Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #161
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
eckert , Colorado and Mexico
Zep and Viking - your projects follow the Evolution theme perfectly. Great jobs, can't wait to see them in person.

Nev Geo - loose screw?

Who's getting excited?
Portfolio https://myflash.biz

richard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Lehi , Utah
WoW! and I thought I had a lot to do!
This will be Kim (my wife) and I's 5th year. The 1st that we will not be staying in a tent. Last year we vowed never to return, the dust just got the better of us. Then last April we bought our 69 Overlander and towed it to Darkies, the Las Vegas regional, and had a ball.
So now the Bathroom is scattered all over our yard in various stages of refurbishment and time is running out. But the rear sag is fixed, the plumbing is solid and the linoleum for the floor should arrive today.
It will still be a bit rough but it will be there.

Clay
ClayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #163
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Getting Ready

I admire those willing to invest the time and pain to do the work themselves. The last time I did that was putting a Pergo floor in our old 22' 2002 International. That pretty much cured my desire to DIY. (Note to anyone considering such a task....There are very few straight lines in an airstream floor!) It got done and with a very professional appearance but I wore out a chop saw blade and broke a dozen or so scroll saw blades. Not to mention the wear and tear on the knees.

This trip we have added a solar panel and two new Lifeline batteries. The 28 is at the factory now having the solar controller switched out (replaced by the manufacturer) and two additional awnings put in place. That should help a little with the heat on the playa.

Looking forward to checking out everyones handiwork.

Corky and Claudia
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #164
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Anchorage , Alaska
Hi to all. I just joined the forum a couple days ago. My wife and I will ge going to Burning Man this year for the first time. I signed us up on with a YES RSVP on the ralley page. I hope that means we can join the group at BRC. We have reservations at Desert Rose for the night of the 30th and the night of the 8th. We should be easy to spot there - Toyota Tundra and 22' CCD, both with Alaska plates. We are driving down from Anchorage.
Mike Philo
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #165
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Mike, welcome aboard and welcome to Burning Man. Now what was that initiation ceremony for Burner virgins we discussed last year....?

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #166
Rivet Master

Mikep, welcome!
I met people from all over the world at the Burn last year but you'll be the first from Alaska! See you there.
Rich(The Lost Boy/Safety clown)
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 AM   #167
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Mike,

Welcome on board, glad you could join us!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #168
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Welcome Mike! MMMMmmmmm I can taste the smoked salmon already

Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #169
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Oh boy, Newbs! Welcome.
You've got a bit of a drive but it sure is a beautiful one.
I enjoyed it myself a few years back.
Happy travels!

See ya at Desert Rose and beyond.

Laurel (aka Bam)

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #170
1 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. There will be a few other burners from Alaska at BRC this year but no other Airstreams.

In May we installed a couple solar panels, mainly for Burning Man (we are not bringing a generator). So far they are working very well.

In June we went to Alaska's very first regional burn. We had the only Airstream, but the burn was such a small operation - only about 90 participants (plus a couple zillion mosquitoes) - that there were only 2 camp trailers and no Class A's.

We have found some good information by browsing through this forum. There are still plenty of questions, though, so I'll be making more entries to ask for suggestions.

Best to all,
Mike
Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #171
BBQ'd twinkies

1994 25' Excella
Reno , Nevada
Ask away! I think the going rate for answers is smoked salmon or Alaskan Smoked Porter beer (best beer i've ever tasted). OK... answers are free! Looking forward to seeing you there.
KimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #172
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
las vegas , Nevada
Well, I read the burning man website as well as other sites, and I still don't get a good grasp of what this event is all about. It kind of looks like a hippy get together, but I could be completely wrong.

Since I live in Vegas, it's not THAT far to drive, and since I'm a U.C. Berkeley alum, I should be used to tie dies, bongs, nudity and such, but I personally dislike such things very much, plus I have a couple of small kids (3 and 6) and nudity wouldn't very appropriate for them.

So what is it REALLY like out there??

2009 Airstream 25' International CCD
lvcat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #173
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Quote:
but I personally dislike such things very much
Probably not worth the trip then.

pics here ****-yeah.org fill in with your favorite 4 letter word, or not

to see what it is REALLY like, you must attend, no one will tell.

Richard
rv swag

Old 07-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #174
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard77 View Post

to see what it is REALLY like, you must attend, no one will tell.

Richard
rv swag
It's kind of like they say about the Sixties: "If you remember it, you probably weren't there"

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #175
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
ivcat2004

I gave this some thought before replying.

If there is an ounce of truth to your disdain for "such things". I suggest you stay home and leave the depravity to the experts (or those willing to be swayed). Although I have seen children at the Burn, I do not feel it is a suitable environment for anyone too impressionable regardless their age.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong, but I haven't been wrong for several hours now.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #176
1 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Ivcat2004

There are a couple of media sources that my wife and I found very helpful to us as first-timers.

One is the DVD "Burning Man (Beyond Black Rock)" - we got it through Netflix. The other is a book entitled, "Burning Book: A Visual History of Burning Man" by Jessica Bruder. The book is what hooked me, and we have watched the DVD countless times. Maybe one or both would be helpful to you, too. Good luck.

Mike
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #177
1 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Footprint at BRC

I am a bit concerned about how large our footprint will be at BRC. Besides truck and Airstream (22') we hope to set up a shade structure that is 12 x 12 canopy w/ a tarp over it. Are we getting space-greedy?

Another concern we have is what - if anything - we should do to reduce or eliminate dust blowing into the exterior vents. Do any of you take any precautions with your vents?

(KimW - You have excellent taste in beer; I really like the porter, too. Your note inspired me to put it on our list of stuff to bring - we'll have one with your name on it.)

Mike
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #178
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
las vegas , Nevada
Well, I got to see some pics and now have a better idea of what the place looks like at least in appearance.

I think it's not for us You guys have a good time this year

2009 Airstream 25' International CCD
lvcat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #179
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
A lot of people do bring children and there is a whole section for families and kids.
I wouldn't bring little ones though because it is VERY hot, dusty, windy, and loud.
In a "city" of almost 50,000 there is something for everyone from miniature golf and
roller disco, AA meetings and plenty of bars, anti-cancer and recycling camps, crazy
art cars and costumed people, big art and loud music and everything else in between.
There will likely be some hippies, some frat boys, families, freaks, and people in khaki shorts.
Whatever you are looking for you will probably find it.
But again, it's not for everyone.
If you have visited the web site, read the guide, and are still hesitant, it's probably best to pass.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #180
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
tape over the door or window edges that don't have good seals, but you have to allow for ventillation 16 hours a day. It's only hot from 11 AM to 6-7 PM. And even then, you really only button up when the dust is blowing, which can be 2-4 hours each afternoon. Surprisingly, you can survive inside a buttoned up Airstream with a good fan, not air conditioning--the dust storm reduces the solar load so a small breeze will keep you sane.

The evenings and mornings are terrific--sometimes it's so cool at night you need a jacket and a blanket.

Zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
I am a bit concerned about how large our footprint will be at BRC. Besides truck and Airstream (22') we hope to set up a shade structure that is 12 x 12 canopy w/ a tarp over it. Are we getting space-greedy?

Another concern we have is what - if anything - we should do to reduce or eliminate dust blowing into the exterior vents. Do any of you take any precautions with your vents?

(KimW - You have excellent taste in beer; I really like the porter, too. Your note inspired me to put it on our list of stuff to bring - we'll have one with your name on it.)

Mike

Tags
artstream, burning man