Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2008, 11:58 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Question on travel route from California...

This is for anyone with knowledge or a good guidebook!

Last year on our way to Area 33 we took 2 days traveling from Yreka. We started off on Highway 97 and drove north through Bend, Oregon and on to Maupin via 197 and then to Dallesport before heading back west to Trout Lake. We spent the night at The Cove Palisades State Park near Madras, Oregon. It was a great little spot and we hadn't been there before.

Thought I would ask if anyone had any ideas of a different route or camping spot along the way this year other than Interstate 5. We do prefer to stay off the interstate if we can. We thought this year we might stop twice on our way up... so, any and all suggestions of interesting places to camp are welcomed. We're fine either boondocking or having full hookups...

Thanks in advance!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

Janet, May have to camo another tent. I went to the Stub Stewart rally this weekend and sold the Tradewind! Time is a little short between now and then to get another one ready. I suppose I could just move into the trunk of the Pontiac - maybe add a tin foil slide-out. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #83
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Janet, May have to camo another tent. I suppose I could just move into the trunk of the Pontiac - maybe add a tin foil slide-out. Darol

Congrats on the sale though... The tent dwellers had a great time last year. A few more would be just dandy.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Way to go Darol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Janet, May have to camo another tent. I went to the Stub Stewart rally this weekend and sold the Tradewind! Time is a little short between now and then to get another one ready. I suppose I could just move into the trunk of the Pontiac - maybe add a tin foil slide-out. Darol
Good for you Darol. Now, be sure and come to Area 33 no matter what!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
St. Helens , Oregon
Janet, we're very, very new to AIR Forums, and would like to try this Rally. BTW, it has been given enthusiastic recommendation by LTD30 (we met Bob and Susan last weekend at the WBCCI "Stub" Stewart Rally. Let us know what we can bring food-wise. Home-baked bread? Dutch oven Cowboy beans? Pecan praline cheesecake? What's appropriate?
Jim and Nancy
James Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #86
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi - you are welcome to come. Check the first couple of posts to figure out what to bring. This is a do-it-yourself rally and fairly free form.

Just be sure to come with empty holding tanks and full water tanks!

AirForums Custom Search
Old 04-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Bend , Oregon
A few ideas on route.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
This is for anyone with knowledge or a good guidebook!

Quote:
Last year on our way to Area 33 we took 2 days traveling from Yreka. We started off on Highway 97 and drove north through Bend, Oregon and on to Maupin via 197 and then to Dallesport before heading back west to Trout Lake.
Claudia ( and Don),
We took that same route last year from Bend.
On the 97 route, there is a small lake w/ primitive camping on the other side of the hwy from where you turned to go to "the Cove".
Maupin has a city park with camping on the river. Dufer also has a city park with hook ups and showers at the pool.... funny little small farm town, a step back in time...
We have also gone up Hwy 26 and crossed over on Hwy 35 at the base of Mt. Hood..... you have the elevation climb and you have to cross the scary bridge at Hood River! If you take that route there is a county campground called Tollbridge Park, haven't stayed there, but I've been told is a nice park. Might need reserv., though since holiday weekend. I do love seeing the orchards along Odell / Parkdale area, heading into Hood River.

If you need a place to stop in the Bend area, you are welcome to park at our house and plug in. We even have a shower in the back studio ( "the roost")The ceilings are about as tall as the Bambi....maybe lower ....but our 6 ' boys seem to manage, when they visit, so can't be all bad.

We are hoping to head out Thursday afternoon and stay in route, so we get to area 33 early friday....
Patsi
AIR #353
64 Lawncondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Patsi,

Oh thanks for the info! The county parks are something I usually don't think about as I usually search online or in the zillion camping type books I own. Thanks for the offer at your place too! We have had a couple nice offers so we are going to plan our trip and see how it all works out! We may take you up on the offer... but will let you know first to be sure it isn't inconvenient for you as we will likely travel midweek.

This should be a great time again! We are really looking forward to it!

Claudia
aka: Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #89
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
We Too Please

Hi Janet,
After sending the PM yesterday;
'We were talking with Glenn, Teresa, Susan & Bob this past weekend at Stubb Stewart about the Area 33 rally. Lyn & I would like to join all of you. Is there still room? How do we sign up, pay, & whatever? Can we bring stuff to help out?'
I read the rally sheet and this thread more carefully and noticed the sign up button on the rally sheet, clicked it & we seem to be in -- hope that's OK. I understand we pay when there with real money vs. plastic (I like it when my customers do the same).

We will ring some stuff to share (Need to go over some ideas with she who is not here at the moment). And we will both be glad to help out with Sunday night's supper prep, cleanup, and/or other necessaries.

Do you think an aluminum wind soc up high like in the pic below would help confuse those Romulan pilots?
Walt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S_Stewart_FlagPole.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	905.6 KB
ID:	58449  
Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Eugene , Oregon
Is there going to be an aluminum hat contest this year?

Here is a picture for inspiration:

Metalhead: 1942 | Shorpy :: History in HD

Brad
Kintscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #91
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintscher
Is there going to be an aluminum hat contest this year?

Here is a picture for inspiration....
hi brad

that's one of the SCARIEST pictures i've seen in a while.

clearly a woman possessed by aliens.

while last years hats did provide some protection, infiltration was inevitable, those still around on monday suffered the most.

we might consider aluminum undergarments this year, to protect our offspring and future generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Don wanted to know if he could substitute facial hair for the chest waxing...
his doctor made an error and overprescribed two vials of happy pills.... hummmm...
please bring the extra pills, in fact EVERYONE should bring extra medication.

we'll need it for personal use AND for trade/barter with the locals...

really colorful capsules and odd shaped pills were the most valuable last year...

yes c' facial hair can be used, but the waxing technique is a little different...

(see photo of rally go'er BEFORE WAXING)

in fact we'll add a tie dye session for improving the look of this white stuff after woven into clothing...

also due to popular (subliminal) request there are some exciting new additions to the event schedule...

-advanced dumpster diving (must have taken the intro course last year)...

we'll take a field trip into town and learn all the advance scouting and submersion tricks, including 'head first into the can'...

on the health side, we've lined up a galaxially respected expert to speak on...

-"acid reflux in weightless environments, how NOT to spill your cookies!"

-an evening walking tour of the local area on 'how to detect and enjoy everyday hazardous materials found on the ground' ...

camp sites and space....

all of the waterfront camping sites are taken, and so are the mountain view sites.

but given our ability to park trailers several layers HIGH or ON END, there's still plenty of room for newbies...

volunteers...

the planning committee still needs some volunteers.....

-we need a few folks with shovels to arrive early and fill the sink holes, no experience required,

but bring extra shovels, to replace those that melt.

-we need a few more people for late nite patrol , skill in any alien dialect AND experience with intestinal implants and probes required.

-the clean up committee is still in need of some supplies, everyone please bring one barrel of napalm for the departure roast...

more details to follow after the latest messages are decoded...

2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jojo.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	58454  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
conway , Washington
'a plan'

Hi Patsi
Do WE have a plan yet?!?! or know what we're doing?!
Carolyn
paisanochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Bend , Oregon
Sunday Dinner....hummmm

Well..... there is always the ugly sunday sweater contest and smorgasborg?
Weather permitting on the sweaters...Oh yeah its May in the Mts..... and what ever anyone has left, smorgasborg.

...or everyone still there Sunday, makes something easy to serve and eat, from your own trailer setup. Theme decor opptional...you know how we like an excuse to set up a few knickknacks
Think, street vendor food, progressive wandering around eating.
Keep it simple easy to serve and eat...
Well I about hurt my brain on that one.....any other ideas?
AIR #353
64 Lawncondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
conway , Washington
Missed you at Stub Stewart rally...see email
Let's decide, via emails/phone calls or pm's, on our ????? Sunday night madness/fun!
Janet: Patsi, Jerry, Loren and I are putting our heads together for Sunday...we will post our plans;

C~
Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #95
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Perfect. Keep me posted and I can add to the food lists in the early posts.

Our cooking gear is available if needed.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Left overs smorgasborg!

[quote=64 Lawncondo]and what ever anyone has left, smorgasborg. quote]

Last year we all reached back into the depths of our cupboards and refrigerators and came up with a great dinner! I would vote to do this again. But I am "game" for what anyone suggests ~ food and I get along well.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
conway , Washington
Thanks Janet, for the offer of your 'cookstove' , we'll let you know!
Do you have a 'count' yet, of those staying over Sunday night?

Claudia, yes, last year's 'smorgasbord' WAS good; thanks for being 'open' to a possible change. We don't want to get in-a-rut or stale, or predictable!! Are you game?

Carolyn
Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Carolyn,

Yup, we're game... but remember my fridge is only 2 cubic feet.

Claudia
Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
Food!

I just love it when you talk "food" ,,,,,,.........
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #100
Alumicult in Oregon

1968 28' Ambassador
Currently Looking...
Seaside , Oregon
Teresa (BluePearl) and I were thinking about something we have done with our family. We pick a day of the week and call it Taco Sunday. If this would work for the group we would provide the meat and if other campers would bring additional ingredients we would plan on that for Sunday night. We might need some additional volunteers to put it all together, but I'm sure everyone will be hungry by Sunday night. After all the Aliens wouldn't want skinny under weight humans for their experiments. If this works please let me or Blue Pearl know.
edgeman is offline   Reply With Quote