Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #225
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2air'
... after a while the raccoons seem to ignore all insults, having learned that they present no real threat....
thanks 4 reading 2 the end aiechen...

but read that last sentence again.

the insults present no real threat to the raccoons...

at THIS rally the raccoons are know to carry off small children in broad daylight...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/290493-post197.html

although with 60+ humans and 40 dogs we just might outnumber them...

cheers
2air'

btw it might be fun/useful 2 take a look at last years rally thread...photos and all!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ast-24745.html

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #226
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
This seems way off topic, but I am attending the rally, following this fascinating and educational thread, and know some of you have traveled throughout Oregon... so....:

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to which is a better route:
I am heading from Eureka, CA to Portland, OR and would like to stay on the coast as long as possible- is 20 to Corvalis a good option? My trip is the first week in September. (Of course with the Airstream)

Thanks in advance!!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #227
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
This seems way off topic, but I am attending the rally, following this fascinating and educational thread, and know some of you have traveled throughout Oregon... so....:

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to which is a better route:
I am heading from Eureka, CA to Portland, OR and would like to stay on the coast as long as possible- is 20 to Corvalis a good option? My trip is the first week in September. (Of course with the Airstream)

Thanks in advance!!
In a word yes. HWY 18 from Lincoln City is crowded and is one of the most accident prone HWY's in Oregon.

HWY 18 is good if you want to do some stops at wineries. But if you aren't interested in that at this time I would by-pass it and take US 20.

US 20 from Newport is a better choice. The best and most direct route to I-5 from Newport is US 20 to OR 34 to I-5. Then it is about a hour and a half to Portland up the freeway. If you want you can continue up the coast to OR 6 or to OR 53. But add another half day (at least) to your travels for that. The roads are very curvy and take some time to navigate. You could go all the way up and take US 30 up the Columbia River too ! Just my .02 !
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #228
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Redmond , Washington
Send a message via AIM to JMoy
Axle replacement

We picked up Sterling yesterday from his axle replacement. We went with the Henschen axle from Inland RV. It is quite a difference from the ols original axle. For one, it sits about 5 inches taller. We struggled with doing this or not. It is real easy to see now that we really needed to replace it. One less worry on my mind!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #229
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Banks , Oregon
Tanya,

Chris is right about Hwy. 18. Probably not a bad idea to avoid it. If you have the time, Hwy 6 out of Tillamook isn't a bad road to get you to portland. I believe that it is 50 miles from where the highway begins on the Oregon coast to where it links up to Hwy 26 East. It is 25 miles on Hwy 26 to downtown Portland. Hwy 6 is less traveled than 18, but it is windier. Not a bad rout if you take your time though. And you'll get to see more of the Oregon coast that way. By the same tolken, continuing north on the coast, to Hwy 30, you'd get to see even more! Astoria is a neat town! Enjoy your journey!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #230

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoy
It is real easy to see now that we really needed to replace it. One less worry on my mind!
Mine had lost all it's spring over the years, though the new axel also lifted it up about four inches. The biggest difference was in towing it. Now it just glides along behind us. And we don't find everything inside upended when we get where we're going.

Best part is, once it's done, you don't have to think about it again for a LONG time!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:17 AM   #231
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Oregon Coast trip

Tanya, Are you traveling to Portland for a few days before you head to BBB? What I would suggest is head up the coast on 101 to Florence so you can spend a night at Honeyman State Park and play on the awesome sand dunes. Then take Hwy 126 to Eugene and up I-5 to Portland. On your way to the bbb take Hwy 30 or 26 to the coast and then head down 101. I think the best view of the coast is just south of Cannon Beach at Oswald West state park. At the parking lot you can walk though our old Doug Firs ( not as big as your trees)to the beach. Be sure to stop at the pull out at the top of the mountain for a view you won't forget. Next stop would be the Tillamook Cheese factory. From there it is about 2.5 hours to bbb. We are doing just the oppopsite of you. We are heading to the Redwoods a week before bbb. We will make a fast trip down I-5 to Grants Pass, west to the Redwoods for a few days then back up the coast to Newport for the bash. Anyone coming from the south is welcome to caravan with us. Teresa & Glenn

Airstream in 3-D
Old 08-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #232
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Thank you guys for all the great suggestions! We are actually going to Portland Labor Day weekend (oops.. reservations...) to work at my bro-in-law's house- moving staircases and such. After a week there we will be going to Mukilteo, WA for a wedding. So far I have a reservation at Honeyman (only for one night- late notice) and after that we will either try to get in to a SP or just get ourselves to Portland. The more scenic routes sound awesome- but we may just want a safe quick way to get off the roads, depending on the day of travel and the busy weekend for partyers.

Has anyone stayed at the Sea Perch in Yachats? It's closed for construction (unfortunately) but is actually where my husband wanted to stay (he loved surfing Yachats). We might try it on our way to BB later in the month!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:38 AM   #233
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
SC, Glad to help. Have a great trip !

Janet, I will be there Thursday afternoon and I am staying Sunday night. FYI.

I can lend a hand with the set up and take down on those days.

I sure am glad that super shiney Caravel is parked far away from my Caravel. I can't handle the competition . Although we could set up a before and after shot !! lol

It is shaping up to be the best BBR ever !
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #234
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Hwy 18 has just been ground and overlayed from otis to grande ronde. very smooth.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #235
flush riveter

1967 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
kelso , Washington
Smile caravan

So,we are just wondering,what's the latest plan for the caravan to BBB from all points north? We would like to travel on Friday morning,but could be persuaded otherwise if it's most convienent for the majority.It would be fun to get as many to meet up as possible all along the way.We need a wagon master to set the agenda and everyone interested list their cell # so we can co-ordinate.Also CB radios could be helpful. See you all soon,Butch & Beth 360-751-3757
Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #236
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
caravan

I'm up for caravaning from Seattle. I plan to leave around 9am on Friday. It would be fun to travel together. I'm planning to fill up in Vancouver.
Any takers for this trip?
Karen
WBCCI #11508
Seattle, WA
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #237
flush riveter

1967 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
kelso , Washington
Hi Karen.That would put you in Kelso about 11.We were hoping to go a couple hours sooner than that-----but,we'll see.Or maybe you could leave Seattle Thursday nite and spend the nite here with us and go on in the morning from here.We can accomadate several trailers with power and water.Bathroom facilities in the house.So anyone who is passing thru' Kelso is welcome to take a break and spend the nite here.We are right off the freeway exit 36.Hoping to get some takers for this. See ya soon, Butch and Beth
Old 09-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #238

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That's a generous offer! I can confirm that the view alone from Butch & Beth's house is certainly worth dropping by for a visit! Let alone the fact that they are great hosts (and they have a dog who never tires of playing fetch)

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote