Old 09-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #323
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
...I'm guessing it's not Stingray's event...and that's okay too. There are plenty of others.

I always find it interesting that people who haven't been have so many opinions about it...
Just sayin'...
Translation: We don't want you there, square.

I agree with you, Bam, people do have opinions about things they've never experienced.....The Balkans, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Military in general are excellent examples.

I took your advice and went to the website to learn about BM. I also looked at well over 1,000 pictures that were taken from last year's event... some of the people in the pictures reminded me of the people at the airport protesting us, when we came home from Kosovo. They screamed at us and called us names I won't repeat here. They tried to spit on us. My very dry sense of humor allowed me to chuckle at them, but I understood how my predecessors felt, when they came home from Vietnam.

I'm not condemning BM by any stretch of the imagination...if anything, my questions, which apparently have been construed as opinions, are asked in order to get a better understanding of the event, which will make up my mind about going. I have a very open mind, when it comes to certain things.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #324
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Fred - you can camp with us. I think you DO get it. If not with us, I can recommend some camps and/or locations where you will be more than welcome.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #325
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Translation: We don't want you there, square.
Nah...that's not it. I would say our Airstream Camp was pretty square this year. And there are plenty of "square" camps at Burning Man...anti-cancer, AA, recycling, sock monkey making, silkscreening T-shirts, learning how to Tango, miniature golf...whatever.

But again there are also a lot of very "far out" (to some) and very adult camps as well.

I don't want to beat the proverbial dead horse here, but it really isn't everyone's cup of tea. The conditions are harsh, the community is unique, the music is LOUD 24/7 and just when you think you've seen it all, something will come around the corner to prove to you that you haven't.

A joy for some and annoying to others.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #326
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I tell very few people that they should come to this event. I tell a lot of people to go to the website and read and look at pics, and then make a decision about weather this is their cup of tea, then we can talk some more.
There are camps of all kinds there so you can find something to suit you, but you will see ALL kinds of things there, so if you are squeamish or very conservative you will be shocked and maybe disturbed by it. If you see yourself as an open-minded person, this might be right up your alley.
Rich
Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #327
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
LOL!!!!! How much harsher than the Middle East desert can Nevada be? The temps on a cool day are 105*, the Howitzers are loud 24/7 and the Middle Easterners are some of the most unique folks I've met. As far as squeamish goes, I'm pretty sure that, if I can stomach digging up bodies out of mass graves, I can handle a bunch of people getting their freak on. Like I said, I'm only fiscally conservative.

Tim, I'd love to be your guys' guest.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #328
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post

Tim, I'd love to be your guys' guest.
That's fine, but we are going to put you to work! Gotta build the camp and help run the bar. Talk about some freaky people! Bar Flies!!!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #329
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Well, I've gotta helluva lot of practice putting up tents. As far as running the bar, if I can't mix it, Mr. Boston will direct me. We had a bar on every single deployment I've ever been on.

When I was in Vietnam in 1998, I drank something called Cuc Loi (pronounced Kookloi)...it's a Vietnamese rice whiskey, flavored with ox blood and cobra venom. The really expensive bottles ($7) have a cobra coiled up inside.

If you've never had it before, one shot of it will render you blind for the night. The hangover will make you wish you were dead. I had to stick myself and empty four IV bags in my veins, just to make the pain go away.

Good times, good times.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #330
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
We served much tamer blends & shots...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #331
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanclan View Post
I had a terrible experience with the BRC DMV this year. If you saw my posters protesting them, or heard me in center camp with my megaphone you already know my story. I've increased my participation over the last 7 years only to be DENIED a permit for an art car that I spent over $1000 on and 100 hours of my time. Why? TOTALLY subjective reasons. Your personal expression will be judged if you submit an application for a permit. I only got more pissed when I saw my actual art car (that I ended up selling) out on the playa with a handicap permit.

If you take a look around at the mutant vehicles you'll see some that will BLOW YOU AWAY with the amount of creativity involved. You will also be UNDERWHELMED by several of the golf carts running around. This will make you convinced you can do it too. Just be aware that you might get shot down like I did.
Just a few clarifications on the DMV. 1) Disabled folks with a valid state disability placard with paperwork are given a disabled sticker, no questions on what HUMVEE or artcar they present. We're always impressed at the lengths most disabled will go to to fulfill the DMV written specifications for an art car. 2) Art is not judged at the DMV. There are specifications spelled out, in the application forms, that spell out what will be accepted for a DMV sticker to drive ion the Bureal of Land Management property that Black Rock City is built on. 3) Vehicles with the appearance of a golf cart covered with s.... are almost never accepted. Look for a disabled sticker, high participatory interaction, a stolen sticker, no sticker. If not, report it to a ranger or the DMV.
4) No one is paid at the DMV, its all done with volunteer help. They'll be accepting volunteer applications soon, processing mutant vehicle applications usually start around June. Processing sessions sometimes argue the mutation efforts, what is the intent of the mutation, how many times has this applicant been told to upgrade their mutation, where's any photos, was there any feed back from the Rangers on this vehicle, for close to an hour per application. Over 1000 applications, about 800 were sent the invitation to come to the playa, LEO wanted only 500 on the playa, so the DMV was very strict on whether the vehicle presented followed the intent of the application. Don't even think about presenting a GCCWS next year.
The fun little event on the playa has gotten that far into Beurocracy Land already, sad but its true. You could go to the BLM and ask them to change.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #332
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Sorry class, just now getting to read all the hornets nest I stirred up. 1) First, Stingray, don't believe a word anyone tells you about the Black Rock City. Try not to associate past with picts of the burn. You can find whatever you want to find, or can do the whole week and not see anything. Personally, I haven't seen drugs but I don't look for them. (You will probably smell something once in a while out on the playa.)
2) If you look at the posts on this thread alone of those that have been to the burn, you'll see one heck of a range of personalities. Quite a few of our camp have some type of security clearance or a similar conservative job. Airtraffic controllers, engineers and CCW carriers, to the other end.
3) Tutu Tuesdays are becoming almost mandatory.
4) I think I'll reject that art car again just on normal meanness. (Actually don't have a clue what that vehicle was, anybody know what the app number was, I might beable to look it up and see what happened.) But we are cautioned that lots of folks don't understand that humor, or overhear something backwards and repeat it.
5) Sorry some folks have met the required quota of poor people handlers out there. I've had extremely good times at the gate and its a highlite of the year to yell LUCY, I'M HOME!! but on exodus, differnt story.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #333
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
" if the intolerance I've seen from onemanclan is any indication of what life at BM is like, then I might just pass."

I cannot believe what I'm reading. I'm "intolerant" because I gave someone a tiny bit of grief about not reading an article??? Even though I called him "my friend" in the post? Hmm.

Stingray thinks that he'll pass on BM, well I think I'm going to pass on this forum. I'll be a 'lurker' in order to find help in the archive for my Airstream repairs, but if posting at this website results in this kind of misunderstanding then I'm out. Respond all you'd like, I'm unsubscribing from this thread.

I have a family member that works for the BLM. Not just a lackey, someone in a high position of authority. BM is NOT limited to how many vehicles they can grant permits to. THEY WANT you to think so because it's easier to deny permits. Ask yourself, what is the difference between a regular permit and the exemptions? They all have to meet safety guidelines, lighting guidelines, and certain procedural guidelines. After that the differences are purely subjective (whether or not they deem it cool enough).

I fit into the BRC community pretty well. I've made lots of friends and made life long memories. Too bad this community isn't a good fit. Take care everyone, and thanks in advance for all the stuff in your archives.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #334
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
C'mon kids...play nice.
Maybe you need to hydrate.
It's a big playa out there with room for everyone and anyone who wants to go.
And it's a big forum here...with room for lots of opinions.

Maybe the debate about the DMV should be back channeled to PM's for those involved.

Meanwhile back at BRC, lets start a thread about possibilities for Burning Man 2010.
If you aren't going to go, or hate the idea, jump on a different rally thread.

Life is too short.

Cheerios,
Bam

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #335
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Can we move on from the 'tolerance vs. intolerance' circle and get to the pictures of nekkid women at Burning Man?
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #336
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I'm afraid that wouldn't be tolerated by our dear moderator.
How about almost nekkid women?

Tags
artstream, burning man