Old 07-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
HeyWagon got turned down for being not lit and arty enough, with time allowed for an appeal. They also didn't seem to like that Brian offered it as transportation for the populace, although sharing his ride is what he loves to do.

We're working on a makeover that has more of a "concept" in the hopes that the extra effort and pizazz will appeal to the powers that be.
Transporting the masses is part of the whole idea of bringing an art car, isn't it? We sailed our Tuna Boat more than 200 miles last year, mostly with passengers not from our camp. We are like a Playa Taxi Service that rarely drops you off where you want to go (Did I say that out-loud?).
We have the best time looking for virgins to introduce to the event. What better way to see it for the first time than on an art car! We had people ride with us for hours with their mouths hanging open in awe, and we gave a ride to a party of four women who happened to be daughter, mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother! All of them wasted and having a great time!
Best of luck to you, I hope they allow the Heywagon to roll!
Rich the Viking

PS It was great meeting you and Bart!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #212
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
The "DMV" process is the biggest hypocritical thing at BM...trying telling everyone that's it about free expression and not judging people and then apply for a DMV permit...they judge you plain and simple. It has nothing to do with safety. If that was the case then all you'd have to do is follow guidelines. Getting turned down after dropping many thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time makes you plenty bitter, especially since many people who actually SAW my project thought it was plenty "cool" enough. The "appeal" process is also BS. This happened to me two years back and almost made me not attend any more. The kicker is that someone bought my vehicle, put a handicap sticker on it and I saw it everywhere out there not finished or nearly as cool (I thought) as my submitted plan. Look for my anti-BRC-DMV protests out there (I got very vocal in Center Camp with a megaphone that year and had tons of supporters).

Old 07-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #213
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The DMV is stuck; the BLM permitting process limits the number of vehicles.

One can argue about who gets a permit and who doesn't, but some method of allocation is needed. There are also a lot of people who want to add a bit of fur to a golf cart and use that instead of a bicycle all week, so filtering those folks out in favor of either more unusually decorated/built vehicles or those providing whimsical transport (see double decker bus) for lots of oth other participants kes some sense.

I won't argue that the process is ideal... but some process is needed. Anyone wishing to participate (constructively) should get involved; like many things at Burning Man, the DMV is a "do-aucracy" - those who do things get to help determine what happens.

One of the things that might help is to move the permitting process earlier in the year, so that reviews, etc. can occur prior to construction. For those of us w/ full time jobs and without a crew, the building process starts early in the year and is pretty much locked by the time the approval process starts.

Note that vehicle safety is the responsibility of the designer. There is some attempt made to address operational issues (ingress/egress, etc), but the safety of the vehicle (brakes, structural integrity, etc) is not inspected.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
It does suck to put the effort into it and not be able to drive it around.
It's made clear from the beginning of the process that no matter how "cool" or whatever your vehicle is, it may be turned down for use on the playa at any time, before, during and after the permit process. Tons of people brought their art cars last year and were turned down from what I heard. I saw someone get their car taken away a couple of years ago for being too loud or too fast, or both. It's not realistic to assume that you will get to use your art car at Burningman, even after getting it to the playa.
Our art car was not inspected for safety but we were told to improve the safety of the passenger loading and unloading ramp which was a good call on their part: It failed partially instead of completely when it was overloaded one night. They also wanted to see that we had forward facing lights to run at night and instructed us on good procedures for backing up when the drivers view gets blocked, which is almost all of the time.
The DMV has a reputation of being kind of hard-assed for good reason. There are so many complete idiots out there looking for a good time that don't give a s%$t about safety or being a contributing member of the community, or obeying the speed limit, or not drinking and driving. I wouldn't want their job but I'm glad someone is doing it.

Cheers, Burn the Man, Not the Tuna!

Rich the Viking
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #215
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
Viking says, "It's made clear from the beginning of the process that no matter how "cool" or whatever your vehicle is, it may be turned down for use on the playa at any time, before, during and after the permit process."

That certainly wasn't true 2 years ago when I applied. CREATIVITY was what was stressed. We had a Harley golf cart that we covered in holographic fabric. I added 20 or more car horns (our theme camp is obnoXious) and countless strobe lights. We built an elaborate throne on the back and whoever sat there was to be "Queen" or "King" of the playa to be taken wherever commanded. Dozens of people from friends and neighbors some who never would go to BM and several who are vets thought it was fantastic (seeing it in person was more impressive perhaps). Turned down NOT for safety reasons, but because they deemed my proposal "not cool enough". Felt like high school. You can post all the "buts" and "whys" if you'd like...maybe my application and appeal wasn't "clever" enough, but it left a *very* bitter taste in my mouth...art should not be judged. Someone else posted something about limiting the "golf carts" to make way for the "double decker buses", but that's pure bs. I've participated for nine years now and I've seen PLENTY of "art cars" that were pieces of crap compared to what I had turned down. And, as my previous post stated, it was there anyway with a handicap sticker on it (and not a handicapped person in sight, imagine that).

The BLM does NOT limit the number of vehicles on the playa. That is a pure falsehood. Not true. I have a family member who is engineer on the Toiyabe National Forest and I've tales personally with BLM supervisors about it...

Thanks for letting me vent, but please be aware that after 2 years I'm still disillusioned and somewhat pissed off about this whole ordeal and don't want to endlessly debate the merits of the BRC DMV. Bottom line is that I spent lots of money and time to contribute to the event only to be rebuffed.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #216
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I don't remember seeing "onemanclan" on at any of the processing meetings. There is a limit on the number of MV's being allowed on playa, this year approx 720 are to be given invites to come to the gate, with the expectation of 20% not showing for a limit of 500 accepted, for about a 1% of the city population. BLM supervisors are not making that call, but maybe part of the LEO part of the equation. A golf cart covered in fabric doesn't sound mutated which is one of the first requirements for a license. Personal transportation is very low on the acceptance criteria for a license. A person with their own current state disablity placard and info and applies ahead can get a DISABLED sticker on most anything, except two story or with trailer or two wheel or atv and a few other rules. This year a few more of the party buses were denied for not being mutated. Stobe lights that look like an emergency vehicle are out. Sparky the FireTruck was denied for looking like an unmutated Fire Truck. Don't know about that appeal. Animal Control isn't mutated enough, that discussion went on for weeks.
Processing starts about as soon as there are 20 or more applications in the que. If you've volunteered for the DMV you are invited to help with processing, several or most of those on processing usually do have a mutant of their own, all disqualify themselve when their application comes up. It is a conundrum to wish for more information about what a vehicle will look like but not asking someone to put lots of money into their dream MV without being accepted, this comes up almost every meeting. This year much more consideration is being given to rejecting a marginal application, with the hopes for an excellent exciting appeal to wow the committe, rather than allowing a marginal unmutated mutant to be transported across the country or across the world and be rejected on Playa. Something that has a golf cart shape discernable has very little chance.
BRC Rangers and LEO have power to remove a vehicle, not DMV.
Unfortunately, Black Rock City has been evolving every year to where the LEO and LLC and others feel they need to make these rules. Most of us hate turning down someone's very hard work because of the rules.

This is part of why you'll see me grumping on our Airstreameri and Geologists thread about following the Placement Committee placement "recommendations" and interactivity with the city, if we hope to get to be a placed Theme Camp.

This grump over, stand by for another obligatory announcement from chief grump re Reveille at 05:00, Breakfast at 06:00, Shuvvleboard at 07:04, Oratory at 08:13, Reports from newbie explorations at 09:10, Nobody reads through this 10:04, Flag Ceremony 11:11, Lights out 19:00 or is BRC standard time plus 12 hours?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #217
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I understand the DMV's quandaries. I actually think their rejection of HeyWagon will be good for both it and Brian if they accept his appeal. He's had to scratch his head a bit more than he might have and he'll have something he'll be proud to drive on the playa. The positive comments he got last year about it being scratch built and in no way resembling a car, go kart or golf kart may have made him less ambitious than he might have been about improvements for this year. He's very excited about his ideas for the redesign.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #218
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
May I suggest that we all bring dust proof outdoor games
I have a dozen or so plastic hedgehogs and will stock up on flamingos for mallets the moment I hear that we're placed. Anyone up for making an "Alice" outfit for the occasion? Or maybe a Red Queen?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #219
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Mad Hatter here.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #220
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Ooh, maybe I'll bring our Humpty Dumpty costume.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #221
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
NevadaGeo says, "Something that has a golf cart shape discernable has very little chance..."

Fat girls usually don't have a chance to make it on the cheerleader squad. They're unfairly judged. Doesn't matter that cheerleading is supposed to be about spirit and not looks...the best cheerleader in the world could be out of luck if "the cool kids" don't vote for her.

The BRC DMV is the same thing. Oh, their job is SO difficult. They debate endlessly about the merits of people's self expression.

Just like I don't want to see an obese cheerleading squad I don't want to see a bunch of crap out on the playa (it's still out there though). Art Cars should be allowed NO MATTER WHAT as long as they can meet safety guidelines. They have NO restrictions on Go-Peds. I'm taking mine this year for a few hundred laps around their camp.

This is my last word on this. It's been 2 years, but I still get very angry "debating" it and I'd rather focus on other things. I guess I should be rounding up plastic gnomes to stick in the ground...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #222
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanclan View Post
NevadaGeo says, "Something that has a golf cart shape discernable has very little chance..."
Just like I don't want to see an obese cheerleading squad I don't want to see a bunch of crap out on the playa (it's still out there though). Art Cars should be allowed NO MATTER WHAT as long as they can meet safety guidelines. They have NO restrictions on Go-Peds. I'm taking mine this year for a few hundred laps around their camp.
There isn't room for 10000 furry go-karts, atvs and golf carts in the streets, let alone all the painted cars, etc. There would be carnage as those who have no brains drink, dose and drive. Fatalities at Burning Man have often involved vehicles; controlling the number of vehicles attempting to drive amidst the thousands of inebriated pedestrians and bicyclists is a key part of keeping the accidents largely inconsequential.

This year they expect something like 60000 people at Burning Man; tickets are expected to sell out shortly. The high population density requires rules that a city w/ a lower density might avoid.... this is why BRC no longer allows driving of unmutated vehicles, and bans private fireworks and firearms. None of those rules existed when the population was 500 people. Part of making Burning Man continue to happen is constraining some forms of expression so that we can all occupy a fairly small area of land for a week w/o too many accidents.

Given that we cannot allow everyone who wants to drive around to do so, how would you allocate slots?

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
No word from placement yet, someone said they should have it announced by the 15th for everybody.
But, to delegate some work, all newbies are to go out and find and photograph and report back about the little bit of art they'll find out on the playa. Here's the list of the artwork that BurningMan has given some honorarium support from part of your ticket price: 2011 Honorarium Art Installations and here's the total list: 2011 Art of Black Rock City Installations Now for your Tuesday's assignment..........

NevadaGeo
Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #224
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Today's assignment: Read today's Placement Announce #9. Note a lot of discussion about interactivity from the placers. They don't place everyone that applies for a nice close in convenient camping spot:

-- Don't Forget Your Camp Name...

-- Interactivity + Proportional Size = Placement

-- Proper Gate Etiquette: Fancy Website Edition!

-- Jungo? No!-no!

-- You Can Feed the Artists: Rites of Cabbage

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

NAME?

Simple, quick reminder: you will speed a reply -- on the wings of Mercury --
if you include your Camp Name in the subject lines of all emails to
placement@burningman.com

INSIDE THE MIND OF A PLACER

By tonight you should receive individualized notification whether you are placed
or not, and if you are, where? First we wanted to share some of our thought
process behind making placement decisions.

What do placers really think, and how can this help you?

Bigger is not better: especially when an increase in the size of the camp
does not see a proportional increase in interactivity for participants.

Our reserved area for Theme Camps and Villages at BRC are finite. Placing 10
smaller theme camps is much easier than placing 10 very large camps. There
is a higher likelihood of a more interactive area with the 10 smaller camps.
When we look at camps that are becoming larger and requesting more space,
we really look at the what the interactivity is and if the size request seems
to be justified.

Collaboration = Village

We at Burning Man love collaboration. Villages also have a limit on how big
they can be, so again the smaller the camps within the village the more
camps that can get together and share resources. This truly is the model for
collaboration, as it is very difficult for the placement team to accommodate
numerous requests from individual camps that wish to share borders, and yet
are not a village. In essence those requests create a "camp" that becomes
too big to place.

Interactivity- Completed Questionnaires - Proportional Sizes = Placement -
If we have the room!

Our team reads each and every questionnaire. We look at each and every camp
plan. We are getting a sense of what the trends are and how to approach our
job each year to help create a vital - functioning- fun city when our event
begins, after all we only have a week! If some camps are not placed,
generally it is because it is not a good fit. Keep in mind when completing a
questionnaire - that the interactivity, completeness of questionnaires, and
the proportional size are by far the highest priorities on our lists.

GATE EXPECTATIONS

Here's a link to some important tips on what to expect at the Gate when arriving
at Black Rock City and how to make the process go as smoothly as possible for
you - now with interactive FAQ and a diagram illustrating Exodus "pulsing"

http://gate.burningman.com/faq-gate

JUNGO ROAD DRIVING ADVISORY

Those of you driving to Gerlach through Humboldt County, please be advised: do not take JUNGO ROAD. Jungo Road is the dirt road from Winnemucca to Gerlach, also known as "High Road", and as Nevada Road #2048. Humboldt Roads and Service have asked us to advise you not to take this road unless you want to get stuck. The road is dirt, cared for only once a year (in early spring) and is a notorious RV/Car trap. Please take other roads that are better cared for and paved, such as I-80w through Winnemucca. From Winnemucca, drive on I-80w for 132 miles, then you will see signs for Wadsworth/Pyramid Lake. Take a right onto Highway 447 and travel 68 miles north until reaching Gerlach. It will take you 3.5 hours without traffic, but just imagine how much time a busted flat on JUNGO will cost you. Travel safe! I-80 will get you to the playa!

Attention Theme Camps - Soup's On, Baby!

Join with Feed the Artists in this year’s Rites of Cabbage as we feed hungry artists on the playa.

Break bread and commune with artists this year by offering a heart-felt meal to hungry and appreciative artists. You know, those hard-working, butt-busting burner artists that create wonders on the playa would just love a meal from you during setup AND/OR burn week. The gift of a nourishing meal creates community, and will make a huge impact not only on the artists, but also on YOU, their hosts. You’ll have the opportunity to meet and get to know incredible people in an intimate setting, learn about their art projects, and possibly make some new life-long friends!

Hosting meals can be done by Theme Camps or any group or individual willing and able to perform this gracious act! Yes, YOU can cook up an incredible gift by hosting some amazing artists for a meal -- it's easy, it's fun, and it's sure to be a highlight of your Burn.

Here's how it works:

1. Go to feedtheartists.net and register to host an artist group.
2. Once you register go to the invite page which can be accessed from your Theme Camps’ event page. There will be be a link that says: "Invite more artists to dinner".
3. Choose the artist(s) that you want to invite and fill in the 'dinner time' field for each day you are inviting.
4. Click “send invites” at the bottom.

Once invited, the artist(s) will receive an invitation, with your contact information, which they have to confirm. Once confirmed, you’ll receive a confirmation, with all the artist group’s contact information, and you guys can then contact each other to work out all the details.

When you arrive on-playa, check-in at the FtA camp, so that we can make sure everything is still a go. We will also have an on-playa reservation system, if you decide you want to invite additional artists or add additional nights, and we’ll be providing other support services.

If you have any questions about the site, you can email webmaster@feedtheartists.net for help

Rites of Cabbage – Feed the Artists is taking it to a new level this year!

Last year, 50 theme camps fed over 1500 meals to grateful artists, and this year, we want to increase the number of theme camps participating to 100!!!!

We incubated FtA at Burning Man, which was the ideal setting to develop a program that strengthens community connections by bringing people together to celebrate the original art form: preparation, service, and sharing of food. The program has caught on like wildfire, and we're excited to now be fulfilling our vision of moving FtA out to the regional Burning Man events, with Transformus being the first Regional to host their own FtA program. In fact, this program has far reaching implications beyond the playa and Burning Man artist groups -- imagine Feed the Teachers, Feed the Firemen, Feed the Disaster Relief Workers -- you get the idea. Radical Collaboration at its best!!! That’s where we’re headed! And we want you all to join us!

So register and invite, today, and if you feel so inclined, please check out our online
art auction at stores.ebay.com/Feed-the-Artists, and our Kickstarter campaign at http://kck.st/qBgzci.

Much Love,
Colonel Angus

UPCOMING TOPICS

Bars on the Playa, Fire-Safety Guidelines, Rewards for the Best LNT Camps and more.

- The 2011 Placement Team

Abdullah, Answergirl, Baulknaub, Big Cheese, BlackJack, Dayzee, HepKitten, The Machine, Pixel, Rascal, Retro, Rev. Bloodshot, Sacred Flame, Scar, Shadow, Sweetthang, Termeh, and WD.

NevadaGeo

Tags
rally, burning man, group