Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Excellent! Maybe I'll get there in the morning and park perpendicular to the entrance to save us the campground...

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Putting away things in the garage and found my buckets of geodes from last time. Attached is a picture showing the variety in sizes. The two large ones in the back haven't been cut yet. I'm going to use a proper saw for those two, and all of the other ones bigger than an apple
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1969845852.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	177100  

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
Since everyday is a Saturday, for me, I think that I will come down early as well. A long drive, but looking forward to it.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Hi all,
I'm chiming in on this thread just to stay up to date on the plans. If we can make it, it would likely be fairly last minute. This sounds like a ton of fun and it's definitely something we always talked about doing.

Cheers to you all!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
I'm in . Always up for a campout .
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Wow, I just found this thread Peter! I think we're in, but will have to wait until we get a little closer to March to know for sure. We can bring digging equipment also, and as I'm pretty sure my burst of manual labor won't last more than 20-30 minutes, we can share... We always have our generator so if anyone wants to bring power tools for slicing & dicing, that will be fun.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
We're in!

What is a long drive through the desert for most of you is a short relocation (less than 2 hours) from one desert to another for us!

If you come through Barstow or Victorville, Hwy 247 to Hwy 62 (Yucca Valley) is good for towing. From Yucca Valley to I-10 (south) there are some moderate grades (down heading south). No big deal if the weather is good. If you go west on Hwy 62, it's all four or two lane highway, but no significant grades. It will take a little longer than going via I-10, but you will get to "experience" more open desert.

If you get stuck, break down, or have any issues on Hwy 62 and need some help, give me a ring. If I haven't left yet, I'll lend a hand.

-Jason
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Geocaching

Also, for those who are interested, go to geocaching.com to see what's hidden in the area.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
One more thing...

For those who want to do some more sight seeing before or after geode hunting, Joshua Tree National park is a great place. They have a couple places that will fit 30' or less trailers. I think it is better to enter from the north side (Hwy 62). Well worth a visit if you have time.

If you go via Palm Springs, take the aerial tram to the top of the the mountain for a day trip. There might still be some snow there in March. There is room to park a trailer in the lower parking lots.
Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Jason,
Glad to hear you're going. We won't know if we can until much later. John wants to know you're healed up or if you're typing with a pencil in your mouth.

BTW, I removed the 70's antenna from the top of the AS yesterday. The old mount looked like a perfect spot to pack a hang glider.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
Jason,
Glad to hear you're going. We won't know if we can until much later. John wants to know you're healed up or if you're typing with a pencil in your mouth.

BTW, I removed the 70's antenna from the top of the AS yesterday. The old mount looked like a perfect spot to pack a hang glider.

I'm all healed up, but I make Beth type for me out of principle! I'm too important to actually type on a keyboard.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpratt View Post
For those who want to do some more sight seeing before or after geode hunting, Joshua Tree National park is a great place. They have a couple places that will fit 30' or less trailers. I think it is better to enter from the north side (Hwy 62). Well worth a visit if you have time.

If you go via Palm Springs, take the aerial tram to the top of the the mountain for a day trip. There might still be some snow there in March. There is room to park a trailer in the lower parking lots.
Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
Agreed. Of the 19 National Parks I've visited, Joshua Tree is actually in my top 5. Something about the rock formations and layout is just so incredible to me. If coming in on I-10, there are still a couple really neat things to see, especially if you are interested in a medium to long hike. The first is Lost Palms Oasis, 7.4 miles RT, and can be extended with bouldering and trailfinding to reach the least visited Oases in the park through Munsen canyon and Summit springs to Victory Palms Oasis. If the idea of routefinding appeals to you, you can follow a GPS route up a set of desert washes to Carey's Castle, a little hidden gem where a miner built a hidden home under a large boulder.

And don't forget to visit the rest of the park at some point, those are simply the hikes right off of I-10.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Rally Calendar

On another note, I've added this event to the rally calendar here in case you would like to RSVP. It would be helpful to get a good headcount now that a decent number of people are coming.

Boondocking for Geodes

Old 02-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
We were thinking about coming down for this event with our AS. We both love rockhounding and this is right up our alley. We would like to invite our friend who also has a trailer but is not an Airstream. It's actually an old 13' Perris fiberglass pod...shaped like an AS but white instead of silver. Would this be a problem? She is a lot of fun and a great cook!