Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Area 33 - 2011

It's almost time!. Just a few weeks till we meet in Area 33!
Reserved dates: May 27 - 30
Please sign up on the rally calendar

The basics: This rural spot has a group camp area with fire ring - wood included, great views, a babbling brook, 2 lovely porto-lets and a potable water spigot. If you want to shower you can drive a couple of miles down the road to the county park or swim in the creek (elk will be watching...) Camping is in a grassy but not level field with some sparse trees - no sand, gravel or asphalt slabs anywhere! Plan to boondock and arrive with full water tanks and empty dump tanks.

Parking takes some planning and may be somewhat challenging. Almost all sites require backing but there is always help if you need it and an audience if you don't Almost everyone will need to unhitch and park tow vehicles away from trailers. Camping fees are yet to be determined but will be approximately $16 per night (cash and check only). This fee extends to each tent pitched as well.

Area 33 - more farm-less park.
Hollenbeck Park located near Trout Lake WA
33 Mt Adams Rd.
Owners:Zoe and Gerald Wood

Directions: From Hwy 141 North bound - Mt Adams Hwy
  • Bear right at Chevron Station (road splits) in town and go about 1/8 mile across creek. fair warning - town is hard to recognize - a small market or two - that's all. This intersection is near the County campground
  • Left at 3-way intersection - look for sign to park. Go about 300 feet down driveway
  • Right at sign to Hollenbeck park.
  • Drive down old runway 1900 ft (see hanger on left) to end of the runway. Cross irrigation ditch.
  • Camping to the left - we get the area with the fire pit and picnic table.. Please be careful about water spigots.
Just go ahead and park. One of the owners will come by on a small motorbike to collect. They do not take plastic! Checks OK.

Dumping: there is no dump station here - but the County park - seen on map quest link does have a dump station. You may dump "not too gray" water out of the way. Don’t ask - don’t tell.

This place is not in any phone book and the directions are kinda like a treasure hunt. The owners work at day jobs and do not advertise. Some portion of this land is a working farm.

Garbage: Must be packed out or taken to county collection station several miles away.

Connectivity: last year we had decent ATT cell service and some internet
Rain: Be prepared - bring a book.
Waiting list: Please let me know if you are interested in attending and unable to get a spot. This rally location has limited parking space but once the list is full we may have cancellations - anything is possible.
Cancellations: If you cannot make it please let me know - there will a waiting list to attend.

here's a mapquest map

Meals and activities:
Meal planning will commence on the next post.
Planed activities - none.
Suggested diversions:
There are great hiking trails, good biking, an ice cave and white water kayaking nearby if you are so inclined.
Kite flying - excellent conditions
Long walks
If you must bring aluminum foil...This year the aluminum foil costume contest is back. Anyone interested in participating is advised to pack in their own foil and appear at 5 PM Sunday evening dressed as your favorite historical character, real or imagined. Only foil and natural materials (sticks, rocks, moss, etc) may be used to make these creations. If you to bend the rules, we don't want to know about it.

Here is a picture from the campground: http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...i=19129&c=3191

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We will have group meals on Friday and Saturday night as well as Sunday morning. You are however free to make your own plans if a better offer comes along.

We'll bring a couple of big stoves and cooking gear but we want to be on holiday and would like some help. Assistance with scullery work and a brave person to organize a Sunday night dinner would be appreciated. Our cooking gear is available to use.

Facilities are limited and so we need to keep clean up really simple (no hot water). I'll edit this post with food additions as we go along - please check back here. Please sign up via PM or post to this thread.

Thursday night: A few of us will be in on Thursday. I am bringing a case of spiny deliciousness for an impromptu artichoke festival. Steamed chokes, wine and bread on the side. (BYO Wine). Gary says he can't subsist on just artichokes so he's grilling steak as well. Feel free to share the grill

Janet - Chokes for all & Lemon butter, crispy-ish bread
Chris J - steak and bakers
Gary - steak
L &C Woogie - steak and salad
LTD30 - Aoili dip for the artichokes, Almond Roca Buttercrunch bar

State Fair Friday night: Hot dogs and Brats w/ grilled onions and peppers. An easy Friday meal for those who braving the Friday afternoon traffic rush. We'll bring the dogs, buns and peppers n onions but could use a few side dishes. Sign up for desserts, sides, chips, ketchup, etc. You are responsible for your own drinks.

Janet - Dogs, buns and peppers/onions
Chris - brats and condiments
stefrbrts - cheesy potato casserole
L&C Woogie - cheesy scalloped potato and pepper/spinach/chicken sausages
2Taylors - chips and dessert
64 lawncondo - corn
JDL - Pie
Not DOne - Egg Roles and a Mango w/coconut sauce dessert
LTD 3o - veggies/dillweed dip for the fair

----

Saturday night
: Mediterranean Pot Luck. Be brave! You are responsible for your own drinks.

----

Sunday B-fast: Eggs cooked to order, fresh corn tortillas and ham.
Good additions would be: Juice, coffee, picante bits for eggs, grated cheddar, hot baked cinnamon rolls (several pans), fruit. Please sign up via PM or post to this thread.

Janet - eggs, ham and corn tortillas for all
Stefrbrts - farm fresh eggs
Chris - OJ
2Taylors - salsa and coffee
LTD30 - cinnamon pull-aparts
JDL - Shredded cheese
----

Sunday dinner: If some brave person wants to take this on please message me, other wise we can have a pot luck.

Drinks - Chris J will bring a giant cooler of sodas and water. Please add to it over the weekend. You are responsible for your own adult beverages .

Green Visor Crew -

Scullery help
- by appointment or conscription

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Waa Hoo !

I am soo ready to for this rally. I will bring all the usual stuff, canopies, propane, patio heater, lights etc. Carol and I will be up on Thursday afternoon barring any unforeseen circumstances.

I will bring along a huge cooler (64 quart) full of bottled water, pop, and a few beers to share. I encourage everyone to use it to keep shared beverages cold. I will be refilling with ice throughout the weekend. Ice donations are appreciated.

I vote for potluck on Sunday or maybe a leftover feast as we seem to have quite a few leftovers. We will contribute a few daytime snacks etc for everyone to enjoy.

Put me down for Brats and Buns if needed, plus some condiments.
OJ for the breakfasts.
I'll bring some steak or chicken and baked potato to add for Thursday.

We will work on the Saturday night addition.

I hope JD brings a few pies and I swear I won't eat the whipped cream this time.

I think I might just call in sick for the month, go up there and wait for everyone to show up. Can you say stoked !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Will be making up some home made frijoles! Bringing our 35' MH this year - Aliens beware! We have extra power this year! Anyone wanting power can park in proximity to our 5.5 kw genset! More power for the band
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
1959 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
We are really looking forward to this as well, but can't arrive until Friday.
We'll bring chips and dessert for Friday, salsa and coffee for the breakfast and something really tasty for Saturday night, just not sure what it will be yet! Chris, we'll also bring beverages for the community cooler.
Susan
2Taylors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
We're stoked as well!

It's been too long already....so we're ready to rally! We've sold our Argosy to a couple in Irrigon, OR, so won't be coming in our Argy! Yeah!! I know it's hard to let go of something you spend two months in a trip to Alaska, but we just couldn't keep both trailers up. So we'll bring our 28' CCD and genset!

Now for the food.......I like the 4CU's approach to their rallies.....if it's truly a potluck.....then nobody reveals what they're bringing.....but it all works out.......so you know we can be counted on to bring something good to eat each and every meal. We just won't bring pies! We think that will always be covered if JD is there! So we won't be tellin' ya what we're bringin' until we show up!!

Anxious to see each and every one of you ........after all.... you're family!

Jim & Cheryl

PS....guess we'll have to change our Avatar!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm View Post
I agree, it's been way too long - I'm ready to rally!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Quote:
It's been too long already....so we're ready to rally! We've sold our Argosy to a couple in Irrigon, OR, so won't be coming in our Argy! Yeah!! I know it's hard to let go of something you spend two months in a trip to Alaska, but we just couldn't keep both trailers up. So we'll bring our 28' CCD and genset!

Now for the food.......I like the 4CU's approach to their rallies.....if it's truly a potluck.....then nobody reveals what they're bringing.....but it all works out.......so you know we can be counted on to bring something good to eat each and every meal. We just won't bring pies! We think that will always be covered if JD is there! So we won't be tellin' ya what we're bringin' until we show up!!

Jim & Cheryl

PS....guess we'll have to change our Avatar!
Yes - you guessed it PIE.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
Yes - you guessed it PIE.
Your prolly should bring an extra can of whipped cream in case Chris has another personal pleasure emergency

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
We, too, are ready to roll! Really looking forward to this rally and seeing you all.
Bringing: Thurs.: steak and salad Fri.: bubbly- cheesy -scalloped 'taters and pepper/spinach/chicken sausages, Sat. Italian ??
Sunday brkfst: dunno yet! (we vote for eve. potluck...they've always been good) let's keep it loose
Chris, we'll donate beverages and ice too! Thnx for bringing yer lg. cooler. Janet/Gary-it's always a big thnx and hooray for you!
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Your prolly should bring an extra can of whipped cream in case Chris has another personal pleasure emergency
LoL ! I am coming pre-pared this time.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ok, I know to stay away from Chris's personal stash of stuff! I like Jim's idea of a surprise potluck! I can't even think what I'm making for dinner tonight! Just know I'll be bringing some food.....

Can't wait to dewinter the Argy.... I haven't seen it in months.. hope it's still there!
Excited! Please leave the landing lights on for us.....
Any bets this year for arrival time?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Excited! Please leave the landing lights on for us.....
Any bets this year for arrival time?
Marc

No but I'll be interested to see if you get in before my band mates do - one is coming there directly from a business trip and may be quite late

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
I want to get there early, I need all the time to relax I can get!

I think we'll be bringing the usual cheesy potato casserole, for Friday dinner, and I don't know what else right now.

We have discovered a local butcher who makes incredible maple bacon, and chicken cordon bleu sausages - and I plan to bring some of each to share because they are insanely good!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I want to get there early, I need all the time to relax I can get!

I think we'll be bringing the usual cheesy potato casserole, for Friday dinner, and I don't know what else right now.

We have discovered a local butcher who makes incredible maple bacon, and chicken cordon bleu sausages - and I plan to bring some of each to share because they are insanely good!

Awesome!

We still have a room for a couple more trailers. Who are we missing?

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Who are we missing?

Did you invite Audiobox (Craig & Jane)?

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Did you invite Audiobox (Craig & Jane)?

Jim

Yes - they are in the middle of moving to the midwest.
On a fun note - michelle, mary and gail are coming again. Michelle has a cool new carbon fiber cello that she might let us walbernize

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
We are excited to join you all. We have a different bambi 2004 19'. We will make sure to bring enough food and wine to share. Love Mediterranean. Carmella and I are looking forward to seeing everyone. Love camping!
Ruth
Mame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the new rig.

My band mates are coming along and Gail and Garys sister will be filling out the tent section One of my guitar students and her partner would also like to join us but have a square camper and are wondering if they will be shunned. On the upside, they have Airsteam lust so there is a conversion opportunity Bev is an ER doc and Rene teaches and they have some serious need of a weekend away.

We are really looking forward to this - it's our first trip of the year and highly overdue.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
I don't think we're the sort of group to shun people - we're too busy having a good time!

Speaking of which, I'll be bringing two dogs this time, so I hope no one shuns me (or forgets to invite me to the next rally after this)

Tags
area 33, nws, rally