Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Trust me, you want me to remain fully clothed. (Though the skirt and pearls only idea HAD occurred to me) . I just keep getting this whole June Cleaver handing out sugar cookies to the natives while slugging back a gin and tonic and smoking a Lucky Strike. I have a slightly warped view of the world. Please forgive.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
By the way, my husband is a folk musician and can be convinced to play for large groups if properly bribed. ( You know, like asking him to)

Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunner View Post
Trust me, you want me to remain fully clothed. (Though the skirt and pearls only idea HAD occurred to me) . I just keep getting this whole June Cleaver handing out sugar cookies to the natives while slugging back a gin and tonic and smoking a Lucky Strike. I have a slightly warped view of the world. Please forgive.
I can bring cookies.
And I already have an apron
and cocktails.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Bozeman , Montana
I like the retro ‘60’s theme, especially because our ‘67 Caravel is retro ‘60’s. If the thinking is to become a registered theme camp it seems there are several things an “official” theme camp is obligated to do. I wonder if perhaps the time and effort involved to make a theme camp work, may have played a part in the decision by Burnstream Court not to be a theme camp last year.
Seems like a theme camp means hosting others who will be stopping by at specific times for some form of libation or entertainment. Check out the bm theme camp info: Burning Man: Theme Camps
Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #33
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Yes, there is a bit of work involved if you want to be an "official" theme camp.

It would require some time and effort...Rick? Michael? Paul? Mark? Perry? Anyone?
Ridgerunner? (sorry I don't know your actual name )
I kind of have my hands full right now but would be glad to help.

I would also be available to come early and help set up.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm Carol. I would love to be of some use but I can't commit until closer to time. We are jazzed to be there but we have to come up with some brilliant money making scheme between now and then.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #35

2008 19' Bambi
Reno , Nevada
Hi all!!! We are sooo excited to return again this year. This is our thrird year but it will be our second with you all. We hope the big sign will be there as an identifier so we can find everyone again. We plan on staying a full week this time. If you guys want to be an theme camp that's fine with us. I''ll barbeque the twinkies again and do a pot luck night. We had impromptu pot lucks last time that were a ton of fun!! Can't wait to see you all! A possible theme could be "Silver twinkie's Lost in Space..."
Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #36
BBQ'd twinkies

1994 25' Excella
Reno , Nevada
Hi Guys, OK. I logged in properly this time. Shinyperson above is a post that's really Kim & David. Sooooo "Silver Twinkies Lost in Space" theme camp? Whavetever is fine with us! We will be there for the whole week. I can plan a pot luck! Can't wait to see you all again! Hey Nitwit will you guys be there again?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
It'll probalby be close to the same address we had in 08, possibly a little closer to 3:00. (We have friends in high places). Lets plan on keeping it simple and not burn anybody out until it takes off. (I've heard a rumor about a possible bar next door we could be invited to)

Hi yall

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #38
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
It'll probalby be close to the same address we had in 08, possibly a little closer to 3:00. (We have friends in high places). Lets plan on keeping it simple and not burn anybody out until it takes off. (I've heard a rumor about a possible bar next door we could be invited to)
Hi yall
Nice that you have friends in high places!
Sounds like a perfect spot.

Last year worked really well by keeping it casual, having our early crew there to rope off our area (thanks guys!), and having one scheduled potluck with lots of impromptu gatherings. Maybe this year we could leave some space in the middle (we had plenty last year) and set up some games or activities if anyone feels like it.

Simple works great!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I am mulling the idea over of coming to BM this year. I have read all I can so far about the past years and the total experience I will get there.
My question is about the AS itself? Does the sand (windstorms) do any damage to the finish of the trailer's exterior? Are there any facilities such as showers available? Also, no grey water on the ground, correct? Thanks in advance.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Do I get extrea credit if I bring my UNUSED ticket from last year?

Once again, I am planning to attend, but it will be a repeat fight against the forces of evil (as in, work) in order to do so. I definitely do not want to start a collection of unused tickets...

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #41
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
My question is about the AS itself? Does the sand (windstorms) do any damage to the finish of the trailer's exterior? Are there any facilities such as showers available? Also, no grey water on the ground, correct? Thanks in advance.
Well, not really. The dust is so fine that it does nothing. But it does get everywhere. It is slightly alkali and some have suggested that washing your trailer with something like oxalic acid will help neutralize that without damaging the finish. A small amount of citric acid would also work - weakly diluted in your soapy water.
The dust gets everywhere and into everything. So that is something you have to be prepared for.
The concept of Burning Man involves radical self reliance and also Leave no Trace. So as for showers, if you don't bring it out, you may not get to use it. The only facilities available are the Porta Potties. I have used a portable shower tent and a bucket of sun warmed water before. Then you have to haul away or find a way to evaporate that water. But basically, you pack it in, you pack it out.
The only things you can buy out there is Ice and Coffee.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Zep, please unload your unused tickets if that happens to you again. Craigslist is awesome for that, and we heard of some people buying tickets on thursday and friday the week of the event just to come for a day or two.
Silverhobby, there is lots of info on burningman.com about how to get by for the week. read the survival guide and heloise of the playa for very good info. the "sand" at Blackrock City is actually very fine particles, more like flour than sand. It is mildly abrasive, but only causes scratches if you wipe it or lean against it. I would suggest not trying to remove any of the dust until you have access to a carwash brush and some vinegar. The vinegar changes the acidity of the dust and helps get it off of the surface with minimal brushing. I plan on making some kind of mudroom to keep the dust out of my Safari, as much as possible. Grey water can be left in a evaporation pan to evap during the day. That is pretty standard there.
Leave no mark.
Thanks, Rich

Tags
artstream, burning man