summons, I just had a new email from Placement..stand by...

-- The 2011 Placement Questionnaire is Coming!

-- 2010 MOOP Map

Hello 2010 Theme Camps -

Before we shut down this list for 2010 -- and create a new list from your 2011 Placement questionnaires -- we wanted to share the following:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

** 2011 Placement Filing

The 2011 Placement questionnaire is scheduled to go "live" for your use in February, and will close the last Thursday in April (April 28th noon, PST). Once again we will announce placed camps in early July. We will rechristen this placement-announce list as "placement-newsletter", and send all filing camps about fifteen very useful posts, starting with issue number one in early May. Remember that only the main contact filing the questionnaire can request new subscriptions to the newsletter. As always there will be a place to list additional subscriber's emails in the Placement questionnaire.

Our technology team is hard at work, collaborating with Placement to create a new questionnaire experience for 2011. One nifty change will be that some questions will remain hidden unless other information you have provided triggers the need for more information. This will make the questionnaire shorter for many users.

Camps will have the ability to upload their digital files of their camp layout plans directly into the questionnaire for the first time. This will allow placers easier access to your lovely plans, as they will be displayed within our database. This will mean that you will have to have your camp layout plan completed and ready in digital format before you can submit your questionnaire. Accepted formats are .jpg, .pdf, and .png. (Most digital cameras use .jpg, and most computers allow you to save or "print" files as .pdfs, so we don't think this change will burden anyone. We will be standing by at placement@burningman.com if you need assistance).

Additionally, we have collaborated with the Earth Guardians and Playa Restoration Crew to compose a series of checkboxes in the body of the questionnaire for you to make your commitment to "Leave No Trace". We wanted to make your LNT pledge and planning easier for you, so please read all the checkboxes carefully and use the accompanying links for more information.

** 2010 MOOP Map

The 2010 MOOP Map has been posted: http://www.burningman.com/environment/playa_restoration/2010_moop_map.html

It is most important that you have some context along with the visual of the MOOP map, and here it is from Playa Restoration Manager Dark Angel:

Dear Theme Camps,

WE LOVE YOUR WORK. What you do inspires immeasurable beauty. Keep doing what you do. Do your best to Leave No Trace and we will back your effort. As it should be, together we can keep the Black Rock Desert beautiful. Playa Restoration’s primary goal is to Leave No Trace (LNT) to the best of our ability, passing the BLM Inspection Site Inspection of Black Rock City within the 1-month deadline after the event’s end. Our secondary goal, although equally if not more important, is to provide a feedback mechanism by which we can share our perspective of Black Rock City’s LNT effort.

Playa Restoration thanks you for your concern. We understand that you may disagree with our findings and hope that the Moop Map Feedback be taken with a grain of salt and not be taken personally. Let’s use the feedback as a learning tool to broaden our LNT perspective with our neighboring camps and greater Black Rock City community. We understand that your camp did your best to leave no trace, and that’s all that we ask. To the best of our ability, our trace is gone now. We did it together. And we’ll do it again.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

D.A.

Playa Restoration Manager
Department of Public Works, Black Rock City, NV

- The 2011 Placement Team

Abdullah, Answer Girl, Baulknaub, Big Cheese, BlackJack, Dayzee, HepKitten, The Machine, Pixel, Rascal, Retro, Rev. Bloodshot, Sacred Flame, Scar, Shadow, Sweetthang, Termeh, and WD.

NevadaGeo
Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Very true Zep...some nights are down right COLD!

Excellent hot toddy time.

You're darn right. I thought I saw snow one night last year.
StreamRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
...-- 2010 MOOP Map...
Woohoo, we were GREEN!

Quote:
...Camps will have the ability to upload their digital files of their camp layout plans directly into the questionnaire for the first time. This will allow placers easier access to your lovely plans, as they will be displayed within our database. This will mean that you will have to have your camp layout plan completed and ready in digital format before you can submit your questionnaire. Accepted formats are .jpg, .pdf, and .png. ...
I liked the way parking turned out last year (which was not very close to the plan), with the exception that the people who were parked on a north-south heading (mostly those in the middle) made little wind tunnels, which was a little bit miserable. I really liked parking awning-to-awning with COFFMAN404 (Bill and Ed)--we had a nicely protected area between the Airstreams and a view of the street. See post 320 in the 2010 thread for a good view of how we finally parked.

Is there any feedback on how to make the overall layout better?

Zep
Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Airstreameri, I'll miss you this year! I'm enjoying reading the posts, so I can live vicariously. Randy, you behave...
RG Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman View Post
Airstreameri, I'll miss you this year! I'm enjoying reading the posts, so I can live vicariously. Randy, you behave...
Archie, behave is my middle name...

URS truly,
Randy B. Moseley
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Is there any feedback on how to make the overall layout better?

Zep
Stack them.
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #40
Charlyf

2008 20' Safari SE
Carmel Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Charlyf
We are OK

Susie's wrist has healed . I am not sure if Lyle will be a part of our camp he grew considerably. We will be there.
Charlyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally, burning man, group