Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Antelope , California
Post Best places to camp in Northern California

Hello Everyone,

We are new to the Airstream family with us purchasing a 2008 Safari Sport 17. Our first trim was the Olema campground so we are looking for a new place for our second trip in March. Any help would be appreciated

Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Sacramento , California
Hello!

Did you find more information on campgrounds? I know there is a campground part of the website... but I don't know exactly where. We really like the Tom Stienstra books-- they are published by Foghorn Outdoors and I think I got mine at the Cal Expo REI.
We are a airstream family in East Sac. What kind of camping do you guys like? We mostly dry camp so our favorites might not work for your family. We also find that our choices are heavily influenced by the time of year we are traveling! Maybe one us us can figure out how to move the thread and others will have ideas!

Tikitraveler

Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Sacramento , California
Samuel P. Taylor

We camped at Samuel P. Taylor (only a few miles from Olema) for the first time this weekend. There are no hook-ups, but the restroom and shower facilities were good. The campground was nice and quiet and only about 20% full. The campsites are scattered throughout a redwood forest...a very nice setting. Some spots are a bit tight and some are small and unacceptable for trailers. Overall, this is a great spot if you can get your trailer into the right campsite.
We did see a couple of airstreams at the Olema campground. We have camped there also and enjoyed it. It is a better set-up for trailers and the hook-ups are nice.
Being from Sacramento also, we like Sugar Pine Point in Tahoe and Sly Park/Jenkinson Lake when the weather warms up, if you do not require hook-ups.
We're always looking for new places to try out. Reply back with any new ideas!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Hi ya'll

I'm also here in Sacramento. If you are interested you might want to come join us for a very fun weekend at Casini Ranch. Very laid back and easy going. Here is the original thread.

NorCal Rally, Casini Ranch, April 9-11
Well it's time to mark the calendars for our spring rally at Casini Ranch. The dates are April 9-11 which should coincide with most spring breaks.

Everyone please call Casini 1 (800) 451-8400 ASAP to get reservations.

We will gather in the full hookup section but feel free to reserve a beautiful river site, a short walk away. After making your reservation, post your site number and RSVP on the rally calendar.

For those that don't know, Casini is a special place. Casini Ranch Family Campground is right on the Russian River on a huge old working ranch surrounded by redwoods next to the quaint town of Duncans Mills. Its about 10 miles to the coast and the ranch is just outside the fog line. Exceptionally beautiful area with redwoods, ferns, wild flowers, eagles, herons, jumping salmon, rocky beaches, lush hillsides, and crystal clear air. Check the website for more info.

Click here for Casini Website

NorCal Spring Rally, Casini Ranch, April 9-11 2010 Click here for info
NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 15-17 2010 Click here for info
Come rally with us.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
The BEST place to camp in Nor Cal is Doran Reginal Park in Bodega Bay. It's most famous for being the place where Hitchcock filmed the movie "The Birds" but in all honesty it is just a beautiful park with great sand beaches and views of expensive golfcourse homes. If I had the money I'd live there. We camped there every chance we got. You can horseback ride, bike, play golf, and fish, some weekends the bay will be filled with colorful cattermerans, and it was dog friendly. There is a great small store in "town" with an amazing selection of artisan cheeses and CA wines. It is a Sonoma County Regional Park you can make reservations on their website.
There is another park there as well and we did stay there but too many trees and we missed Doran. We went for the bay views and to be steps from the water. There is a oceanic site there with tours and lovely aquariums for viewing. I could go on and on about the coffee place and the hotdog place. I don't know if Steve has posted pics of our AS in Bodega Bay but if he hasn't I'll try and upload a few so you can get a feel for the campground by looking in his file.

Steve's Wife.... Amber
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood View Post
The BEST place to camp in Nor Cal is Doran Reginal Park in Bodega Bay. It's most famous for being the place where Hitchcock filmed the movie "The Birds" but in all honesty it is just a beautiful park with great sand beaches and views of expensive golfcourse homes. If I had the money I'd live there. We camped there every chance we got. You can horseback ride, bike, play golf, and fish, some weekends the bay will be filled with colorful cattermerans, and it was dog friendly. There is a great small store in "town" with an amazing selection of artisan cheeses and CA wines. It is a Sonoma County Regional Park you can make reservations on their website.
There is another park there as well and we did stay there but too many trees and we missed Doran. We went for the bay views and to be steps from the water. There is a oceanic site there with tours and lovely aquariums for viewing. I could go on and on about the coffee place and the hotdog place. I don't know if Steve has posted pics of our AS in Bodega Bay but if he hasn't I'll try and upload a few so you can get a feel for the campground by looking in his file.

Steve's Wife.... Amber

Isn't Doran right on the peninsula going out into the bay? I can only imagine it being really windy. Great for kite flying.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
East Nicolaus , California
Welcome

I'll second Doran Beach for northern CA.
Try Sunset Beach State Park, near Watsonville for Central CA.
Later in the year, Alpine Lake and/or Calaveras Big Trees off of Hwy 4.

Keep the shiny side up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bodega Bay 2008.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	99368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Beach 2007.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	965.4 KB
ID:	99369  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	99370   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlpineLake2007.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	99371  

wppii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Nice pictures Bill...

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Antelope , California
Anyone ever been to Lake Oroville around this time or River Reflection in the Oroville area?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
We went to Oroville years ago... I think it was our first trip in our '73 Winnebago, a.k.a. the Tikimobile, when we purchased it in '99. It's a public park with hook-ups? I really don't remember much about it except it was pretty open, maybe like a big field with few trees and that we rented a little outboard boat. I think it was mostly fishermen/women who were camping there.
Indian Grinding Rock (Chaw'se) is a good spring destination for dry camping. It is kind of near Jackson. It has surprisingly little poison oak (at least as of last summer-- we went on a freak cold weekend last June, when it was too cold to go up towards Tahoe!) It has an interpretive center and replica bark houses, in addition to the grinding rocks. It's close to cave tours, mine tours, and Daffodil Hill.
On the Bodega Bay conversation, we stayed at Wright's Beach (dry camping, Sonoma State Beach, 10 or so miles north of town) during Spring Break and really liked it. Can't beat sitting around the campfire with a view of the ocean. We didn't have time to try and make the rally at Casini Ranch, but saw at three airstreams headed that way as we were heading home!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #11

1967 17' Caravel
Walnut Creek , California
best places to go during July or August in bay area?

Hi, we are thinking to taking a 10 days or so trip in the bay area with the airstream. which part of the bay area should we visit? Anybody has recommendations?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
We did a few days along the coast north and south of S.F. last week. We weren't to impressed with the campgrounds we checked out between the city and Half Moon Bay so we actually headed back north. Our favorites are Doran Beach, Wright's Beach and Ocean Cove--which is north of Jenner.
We haven't done much camping inland in the bay area--happy travels and hope you find some fun spots!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Yosemite, Columbia, Russian River, The Delta, The City, Bodega, The Redwoods...we've got it all! What's your penchant for pleasure?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We will also be heading north from Los Angeles up to Vancouver WA in October, so we will be keeping an eye on this thread.

WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote