Old 11-09-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Baja Trip, Spring 2006

I think it's high time for another trip to San Felipe in Spring 2006.
Dates are open, i would prefer after Easter, but before the weather gets too hot to be comfortable during the day. This means mid-May at the latest.
Anyone can join. It's a loosely organized event.
We can meet at a location close to the border at Calexico, or somewhere convenient on the way. We can then caravan the 120 or so miles to San Felipe. I would like to stay at Punta Estrella, a few miles south of town. It's boondocking.....don't look for luxury accomodations. They do have crude restrooms and showers.
I am open for dates and suggestions.
for those that just tuned in to the forums, here are a few pages on our last mini forum Rally:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...rip-13460.html

The search function might reveal another 2 or 3 threads on previous trips.

Let's Rally!

Old 11-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
motorhome access

Is there a place to put our motorhome on solid ground, We would hate to have to be towed out! Let us know the dates please.

str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
Is there a place to put our motorhome on solid ground, We would hate to have to be towed out! Let us know the dates please.
No worries, there's plenty terra firma for the Motorhome. All it takes is a spotter that prevents you from plowing into the soft sand. There are no asphalt or concrete pads, though.
The access roads to Punta Estrella are very hard packed. Take a look at our previous Baja trip threads, it shows the area where we like to camp at.
My wife and I are deciding on the dates this week.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Its a longshot for me, but Im going to keep tracking this in the hope that it may pan out. Having time shouldnt be the problem, having money what with gas prices and all may be.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
You might enjoy the photographic opportunities in Baja. I see in your post that you are a photopgrapher.
Baja is a long way from Illinois...I applaud your dedication for trying!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
UWE,

Any chance you could provide some idea of what kind of expenses to expect south of the border? I have never been to the baja and have no idea what to expect. This might be a great way for me to test the waters.

Thanks

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
UWE,

Any chance you could provide some idea of what kind of expenses to expect south of the border? I have never been to the baja and have no idea what to expect. This might be a great way for me to test the waters.

Thanks
Fuel is expensive, beer is cheap. Rustic local food is cheap and very good, tourist restaurants are bad and expensive.
Groceries are plenty in all but the smallest towns, and prices are fair, usually just under the US equivalent.
Camping where I like to camp is ( was?) $ 20.00 a night, which is a total rip-off considering that there's hardly any services available. But it's such a nice spot, that I gladly pay the price for a few nights a year.
Other beaches might be cheaper, some might be more expensive, it all depends what you're looking for. It's rarely a problem to pull of the mainroad, and just boondock someplace you like. If the property belongs to someone, they will come and let you know, or charge you a few bucks. If not, you might stay there for free for several days. It's always nice to stay near a tiny fishing village, for the fresh fish is in abundance, and you can feed a whole caravan for $ 20.00 in fresh fish, straight from the incoming boats.
Here is a site with some good information for Baja, the official San felipe website: http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/
I like to stroll around town looking for bargains, and to shop for supplies, but I'd rather not stay close to town ever again. Norte Americanos and their atv's, dirt bikes and dune buggies put a big dampner on the romance of this otherwise very quaint fishing town.
Dollars ae widely accepted throughout Baja. But the exchange they give is not always in your favor, unless you're at Pemex, their government filling stations. Their registers often are calibrated in both Pesos and Dollares.
So, it's a good idea to convert a couple hundred bucks into Pesos if you are going to stay for a while. It'll be a duffle bag full of colorful money.
I always figure needing about the same money as if I would camp in US, plus a small reserve in cash for emergencies. It's not an expensive place to go, in my opinion.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Uwe,
We live in San Carlos Sonora on the mainland side. We have a house now but before that we r.v.ed in every Mexican state in various trailers and motorhomes.
We havn't given up rving and are back to our "roots" with a 25 foot Safari We are planning a trip after Christmas to Guadalajara for some shopping.
San Philipe is a good place to go particularly for first timers because it a short drive and a car permit isn't necessary and the Sea of Cortez is very senic.
Insurance is necessary, U.S. insurance is no good in Mexico. For a few dollars a day, get full coverage. Liability only is the minimum coverage but offers no protection to loss or damage to your rig.
You must clear Mexican customs but the agents are polite and in most cases the searches are cursory or even non existent. No guns or ammo! An extra bottle of wine is "no problema" but a firearm is big trouble.
Most people have a good time with their r.v.'s in Mexico.
For those who are ready for a follow up trip, San Carlos is a good place to go. It is 260 miles from Nogales, Arizona with a good four lane road all the way. For non boondockers there is one of the best r.v. parks in Mexico, El Mirador. Considering the facilities, rates are moderate.
A car permit is necessary as of now. There is talk of moving the import station south of San Carlos but it hasn't happened yet. A Sonora only permit is free and involves minimum formalities.
Uwe, it is a nice thing for you to do to introduce people to Mexican RVing and for anyone considering the trip, it is a good non caravan way to get your feet wet. Have a great time.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
Having received our Stream' just before the last big Baja adventure we missed out, but definitely looking foward to this time around. Count us in.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #10
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
We're There!

Yes- why break what has become a tradition:
.... a hammock, a case of good cerveza, some firewood, fresh shrimp off the embarcadero, sun glasses, a kayak, an off-road trip in Roger's truck to the 'Valley of the Giants (sahuaro cactus up-close and personal, and perhaps some sand shovelling!!), a saturday night in town c/w margueritas and local color, peace, quiet and hopefully MORE aluminum this time!!
Si Senor Wagonmaster Uwe !

AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #11
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Thumbs up

How did I miss this thread? Count us in.

Vincent & Virginia
Old 11-15-2005, 10:56 PM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Nice!
Looks like we'll have a nice little Rally on our hands!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
We wanna go too!

This sounds like an adventure that we would like to participate in. We met some of you at the NorCal Pismo Rally and would like to tag along, if that's alright. Have you set a date yet? We have a school Spring Break starting April 15 through April 23, which would be perfect timing for us, as it would take a day for us to get down to the San Diego area from Petaluma, before proceeding down to San Felipť (not that our teenagers would want to go...)

Waiting to hear the latest....

Hasta la Vista!

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:34 PM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminati
Have you set a date yet? We have a school Spring Break starting April 15 through April 23
Hasta la Vista!
That's pretty much Easter, and the following week in 2006. Lots of Spring breakers and Easter tourists in and around town. Too busy, besides, we got family obligations during that time, Easter, birthdays etc.