Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
We're in!

What is a long drive through the desert for most of you is a short relocation (less than 2 hours) from one desert to another for us!

If you come through Barstow or Victorville, Hwy 247 to Hwy 62 (Yucca Valley) is good for towing. From Yucca Valley to I-10 (south) there are some moderate grades (down heading south). No big deal if the weather is good. If you go west on Hwy 62, it's all four or two lane highway, but no significant grades. It will take a little longer than going via I-10, but you will get to "experience" more open desert.

If you get stuck, break down, or have any issues on Hwy 62 and need some help, give me a ring. If I haven't left yet, I'll lend a hand.

-Jason
jmpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Geocaching

Also, for those who are interested, go to geocaching.com to see what's hidden in the area.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
One more thing...

For those who want to do some more sight seeing before or after geode hunting, Joshua Tree National park is a great place. They have a couple places that will fit 30' or less trailers. I think it is better to enter from the north side (Hwy 62). Well worth a visit if you have time.

If you go via Palm Springs, take the aerial tram to the top of the the mountain for a day trip. There might still be some snow there in March. There is room to park a trailer in the lower parking lots.
Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Jason,
Glad to hear you're going. We won't know if we can until much later. John wants to know you're healed up or if you're typing with a pencil in your mouth.

BTW, I removed the 70's antenna from the top of the AS yesterday. The old mount looked like a perfect spot to pack a hang glider.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
Jason,
Glad to hear you're going. We won't know if we can until much later. John wants to know you're healed up or if you're typing with a pencil in your mouth.

BTW, I removed the 70's antenna from the top of the AS yesterday. The old mount looked like a perfect spot to pack a hang glider.

I'm all healed up, but I make Beth type for me out of principle! I'm too important to actually type on a keyboard.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpratt View Post
For those who want to do some more sight seeing before or after geode hunting, Joshua Tree National park is a great place. They have a couple places that will fit 30' or less trailers. I think it is better to enter from the north side (Hwy 62). Well worth a visit if you have time.

If you go via Palm Springs, take the aerial tram to the top of the the mountain for a day trip. There might still be some snow there in March. There is room to park a trailer in the lower parking lots.
Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
Agreed. Of the 19 National Parks I've visited, Joshua Tree is actually in my top 5. Something about the rock formations and layout is just so incredible to me. If coming in on I-10, there are still a couple really neat things to see, especially if you are interested in a medium to long hike. The first is Lost Palms Oasis, 7.4 miles RT, and can be extended with bouldering and trailfinding to reach the least visited Oases in the park through Munsen canyon and Summit springs to Victory Palms Oasis. If the idea of routefinding appeals to you, you can follow a GPS route up a set of desert washes to Carey's Castle, a little hidden gem where a miner built a hidden home under a large boulder.

And don't forget to visit the rest of the park at some point, those are simply the hikes right off of I-10.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Rally Calendar

On another note, I've added this event to the rally calendar here in case you would like to RSVP. It would be helpful to get a good headcount now that a decent number of people are coming.

Boondocking for Geodes

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
We were thinking about coming down for this event with our AS. We both love rockhounding and this is right up our alley. We would like to invite our friend who also has a trailer but is not an Airstream. It's actually an old 13' Perris fiberglass pod...shaped like an AS but white instead of silver. Would this be a problem? She is a lot of fun and a great cook!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
We were thinking about coming down for this event with our AS. We both love rockhounding and this is right up our alley. We would like to invite our friend who also has a trailer but is not an Airstream. It's actually an old 13' Perris fiberglass pod...shaped like an AS but white instead of silver. Would this be a problem? She is a lot of fun and a great cook!
No of course it's not a problem. The more the merrier. The 5 or 6 friends who will be coming with me jus have tents and no airstream so it will be a "mixed group" anyway!

I'm interested in checking out this FiberStream you speak of.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

We've stayed at Willie Well's a couple of times after leaving Quartzsite, nice boomdocking. The last time we were there which was a couple of years ago they did still have a hand pump you could pump water from. We also dug for fire agate near by, and found a few just lying on the ground. Watch out for snakes that time of the year. We used our ATV and did alot of riding while there.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
We are in! Anyone else planning on being there on Thursday?

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwifey View Post
We are in! Anyone else planning on being there on Thursday?
FYI We'll be there late Thursday, but if it is getting really late, we will probably just stop at Cottonwood in JTree instead, because then we could get a quick early morning hike in before driving the last hour.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
We will probably be there Wednesday or Thursday...of course it may be Friday too if we see something we want to do on the way!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
FYI We'll be there late Thursday, but if it is getting really late, we will probably just stop at Cottonwood in JTree instead, because then we could get a quick early morning hike in before driving the last hour.
I'm not familiar with Joshua Tree Nat. Park campgrounds. Is it easy to find a spot (25' trailer) on a Thursday? How hard would it be to get parked late and night, in the dark? Gears turning here when you mentioned that hike. Hmmmm.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We are going to try and make the trip (work permitting). Any idea how long it would take to get there from LAX on a Friday leaving around 2:00 pm? If we left by 3:00 would we get there before sunset? Becky thinks she could be home Friday between 12:00 and 1:00, but.......
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post

I'm not familiar with Joshua Tree Nat. Park campgrounds. Is it easy to find a spot (25' trailer) on a Thursday? How hard would it be to get parked late and night, in the dark? Gears turning here when you mentioned that hike. Hmmmm.
Thursday, no problem at all. If it was a Friday or Saturday you would be stuck with leftovers, meaning you might not get a good length. But Thursday, the place will be practically empty. It is only 15 minutes off of I-10 to the campground, there are 62 first come sites, $15 each, and they even have water.

We would probably do some hike to the lost palms oasis and mastodon peak around 8am and then head out again. Others are welcome to join.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
We are going to try and make the trip (work permitting). Any idea how long it would take to get there from LAX on a Friday leaving around 2:00 pm? If we left by 3:00 would we get there before sunset? Becky thinks she could be home Friday between 12:00 and 1:00, but.......
I think those two times will make a huge difference in terms of total trip time. At 2pm, you are probably still sneaking out the 60 or 91 before it becomes a nightmare. But if you haven't passed Ontario or corona by 3pm on a Friday I would add at least an hour to whatever google estimate. I am also putting together a map of the area with instructions on how to get to the campground so that anybody who arrives after dark can actually make it in, in case that helps with the decision.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Looks like we'll be stopping well before Joshua Tree on Thursday night. The current plan is to get to Inland RV in Corona on Friday morning to pick up a well needed AC shroud (and avoid large item shipping charges). So we'll likely be spending the night somewhere between Bakersfield and San Berdoo. Any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Reminder of First come, first serve Campground

I just wanted to reiterate something I posted earlier because ever since I put together a rally ad, I have been getting a few more questions regarding the campground specifics:

"If you mean can you just show up, or do you need to make reservations/ etc, this is a very simple boondocking campground, so no reservations are needed/ possible. This presents an inherent risk to trying to organize it as a "formal" rally, which is why this is just a camping adventure. If there isn't room, we can split the group over to a nearby Coon Hollow campground, and if that fails, there's always true boondocking in the desert (which is legal here and not much different than the "campground"). From conversation with the ranger office, there should be plenty of sites available this time of year. "

I will add instructions to the flyer that I mentioned previously which will have:
1. Directions from I-10 to Wiley's Well (15 sites)
2. Directions from Wiley's Well to Coon Hollow which we will use for overflow (29 sites)
3. Directions to the primary geode beds that we will use on Saturday.
4. My contact information (which may or may not work depending upon reception).

Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Hemet , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Looks like we'll be stopping well before Joshua Tree on Thursday night. The current plan is to get to Inland RV in Corona on Friday morning to pick up a well needed AC shroud (and avoid large item shipping charges). So we'll likely be spending the night somewhere between Bakersfield and San Berdoo. Any suggestions?
We have not camped here but I Googled RV places near Corona and found Reche Canyon RV Park. Website is "rechecanyonrv.com"

It looks / sounds to be just fine, with spaces for overnighting.
AND, it is just a couple miles SE from Inland RV in Corona. Close by Friday morning, pick up item, head east while the traffic is going west!!!

We live in Hemet and have traveled to Inland RV many times in the past and driven the freeways there and know them well.

OBTW, we may be heading out to Wiley Well as well...have dug geodes there also many years ago. We'd go there early, maybe even Wednesday, and stay a day or two later. Or not. Maybe go elsewhere after, who knows?
"The key to flexibility is indecision"
GoldFever is offline   Reply With Quote