Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
I'm here. Easy drive down from Wentzville after getting my brakes adjusted at Bill Thomas and a trailer tire repaired at the place next door. Same tire that picked up a nail in NM last December got another. How lucky can you get? Both were very slow leaks so didn't cause any major problem. Looks like there might be a bit of rain heading this way. Maybe it'll cool things off a bit. Everyone have a safe trip!
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
AIR Midwest Black River Rendezvous

My plan was to arrive this afternoon, but problems with my elderly father have delayed me. His failing health is one reason that I am not attending the International this year - - I am averaging two or three trips per week to the assisted living center where he now resides. Unless something major happens between now and tomorrow noon, I should be on the road by noon tomorrow . . .

Kevin.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
We have made it as far as Mountain Grove, MO. A 2 or 3 hour drive and we will be there fairly early tomorrow. Looking forward to staying put for a few days with no driving.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #44

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Were going to have to cancel. I've got to do a project to do for work. Have a drink for us.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Y'all have a great time this weekend, hope we can do this one with grandchildren next year.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
So far we have had a group field trip to the Elephant Rocks, a little grocery shopping followed by some nice splashing in the creek. Most of us now are chilling in the AC waiting for the rest of the group to show up this evening. Be warned if you are coming down here. It is VERY hot!
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
AIR Midwest Black River Rendezvous

Plans didn't pan out for me. My father's health isn't good and he has been having spells such that I can't be away from home for more than a few hours as the facility where he is living calls me so often. I am certainly going to miss being able to attend this rally as I have heard so much about this campground and surrounding area. I am certain that I will be missing a great rally!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Another great rally compliments of Steve & Amy. Hope everyone got home safely. I'm at Long Branch SP in Macon, MO on a completely shaded spot and will be here the next couple of days. Will head out on Tuesday for Points North.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I want one of Steve's jalapeno armadillo egg things. And I want to see pictures please!!!! We are sorry we are stuck at home much more these days but we really enjoy keeping up with the rally threads and living vicariously through all the happy campers!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
My memories of float trips on the Black River are full of racing water, warm shallow rapids, coooold deep swimming holes, BIG boulders looming beneath us as we'd paddle overhead, shady cool spots leading onto long sunny hot stretches...summer day on a Missouri stream! We hope you all had a grand time, lots of ac to cool down with, great company and food to match ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Cosmotini and I caravanned down to the rally after lunch on Friday. Great campground with spacious sites for an RV Park. And the best part - the rate is only a few dollars more than a Missouri State Park.

Soon after we got set up the hot and humid atmosphere popped up some spot thunderstorms.

Big Creek RV Park is right on Big Creek. The water was low and the creek bed is solid rock.

An old wagon road crossed Big Creek where the campground is today. The pioneers carved ruts into the river bed so that the wagons wouldn't get pushed sideways on the slippery rock when the current was faster.

The RV Park was close to several great Missouri State Parks and a few of us chose to visit Elephant Rocks State Park to see the massive red granite dome that was quarried to build the streets and many buildings in the city of St. Louis.

There's nothing better than the variety offered by a potluck dinner. The RV Park had a very nice air conditioned room for our use.

The RV Park was just built in 2008 and opened in March of 2009. The trees need a few years before they start providing shade. I think I had the only shady site in the park and the heat index was over 100 degrees. The electric grid got a workout and voltage stayed plentiful even with all the air conditioners running non-stop.

It cooled off just enough to enjoy a small fire on Saturday evening.

Sunrise on the pasture across the road.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice pictures, Steve! Looks like a great weekend in a perfect hot-weather spot.

Maggie
Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Thanks for posting the pictures Steve. We somehow managed to leave our camera in the truck most of the weekend.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elephant rocks, rally, southern missouri