Old 07-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #113
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Hello all...wow it's July already!

Last year Mark and Perry were kind enough to organize and unofficially hold a big spot for us all to camp.
(They were there early as volunteers. You do need a pass to get in early)
I believe they mentioned that may be a possibility again this year. If so, that would be great.
Our location last year was also a pretty good spot...close but not too close to everything.

Once the layout is announced we can all confirm where we will try to set up.
Last year they expanded the layout so there was a lot of room.
Rumor has it that the layout this year will go back to the 2007 smaller layout
which may mean that we are packed in a little tighter.

When is everyone arriving? I'll bee there Monday VERY early.

Looking forward to seeing you all...and your new rig Kim.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Yeah, I guess our machine is so oiled we don't have anything to say! Not.
Lots of fun lookin Mutant Vehicles applications in the works at DMV, some 200 plus apps still for the DMV to process. Last day for the Mutant apps was June 30. This year there do seem to be a lot of Fred Flintstone cars in the works. and a lot of Gene Pool cars with the same name, diff cars tho. Some year maybe we'll come up with a MV ourselves. (Gotta be Mutated, Whimsical. public interaction is a plus,) They frown on levitation cars for some reason. And we really hate GCc/S (visible golf carts underneath.) Evolve

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #115
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Burning man 2009

My wife and I will be going to Burning Man for the first time this year. We will be taking our '71 Safari and camping with several friends who have been there previously. If we didn't have this connection of friends to go with we would have been interested in joining your rally. I do have a few questions for any of you Airstreamers that are experienced Burners. My wife and I have extensive "boondock" camping experience in the Great Basin areas of Nevada and SE Oregon. We've even camped at the Black Rock Desert, in July 1998. However, our experiences on the playas of the Alvord Desert (Oregon) and the Black Rock were without an Airstream. My questions are;

- I am familiar with the type of dust storms the playa can generate but have never had my Airstream in one. Any words of wisdom regarding the impact of playa dust on an Airstream? Recommended cleaning procedures once home?

- Interested in hearing how successful any of you were with gray water evaporation. My '71 does not have a gray water tank. I have 2 11 gallon dollies and plan on bringing a sufficient number of recycled 5 gallon cooking oil containers to carry out all the fresh water I bring in. However, I want to experiment with the evaporation method of disposal. I'm a bit skeptical of how much water I could evaporate during the course of the week without having major square footage devoted to the task.

- We do not have an awning on our Safari and am interested in any creative suggestions on how to fasten a tarp to it without drilling permanent attachment points to the trailer?

- While I do not plan on having a huge need to draw down my battery juice, I am bringing my Honda 1000 generator. It is a fairly quite unit but I'm interested in hearing if any of you have built simple sound "mufflers" that allow for intake and exhaust?

We are really looking forward to this journey and hopefully I can stop by your encampment once we are there.

Thanks,

TK
Portland, OR.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Burning Man camp location

Again this year a few of us will get early entry to Burning Man by way of volunteering for DMV duty. We usually arrive the Saturday before the opening day and try to find a suitable location for the number of registered attendees. Because we do not know of the exact location of the camp WE WILL IDENTIFY A STREET INTERSECTION a few weeks ahead of time where we will post a sign attached to rebar directing attendees to the camp area. As soon as the Burning Man street map is published we will post the intersection name for the direction sign. (Last year we were in the 3 o'clock area and most likely this year's direction sign will be at an intersection with 3 o'clock. If you depart without internet contact en route, try these intersections.)

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #117
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi TGK,

I have had success with using blue painters tape to seal all the outside compartments door gaps.

Covering the furnace exhaust vent with the above.

Post BM, blowing out the refer compartment with a leaf blower.

The 1000 Honda should serve you well.

See ya on the Playa!

The great humongous
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Burning Man gray water evaporation

My experience with gray water evaporation taught me that a large evaporation "pan" is needed (I used 8'x8') and a shallow water depth not greater than 1/2" is best. Active evaporators with water pumped to the top of a evaporation screen is another way to go. There may be posts on the Burning Man website with more ideas.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #119
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
eckert , Colorado and Mexico
I used an 8x 8 tarp under the rv, it worked ok. I let the grey water drip into it.
Bringing a vacuum and cleaning supplies to clean out the dust Before you start home is ideal, other wise dust will be blowing everywhere. Blow out your radiator and air filter before you travel to far.

It is very windy at times so attaching to the AS takes some thought. BaMcamper used sun sails last year ( shade sails) and a 10x 10 ez up worked good.
Portfolio http://myflash.biz

richard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
My wife and I will be going to Burning Man for the first time this year. ...

- We do not have an awning on our Safari and am interested in any creative suggestions on how to fasten a tarp to it without drilling permanent attachment points to the trailer?

Thanks,

TK
Portland, OR.

TK,

If you have an awning rail on your Safari, take the tarp to an awning repair company or marine canvas repair facility and have them install a spline on one end. The spline will then slide into the awning rail and use poles and ropes on the other side. If you don't have an awning rail then that won't work.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #121
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
TK & all, this will be my 15th burn & have come up with a few things that help with grayh2o, shade attached to AS & keeping things cold.
I'm not familiar with placing attachments to this so send me an email & I'll send you the info w/drawings.

Monte of Burnstream Court
bloojay@snowcrest.net
PS: Burnstream Court will be out in the burbs around 8:00+/-, be sure to stop by!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #122
Richard77

1959 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
eckert , Colorado and Mexico
I'm sure a lot of folks here would be interested in your info and drawings. Send them to me and I'll post them. zgdesignstudio AT gmail DOT com
Portfolio http://myflash.biz

richard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #123
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Grayh2o ~ Shade

I figured out a way to attach 2 of the doc's I was talking about... Grayh2o ~ Shade...
Gray Water Evaporation Pond.doc

Shade Structure Details.doc

Monte
Burnstream Court
Weed CA
Old 07-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #124
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Burning man 2009

Thanks to everyone for the tips, including the blue painters tape, grey water solutions and tarp info. I've got some ideas kicking around and 6 - 7 weeks to pull it all together. One of the ideas I had for the gray water was to pick up several of those shallow black plastic masonry mixing tubs. They nest together nicely for transport and, if I have any gray water left over at the end, they'd be easy to pick up and pour into a container. Just have to see if I can find them cheap enough to make it worthwhile. One other question I meant to add in my original post, was whether any of you have tried dry ice. I understand one has to be careful about what one stores with it as the gas can penetrate some containers and screw up the food. One thought I had is to put conventional ice in with dry ice to make it last longer and, once the ice in my main cooler melts off, pull some of the regular ice out of the dry ice cooler?

We're looking forward to this venture and perhaps we will be able to stop and say hi once we get there.

TK
Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #125
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Refers 'n Coolers

Here's an attachment about keeping food/drink cold on the playa...
Refers 'n Coolers...
Refers & Coolers.pdf

Monte
Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #126
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Just keep in mind that it can (and usually does) get VERY windy at times.
Last year my string of solar lights (that I had used for several years prior)
got ripped to shreds by the wind.

Make sure what you use for shade is pretty heavy duty.

And BTW, the dust is soft and doesn't damage anything...it just gets into EVERYTHING.
Take out a lot of the stored stuff and leave everything you don't really need for this week at home.

I also cover my upholstery with blankets so my dusty friends can freely lounge in my lounge.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artstream, burning man