Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #61
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
I am in the Process of obtaining a 2006 23' Special Edition Safari w bay windows (trying to get the best interest rate).. should have everything wrapped up by March 4th.

I live in Yucca Valley, and go all the time to SF. I stay at Rancho Percebu, south of town, when camping.

However, will try another campsite. No Prob-le-mo.

Count me in if March 4th is a go!

Hart
HHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #62
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP
I am in the Process of obtaining a 2006 23' Special Edition Safari w bay windows (trying to get the best interest rate).. should have everything wrapped up by March 4th.

I live in Yucca Valley, and go all the time to SF. I stay at Rancho Percebu, south of town, when camping.

However, will try another campsite. No Prob-le-mo.

Count me in if March 4th is a go!

Hart
Hart
Go to the rally calender and sign up for the event.
We'll finalize the convoy details this week and post them.
Anyone else coming who's not signed up???
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #63
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
I am on it!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #64
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Getting Close!!!

I just had my boss sign my vacation request form! So long as Vince keeps his schedule clear and the kids don't throw a monkey wrench into it, we are going to be there!!

Seeing as this is our first trip south of the border, we'd definitely like to meet up and caravan with other folks.

Sandy beaches are calling my name . . . .

Virginia
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #65
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I am getting excited. My wife and I need a getaway really bad. It's been a really busy Jan/Feb for us.

Virginia, you guys and us seem to be closest together. We should plan to travel together, or perhaps meet somewhere near El Centro.
On one of our Baja trips we stopped at Rio Bend RV park for the night. It is outside of El Centro, and makes for a great stopover, since it is close to the border. This is a snowbird park, and they have lots of room in March.
This might be a great meeting spot Tuesday night, or Wednesday AM, or whenever.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #66
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Uwe,

Traveling together, or meeting in El Centro both sound good. We'd probably be leaving here (Riverside) mid-morning Wednesday, after the major commute has ended.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether we ought to take Interstate 15 south to San Diego to 8 East OR take Interstate 10 East to 86 south past the Salton Sea? Anyone have mapping software that could tell me the milage difference between the two?

Also, anyone bringing rugrats? Mikey (age 6) is coming along - mainly cause his big sisters (15 and 18) don't want to look after him . . . hmmm, I wonder why?

Virginia
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
stay inland!

We have tried both and the 15 going thru San Diego you hit lots of traffic. We go thru Palm Springs to 86 to Brawley etc. Our plans are still not concrete but leaning towards leaving the LA area between 10-11 on Tuesday the 14th and overnighting in El Centro.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #68
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
We have tried both and the 15 going thru San Diego you hit lots of traffic. We go thru Palm Springs to 86 to Brawley etc. Our plans are still not concrete but leaning towards leaving the LA area between 10-11 on Tuesday the 14th and overnighting in El Centro.
Virginia:
I agree with Ron & Debbie. I've done it both ways and milage is exactly the same for me. Being that you have a leg-up on Palm Springs that would surely be my choice and you also avoid a mountain pass.
I have'nt got Kay's schedule yet so not sure when we'll leave but we'll firm that up shortly. We'll be the doing #86 route. I'm really jamming to get the '57 Flying Cloud ready and it'll be down to the wire!!!
AIR #189

Old 03-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #69
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Virginia,
for you guys, 86 is a better way to go, since you're part way to Palm Springs already.
I prefer 5/805/8, simply because the scenery is much nicer. Mileage is almost identical for us.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #70
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Run for the border !

Well, upon checking with my co-pilot, it appears she has an important meeting on the Wednesday that will have me idling in the parking lot in Burbank until roughly 3:00 PM ! We may only make Desert H.S. on that day.
Anyone who wants to meet up with us there will be able to have a mineral springs soak before the long run for the border. Looks like you El Centro Campo folks will be staking things out for us to arrive in Thurs. aft.
AIR #189

Old 03-05-2006, 11:22 PM   #71
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
How about a meeting point a Rio Bend RV park in El Centro? For example, we could plan on leaving at Rio Bend at 10:00 AM Wednesday, and caravan to San Felipe from there. http://www.riobendrvgolfresort.com/
I can be reached by cell phone,if someone is running late. I am also entirely open to other suggestions. We could as well all meet at Desert Hot Springs.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #72
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Greetings honorable Airstream Owners:

Your viewpoints, please...

I was hoping that I could take my 2006 23' SE home from the dealer this last Saturday, for a shake down and a crash course of hitching and unhitching my trailer. It is now scheduled for pick up this Saturday, March 11th.

I am brand new to Trailering (read ignorant). I have been reading like crazy. I am going early next Saturday for the dealer "run through" and taking my baby home.

My question is: The rest of the family cannot make it I would be the only one going to SF, on my maiden voyage with my AS....

Since I am so new to RV-ing, am "I pushing it" with my new trailer by joining this caravan to SF?

Hell, I have never had the experience of backing up a hitch to a trailer, not to mention not having a family member to help guide me....

I want to go, but am I moving too fast....?

Hart
Old 03-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Rio Bend works for us

We will mostly likely arrive Tues afternoon at Rio Bend, 1000 Wed start time sounds great Debbie
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #74
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Why Not ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP
Greetings honorable Airstream Owners:

Your viewpoints, please...

I was hoping that I could take my 2006 23' SE home from the dealer this last Saturday, for a shake down and a crash course of hitching and unhitching my trailer. It is now scheduled for pick up this Saturday, March 11th.

I am brand new to Trailering (read ignorant). I have been reading like crazy. I am going early next Saturday for the dealer "run through" and taking my baby home.

My question is: The rest of the family cannot make it I would be the only one going to SF, on my maiden voyage with my AS....

Since I am so new to RV-ing, am "I pushing it" with my new trailer by joining this caravan to SF?

Hell, I have never had the experience of backing up a hitch to a trailer, not to mention not having a family member to help guide me....

I want to go, but am I moving too fast....?

Hart
Hart:
There's no question your A/S will be able to do it and as long as the dealer goes over your hitch and o'k's your tow vehicle to haul it, you're good to go!
You can hook up with me Wed. night or early thurs morn. and anyone else laying over in Desert Hot Springs and we'll convoy from there.
What is your tow vehicle and who installed what type of hitch?
You'll be in good company and it would be a perfect 'shakedown' trip. Your rig will be the only virgin in Mexico!!
AIR #189

Old 03-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #75
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Muarry:
Thanks for your positive thoughts (Just what the doctor ordered). I needed a nudge as a "first timer".....

My dealer, California RV in Fontana, will be installing my electric brake and a Equalizer brand hitch, when I pick up my AS this Saturday.

My tow vehicle is a Hummer 2005 H2. The nice part is that when camping in SF, I lower my psi 20 and the Hummer does very well cruising up and down the beach, or just general off roading in Baja....so get ready to do some wheeling down the beach!

You want to head out Thursday Am, instead of Wednesday?

Hart

Old 03-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #76
_

. , .
wow this sounds like a fun rally wish i could go.....
really i want to spend several weeks air n' in baja.

hhp...
exciting a new trailer....
and think of all those rally folks to school you on the spot!!

one suggestion on delivery....

i suggest you plan to spend at least one night at the dealer...as a sleep over...then you can play with everything. if anything doesn't work or you need more instruction....cover those issues the next morning..

also since you are a complete newbie to hitchin' and towin'.....
i'd take it for a drive...out and back from the dealer....
when you get back to the dealer practice backing in their lot...
think of it as an rv park!
in fact i would ask the sales/service/hitch person to go for a ride with you, while towing....
this is the quickest way to do the adjustments and they still have a vested interest in you.

so many post delivery headaches and potential "wish i'd never purchased this piece of crap" thoughts can be solved by not leaving the dealer until everything works, is screwed together, not leaking and so on...

loads of posts here from those happy folks who have done this AND the really unhappy folk who have not....

do not accept the trailer with issues......it's theirs until you do....

but the issues are yours after signing.....

just a thought...

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #77
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Uwe and everyone else going on this trip,
Have a fun and safe trip. I wish we had the time to join you. Maybe next time....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #78
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Thumbs up

Hart
We'll be overnighting Wed. in Sam's RV Park slightly E. of Desert Hot Springs. We'll leave early Thurs. A.M.
I wanted to give you the option of staying with us Wed. or meeting up early Thurs. Not sure which works best for you since you are so close in Y.V.
Your H2 will be great for a tour of The Valley of the Giants, where the giant sauhuaro cactus dwell.!
Glad to be able to warm up your 'cold feet' !! Gonna be fun. Bring a hammock if you have one.
AIR #189

Old 03-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #79
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
2air: Thanks for the info, I will call dealer and let them know Im comming out friday night! Thanks!!

Muarry: OK! I will meeet up with you at Sam's RV Thursday am...let me know what time is blastoff.....woooooooweeeeeyeaaaaaaa!

Hasta

Hart
Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I would love to dig my feet into the warm sand and then refill my margarita from the pitcher sitting on the Overlander countertop. Raise a glass to those of us still parked in the driveway, sitting in cold weather. Have a great trip!
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote